Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help-Pacers Digest is broken for me!!!!!

Mood

Default Re: Help-Pacers Digest is broken for me!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's possible. That was certainly the case for me, until I decided to go "all in" with Linux as mattie says. Now it's gotten to the point that whenever I have to use a Windows machine, it feels pretty alien to me. Nothing major, but just little things that I'm used to working in a certain way (like middle mouse paste or windows rolling up).

Dual booting is kind of a pain, but thankfully there are other hybrid solutions. Wine/Crossover on Linux, or Cygwin on Windows, lets you get a bit from both worlds. Or play with Virtualbox, if you have a beefy enough machine. That pretty much lets you have your cake and eat it too.
    I have a rig that could handle virtual box nicely. Which version of Linux do you recommend?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I have a rig that could handle virtual box nicely. Which version of Linux do you recommend?
    Ooh, what a dangerous question. Ready for a flame war?

In all honesty, most of the modern distros are pretty similar. I'd recommend one of the major ones (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mint) which all feature regular updates, large software collections, huge user community, and great support in general. I use OpenSUSE myself, mostly because I am a KDE fan and I think OpenSUSE has the best KDE implementation.

This site: http://virtualboxes.org/images/ seems to have ready-to-use images for VirtualBox, so you won't even need to hassle with the install. Try them out, and stick with what you like. That should get you started

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Ooh, what a dangerous question. Ready for a flame war?

In all honesty, most of the modern distros are pretty similar. I'd recommend one of the major ones (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mint) which all feature regular updates, large software collections, huge user community, and great support in general. I use OpenSUSE myself, mostly because I am a KDE fan and I think OpenSUSE has the best KDE implementation.

This site: http://virtualboxes.org/images/ seems to have ready-to-use images for VirtualBox, so you won't even need to hassle with the install. Try them out, and stick with what you like. That should get you started
    Let the flames begin...
    I'd recommend a debian-based distribution other than ubuntu (for several philisophical reasons). I really prefer debian sid based rolling distro's (such as Siduction or AptoSid) using the "smxi" script (google it) for updates... Some may think that's a bit hardcore for a beginner - although it's a great way to learn, and virtualbox is very easy to install/maintain with smxi, as well as graphics drivers. If that is hardcore for you, I'd probably recommend Linux Mint Debian Edition - based on Debian testing... ( http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php ). If you use a release that isn't a rolling release, make sure you have a separate partition for /home, as that will vastly simplify upgrading and/or re-installing...

...and now... make sure you use VIM as a text editor and not EMACS!!!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I've used a bunch of them both for business and for hobby, and I would tend to rank Fedora at the top and Ubuntu at the bottom. Bear in mind I am a complete non-GUI user when I am using linux.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

I'll add that if I'm going to use Linux, I want one that's GUI-friendly and is known for supporting lots of popular software (whatever that may be). Bonus points if it has a 'slick' look/feel to it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'll add that if I'm going to use Linux, I want one that's GUI-friendly and is known for supporting lots of popular software (whatever that may be). Bonus points if it has a 'slick' look/feel to it.
    Mint

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolHand For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm going to start by giving Mint a try. Pretty nice; I have two 24" monitors, so right now I have Windows 8 on the left, and full screen on the right I have Mint running through VirtualBox. Pretty cool.

Mood

Hmm. Well, I was. After installation finished, it said I needed to restart before file changes and whatnot would be preserved. I clicked to restart, and I've just got a black screen in VB right now.

*edit* I rebooted the 'machine' and now it's loading up. Weird.