Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JO and Jeff Foster have nothing to do with Peyton Manning having the MAXIMUM love from a community that an athlete can have.

Reggie was loved a lot, but not on Peyt's level. It's Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St. Vincent.
    Yeah but Reggie actually spent his free time with the kids at the Riley Burn Center.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Yeah but Reggie actually spent his free time with the kids at the Riley Burn Center.
    True, and he deserves big props for that. But it's not like Peyton never spent time with the kids at his hospital. In fact, I saw a segment on the local news where Peyton called a sick girl in his hospital within the last couple of weeks. Peyton still checks in on these kids despite not playing here anymore.

Does Reggie have ANYTHING to do with Indianapolis now that his playing days are over? Aside from coming back to call a TNT game, does he ever come back here? He's certainly under no obligation to and I don't blame him for wanting to hang in Cali, but I bet that Peyton will maintain an Indy presence when his playing days are over. I don't expect him to live here or anything, but I bet he'll still comeback to his hospital and do periodic events. We'll see.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I might be wrong, but I think a case can be made that Reggie has more "loved" than Manning. I doubt anyone is ever going to dispute that Manning was a better football player than Reggie was a basketball player. But love is a different issue IMO

What I mean by love Reggie more than Manning is this. Seems to me that Manning was criticized more by fans than Reggie was. (maybe they expected more out of Manning, I don't know)

Manning seemed more corporate and less accessable to the local fans than Reggie.

Reggie played his whole career here. Reggie still has three of the best moments in Indianapolis sports history.

Sure Manning getting the Colts to the Superbowl and winning it cannot be beat, but Reggie's 8 points in 9 seconds, 25 4th quarter points and game winning shot after pushing off Jordan as individual moments are more memorable than any manning moments

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

It's Peyton. I'd try to explain why, but Sollozzo has summed it up nicely. It all boils down to football is king. You could maybe ask the question do Pacers fans love Reggie as much or more than Colts fans love Peyton, but in terms of total love, because of sheer numbers of Colts vs. Pacers fans, it's Peyton.

I live in Muncie, and the Pacers might as well be in California because there is literally ZERO Pacer signs, flags, car magnets, etc around here. But the Colts? Yeah, not so much. They are everywhere.

I get that we're on a Pacers fan forum, and the Pacers are most of our first loves, but we are the exception and not the rule. Reggie created Pacer fans, Peyton created a football state. That's the truth. And all the junk about children's hospitals is just fluff trying to sound morally superior, which even if true, bears no weight.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Manning seemed more corporate and less accessable to the local fans than Reggie.
    I think along the same lines is Peyton's movement is calculated and he seems to be pretty serious most of the time.

Back on the subject at hand.... it's Peyton no doubt in my mind and yep I've always been a Pacer fan first and Colts second.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Peyton had a bigger impact on his sport than Reggie. Peyton literally changed how the game was played. Now, you see more quarterbacks getting total control of the offense. Peyton was a media juggernaut. Around 2005 and 2006, you could watch an NFL game and have a commercial break with 3 Peyton Manning commercials. Peyton is one of the greatest players to ever play his sport.

However, Peyton is not Reggie. Reggie is commonly referred to as "Uncle Reggie" because many Hoosiers felt like Reggie was a part of their family. Reggie had a better connection with fans. Peyton was too reserved. When Peyton made a big play, he would maybe raise his arms or pump his fists (or, yell at a receiver who didn't run the correct route underneath). When Reggie made a big play, he was as excited as the fans. You feel a connection with a player when you see them having the same emotions as you. When the Colts played the Patriots, the fans hated Tom Brady at the rest of the Pats. I never felt that Peyton really hated them. When the Pacers played the Knicks, I knew Reggie hated that team as much as I did. Then, to top it off, Reggie would go and rip their hearts out on the road.

Peyton may be more popular, more influential and the more recognizable player in Indy, but Reggie had an emotional connection that Peyton did not. Compare Peyton's return to Indy to Reggie's final game. There was so much emotion with Reggie leaving. Maybe a better comparison was Peyton's goodbye press conference, but even then, the emotion wasn't nearly the same.

Reggie felt like he was a part of your family. He was Uncle Reggie.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Big Smooth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I live in Muncie, and the Pacers might as well be in California because there is literally ZERO Pacer signs, flags, car magnets, etc around here. But the Colts? Yeah, not so much. They are everywhere.

