Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Pacers @ Bulls 10/18/2013

Default Re: Pacers @ Bulls 10/18/2013

This is the first preseason game I watched. The team looked really tired and out of shape. That's what it means when players can't get the ball over the front of the rim (especially on free throws). The team clearly is not in game shape. What happened in training camp? Also the new players still look very uncomfortable.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They traveled half way across the world less than a week ago. That's why they have tired legs. Roy, West, and GHill all sat out practice wed. to rest.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was really happy with the starting unit and the first quarter, and I thought Lance coming off the bench looked pretty good. The problem was that our legs went out from under us in the 4th quarter, affecting shooting in general and FTs specifically. Is that still an artifact of the Asia trip? We're a day or two past when I would hope they would have recovered, but games and practices would have worn down the guys who didn't sit out Wednesday.

I also think if this had been a regular season game we would have seen Granger on the floor to take some of the fouling pressure off PG if nothing else. I understand why they are being cautious about the calf, and I also think it is great for Frank to be able to test out some deep lineups from time to time, but I'm starting to think of Scola as another one of those guys who are supposedly better than Danny yet turn out not to be when push comes to shove.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. Guess we shouldn't watch the team this year, it's hopeless.

We need to bow down to the big markets and know our place.

The Bulls beat the Nets in the playoffs last year without Rose and Deng- they can compete without a full roster. We have known this for awhile.
    I actually agree. This game doesn't mean squat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I was really happy with the starting unit and the first quarter, and I thought Lance coming off the bench looked pretty good. The problem was that our legs went out from under us in the 4th quarter, affecting shooting in general and FTs specifically. Is that still an artifact of the Asia trip? We're a day or two past when I would hope they would have recovered, but games and practices would have worn down the guys who didn't sit out Wednesday.

I also think if this had been a regular season game we would have seen Granger on the floor to take some of the fouling pressure off PG if nothing else. I understand why they are being cautious about the calf, and I also think it is great for Frank to be able to test out some deep lineups from time to time, but I'm starting to think of Scola as another one of those guys who are supposedly better than Danny yet turn out not to be when push comes to shove.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4
    Not sure if serious, actually some of the fouling pressure on Paul George yesterday was because he was trying to cover his guy and whoever Danny and Lance were guarding, he over helps to cover for the other guys mistakes too much.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Not sure if serious, actually some of the fouling pressure on Paul George yesterday was because he was trying to cover his guy and whoever Danny and Lance were guarding, he over helps to cover for the other guys mistakes too much.
    There's been some of this for sure...but they've also called Paul on a lot of bs fouls when he's "bodying" his man on the perimeter. Idk if it's the refs in preseason form or if it's a new emphasis, but they're calling A LOT of touch fouls on our perimeter players with Paul receiving the brunt of it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    I actually agree. This game doesn't mean squat.
    Well, don't forget that last year there were several posters saying "David West should demand out, this team doesn't deserve him" during the loss to Miami early in the regular season.

Fans in general, and most that post here during games, are lemurs. The first sign of trouble, lets overreact and jump ship.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Well, don't forget that last year there were several posters saying "David West should demand out, this team doesn't deserve him" during the loss to Miami early in the regular season.

Fans in general, and most that post here during games, are lemurs. The first sign of trouble, lets overreact and jump ship.
    Nobody here is writing the obit for the Pacers after a string of losses in the preseason. The only thing I said is, until something changes, the Pacers are looked upon league wide as being a step behind the Bulls at this point. That's not to say things will not change pretty quickly. The first part of the season last year we looked pretty weak, particularly George and Hibbert. Then they turned it around. I fully expect our team to play better as the year progresses.

But that game did mean more than a typical preseason game. No, it didn't effect the standings but we had already lost the first preseason contest with Chicago and I'm certain we tried to win that game last night. IOW, I believe that was in fact a real display of what we should expect for the regular season. If the regular season had started with that game, I seriously doubt the outcome would have been different. The caveat is that we did travel half way around the world and had tired legs.

Let's see how we fair against the Brooklyn's of the NBA as well. We had a good run last year and I don't think it was a fluke. But we still have a lot to prove.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 10-19-2013 at 06:44 PM.

If the Pacers won people viewing the Pacers behind would say its just preseason and wait until the regular season to make the swap if they even do. You know, like we should be doing.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I thought the Pacers played well in spurts. nothing that concerns me

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    There's been some of this for sure...but they've also called Paul on a lot of bs fouls when he's "bodying" his man on the perimeter. Idk if it's the refs in preseason form or if it's a new emphasis, but they're calling A LOT of touch fouls on our perimeter players with Paul receiving the brunt of it.
    Well, I guess, but from what coach vnzla is saying it must be that PG never has to body up his man, it is those defensive liabilities DG and Lance who force him from his elite defense into the coarseness of having to *gasp* touch someone with his body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh