Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

Reggie made professional sports in Indiana relevant to a new generation fans at a time when the NFL wasn't nearly as popular as it is now (and thus people did not default support the Colts). BLF is the house that Reggie built just as much as LOF is the house that Peyton built. Yet unlike Reggie, Peyton bought a title to Indiana and is among the best to ever play his position. And this is coming from someone who prefers Reggie's Pacers to Peyton's Colts by a longshot. But there is really no comparison in terms of their popularity in Indiana. Peyton by far, although Reggie's legacy really isn't much different when you stop and think about it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The point is if not for Peyton, there's no Luck in Indy, period. That's why he's beloved. Without #18, Indy isn't getting Lucas Oil Stadium, sure as hell doesn't host a Super Bowl, and there's a very real chance they're playing in Los Angeles.
    Again...i understand thats why you and maybe some others love Peyton more than Reggie...and thats cool. I dont even care to argue the merits of such. I mean how far do u take it? If not for Bob Irsay there is no Peyton Manning in Indy? Or without John Elway and Jeff George, there is no Peyton Manning in Indy? You can go on forever like that...but as I said I understand the sentiment behind such.

It just doesnt matter to me. I love the Pacers far more than the Colts. The Colts arent even my favorite NFL team, because when I was growing up in Indy the Colts were still in Baltimore. So Reggie and quite a few others have alot more love from me than Peyton. Not that it matters, but Reggie took less money to stay and retire a Pacer and is one of the very few to retire with the same team he started with and play so many years in the process. Hopefully Paul George will do the same.

And Ill say it again...five years from now you could very well ask a similar question involving Peyton and Andrew and depending on what happens between now and then Andrew could win by a landslide. Hes certainly accomplished more in his first year and a half than Peyton did. But again, timing has alot to do with it, and that assumes he will keep improving as Peyton did-which certainly remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    Indiana has not lost touch with its roots.....you are just misconceiving Indiana as a mega basketball state meaning that it is a mega Pacer state. Indiana got its reputation as a huge basketball state because of its love and dedication to High School basketball and College basketball.....both of these things remain unchanged....I still have groups of people at my work that talk routinely about High School basketball and Indiana still routinely produces some of the best High School basketball talent year in and year out.....and college basketball and the likes of Indiana even through some awful seasons still sold tickets like crazy.....Indiana's love for basketball has not changed, it just doesn't have the same dedication to pro basketball as either HS or College.
    One of the best points in this thread. The Pacers were popular in the city of Indianapolis in the 90's. Other than that time period, they were closer to the Indianapolis Indians than the Colts in terms of popularity.

But I have to make one correction. It wasn't college ball. The Hoosier state is also not a basketball state because of the Indiana Hoosiers...and one of my degrees is from IU. IU certainly adds to it a lot...a heck of a lot more than Purdue, but they aren't even the reason.

The fact is, most people under 35 don't even know why it's a big basketball state...at least historically. ...because they never experienced High School class basketball and the sectionals and regionals. I have never witnessed more intense competition than class basketball particularly the sectionals and regionals during the 1970's and 1980's.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    If lebron only won a single championsip, he would be viewed as an underachiever. So why does Manning get a pass? Because you have an emotional tie to him?
    If LeBron had stayed in Cleveland, he still wouldn't have a ring. Manning stuck with his team and toughed it out...with a weak supporting cast...at least on defense. But he won. That's more than LeBron James ever did. LeBron more or less purchased his rings by teaming up with other all-stars.

If lebron only won a single championsip, he would be viewed as an underachiever. So why does Manning get a pass? Because you have an emotional tie to him?
    I must've missed the pass Peyton got or you must've been in a coma all last week.

But the NFL and NBA are rather different when it comes to championships. I mean the NFL is a one and done format the best team doesn't always get there just who is hot at the right time.

The NBA usually has the best team at that time(have to win 4 out of 7) its easier to win multiple championships in the NBA than it ever will be in the NFL.

That being said LeBron was smart to leave Cleveland he'd never win a ring there.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

For those criticizing Peyton's performance in the playoffs, besides the fact that his playoff numbers are excellent (no matter what Skip Bayless told you -your fault for listening to that ****tard) you have to understand that the playoffs are a crap shoot.

Here's the deal, you either understand that the NFL Playoffs crown a Champion not the best team or you need to stick with your belief and understand that the 76ers in 2001 were better than the LA Lakers. Sound fair??

Folks one and done formats cause better teams to lose- It's the reason why we love March Madness. Because ANYTHING can happen in one game. The best team is only sometimes crowned.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    For those criticizing Peyton's performance in the playoffs, besides the fact that his playoff numbers are excellent (no matter what Skip Bayless told you -your fault for listening to that ****tard) you have to understand that the playoffs are a crap shoot.

Here's the deal, you either understand that the NFL Playoffs crown a Champion not the best team or you need to stick with your belief and understand that the 76ers in 2001 were better than the LA Lakers. Sound fair??

Folks one and done formats cause better teams to lose- It's the reason why we love March Madness. Because ANYTHING can happen in one game. The best team is only sometimes crowned.
    Lol...funny how the only fluke champions in the NFL are like last year when Peyton is involved and supposedly on the best team...The Cowboys, 49ers, Patriots, Steelers, Packers etc would beg to disagree about it being a crapshoot and hence why they have multiple championships...they were the best teams...

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    Lol...funny how the only fluke champions in the NFL are like last year when Peyton is involved and supposedly on the best team...The Cowboys, 49ers, Patriots, Steelers, Packers etc would beg to disagree about it being a crapshoot and hence why they have multiple championships...they were the best teams...
    Because there was no salary cap until 94.

For those criticizing Peyton's performance in the playoffs, besides the fact that his playoff numbers are excellent............
    Well, no - they're not.

6 times in 12 years the NFL champion has been a #1 or #2 seed.

21 of the last 24 times the NBA champion has has been a #1 or #2 seed (exceptions: #3 2010 Mavs, #3 2007 Spurs and #6 1995 Rockets)

Since 2001, if you are the overall #1 seed in your conference in the NFL, you have less than a 50% chance of even making it to the Super Bowl. You have less than a 10% chance of winning it (2 of 24, Patriots in '03, Saints in '09). Two #1 seeds have made it to play each other in the Super Bowl only once since 2001 (2009).

The NFL title is absolutely more of a crapshoot / fluke than is the NBA crown. Be it the one-and-done format, higher rate of injury, whatever, regular season success doesn't carry over well. It wasn't always like that, as in the 90s a #1 seed won 7 times. That to me suggests that parity in depth (or lack thereof) brought about by the hard salary cap is also a huge factor.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure I have a firm opinion on this. But here is a hypothetical for whoever is willing:

Let's imagine that Andrew Luck's Colts and Paul George's Pacers both win three titles in the next ten years. First of all, woo hoo!

Now, imagine you asked 100 Indianapolis sports fans who were alive to see Reggie play (and therefore Peyton as well). You asked them all two questions: Who is the most loved Pacer of all time, and who is the most loved Colt of all time? What would their answers be like?

I think that the later question would get a response of "Peyton was great, but Andrew Luck is the man!" pretty unanimously, while the former would get a lot of people saying "Paul George is so awesome, but it will forever and always be Reggie."

Do you agree? Does that mean anything in the context of this conversation?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

I guess I don't have love affairs with underachievers.

Say's the guy who puts the Cleveland Indians and Purdue under his avatar as his favorite teams!
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    I'm not sure I have a firm opinion on this. But here is a hypothetical for whoever is willing:

Let's imagine that Andrew Luck's Colts and Paul George's Pacers both win three titles in the next ten years. First of all, woo hoo!

Now, imagine you asked 100 Indianapolis sports fans who were alive to see Reggie play (and therefore Peyton as well). You asked them all two questions: Who is the most loved Pacer of all time, and who is the most loved Colt of all time? What would their answers be like?

I think that the later question would get a response of "Peyton was great, but Andrew Luck is the man!" pretty unanimously, while the former would get a lot of people saying "Paul George is so awesome, but it will forever and always be Reggie."

Do you agree? Does that mean anything in the context of this conversation?

I don't agree. Peyton brought the city it's first modern sports championship. He will always be held in the highest regard. I'm a huge fan of Luck, but I would never marginalize Peyton in order to prop up Luck. Peyton's Indy career is forever in the books, and it's by far the best career that any athlete has had in Indy. That's why you see most people tilting towards Peyton on a Pacers forum. Ask the average Indy resident who doesn't post on a Pacers message board and it wouldn't even be close......Peyton

I was as big of a Reggie Miller fan as anyone could be, but these two guys just aren't on the same level. Like I said, it would be like comparing Sammy Sosa to Michael Jordan. Sosa had a great career and was loved by Chicago, but Jordan was one of the most successful athletes ever.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Well, no - they're not.
    Actually, they are.

Player A: 62.9% comp. 245yds 1.8 tds 0.87 ints per playoff game
    Player B: 63.2% comp. 316yds 1.8tds 1.2 ints per playoff game

One is considered the greatest clutch QB of all time, the other is considered an underachiever, and yet their stats are pretty damn close.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

^^ It's just not about the stats. It's what you do and when you do it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Oh, so you mean when someone say's he has good playoff numbers and you say he doesn't, we're not talking about stats? Good to know. Keep moving them goalposts bud.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Last year - against Baltimore in the POs - great numbers but Peyton throws a bad pass at the wrong time and it's picked which leads to a loss.

That's a failure.

Tony Romo vs the Broncos this year. 500+ yards, 5 TDs, bad throw, interception at a bad time. Failure.
    Last edited by PacerDude; 10-24-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Last year - great numbers but Peyton throws a bad pass at the wrong time and it's picked which leads to a loss.

That's a failure.
    Nevermind a safety giving up an 80 yard TD pass with minimal time remaining in the 4th quarter after Peyton drove the team down the field for the go ahead score. He has a great game, throws one INT, and it's considered a failure? Had ANY other QB been in the same position, they would NOT be blamed for the loss, yet because it's Peyton--he failed mightily. Doesn't make sense

Since everything and everyone is judged and rated by championships - it makes perfect sense.

Since everything and everyone is judged and rated by championships - it makes perfect sense.
    So Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino, since Trent has a ring and Dan doesn't. Yeah, perfect sense.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    As long as you agree that the 76ers were the best team in 2001, not the Lakers, I totally agree with you.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Last year - against Baltimore in the POs - great numbers but Peyton throws a bad pass at the wrong time and it's picked which leads to a loss.

That's a failure.

Tony Romo vs the Broncos this year. 500+ yards, 5 TDs, bad throw, interception at a bad time. Failure.
    Tom Brady. 2006 AFC Championship. Bad throw, interception at a bad time. Failure.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

As long as you agree that the 76ers were the best team in 2001, not the Lakers, I totally agree with you.
    Who won the series? Why do they play the games?

Tom Brady's playoff record with Ty Law: 9-0, 3 titles.
    Tom Brady's playoff record without Ty Law: 8-7, 0 titles.

Tom Brady is overrated. He is nothing without Ty Law.

Tom Brady has only completed 60% of his passes with 7 TDs and 9 Interceptions and a 74.7 rating in Conference Championship games. What a choker.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    Tom Brady's playoff record with Ty Law: 9-0, 3 titles.
    Tom Brady's playoff record without Ty Law: 8-7, 0 titles.

Tom Brady is overrated. He is nothing without Ty Law.

Tom Brady has only completed 60% of his passes with 7 TDs and 9 Interceptions and a 74.7 rating in Conference Championship games. What a choker.
    And yet Brady is 8-5 versus Manning...