I get that we're on a Pacers fan forum, and the Pacers are most of our first loves, but we are the exception and not the rule. Reggie created Pacer fans, Peyton created a football state. That's the truth. And all the junk about children's hospitals is just fluff trying to sound morally superior, which even if true, bears no weight.
    Good point. I'm originally from the area of Indiana near Louisville, and there is Colts stuff EVERYWHERE down there. The Pacers, even during their heyday in the 90's or 2013 playoff run, might as well play on another planet.

The entire state is biased towards the Colts. I have a hard time believing that the ratio isn't reflected in Indianapolis itself. We all love Reggie, Reggie accomplished a lot, but Peyton was just on another planet. With Peyton, Indy had one of the greatest players in history who was a national icon. It's not every day that a small market has such a famous athlete.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Peyton is still playing. Reggie is not.

Once Peyton is out of sight, it will be much easier to assess this question. Until then, the guy who is here will always trump the guy who is somewhere else.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Peyton is still playing. Reggie is not.

Once Peyton is out of sight, it will be much easier to assess this question. Until then, the guy who is here will always trump the guy who is somewhere else.

Peyton hasn't taken a snap here in three years though. That's certainly far more recent than Reggie's last game, but Peyton's Indy tenure is now a bit in the past.

Peyton hasn't taken a snap here in three years though. That's certainly far more recent than Reggie's last game, but Peyton's Indy tenure is now a bit in the past.
    But Peyton is still in the league, still in the news, and (as we just saw) is capable of showing up to play in the stadium.

I have no doubt that the popularity of the NFL alone swings the needle in his favor, but let's see what his popularity is after he is retired and Luck is taking the Colts deep into the playoffs. I'd bet he is to Colts fans the way Reggie is to Pacers fans 8 years after retiring.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

If time diminishes love, then wouldn't Reggie's love just continue to go down as well?

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

If time diminishes love, then wouldn't Reggie's love just continue to go down as well?
    Yes. And as time goes on the effect of time on both players will begin to approach the same. It can be described in terms of "generations" - once it is below a certain percentage of people who saw said player actually play, it becomes a matter of the legacy. Will Peyton in the Ring of Honor match Reggie in the rafters? Will Peyton in the NFL HoF with a Broncos jersey match Reggie in the Basketball HoF in a Pacers jersey?

The sheer numbers of NFL fans would probably guarantee that you are more likely to find someone who rates Peyton higher. But I think in general that the actual thoughts of how a Colts fan views Peyton will match how a Pacers fan views Reggie.
    BillS

Will Peyton in the NFL HoF with a Broncos jersey match Reggie in the Basketball HoF in a Pacers jersey?
    Peyton isn't going into the HoF as a Bronco. The look in his eyes said it all on Sunday - he's a Colt at heart forever.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

We have people in Indy who are now Denver fans because of Peyton alone. This is such an easy answer. NFL is king more now than NBA was then. Way more. This is not even close. And I like Reggie more.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Diminishing returns, the further away you get the less the drop off is from year to year. At a certain point the change rate is negligible.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Yes. And as time goes on the effect of time on both players will begin to approach the same. It can be described in terms of "generations" - once it is below a certain percentage of people who saw said player actually play, it becomes a matter of the legacy. Will Peyton in the Ring of Honor match Reggie in the rafters? Will Peyton in the NFL HoF with a Broncos jersey match Reggie in the Basketball HoF in a Pacers jersey?

The sheer numbers of NFL fans would probably guarantee that you are more likely to find someone who rates Peyton higher. But I think in general that the actual thoughts of how a Colts fan views Peyton will match how a Pacers fan views Reggie.
    Peyton won't go into the HOF with a Bronco's jersey on. And if Reggie continues to diminish, then why would we think that Peyton will leap frog him?

And Colts fans will always view Peyton higher, because one player has a ring while the other doesn't. It's weird reading about the Ring of Honor, etc, and leaving that huge point out. It carries a ton of weight.
    Last edited by Since86; 10-23-2013 at 10:25 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Diminishing returns, the further away you get the less the drop off is from year to year. At a certain point the change rate is negligible.
    I get that, but saying eventually they'll get to a point that is negligible is different than trying to say that Peyton will diminish to a point where Reggie will leap frog back over him.

Peyton. Brought a title to the city and did more than Reggie did in the community.
    Smothered Chicken!

