Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Royce White is done.

Default Royce White is done.

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Royce White is done.

So he gives up the dream of being an NBA player because he is scared of being on an airplane. Wow...

That's too bad, I was rooting for him. Seems like a good guy at heart but he's got issues and for all his talk about mental health I don't think he's totally accepted his own problems yet. He might just not have the mental make up to be a pro basketball player. It's not the worst thing in the world, a lot of people don't. Hope everything works out for him.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LeRyan07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So he gives up the dream of being an NBA player because he is scared of being on an airplane. Wow...
    I won't hate on him for his fear of flying, he can't help that.

I don't even think that is why he won't be in the NBA, I think it is his attitude towards everything that have had so many people sour on him.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good so long and good riddance i hope we never hear this mans name ever again.

#bewell friend
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't write him off just yet, but he needs to take a year or two off and get help.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post

#bewell friend
    amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    I think it is his attitude towards everything that have had so many people sour on him.
    Yep. Last week he got thrown out of a preseason game for attitude. This isn't just an "I don't like planes" thing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I wouldn't write him off just yet, but he needs to take a year or two off and get help.
    Nah, I'm going to go ahead and write him off. Truth be told, I wrote him off midway through last year.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

This could be completely medical and no fault of his. However, it is likely some of both. If so, it is sad to see guys like this (possibly) and David Harrison and others talk about how they screwed up . . . when it's too late.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

17. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I do hope those of you who are still being hoodwinked by White's sociopathy never come into email contact with a Nigerian prince, because if you do, you're going to become very broke, very quickly.

Mood

Come on guys, the thread title clearly implies that he's done for the preseason...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's not uncommon for a company to make adjustments for those with certain physical or mental challenges. In fact it's a kind thing to do to accommodate someone who through no fault of their own has to deal with a disorder. However, if a company makes those accommodations and then the employee doesn't come to work or misses an unreasonable amount of time that company has the right to let that employee go. The same could happen if that employee repeatedly complains about their job or employer after these accommodations have been made. I think one of the biggest issues is that Royce White came to the NBA expecting them to change and make MAJOR exceptions for him and make them the way he wanted them made.

He's going to have a big struggle on his hands no matter what type of career he goes on to have unless he comes to realize that not every type of employment is suitable for a person with his type of disorder. There's no such thing as the perfect job and even if you're doing something you love there is going to be some adversity. Learning how to effectively deal with adversity on the job is an important part of having a successful life. I hope he can learn how to do that while he's still young.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Boiling this down to his fear of flying is a huge simplification of the problem. The guy clearly has much deeper issues than that.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    I do hope those of you who are still being hoodwinked by White's sociopathy never come into email contact with a Nigerian prince, because if you do, you're going to become very broke, very quickly.
    Not sure I follow you here. Who in this thread do you think is being hoodwinked?

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Not sure I follow you here. Who in this thread do you think is being hoodwinked?
    Do me a favor and refrain from quoting that again.

FYI, it's convinced that mental illness is a myth and a crutch used by people to get attention and absolve themselves of responsibility.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Some have insinuated that this is just about fear of flying. Nobody knows exactly how bad White's mental issues are, Klosterman's piece on Grantland ( http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...an-royce-white) was very reveailing, starting with the part where he brought some unknown people to sit in with him for the interview, one of which wouldn't even give Klosterman his name. I can't decide whether Royce White has Borderline Personality Disorder or is a sociopath. One thing I'm pretty sure of is the Royce White is trying to manipulate his way into getting a guaranteed contract where he doesn't actually have to be on the team. I think he's made young Jamaal Tinsley his role model in life.

I'm pretty sure he's not going to get a guaranteed contract, and if he wants one, this was not the way to do it. There's no manipulation at play here. Once this season is over he will not get another penny from the NBA.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-25-2013 at 11:46 AM.

I'm pretty sure he's not going to get a guaranteed contract, and if he wants one, this was not the way to do it. There's no manipulation at play here. Once this season is over he will not get another penny from the NBA.
    Never said he was going about it the right way. I feel like once he's exhausted his chances to catch on with a team, he'll try to sue the NBA under the ADA and get paid that way. I think that getting a contract while acting crazy was Plan A. Bringing suit against the League may be Plan B. Or, as inscrutable as he is, he could just have a chemical imbalance and a strong sense of justice and refuses to march to the beat of anyone else's drum. In that case, I think he'll quit the league, and that'll be that, very little harm done.

There's no ground to stand on here. The NBA and the players' union have a collective bargaining agreement. He can file a grievance with them, but that won't go anywhere.

He got cut, like every other player that gets cut. The ADA doesn't protect him from being fired from the Sixers. His contract is still being honored.

He's mentally ill. Not hard to see that. He's in no condition to be playing in the NBA, and maybe that will sink in now that he's jobless, and he'll go about getting real help so he can have his career back. If not, so be it.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-25-2013 at 12:25 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post

#bewell friend
    Why so hard on the guy? We all make decisions in life that we feel are best for us that no one else may agree with. We live we learn it's a growing process. Seriously why are we so judgmental towards our fellow man?
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

33. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Anyone naive enough to believe that White is a helpless victim of mental illness, rather than a willfully awful human being who's turned a diagnosis into a crutch to absolve himself of any personal responsibility for his behavior. Whether or not that includes you... well, I don't want to fall into personal attacks, so I'll say no more.

Just be wary of Nigerian princes. #bewell

Banned
    Mood

Do me a favor and refrain from quoting that again.

FYI, it's convinced that mental illness is a myth and a crutch used by people to get attention and absolve themselves of responsibility.
    FYI, KStat is either lying or is once again showing his underdeveloped thinking ability.

At no point have I said that mental illness is a myth or a crutch used by people to get attention and absolve themselves of personal responsibility. My criticism has been directed solely at Royce White and the naive fools who coddle him, thereby helping give White reason to continue his behavior.

If, rather than mindlessly running to his defense, the entire world started holding White accountable for his behavior, I'm willing to bet his "mental illness" would be "miraculously healed" in no time.
    Last edited by Lance George; 10-25-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Extensive travel has been a part of the nba since the begining. I agree with those who think he was using the anxiety gig to his advantage. From the very begining, he had nothing but a littany of complaints about how the rockets were doing nothing for him but I never heard a peep from him about even TRYING to meet them half-way. I think he really believes he could get away with not traveling with the team but still get paid like was. I get nervous flying but if I am looking at an nba contract, I think i'd just suck it up

He put far more time and effort into fighting the Rockets than he would have had to simply play for them. This wasn't about him trying to get over on them. The contract was guaranteed for the first 2 years anyway.

Also, you aren't mentally ill, to my knowledge. "Suck it up" is not an option for Royce White. He needs help, but first he needs to admit he can't handle his problem the way he's handling it now.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-25-2013 at 01:49 PM.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post: