Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

Default Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

I was watching the game Sunday and was wondering to you Indy locals..who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 31Since1990 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Who has more love in Indy: Reggie or Peyton?

I'm not even a Colt fan and Reggie is awesome, but there's no comparison. Peyton Manning could be the greatest QB in the history of the NFL. Reggie wasn't even a top 5 player in the NBA at any point in his career.

Edit: I guess the question is who has more love. Normally that's the better player because he's more popular. Peyton has built hospitals downtown. He's actually won a championship. Again, no comparison.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 10-22-2013 at 09:55 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would say it depends on your favorite sport. I love Peyton, but Reggie made a huge impact on my childhood. Also, Indiana is historically a basketball state, and the Colts were an afterthought in the 90's. They both made huge impacts to the city while they were here, but I'm giving Reggie the nod because of basketball. We don't know how Indy will support football once our QB luck runs out. Certainly a great topic, one that really can't have a definite answer.

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would say it depends on your favorite sport. I love Peyton, but Reggie made a huge impact on my childhood. Also, Indiana is historically a basketball state, and the Colts were an afterthought in the 90's. They both made huge impacts to the city while they were here, but I'm giving Reggie the nod because of basketball. We don't know how Indy will support football once our QB luck runs out. Certainly a great topic, one that really can't have a definite answer.
    Basketball is by far my favorite sport, so no, it does not depend on that. The city did love Reggie Miller and I don't know how you gauge that. But I've seen A LOT more Manning jerseys than I ever did Miller...even when Reggie played 3 times as many games in Indy.

This isn't even close. Peyton was by far the more loved/important athlete. There might be some Reggie bias on a Pacers forum, but objectively speaking these guys aren't even in the same ballpark. Reggie was fantastic, but he was never a top player in his sport. From 2003-2010, Peyton was at worst a top 2/3 player in his sport, and often was THE best. Peyton won four MVPs to Reggie's zero. Peyton won one championship to Reggie's zero. Peyton has his name on a hospital and his popularity helped build a stadium that eventually hosted the Super Bowl.

Indiana may be a basketball state, but the NFL is superior in popularity to the NBA. Peyton built the Colts into a top tier NFL franchise, and the continuity has remained with Luck. It doesn't matter where you are, way more people are going to watch a great NFL team than they are a great NBA team. Despite the fact that Indiana has basketball roots, the Colts' popularity dwarfs the Pacers' at their peak.

This isn't meant to put down Reggie at all, but these two guys are just on different levels of stardom. Reggie was great, but Peyton is without question one of the greatest NFL players in history. He was also a national sports icon. The team's success during his tenure here brought a ton of national sports attention to Indy.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Agreed Sollozzo. If Larry Bird or Magic Johnson had been a Pacer this might be a conversation. Peyton is a Bird level talent even though he only has one ring.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I personally love Reggie more because I love the Pacers more than the Colts and love basketball more than football in general. Also, Reggie was my hero growing up, so he will always have that status with me. That being said, the answer is Peyton Manning without a shadow of a doubt.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately its Peyton, Hoosiers have lost touch with their roots.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo

my guess is that Payton Manning has more love in Indy than Reggie. Sports fans have short term memories and would likely remember Manning's exploits than Reggie.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I think some are underestimating the impact Reggie had, even if he never won MVP or championships. Basketball was much more popular than football in the 90's, especially in Indiana, and Reggie was a GOD in Indy during that time. He was treated the same way Manning is now. You could argue he is the reason for The Fieldhouse. The answer is Manning, but I believe it's more because of the current popularity of the NFL and the fact Manning still plays. I would love to see a poll for this question on this forum and a Colts forum.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

A couple more thoughts. Yes, Manning won 1 ring and Reggie won 0. But I would say Manning under-peformed when it mattered and Reggie over-performed. And Reggie did it against New York, which because of their market-size and inflated ego, made the entire state rally around him. The 30 for 30 tells it best. With Peyton we have the great championship moment, but a lot of my memories of Peyton are not great memories. He really fell short in the playoffs. My memories of Reggie are amazing.

Also, Manning now plays for another team. Reggie never did. It's not Peyton's fault, but there are now visions of him in another uniform. I'm doubting this will tarnish his legacy, but it is something to consider.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Mood

The answer is Peyton only because he is more fresh in people's minds. Reggie's last game was in 2005, Peyton's last game as a Colt was January of 2011. This would be an interesting discussion maybe 6 years from now when Peyton has long since retired.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

It's Peyton. You could make a strong case that he's the best to play his position ever. He's like the Nolan Ryan of football in that he commands respect. He's the ultimate field general out there, will carve up a defense in seconds, and has been nothing but a class act despite what could've been an ugly divorce with Mr. Irsay. There's a Children's Hospital that is named after him for his contributions!

