Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 187

Thread: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

  1. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,195

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if you can classify this as love or just being a fanatic but for 6 years I had the pleasure/non-pleasure of watching Peyton's backside while meeting the fans. I can tell you on most occasions when there was a good size crowd I had to jump people's @ss for being way too crazy for wanting an autograph. We're talking men and women willing to push little kids out of the way just so they could be near him. I didn't work around Reggie so maybe he had the same experience but the love/admiration for Peyton reached scary heights.
    I would classify that as evidence.

  2. #77
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,683

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like the Pacers in the 90's and early 00's. Missed the playoffs only like once within a 15 year period. Quick rebuild after 00. Turned the Pacers into a winning franchise. The only difference is the Colts got to one more championship game in which they won the championship. All teams go through ebbs and flows. When a team is on a rise they have to go through a period of proving they aren't a losing franchise anymore. The Colts have even gone through it this season. Most people in the media thought last season was more of a fluke than anything, and a lot of people still are not sold on the Colts.

    Look this is all fine and dandy, but none of this speaks of how either player was loved. It only speaks of their accomplishments. Great accomplishments do not necessarily equal more love. They are two separate concepts (i.e. JO vs Foster). So far I am the only one who has shown evidence of greater love, everyone else is just comparing accomplishments. It is like you guys are turning it into a point system where Reggie gets a point for every shot he made, and Manning gets a point for every pass he completed. That isn't talking about love, that is talking about who was the more accomplished player.
    Accomplishments are the main reason why you like a sports figure. Love and accomplishments are not mutually exclusive ideas. We're not talking about a simple football legend vs. basketball legend kind of deal. We're talking about a superstar that is on the level of a LeBron, MJ, Magic, Bird, etc. You're talking about without argument one of the top 3 at his position in history. That's why most fans are drawn to sports figures: because of their accomplishments on the field or court. Longevity in a particular place plays a factor as well.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 10-23-2013 at 02:35 PM.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  4. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,195

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Accomplishments are the main reason why you like a sports figure. Love and accomplishments are not mutually exclusive ideas. We're not talking about a simple football legend vs. basketball legend kind of deal. We're talking about a superstar that is on the level of a LeBron, MJ, Magic, Bird, etc. You're talking about without argument one of the top 3 at his position in history. That's why most fans are drawn to sports figures: because of their accomplishments on the field or court. Longevity in a particular place plays a factor as well.
    They may not be mutually exclusive, but that also doesn't mean they are dependent either. Again see JO vs Foster. Point being a list of accomplishments shows why he is loved, not how much he is loved. This isn't a scientific equation where all you need to know are their statistics. This is about human reaction to the statistics, and reactions are not always equal.

  5. #79

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    This isn't really a fair poll right now people will say Manning because its NFL, he brought a title, and football matters around here and he still currently plays.

    Reggie made Indianapolis relevant to begin with in professional sports way before Manning and unlike Manning spent his entire career here.

    So for now Manning but that could change if he ends up retiring as a Bronco or something and wins a title there or something to that effect.

    I'd give it a few years and we'll see whether the results change.

  6. #80

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Come on, it's obviously Peyton. Sollozzo and everyone have made all the points that need to be made.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  8. #81
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,683

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They may not be mutually exclusive, but that also doesn't mean they are dependent either. Again see JO vs Foster. Point being a list of accomplishments shows why he is loved, not how much he is loved. This isn't a scientific equation where all you need to know are their statistics. This is about human reaction to the statistics, and reactions are not always equal.
    Funny you should bring up JO, as he is actually my favorite Pacer for now. But Foster had a couple things going for him: he was here for a long time and as a role player he was never held responsible for losses or the team underachieving.

    The only thing you can do is ask people who they loved more, and record the response.

    As for Basketball Fan, I don't think Manning would have had a problem "making Indianapolis relevant" even if Reggie hadn't done it. And you can't count him not playing his whole career here because he did not sign with another team in free agency and most Colts fans still want Manning to win when he's not playing the Colts. The love didn't/won't stop just because he moved.

  9. #82
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,316

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love Reggie as much as the next guy. But a statue? Shouldn't you have to win a championship to get a statue?
    Or you know, maybe be one the 6 best players at your position more than 3 seasons?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  10. #83
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,642

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would argue that when people think of the Pacers, they think of that team that might be pretty good but doesn't have good enough players to win it all. They're compared to the Atlanta Hawks of a few years ago more than to the Celtics, Heat, or Knicks in terms of title contention. Until this year, but that wasn't an effect of the continued attitude from Reggie's era.



    I know what you meant but don't ever compare the Pacers to the never-been-out-of-the-2nd-round Atlanta Hawks!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  12. #84
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,683

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote



    I know what you meant but don't ever compare the Pacers to the never-been-out-of-the-2nd-round Atlanta Hawks!
    the fact that you instantly knew what I meant without me explicitly saying it proves my point

  13. #85
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,124
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the fact that you instantly knew what I meant without me explicitly saying it proves my point
    No it doesn't. I instantly know who Justin Bieber is. But that doesn't make me a Belieber.

