Thread: Bill Russell arrested and released after bringing a gun to a Seattle airport

Default Bill Russell arrested and released after bringing a gun to a Seattle airport

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...attle-airport/

Report: NBA legend Bill Russell arrested and released after bringing a gun to Seattle airport

NBA legend Bill Russell was arrested on Friday after bringing a handgun into a prohibited area at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

The details, from KIRO in Seattle:

Russell, who won 11 NBA championships with the Boston Celtics and coached the Seattle Supersonics and Sacramento Kings, had a permit for the gun and was released. His background check was clear, an airport spokesman said.

Russellís .38-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun was found at a security checkpoint Wednesday evening during routine screening of carry-on baggage, TSA spokeswoman Lori Dankers said in a statement. Russell was cited by Port of Seattle police on a state charge, she said. Ö

In addition to facing local or state criminal charges, TSA will levy a civil penalty against a passenger who brings a firearm to the security checkpoint, Dankers said. The recommended civil penalty ranges from $3,000 to $7,500, but each penalty is evaluated on a case-by-case basis, she said.

The key details here are obviously the fact that Russell had a permit for the weapon, and that he was released shortly following his arrest. Russell is 79 years of age, so itís quite possible that he may not have been fully up to speed on all of the latest airport security procedures.

Inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1975, Russell is set to have a statue unveiled in Boston on November 1.

Default Re: Bill Russell arrested and released after bringing a gun to a Seattle airport

Thug
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bill Russell arrested and released after bringing a gun to a Seattle airport

Terrorism has a new face
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

I'm sure he would only use it for defensive purposes...
    LeWade are going down.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/98...ort-gun-arrest

Bill Russell releases apology

NBA legend Bill Russell has apologized for his arrest last week at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport after a loaded gun was found in his carry-on luggage.

"Before boarding my flight from Seattle to Boston, I had accidentally left a legal firearm in my bag," Russell said in a statement. "I apologize and truly regret the mistake.

"I was issued a citation by the TSA, whose agents couldn't have been more thorough and professional when dealing with this. I really appreciate their efforts to keep air travel safe."

The Transportation Security Administration says airport police arrested Russell on Wednesday night at a security screening after agents noticed a .38-caliber Smith & Wesson pistol in his carry-on bag.

TSA spokeswoman Lori Dankers says Russell was turned over to Port of Seattle police and cited on a state charge of having a weapon in a prohibited area. Russell had a permit for the gun, which was loaded with six rounds and confiscated, and he was released, according to Dankers.

Airline passengers are permitted to travel with firearms only in checked baggage. They must be stored properly and unloaded.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Eleven on my fingers, Nine on my waist" - Bill Russell
    "He's too little! He's too little! Hook his @ss he's too little!!" - David West

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently 38 on his waist... or in his carry-on...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Apparently 38 on his waist... or in his carry-on...

That someone would make such a mistake like this is not out of the question. My buddy did the same thing on a flight to Mexico and the bag actually made it through security. It was checked luggage though. And yes this was post-9/11. He freaked out when he saw the gun in his bag at the hotel and ended up throwing it in the ocean, waste of a good gun but he didn't want to risk trying to get caught bringing a gun from Mexico into the US.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    That someone would make such a mistake like this is not out of the question. My buddy did the same thing on a flight to Mexico and the bag actually made it through security. It was checked luggage though. And yes this was post-9/11. He freaked out when he saw the gun in his bag at the hotel and ended up throwing it in the ocean, waste of a good gun but he didn't want to risk trying to get caught bringing a gun from Mexico into the US.
    as it turns out, it is ok to bring it on checked luggage and unloaded. he didn't need to throw it away after all.

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    Terrorism has a new face
    Look out for suspicious 79-year-old men everyone!
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The nba finals MVP trophy will henceforth be replaced by a silver glock 19....

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    as it turns out, it is ok to bring it on checked luggage and unloaded. he didn't need to throw it away after all.
    While what you say is true, its not legal to take it to Mexico or to bring a gun into the US from Mexico so while I hate to see him waste a good gun, federal firearms charges would mean he would not be able to own the gun anyway, I would rather give it to the ocean than the federal government along with my freedom.

I accidentally brought a handgun into Canada (pre 9/11) and I freaked out when I realized it. Had they asked to see my registration it would have been bad since it was in the glove box. We were stopping to eat anyway so I put it in the trunk under the spare tire and made it home just fine. But had it been post 9/11 I might have thrown it in the river.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mess with Mr.Russel and you'll get snubbed.
    Pacers,baby!

Why Seattle is my question
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Why Seattle is my question
    ....Because that is where he lives?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I don't know if you guys watched Mr. Russell's House it was on NBA TV a while back Bill Simmons interviewed him. It was pretty good talked about his career the racism he dealt with etc.

He mentioned that he lived in Seattle because he loved the place