Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Schefter: Colts fear Wayne tore ACL

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Schefter: Colts fear Wayne tore ACL

On a positive note, Jerry Rice tore his ACL and MCL at around the same age and came back to catch 82 passes for 1,157 yards and 9 touchdowns to next season. The injury broke Rice's streak of 189 consecutive games played, Reggie's was also broke at 189.

If anyone else can come back like Rice did, it's probably Reggie.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There was enough talk going around in the days leading up to the game about his consecutive game streak.....please let's not talk about how a certain person now leads the league in sacks against quarterbacks.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anybody see a correlation here between the rash of injuries and the fact that the NFL lowered the target area for defenders? I know that wasn't the case with Wayne, but many NFL teams are getting depleted fast it seems. I know there are long term aspects to concussions, but a knee injury tales a long time to come back from and can end your career. I think a lot of players would rather get hit up high than down low.
    I think it's just a coincidence.

Cobb is the only one I can really think of.

Just look at all the Colts injuries.

Ballard-Practice
    Bradshaw-Neck, not lower body
    Allen-hip, but came on a pretty normal tackle
    Wayne-non-contact

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I think it's just a coincidence.

Cobb is the only one I can really think of.

Just look at all the Colts injuries.

Ballard-Practice
    Bradshaw-Neck, not lower body
    Allen-hip, but came on a pretty normal tackle
    Wayne-non-contact
    http://www.thehoya.com/knee-injuries...7#.UmgZt2Jm23Y

Coincidence? I don't think so. There were a lot of guys with knee injuries in the preseason. Enough that the NFL started a study on the dangers of low hits. Don't know the specifics of their tackles, but I think 3 other high profile players are out for the season with knee injuries last week besides Wayne's non contact injury.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Coincidence? I don't think so. There were a lot of guys with knee injuries in the preseason. Enough that the NFL started a study on the dangers of low hits. Don't know the specifics of their tackles, but I think 3 other high profile players are out for the season with knee injuries last week besides Wayne's non contact injury.
    Personally, I think it has a lot more to do with the NFL's crackdown on PED usage. I think the same thing is happening in the NBA as we're starting to see more and more season-ending injuries there as well.

When I say PEDs, that doesn't necessarily mean those of the anabolic kind. I wouldn't be surprised if blood doping and the use of HGH kept a lot players healthier longer. Now a lot of players that used to use HGH use Creatine when training and that can cause problems with ligaments.

Creatine, a legal dietary supplement that is not banned by MLB, NFL, NBA or NCAA, is an amino acid that boosts lean muscle mass and strength. Studies show it's effective for sports like baseball, tennis and golf, activities that require intense but brief bursts of energy, and not so effective for sports that require endurance, such as running and soccer.

Creatine, according to Maharam, adds water molecules to muscle fibers, which causes the fibers to separate.

"This makes for easier muscle tears and slows the repair process, leaving them on injured reserve longer," Maharam says. "It is because of these side effects that professionals for a long time went away from creatine when they could use anabolics and HGH. Now that testing is stronger, I have seen a trend back toward the safer creatine."

Migdoel Miranda, a personal trainer whose clients include Phillies reliever J.C. Romero, says players should limit their use of creatine because it taxes bodies that are already stressed by long baseball seasons.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-...#ixzz2iZe6MM00
    I'm not saying I think Reggie Wayne used to use PEDs or Creatine but I wouldn't be surprised if some of these injured players did (Brian Cushing comes to mind) and could be now paying the penalty healthwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

No offense but an article from a senior in college in Georgetwon doesn't exactly prove that the NFL's crack down on helmet to helmet hits is causing more knee injuries. In fact, he doesn't even really have anything to support this argument. Other than a couple injuries and being able to quote the fines for head to head hits.

Bradford's knee injury was a result of being dragged down from behind.
    Cushing plays defense. Reggie's was non-contact. Those are the 3 knee injuries from last week that I'm aware of.

Of course the most serious injury from last week was Finley's which was a head/neck injury. There should be no insinuation by anyone that knee injuries are anywhere near on the same level as a head/neck injury. Only one of the guys I mentioned was in the ER.

Here's a quote from that article "“Hit me in the head,” Gonzalez says defiantly. He has a point. A player can sustain a concussion, sit on the bench for a few weeks, pass the doctor’s examination and be back on the field a short time later. "

Gonzalez and the guy writing the article might as well be saying Concussions are just a headache.

We can rebuild, rehab and restrengthen knees. There is no part of the knee that we don't understand. It's a joint. The author assertion that the knee is just as sacred as anything above the neck is pretty damn stupid IMO. Where are all of these helmet to knee hits that are taking people out?