Consider this, from day one when Reggie Wayne makes has made an amazing play at the RCA Dome or Lucas Oil would start chanting Reg-gie Reg-gie Reg-gie. When Peyton makes a great play you you don't hear them chant Pey-ton Pey-ton Pey-ton or Mann-ing Mann-ing Mann-ing. You never hear that for any other Colt player, yet we do it for the one Colt player who just happens to have the same name as Miller.

Right now if you asked around you obviously will get more Peytons simply because he is fresher in the minds of the people, even though they are both head and shoulders above everyone else I think Reggie is still the victor.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's really not a fair question at this time. Peyton is more current and still plays, even if for another team. The only way to really know the answer to this is to have a public survey in about 7-8 years.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Peyton = Michael Jordon
    Reggie doesn't equal Michael Jordon

Now, maybe you could argue Reggie was 'our' Michael Jordan.... But Peyton IS the NFL's Michael Jordon.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Peyton = Michael Jordon
    Reggie doesn't equal Michael Jordon

Now, maybe you could argue Reggie was 'our' Michael Jordan.... But Peyton IS the NFL's Michael Jordon.
    I don't really follow football, but doesn't Tom Brady has some of the same stats as Manning ?

Reggie.

Peyton is obviously a much greater athlete, it's not even close. But the question was love right? EVERYONE loves Reggie, and there is a level of love that Peyton doesn't even have now. Check all of your facebooks, didn't some of you see posts from fellow Colts fans celebrating Peyton losing to the Colts?

Put it this way, Peyton is bigger than Indianapolis, Reggie IS Indianapolis.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Indy will always be Reggie's city. You put a last second impossible shot over the greatest basketball player in history with no time on the clock, in the E/C Finals no less? Yeah. You'll be a hero forever.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Unfortunately its Peyton, Hoosiers have lost touch with their roots.
    Haha what the hell does this even mean?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Reggie.

Peyton is obviously a much greater athlete, it's not even close. But the question was love right? EVERYONE loves Reggie, and there is a level of love that Peyton doesn't even have now. Check all of your facebooks, didn't some of you see posts from fellow Colts fans celebrating Peyton losing to the Colts?

Put it this way, Peyton is bigger than Indianapolis, Reggie IS Indianapolis.

That's Pacer bias speaking. It's just not true. Yes, people were cheering for the Colts to beat Peyton, but that's because Colts > Peyton. But that doesn't change the fact that Peyton > Reggie.

On a Pacer forum, you'll get people saying Reggie. But if a poll were conducted amongst your average Indy residents, this wouldn't even be close. These guys were just on different levels of stardom. This would be like comparing Michael Jordan and Sammy Sosa in Chicago. Sosa was a huge star, but Jordan was an all time legend in his sport.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    That's Pacer bias speaking. It's just not true. Yes, people were cheering for the Colts to beat Peyton, but that's because Colts > Peyton. But that doesn't change the fact that Peyton > Reggie.

On a Pacer forum, you'll get people saying Reggie. But if a poll were conducted amongst your average Indy residents, this wouldn't even be close. These guys were just on different levels of stardom. This would be like comparing Michael Jordan and Sammy Sosa in Chicago. Sosa was a huge star, but Jordan was an all time legend in his sport.
    JO was on a whole different level from Jeff Foster, but who is more beloved by Indy? One can be great, but not loved. One can be not great, but still loved much.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    JO was on a whole different level from Jeff Foster, but who is more beloved by Indy? One can be great, but not loved. One can be not great, but still loved much.

JO and Jeff Foster have nothing to do with Peyton Manning having the MAXIMUM love from a community that an athlete can have.

Reggie was loved a lot, but not on Peyt's level. It's Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St. Vincent.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    The answer is Peyton only because he is more fresh in people's minds. Reggie's last game was in 2005, Peyton's last game as a Colt was January of 2011. This would be an interesting discussion maybe 6 years from now when Peyton has long since retired.
    It will still be Peyton 15 years from now. The difference between Colt popularity and Pacer popularity is massive. Like pond compared to an ocean massive.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Haha what the hell does this even mean?
    You know exactly what it means.
    This state has turned its back on basketball in favor of football. Its not just Indy either, we have some of the best Basketball gym's in the nation but most of them are now abandoned or seldom used. Even during Reggie's hey day support for the Pacers was only truly strong during the playoffs. Butler had back to back NCAA title games, and yet they still couldn't even sell out Hinkle on the reg. You have to wonder about Indiana's love of basketball, I don't see it anymore.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.