Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Alma Mater

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Your Alma Mater

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes it is private sadly and crazy expensive. I have a 4.0 somehow at Ivy Tech ( I have come so long from my Warren Central days where I just didn't give a f about school) I just joined Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Theta Kappa. I am hoping a few colleges offer me a full ride. I can get 20k off of Xavier 32k tuition because of my grades. At IU I should get a few grand off.

I really like Xavier's staff and I am confident I can earn being a student manager there so I really like that idea. Honestly i don't care much about the school's as long as I can work with the basketball team. I might go the route that xavier's director of basketball ops went. He went to IU for undergrad and got hired at Xavier and got his grad degree paid for.

I plan to work the IU camps this summer(I am hopeful I can work a camp every week this summer at many different schools. I feel I will learn a lot that way) if I can get the assurance from coach Miller (women's coach) or coach Crean that I can get a trail period as a student manager I will go to IU. I plan to live in whatever gym I am at lol I just need a chance to prove myself.
    4.0 anywhere is damn impressive. Tip of the cap to you, sir. I wish you all the luck with that, they sound like really great opportunities. Anywhere you could be part of the basketball program would be a great experience.

Mr.ThunderMakeR - Arizona State

(yeah I know OP is probably looking for schools near IN, but hey. we've got pretty girls!)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really like Xavier's staff and I am confident I can earn being a student manager there so I really like that idea. Honestly i don't care much about the school's as long as I can work with the basketball team. I might go the route that xavier's director of basketball ops went. He went to IU for undergrad and got hired at Xavier and got his grad degree paid for.

I plan to work the IU camps this summer(I am hopeful I can work a camp every week this summer at many different schools. I feel I will learn a lot that way) if I can get the assurance from coach Miller (women's coach) or coach Crean that I can get a trail period as a student manager I will go to IU. I plan to live in whatever gym I am at lol I just need a chance to prove myself.
    A guy I grew up with did this at Indiana State, kept working his way up and is now the Pacers equipment manager. Didn't take him long. I'm 36 so he would be 34 or 35. That probably sounds like an eternity to you but trust me, it's not.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    A guy I grew up with did this at Indiana State, kept working his way up and is now the Pacers equipment manager. Didn't take him long. I'm 36 so he would be 34 or 35. That probably sounds like an eternity to you but trust me, it's not.
    I am fine with that as long as I am around the game working towards my goal. I really could care less how long it takes to get my dream job. All I can do is work hard and keep learning so I am ready when opportunity knocks.

Florida State University=undergrad (Go Noles!!!)
    Colorado State University=grad school

Mood

I am fine with that as long as I am around the game working towards my goal. I really could care less how long it takes to get my dream job. All I can do is work hard and keep learning so I am ready when opportunity knocks.
    One thing to keep in mind, this guy was not only good at what he did, he also had an inside track. Our high school coach was also Larry Bird's high school coach and the coach at ISU at the time was Royce Waltman, a staunch Bobby Knight disciple. He knew the job AND had the advantage of knowing the right people. I'm not trying to preach, I'm just reminding you that developing solid relationships will be just as important as developing solid skills. Attitude is everything. Good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    One thing to keep in mind, this guy was not only good at what he did, he also had an inside track. Our high school coach was also Larry Bird's high school coach and the coach at ISU at the time was Royce Waltman, a staunch Bobby Knight disciple. He knew the job AND had the advantage of knowing the right people. I'm not trying to preach, I'm just reminding you that developing solid relationships will be just as important as developing solid skills. Attitude is everything. Good luck.
    Believe me I know that that is the first thing I figured out. It isn't what you know but who you know. That is the reason I want to make sure I find the right school. Buzz Williams is kind of the guy I want to model myself after. He started as a JUCO manager and worked his way up through camps and hard work. That is another reason summer camps will be critical for me. The camps are a great place to network and meet new people. I have no problem talking with basketball people I could talk basketball all day . (Imigane if I actually knew the game like college coaches I woulnt be able to sleep I would be talking all the time ) I am almost to the point I can apply for NBA internships(need to be a junior). However I think I am going to wait until 2 summers from now to start applying. I want to make sure I am ready, and next summer I really want to gain the experience of working all the camps I can. I have already sent 80 letters out to colleges about working their camps. I plan to send about 100 more this month and then write another 100+ letters come April.

I was talking to a Pistons scout last week at a college practice and was asking him for advice. I was telling him my plans. He was like "ya you got to work your way up with hard work or be somebodies son" He had me rolling all the scouts there were really good people to talk with.

Mood

It isn't what you know but who you know.
    I would amend that to say that it is what you know AND who you know. You have to have both now. Nobody is going to stick their neck out for an incompetant douche no matter how well they know them.

Penn State