Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 278

Thread: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

  1. #151
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,649

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love Granger as much as the next guy, but he's never gotten anyone in an excellent position to score. He's way too busy trying to get his own shots and passing may be his greatest weakness. Even greater than his mechanical right handed dribble.
    So, you are saying that Danny is not the player to get others in a position to score. Yet our second unit, if several of them were to be on the floor simultaneously, would be in dire need of a second setup man in addition to Watson. Does this not lead to the conclusion that Lance's setup/distribution abilities are needed in the second unit, whereas Granger should be in the starting lineup where he would be able to focus on just being a scorer?

    Have you suddenly shifted camps, or were you aware that your comments at face value could lead someone to reach a conclusion contrary to what you have been supporting for so many weeks/months?

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:


  3. #152
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,930

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    One of the reasons I believe Lance should retain the starting spot based on the 'it ain't broke so don't fix it' premise is that Danny Granger's game was sliding BEFORE missing last season. Now, quite possibly it was because of the knee and he was trying to adjust his game and play thru it. I don't know. What I do know is, unless Granger is better than he has been for a while BEFORE last season, then plugging him into the starting lineup in front of Lance would be a mistake.

    The Danny Granger of the last couple of years is not an upgrade to what Lance was bringing to the starting lineup.

    If I was the coach there is no way Granger would get that starting spot back unless he absolutely earned it. No legacy or loyalty starts.

    And not only that, but where we need improvement is off the bench. So that is the role that is available.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  5. #153
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,878

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm glad we didn't sign Oden or some of you would be telling me about his numbers of 3 years ago ignoring the years he was off(no comparing DG to Oden so stop it)
    Yeah, no one would do that.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  6. #154
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,878

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Quote Originally Posted by solid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And to the extent that such an argument is worth considering I would draw the opposite conclusion. Not Granger! Because GHill will more likely defer to Danny.Danny just will shoot more than lance and generally step to the fore.
    Hill will become subdued.
    Danny's never been fifth option in his life. Unless he starts hopping on one leg this year will not be any different.
    As I said earlier, when I talk about "options" I do not talk about shooting. I talk about having the ball in one's hands and creating scoring opportunities.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  7. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    This is what Reggie said about DG


    “Having a healthy Danny Granger will help,” he said. “And I’m not quite sure he’s going to be able to play 82 games;I’m thinking 65 to 70 would be great

    Even Reggie has his doubts.

  8. #156
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,925

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    He'll only play 65 to 70 games!? AHHH THE HORROR!!!!!!

    When you have to resort to something this lame to make your point about how injured he'll be, well, yeah....
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  10. #157

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    At the end of the day, I'm just going to trust Frank on this. He's never given me a reason to doubt him. So I think he'll make the best decision.

    There are arguments either way. But the idea that Lance is better than a healthy Granger is silly. Obviously Lance has more potential. That doesn't make him the better player right now. And we're trying to win right now.

    Not only that, but on paper, Danny fits in better with the starters. Are defense will be just as good, if not better with Danny in the lineup. It's bigger players that PG has to guard that causes him problems, not faster. And the offense will improve significantly. This team needs a shooter in the starting lineup, more than just about anything.

    That said, I do think it's reasonable to argue that this is a team that went to the ECF, and so we shouldn't be playing with starting lineups. I also think it's reasonable to argue, for consistencies sake, perhaps Lance should remain. Just in case Danny can't do back to backs, or has to miss time for whatever reason.

    That all being said, I go back to my first comment. I trust Frank. Maybe Lance has made remarkable improvement and is already a better player than Danny, we just haven't seen it yet. Maybe Danny is going to be fine, so consistency won't be a problem. Maybe the fact that Danny's a better fit on paper isn't reality, and the starters have better chemistry with Lance. I don't know the answers to those questions, but Frank will..And he'll get it right.

  11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  12. #158

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    A huge goal to the regular season has to be keeping this team healthy going into the playoffs, and that is really all that matters when it comes to this subject. Danny will sit out quite a few games I would think, but on the days he plays I expect PG, Danny, and Lance to take almost all of the minutes on the wing. There is only 96 mins to give at the wing, that is 32 mins each. I have to think PG will be closer to 36-38. Leaving 30 each for Lance and Danny.

  13. #159
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,041
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is what Reggie said about DG





    Even Reggie has his doubts.
    Him playing 65 games doesn't mean that he is not going to be productive. If we can get 70 games I would be excited. He will rest on back to backs. He will have strains and sprains. He will not go all Kobe and play through these. He will will have rests.