    If people comapare the Pacers of the 90s and 2000 to the Hawks, then they don't know anything about the NBA history. And you know nothing about them if you think they have a point.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  15. #86
    Member VideoVandal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Coatesville, IN
    Posts
    352

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately its Peyton, Hoosiers have lost touch with their roots.
    Indiana has not lost touch with its roots.....you are just misconceiving Indiana as a mega basketball state meaning that it is a mega Pacer state. Indiana got its reputation as a huge basketball state because of its love and dedication to High School basketball and College basketball.....both of these things remain unchanged....I still have groups of people at my work that talk routinely about High School basketball and Indiana still routinely produces some of the best High School basketball talent year in and year out.....and college basketball and the likes of Indiana even through some awful seasons still sold tickets like crazy.....Indiana's love for basketball has not changed, it just doesn't have the same dedication to pro basketball as either HS or College.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:


  17. #87
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,504

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Peyton. If there was ever a question before, this answered it:


  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  19. #88
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    847

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton. If there was ever a question before, this answered it:

    I guess I don't have love affairs with underachievers. Peyton was great to watch over all the years and provided great entertainment, but he almost always broke my heart. Every season except the early years and the super bowl left a sour taste in my mouth. For some reason Reggie really never did. Part of my argument was the expectations that Manning never exceeded, while Reggie always did. Denver fans got the same treatment last year.

  20. #89
    Member VideoVandal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Coatesville, IN
    Posts
    352

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess I don't have love affairs with underachievers. Peyton was great to watch over all the years and provided great entertainment, but he almost always broke my heart. Every season except the early years and the super bowl left a sour taste in my mouth. For some reason Reggie really never did. Part of my argument was the expectations that Manning never exceeded, while Reggie always did. Denver fans got the same treatment last year.
    If you want to say part of the reason you don't have a love affair is because of a lot of disappointments and you feel we should have won more Super Bowls with him fine. However, I think it is highly offensive and unfair to Peyton to use the word UNDERACHIEVER.....He's ACHIEVED everything there is to achieve in pro football and is known as one of if not the hardest worker in the NFL......he has always been a first in last out guy and HIGHLY devoted to his craft......please make your argument a different way than calling the guy an UNDERACHIEVER.

  21. #90
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    847

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you want to say part of the reason you don't have a love affair is because of a lot of disappointments and you feel we should have won more Super Bowls with him fine. However, I think it is highly offensive and unfair to Peyton to use the word UNDERACHIEVER.....He's ACHIEVED everything there is to achieve in pro football and is known as one of if not the hardest worker in the NFL......he has always been a first in last out guy and HIGHLY devoted to his craft......please make your argument a different way than calling the guy an UNDERACHIEVER.
    So Peyton did not underachieve in Indy? You feel like he was one-championship type of player? There are people here saying he is the MJ of the NFL, which is ridiculous. I get that it's a lot harder for one player to make that impact in the NFL, and sorry if you don't like to hear it, but Manning underachieved in the playoffs when it mattered most. There is a reason Tom Brady is in the same conversation when you talk about greatest of all time, rings. Peyton doesn't have them, and with his talent, he should. It left a bad taste in a lot of people mouths. Call me bitter if you want, I just care more about playoff accomplishments than regular season accomplishments. Reggie was known to propel his game in the playoffs, Manning was known to choke.

  22. #91
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,683

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No it doesn't. I instantly know who Justin Bieber is. But that doesn't make me a Belieber.

    If people comapare the Pacers of the 90s and 2000 to the Hawks, then they don't know anything about the NBA history. And you know nothing about them if you think they have a point.
    Please calm down. I wasnt referring to those teams, I was talking about the impact of their players' respective legacies on the current era franchises.

  23. #92
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,141

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess I don't have love affairs with underachievers. Peyton was great to watch over all the years and provided great entertainment, but he almost always broke my heart. Every season except the early years and the super bowl left a sour taste in my mouth. For some reason Reggie really never did. Part of my argument was the expectations that Manning never exceeded, while Reggie always did. Denver fans got the same treatment last year.