I get that, but saying eventually they'll get to a point that is negligible is different than trying to say that Peyton will diminish to a point where Reggie will leap frog back over him.
    I'm not particularly saying that, I am saying it will be hard to make a judgement until they both reach the point of people not being influenced by having seen them play.

But think about this - Roger Brown was considered probably the Pacers' greatest player, with 3 rings in a league that was deeper in the hearts of people in Indiana than the NBA has ever been. Why is it he is only still considered such to people who were either there or really know the Pacers? It is not because his contributions have diminished, it is because other spectacular things have been done more recently.

Suppose Andrew Luck leads the Colts to 2 or more rings. Will this overshadow Peyton's legacy enough to drop him vs. Reggie? In the alternative, suppose Paul George leads the Pacers to an NBA championship? Will this overshadow Reggie's legacy enough to make the whole discussion moot?

I actually agree that given the relative popularity of the sports Peyton would likely be considered more popular than Reggie to the general public, all other things being equal. However, things are not at all equal at this time because Peyton is still playing and ALL NFL fans have seen him play, which is not the case for Reggie. Therefore, "what have you done for me lately" is in play, which is overwhelmingly in favor of Peyton. Using the "but he plays for the Broncos now" isn't as much of a factor as you'd think, because seeing him play well for the Broncos convinces people who were told that he played well for the Colts that he DID play just as well for the Colts.

Now, if he'd gone off to the Broncos and failed, it would be a different story - even to the level of a lot of the Manningcos fans returning to the Colts fold as the Colts continue winning.
    BillS

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Peyton. Brought a title to the city
    Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    and did more than Reggie did in the community.
    I think that is not quite true. He did more in PUBLIC, but Reggie did a lot more than people realize under the radar screen because he didn't want his name to overshadow what was being done. Say, rather, "WAS SEEN TO DO more than Reggie did in the community" and you might have a point. Remember, both Reggie and Peyton won the same number of community service awards.
    BillS

34. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I'm not particularly saying that, I am saying it will be hard to make a judgement until they both reach the point of people not being influenced by having seen them play.
    I guess I don't see that being what you said, when you used 8 years after Peyton retires and I think it will be way longer than 8 years before the above point is reached. Maybe you're right about the above, but we're going to have to wait 40-50 years for that to happen, so....

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Smooth View Post
    You feel a connection with a player when you see them having the same emotions as you. When the Colts played the Patriots, the fans hated Tom Brady at the rest of the Pats. I never felt that Peyton really hated them. When the Pacers played the Knicks, I knew Reggie hated that team as much as I did. Then, to top it off, Reggie would go and rip their hearts out on the road.

Just because Manning didn't fight with famous Boston fans or constantly jaw at opponents doesn't mean that he didn't want to badly win those games. Manning as the most famous and marketable player in the NFL had an image to protect. It wouldn't have been a good look to cuss out Pats fans at Gillette while giving them offensive gestures.

NFL quarterbacks in general try to behave classy. Rivers looked like an a-hole when he was chirping at fans in the Dome during that playoff game.

Just because Manning didn't fight with famous Boston fans or constantly jaw at opponents doesn't mean that he didn't want to badly win those games. Manning as the most famous and marketable player in the NFL had an image to protect. It wouldn't have been a good look to cuss out Pats fans at Gillette while giving them offensive gestures.

NFL quarterbacks in general try to behave classy. Rivers looked like an a-hole when he was chirping at fans in the Dome during that playoff game.

Peyton likely did have the same competitive desire as Reggie, but it wasn't evident on the field. Peyton was obsessive with his preparation like Reggie was with his conditioning. But Reggie's competitiveness came out much more during games.

The Indy-NY and Indy-Boston rivalries have a lot of similarities. They are the big market teams in cultural meccas. Boston and New York are world class cities with incredible histories. Both looked at Indy as a hick town. Their fans constantly talked trash about our teams and our cities. Indy fans hated Patriot and Knick fans. With Reggie, it felt like he was defending the city too. He took offense to the trash talking and gave it right back to them, while backing it up with his game.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

I guess I don't see that being what you said, when you used 8 years after Peyton retires and I think it will be way longer than 8 years before the above point is reached. Maybe you're right about the above, but we're going to have to wait 40-50 years for that to happen, so....
    I don't think it will take until no one has seen them, just several after they retire. Especially if Luck and the Colts stay good for the next 5+ years.