Thread: Grantland League Pass Watchability Rankings

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Grantland League Pass Watchability Rankings

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-pass-rankings

So I guess Jalen wasn't too impressed with Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    INDIANA PACERS: 67.5

Zach: Seems appropriate we've lumped Memphis and Indiana right next to each other, right?

Bill: Why, because it's Adam Silver's worst-case scenario for his first Finals?

Zach: Competitive balance, baby! These are two defense-first teams with slow, unglamorous offenses that will be pretty stinky for large portions of the season. But the Pacers have one guy who looks like a potential ballhandling, wing-scoring superstar in Paul George, so they're a more conventionally appealing team to watch. And George is already an elite defender, if you enjoy such things.

Bill: I'm thoroughly intrigued and can't wait to see if PG24 makes a second leap. Were the Pacers a fluke contender along the lines of, say, the 2007 Jazz, 2009 Nuggets or 2004 T-Wolves a team that took advantage of injuries/upsets/timing and outkicked their coverage for one season? Or did they build something a little more lasting? I want to find out.

Zach: And we'd never before seen Roy Hibbert play 35 to 40 minutes of inspired two-way ball over an extended stretch. He needs to do that full-time in the playoffs for these guys to come out of the East. That'll be fun to monitor. Plus, Luis Scola, and Luis Scola's flopping hair, make any team more watchable especially when he's taking Tyler Hansbrough's old minutes. It's hard to top a bench watchability upgrade like the one from Hansbrough to Scola, and that doesn't even factor in how much better the Pacers might be with a real bench.

Bill: We know Chicago and Brooklyn will be MUCH better, and we know the Clippers, Rockets and maybe even the Warriors are contenders now. I liked the Scola/Watson additions, and you can't underestimate the worth of Larry Legend's return karma. But they're not going to seriously contend unless they can flip Danny Granger's expiring into one more asset. Jalen went on that Philippines trip and came away thinking Granger was D-U-N done. What's your ideal Granger trade?

Zach: I just don't think there's a killer deal out there. I mean, you'd want a wing player with some shot-creation juice what they thought they were getting in Gerald Green, basically but there's just not a big market for an expiring deal linked to a player in decline. You're not getting a first-round pick, and the Pacers can't just swallow someone's unwanted long-term salary not with well over $60 million already committed for next season (and Lance Stephenson due a new contract). You can find some workable deals, but not many that move the needle for Indy.

Bill: So I guess you're not biting on my "Gerald Wallace and Courtney Lee for Granger's expiring" idea.

Zach: You don't want to make the Legend mad, do you?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Grantland League Pass Watchability Rankings

I was about to post that. "Loved" Simmons part:

"Bill: We know Chicago and Brooklyn will be MUCH better, and we know the Clippers, Rockets and maybe even the Warriors are contenders now. I liked the Scola/Watson additions, and you can't underestimate the worth of Larry Legend's return karma. But they're not going to seriously contend unless they can flip Danny Granger's expiring into one more asset."

We contended without Granger last season yet somehow he's a burden now or done and we need to find a replacement to be serious contenders. Alrighty then. The gems keep coming from him.

Pacers' problem last season was the dreadful bench. We seriously upgraded it last summer. No reason not to be contending this season.
    Last edited by Johanvil; 10-18-2013 at 11:06 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    I was about to post that. Loved Simmons part:

"Bill: We know Chicago and Brooklyn will be MUCH better, and we know the Clippers, Rockets and maybe even the Warriors are contenders now. I liked the Scola/Watson additions, and you can't underestimate the worth of Larry Legend's return karma. But they're not going to seriously contend unless they can flip Danny Granger's expiring into one more asset."

We contended without Granger last season yet somehow he's a burden now or done and we need to find a replacement to be serious contenders.

Pacers' problem last season was the dreadful bench. We seriously upgraded this off season. No reason not to be contending this season.
    I assumed he meant that Chicago and Brooklyn would be much, much better relative to themselves a season ago, not the Pacers.

-Lance Stephenson

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think anybody expected Granger to return to all-star form, because we don't need all-star Danny on this team. We need Danny to come in a take pressure off of the other scorers by hitting shots and spreading the floor.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Yeah the Bill and Jalen preview thing has the Pacers ranked above Brooklyn so when he says "MUCH better" I don't think he is talking about the teams compared to one another.

I expect Granger to start slow, but honestly by the end of the season I expect his average PPG the final month or two to be on par with George, if not the leading scorer outright. His season totals will probably be 3rd or 4th though.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I assumed he meant that Chicago and Brooklyn would be much, much better relative to themselves a season ago, not the Pacers.
    That's what I thought as well.

By the way, I like Zach Lowe. He knows how to write and seems to appreciate a good defensive showing. He was also pretty spot on about us.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just don't get why the perception around the league is that we need to trade Danny. Surely having him a low usage role, whether it be with the starters or bench, would be better than the return we would get?