    Peyton's one ring might hurt him in a GOAT debate against Tom Brady or Joe Montana, but it's not going to hurt him in a debate against a guy like Reggie who has zero rings. Peyton won a ring and helped the city get it's only modern day sports championship. That puts him above everyone else. Sure the running game and defense were huge in that playoff run, but Peyton's arm won the second half of that AFCCG against New England, which was one of the most epic playoff games in NFL history.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  25. #93
    Member VideoVandal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Coatesville, IN
    Posts
    352

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So Peyton did not underachieve in Indy? You feel like he was one-championship type of player? There are people here saying he is the MJ of the NFL, which is ridiculous. I get that it's a lot harder for one player to make that impact in the NFL, and sorry if you don't like to hear it, but Manning underachieved in the playoffs when it mattered most. There is a reason Tom Brady is in the same conversation when you talk about greatest of all time, rings. Peyton doesn't have them, and with his talent, he should. It left a bad taste in a lot of people mouths. Call me bitter if you want, I just care more about playoff accomplishments than regular season accomplishments. Reggie was known to propel his game in the playoffs, Manning was known to choke.
    Did that generation of Colts underachieve perhaps but to me underachieve and underachievers are two different things. The word underachiever has a distinct undertone to it, not of a person that didn't meet expectations, but more of a person that is a failure. You don't call the runner-up to the valedictorian an underachiever even if it was possible for them to have won the award. You call a person that wasted their talents an underachiever. Somebody like a Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russel, a high school pot head drop out. To me hearing somebody call a top 5 QB of-all-time an underachiever when the guy did NOTHING to waste his talents only worked as hard as he could every year to MAXIMIZE his talents is an absolute terrible title to bestow on him. Did the Indianapolis Colts of the 2000s underachieve? That is a matter of opinion and I'm fine if you want to voice yours as yes I won't argue with you. What I do have a problem with though is calling Peyton an UNDERACHIEVER just simply not a word I think should be associated to him.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:


  27. #94
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,967

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just because Manning didn't fight with famous Boston fans or constantly jaw at opponents doesn't mean that he didn't want to badly win those games. Manning as the most famous and marketable player in the NFL had an image to protect. It wouldn't have been a good look to cuss out Pats fans at Gillette while giving them offensive gestures.

    NFL quarterbacks in general try to behave classy. Rivers looked like an a-hole when he was chirping at fans in the Dome during that playoff game.
    Honestly, I'm not sure it's even in a Quarterback's best interest to start jawing with 350 pound defensive lineman. That's not quite the same as John Starks.

    Peyton should've even had 2 Superbowls if not for Hank Baskett and Garcon's stone hands, but don't get me started.

  28. #95
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,285

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this is a curveball, but is Larry Bird more loved in Indiana than Reggie, even though he never played here? Those 3 would have to be the most loved sports figures by Indiana fans. And again, it might have to do with him being here and relevant right now and not a thing of the past.
    Larry Bird had a HUGE following due to his college ball and what he did for ISU on the court. I'm sure statewide Bird has a bigger reach. ...But some of that is because the Pacers' marketing dwindles considerably the further you get from I465.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  30. #96
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    REG-GIE...REG-GIE...REG-GIE...

    The way its going, in another few years Peyton wont even be the most loved quarterback to play in Indy...

  31. #97
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,967

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    REG-GIE...REG-GIE...REG-GIE...

    The way its going, in another few years Peyton wont even be the most loved quarterback to play in Indy...
    There wouldn't be a team in Indy if not for Peyton.

  32. #98
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There wouldn't be a team in Indy if not for Peyton.
    I understand that sentiment...though I'm not sure what exactly it has to do with my comment...

    For me, its not even close...its Reggie by a landslide...

    And as for quarterbacks, what I was saying is at the rate Andrew Luck is going Peyton wont even be the most loved quarterback to ever play in Indy, let alone the most loved athlete....Andrew is definitely ahead of the Manning curve so far...

  33. #99
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,967

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand that sentiment...though I'm not sure what exactly it has to do with my comment...

    For me, its not even close...its Reggie by a landslide...

    And as for quarterbacks, what I was saying is at the rate Andrew Luck is going Peyton wont even be the most loved quarterback to ever play in Indy, let alone the most loved athlete....Andrew is definitely ahead of the Manning curve so far...
    The point is if not for Peyton, there's no Luck in Indy, period. That's why he's beloved. Without #18, Indy isn't getting Lucas Oil Stadium, sure as hell doesn't host a Super Bowl, and there's a very real chance they're playing in Los Angeles.

  34. #100
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    847

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

    Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did that generation of Colts underachieve perhaps but to me underachieve and underachievers are two different things. The word underachiever has a distinct undertone to it, not of a person that didn't meet expectations, but more of a person that is a failure. You don't call the runner-up to the valedictorian an underachiever even if it was possible for them to have won the award. You call a person that wasted their talents an underachiever. Somebody like a Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russel, a high school pot head drop out. To me hearing somebody call a top 5 QB of-all-time an underachiever when the guy did NOTHING to waste his talents only worked as hard as he could every year to MAXIMIZE his talents is an absolute terrible title to bestow on him. Did the Indianapolis Colts of the 2000s underachieve? That is a matter of opinion and I'm fine if you want to voice yours as yes I won't argue with you. What I do have a problem with though is calling Peyton an UNDERACHIEVER just simply not a word I think should be associated to him.
    If lebron only won a single championsip, he would be viewed as an underachiever. So why does Manning get a pass? Because you have an emotional tie to him?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •