Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

So do people think that the rise of PG will diminish Reggie's legacy too?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So do people think that the rise of PG will diminish Reggie's legacy too?
    I don't think Luck or George could diminish anything. The reason Brown's legend has diminished has more to do with them being from the ABA, and a time when, I would imagine, not very many games were actually aired on TV, than anything Reggie or the Pacers did since then. Young didn't diminish Montana's legacy, Peyton hasn't diminished Unitas's legacy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I don't think Luck or George could diminish anything. The reason Brown's legend has diminished has more to do with them being from the ABA, and a time when, I would imagine, not very many games were actually aired on TV, than anything Reggie or the Pacers did since then. Young didn't diminish Montana's legacy, Peyton hasn't diminished Unitas's legacy.
    We're not talking about diminishing the legacy, just the perception of it. It is a fact of human nature that, except for serious students of the game, things in memory and more recent will have more of an impact than things in the past or that have to be called to mind. That's why you have people almost uniformly arguing that the current incarnation of anything good is better than a similar one in the past or similarly that the current incarnation of anything bad is worse than it has ever been in the past.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Because people really forget about great, retired quarterbacks. You never hear anybody talk about the likes of Dan Marino, Joe Namath, Joe Montana, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Bob Griese, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, etc. As a quarterback who will retire with his name near, if not at the top of all major quarterbacking records, he will be remembered for many decades after his career is over. Furthermore, he will be remembered as playing most of his career with the Colts. The fact that he won a Superbowl cements it because there are some analysts that don't like to talk about quarterbacks unless they have a ring to their name. Manning's not going away.

Reggie will never be forgotten here, but he never brought lasting attention on the sports team here. Peyton Manning had national attention centered on Indiana sports for well over a decade. Just think about how that strokes the ego of sports fans: how many threads have popped up this offseason about us getting no respect and being ranked *gasp* fourth in the entire NBA? We got that respect with the Colts. I still remember that year after year on the ESPN power rankings John Clayton was always the last writer to give up and give us the number 1 spot in the season.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    We're not talking about diminishing the legacy, just the perception of it.
    Splitting hairs.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    We have people in Indy who are now Denver fans because of Peyton alone. This is such an easy answer. NFL is king more now than NBA was then. Way more. This is not even close. And I like Reggie more.
    That's exactly the way I look at it. I'm a bigger Pacers fan than Colts fan so I love Reggie more but the question is talking about who receives more love in Indy, not who you personally love more.

Peyton has and always will be loved more than Reggie even though they loved Reggie Miller an awful lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Splitting hairs.
    Not when the question is about who is "loved" more and not who has had more impact or left the greatest legacy.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Not when the question is about who is "loved" more and not who has had more impact or left the greatest legacy.
    Whether it's his legacy or the perception of his legacy is splitting hairs. As the saying goes, perception is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    We have people in Indy who are now Denver fans because of Peyton alone. This is such an easy answer. NFL is king more now than NBA was then. Way more. This is not even close. And I like Reggie more.
    And, had Reggie gone to the Knicks, there were folks on fan forums - not just casual fans - talking about how they would become Knicks fans in order to follow Reggie.
    BillS

Mortals.

The correct answer is AJ Foyt.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Fair enough

I think that is not quite true. He did more in PUBLIC, but Reggie did a lot more than people realize under the radar screen because he didn't want his name to overshadow what was being done. Say, rather, "WAS SEEN TO DO more than Reggie did in the community" and you might have a point. Remember, both Reggie and Peyton won the same number of community service awards.
    Fair point. Reggie did do a lot under the radar stuff. i just say people love Peyton more than Reggie
    "We want Miami"

On a Pacers forum, a quick look at this thread seems to indicate a tilt towards Peyton. So just imagine what the difference would be if you asked the average local resident who didn't post on a Pacers forum.

It's not even close....Peyton.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    Reggie will never be forgotten here, but he never brought lasting attention on the sports team here.
    Oh really?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1501757/

I'm sure Manning will get his tribute videos too, but Reggie certainly made an everlasting impression on not just Indiana. Dude is a basketball legend, just as Manning is a football legend. When people think of the Pacers, they think Reggie.

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    Oh really?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1501757/

I'm sure Manning will get his tribute videos too, but Reggie certainly made an everlasting impression on not just Indiana. Dude is a basketball legend, just as Manning is a football legend. When people think of the Pacers, they think Reggie.
    I don't think the tribute video really does anything to create a lasting impression of the Pacers as a great franchise. And I think that is important because positive national attention makes you feel better about your team.

I would argue that when people think of the Pacers, they think of that team that might be pretty good but doesn't have good enough players to win it all. They're compared to the Atlanta Hawks of a few years ago more than to the Celtics, Heat, or Knicks in terms of title contention. Until this year, but that wasn't an effect of the continued attitude from Reggie's era.

When people think of the Colts, they think of that team that's been a playoff team for over 15 years with the exception of a couple of seasons. Oh, and what did they have to do to convince people they were true title contenders this year? Beat Peyton Manning and the Broncos. It's not perfect because they rebuilt the Colts so quickly into a playoff team while the Pacers had a very long rebuild, but the perception of the Colts is as a winning franchise. That started with Peyton. The Pacers are still battling the perception of being a losing franchise despite all the success they had with Reggie on the team.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 10-23-2013 at 01:03 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

This is a really interesting discussion, but like many have said, hard to be objective when one player is still playing, while the other retired 6 years ago. I will say though, the midwest is hard-core football fans, so it is Manning for now. Although I think it will continue to be Manning, just because he seems so dominant in the sport.

The real question is who gets their statues first?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post

Reggie has been gone for 8 years and I've never heard anything about him getting one. Peyton will probably get one shortly after he retires.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I love Reggie as much as the next guy. But a statue? Shouldn't you have to win a championship to get a statue?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    When people think of the Colts, they think of that team that's been a playoff team for over 15 years with the exception of a couple of seasons. Oh, and what did they have to do to convince people they were true title contenders this year? Beat Peyton Manning and the Broncos. It's not perfect because they rebuilt the Colts so quickly into a playoff team while the Pacers had a very long rebuild, but the perception of the Colts is as a winning franchise. That started with Peyton. The Pacers are still battling the perception of being a losing franchise despite all the success they had with Reggie on the team.
    Sounds like the Pacers in the 90's and early 00's. Missed the playoffs only like once within a 15 year period. Quick rebuild after 00. Turned the Pacers into a winning franchise. The only difference is the Colts got to one more championship game in which they won the championship. All teams go through ebbs and flows. When a team is on a rise they have to go through a period of proving they aren't a losing franchise anymore. The Colts have even gone through it this season. Most people in the media thought last season was more of a fluke than anything, and a lot of people still are not sold on the Colts.

Look this is all fine and dandy, but none of this speaks of how either player was loved. It only speaks of their accomplishments. Great accomplishments do not necessarily equal more love. They are two separate concepts (i.e. JO vs Foster). So far I am the only one who has shown evidence of greater love, everyone else is just comparing accomplishments. It is like you guys are turning it into a point system where Reggie gets a point for every shot he made, and Manning gets a point for every pass he completed. That isn't talking about love, that is talking about who was the more accomplished player.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sounds like the Pacers in the 90's and early 00's. Missed the playoffs only like once within a 15 year period. Quick rebuild after 00. Turned the Pacers into a winning franchise. The only difference is the Colts got to one more championship game in which they won the championship. All teams go through ebbs and flows. When a team is on a rise they have to go through a period of proving they aren't a losing franchise anymore. The Colts have even gone through it this season. Most people in the media thought last season was more of a fluke than anything, and a lot of people still are not sold on the Colts.

Look this is all fine and dandy, but none of this speaks of how either player was loved. It only speaks of their accomplishments. Great accomplishments do not necessarily equal more love. They are two separate concepts (i.e. JO vs Foster). So far I am the only one who has shown evidence of greater love, everyone else is just comparing accomplishments. It is like you guys are turning it into a point system where Reggie gets a point for every shot he made, and Manning gets a point for every pass he completed. That isn't talking about love, that is talking about who was the more accomplished player.
    Boom baby!

So far I am the only one who has shown evidence of greater love, everyone else is just comparing accomplishments.
    I must have missed that.

The crowd chanting "Reg-gie" to Reggie Wayne is not evidence of greater love for Reggie Miller. It was just a convenient chant that was tied to another famous Reggie. Didn't the crowd used to utter "Smoooooooooooth" when Sam Perkins would hit a three? Does that mean that Perkins was more loved than Dale Davis or Rik Smits?

The fact that the majority of people in a Pacers forum have admitted it's Peyton speaks volumes. Go out on the street and ask your average Indy resident, and it wouldn't even be close.

Sports Logo

Reggie put us on the map, Payton just took it to the next level. I can not speak for anyone but myself so for me it's Reggie

In all fairness I am not in any way interested in watching Football so I have not spent any of his career watching him.

I know this is a curveball, but is Larry Bird more loved in Indiana than Reggie, even though he never played here? Those 3 would have to be the most loved sports figures by Indiana fans. And again, it might have to do with him being here and relevant right now and not a thing of the past.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

So far I am the only one who has shown evidence of greater love, everyone else is just comparing accomplishments.
    I don't know if you can classify this as love or just being a fanatic but for 6 years I had the pleasure/non-pleasure of watching Peyton's backside while meeting the fans. I can tell you on most occasions when there was a good size crowd I had to jump people's @ss for being way too crazy for wanting an autograph. We're talking men and women willing to push little kids out of the way just so they could be near him. I didn't work around Reggie so maybe he had the same experience but the love/admiration for Peyton reached scary heights.
    Last edited by RWB; 10-23-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

33. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Go out on the street and ask your average Indy resident, and it wouldn't even be close.
    And what we are saying is that of course RIGHT NOW it won't be close, Manning just played an emotional game in Indiana! Of course everyone will say Manning. But to me, with Peyton seeming to underachieve every year and Reggie overachieve every year, the love for him might last longer. I love, love, love regular-season Peyton Manning. The playoff version not so much. That single ring was not because of Peyton, it more had to do with Sanders and Rhodes.