RGIII is a terrible example. His first knee injury was caused because he flung himself in the air and his leg snapped back during the impact. The final tear happened on a non contact play when he slipped on the wet grass.

Direct helmet to knee hits are actually pretty rare, partially because they are so damn frowned upon from one player to the next. Also it's not like hit someone in the head or hit them in the knee, the bulk of the person and the best tackling target is elsewhere.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 10-23-2013 at 03:36 PM.

BTW, chop blocks against defensive players have been legal for years and years and years, and have probably been responsible for more knee and leg injuries than anything a defensive player has ever done to an offensive player. Just ask Brian Cushing.

What Charles did to him isn't much different that a helmet to knee hit, but it's completely legal on that side and in fact just an accepted part of the game. Tackling at the legs has always and will always been a necessary part of football. The players understand that.

There is no good reason for a player to aim for the head of another player. There just isn't. There are plenty of logical reasons to aim for someone's legs, and none of them have to do with hurting the guy. If you don't like you're just going to have to play or watch a different sport.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I'm not saying I think Reggie Wayne used to use PEDs or Creatine but I wouldn't be surprised if some of these injured players did (Brian Cushing comes to mind) and could be now paying the penalty healthwise.
    I'd be hesitant to lump PEDs and creatine together. Creatine is just a supplement.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

There is no good reason for a player to aim for the head of another player. There just isn't. There are plenty of logical reasons to aim for someone's legs, and none of them have to do with hurting the guy. If you don't like you're just going to have to play or watch a different sport.
    I doubt very many plays mean to aim for the head when they are tackling someone. Typically they don't seem to be aiming at anything but the person and they just happen to hit the head.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...this-offseason

If this could somehow be swung...yeah.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...this-offseason

If this could somehow be swung...yeah.

It would be awesome if we could somehow get him for the right price, but I still would prefer that we add a younger guy who can play alongside Luck for a long long time. Fitz obviously has some good years left in him, but he is 30 and this is his 10th season in the league. I'd rather get someone who is five years younger.

I agree I mean if we want Luck to succeed for a long time we need to reload on the roster here. I don't think the Colts would've been nearly as successful had we not drafted Wayne/Mathis etc while Manning was here. Now they're the "old guys" on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I agree I mean if we want Luck to succeed for a long time we need to reload on the roster here. I don't think the Colts would've been nearly as successful had we not drafted Wayne/Mathis etc while Manning was here. Now they're the "old guys" on the team.
    And Harrison was very young when Manning started. Manning was very fortunate to have either Harrison or Wayne (and often both) in their prime for his entire career.

I think T.Y. Hilton will be a nice piece for a while, but we still need to add a WR1 for the future. I think we should try to get a young one since Luck is obviously so young. I'd love to see us bring in a young stud WR who can play many many years with Luck. I'm not against Fitz because the Colts are definitely a "win now" team and he still has some good years left, but I'd much rather add someone who is in their mid 20's right now.

Mood

I seriously think Josh Gordon is Lucks Marvin or Reggie. The guy has serious talent. And his off the field issues are overblown out of proportion it's just weed. And if I was on the Browns I'd prolly be smoking weed as well. I think he would be fine performance wise and character wise on the Colts and he and Luck would be amazing together. I'd give up a second all day for Gordon.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...active-roster/

Colts bring Griff Whalen back to the active roster

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 28, 2013, 8:28 AM EDT

Getty Images
    The Colts added a needed body to their wide receiver corps, and it’s at least a familiar face.

The team announced they promoted wideout Griff Whalen from the practice squad, giving them some depth after Reggie Wayne was lost for the season with a torn ACL last Sunday night.

Whalen’s played in three games for the Colts this year, catching two passes. But his familiarity runs much deeper than that. He was one of quarterback Andrew Luck’s favorite targets at Stanford (where Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton was calling the plays).

He fills the roster spot created last week when they waived tight end Dominique Jones.

We still have one practice squad spot open, since we waived FB Robert Hughes from the PS last week.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always liked Whalen. I've always wondered why we always cut him instead of some of the others we've kept.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I've always liked Whalen. I've always wondered why we always cut him instead of some of the others we've kept.
    Part of the cutting process is guessing who won't be picked up by another team, and you can stash on the practice squad. If the less player is more likely to be snatched up, you might decide to keep him instead so you have both players available to you instead of just one.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post

We still have one practice squad spot open, since we waived FB Robert Hughes from the PS last week.
    Xavier Nixon was waived so I bet he lands on the 53 man roster. I wonder who will take Nixon's place on the 53 man roster though.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

You're right! Hmmmmm.