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    I just don't get why the perception around the league is that we need to trade Danny. Surely having him a low usage role, whether it be with the starters or bench, would be better than the return we would get?
    I think it is more pundits who think it is always better to trade a player than just to let their contract expire. Who knows, depending on how Granger, Orlando, Solo, and Lance play it might be better to keep Granger and let Lance walk.

I'm not sure how much stock I would put into Jalen Rose's Phillippines assessment considering the fact that all the players were worn out from what was a glorified NBA ambassador trip, a flight around the world, it being only their second and third preseason games, Danny shaking off rust from missing an entire season for all intents and purposes, and Danny's well-chronicled history of being a slow starter even when he's healthy. Is there reason for concern? Of course, but calling him done at this point seems like they are jumping the gun quite a bit.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    Yeah, I'm a little puzzled by that too. At least Lowe mentions the glaring problem with that: We would have to take back enough salary to at least get close to Danny's cap figure and if the deals aren't expiring (unless Danny comes out gangbusters and drastically improves his value around the league, part of his trade value will be his expiring deal), we make resigning Lance Stephenson much harder than it already will be. It's not the sexy thing to do, but hanging onto Danny and just letting his contract expire may be the best thing for the team in the short and long term.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

They had Golden State at #1. I can't argue with that. If I had LP they would be one of my teams even though they start so late.

Simmons is so incredibly dismissive of anything the Pacers have done. Grantland ran a big story last year about "Pacer Problems" predicting the impending demise of the team. That turned out to be true didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah, I'm a little puzzled by that too. At least Lowe mentions the glaring problem with that: We would have to take back enough salary to at least get close to Danny's cap figure and if the deals aren't expiring (unless Danny comes out gangbusters and drastically improves his value around the league, part of his trade value will be his expiring deal), we make resigning Lance Stephenson much harder than it already will be. It's not the sexy thing to do, but hanging onto Danny and just letting his contract expire may be the best thing for the team in the short and long term.
    Yeah, I'd be very surprised if we traded Danny. I think, as you do, he's just going to have to go due to the luxury tax issue, and we'll re-sign Lance and promote Orlando and/or Solomon up a spot in the rotation at wing to fill in as best we can, with of course Lance most likely starting at SG again.

And considering I feel good about those guys, I'm okay with that, but I don't like seeing Danny having to leave now in terms of how most of his time here was during the bad times.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Danny is so done that he is starting tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I'm glad to hear he's starting tonight, it sounds like Vogel is moving forward with him the preseason as he should be, Vogel should be able to lock the lineup down by the end of the preseason. Rose is an idiot if that's what he's taken away from seeing Danny in the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Simmons is so incredibly dismissive of anything the Pacers have done. Grantland ran a big story last year about "Pacer Problems" predicting the impending demise of the team. That turned out to be true didn't it?

And it's a little bizarre considering that his idol Larry Bird is running the team.

Didn't he pick the Knicks in 5 against us?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Well, in all honesty, at least they're being consistent. Right or wrong, they are assuming Rose makes Chicago the clear #2 in the East, and that Garnett/Pierce make Brooklyn the #3 or #4 team in the East.

That's putting a ton of stock in 2 moves, but again, they're being consistent.

As an aside, anyone else love that Brooklyn is becoming Simmons new Boston, in terms of homerism? He's unable to think clearly about his "boys".

If they're wrong about the impact of Rose's return and Pierce/Garnett in Brooklyn, their entire premise of Chicago and possibly Brooklyn being elite contenders falls away.

And forgive me for not giving a **** about Jalen's opinion on Granger. He has yet to give me any reason to believe he's worth anything as a commentator, given his inability to make any decent observations during the playoffs last year (His "analysis" during the CF and Finals...lmao)

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I'm glad that they factored in the ability to choose between home-away broadcasts. Big boosts for the Bulls and the Celtics. For Indiana, it's probably a wash. I'll probably watch half the game and then remember this feature just about every game...

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I thought he sat out again last night? I didn't watch any of the game. Regardless, I don't think he meant he was done playing. I think he meant he was done playing well.

-Lance Stephenson

Danny looked pretty good in the Chicago game Friday.

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I expect Granger to start slow, but honestly by the end of the season I expect his average PPG the final month or two to be on par with George, if not the leading scorer outright. His season totals will probably be 3rd or 4th though.
    That would be quite optimistic. Danny barely scored more than Paul George prior to this team getting much, much better. All signs indicate, at best, Danny is in the mid teens. Personally, I think the odds are he's going to score less and IMO he will not finish the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Danny looked pretty good in the Chicago game Friday.
    I thought so too.

The Pacers need Granger to be a player opposing teams respect enough that it will open the floor for George, Hibbert, etc. Kind of like how an older center would still draw double teams just out of respect.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    I thought so too.

The Pacers need Granger to be a player opposing teams respect enough that it will open the floor for George, Hibbert, etc. Kind of like how an older center would still draw double teams just out of respect.
    Well when Granger got the ball in the post against the Rockets they had Dwight double him. In the first game against the Bullls I think it was Boozer who doubled. So I think teams still respect him a ton.