    Knowing that Vogel values the starting lineup having continuity. And if Granger is going to be resting frequently. Should that mean that he will not be a no brainer starter?

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  15. #160
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Do you only pick a starter guaranteed to give you 82 games? I would think if a team had a starter that missed 12 games spread evenly through the season that wouldn't be something that pushed them to the bench. Especially if the missed games are planned for (away back-to-backs and so forth) it would seem to be no problem to work it in to the schedule.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  17. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you only pick a starter guaranteed to give you 82 games? I would think if a team had a starter that missed 12 games spread evenly through the season that wouldn't be something that pushed them to the bench. Especially if the missed games are planned for (away back-to-backs and so forth) it would seem to be no problem to work it in to the schedule.
    If you are a contender I think so, this year every game counts specially with the Bulls and Rose back, I mean Danny's best case scenario as Reggie is putting it is 65-70 games, that is if nothing happens and we already know what happened in just 3 preseason games it would be a miracle if he can play that many games at a high level(I'm not even taking into consideration that it should take him about 2 months without setbacks to start playing at a high level if he is ever going to play at a high level).

    Your goal as a team is to have players that can give you 82 games and expect them to give you 70-75, as a contender you can't count on a guy to play 65-70 games as best case scenario so he can give you 50-60 games at the end of the year that is not smart, now if he was just another bench player the impact on the team is not as big.

  18. #162
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,878

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    David West played 73 games last year. Should we start Scola instead of David just in case David misses 10-15 more games this season?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  20. #163
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,925

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    GHill has never played a full season. Looks like CJ needs to be the starter.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  21. #164
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,041
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you only pick a starter guaranteed to give you 82 games? I would think if a team had a starter that missed 12 games spread evenly through the season that wouldn't be something that pushed them to the bench. Especially if the missed games are planned for (away back-to-backs and so forth) it would seem to be no problem to work it in to the schedule.
    I agree. Most players miss games. 10% is not that big. But much more than that and for what extended period is important. That is why I would go with who I know is healthy and who helped win so well last year.

    I am saying that it isn't a no brainer.

  22. #165
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,424

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    What about both starting and moving George Hill to the bench?
    David "And One" West

  23. #166
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,424

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Check out @1070Bruno's Tweet: https://twitter.com/1070Bruno/status/393448603219263488

    Lance will start. Debate over. Sorry Danny fans..... Born Ready will break out!!!
    David "And One" West

  24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:


  25. #167
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,925

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Agness tweets that Danny was going to be the starter, but won't start openning night bc he probably won't play. So looks like Danny is the first option for the starting unit.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  27. #168
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agness tweets that Danny was going to be the starter, but won't start openning night bc he probably won't play. So looks like Danny is the first option for the starting unit.
    Unfortunately he's only an option until he actually, you know, starts.

    What did he do, rip his calf muscle in half or something?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  29. #169
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,492

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    My guess is that Born Ready never loses the spot this season. He'll play like a bat out of hell and the team will pickup right where it left off last year. Our starting lineup needs to go pedal to the metal all season, and it's pretty clear that Danny needs to be brought along with caution after this calf thing. We need to save as much as him as possible for the playoffs.

  30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  31. #170
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,925

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    They have different grades of strains, would it kill the beat writers to actually report something about it?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  33. #171
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,492

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They have different grades of strains, would it kill the beat writers to actually report something about it?
    Maybe they learned from the Mike Wells School of Don't Ask Me About an Injury or I'll Get Super Pissy?

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  35. #172
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Pointer, I think, said it's not the strain, but the fact that the strain slowed down some part of his rehab for the knee *shrug*

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  37. #173
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    Hoping we sub Lance out early and let him play with the bench as the primary guy. He is perfect for that role.

  38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  39. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    @ScottAgness: Vogel: "There’s a process of [Granger] getting back in there, testing the calf again, make sure it’s strong. So it’s going to be some time."

    @michaelpointer: Injury is not related to knee problem, but Vogel said not practicing for last week has slowed knee rehabilitation. #Pacers

  40. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Official "Danny or Lance should start" Thread: Pros and Cons and Indiana's Offensive Options

    @ScottAgness: DG has done some shooting & ball handling, just no full-speed work or running in a straight line: "That puts the most strain on your calf."


    At least is not the flu lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •