Thread: Allen Iverson to officially retire on October 30th

Default Allen Iverson to officially retire on October 30th

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/98...oct-30-sources

Allen Iverson to retire Oct. 30

Allen Iverson To Officially Retire

Allen Iverson, who became one of the most prolific scorers in NBA history while playing for the Philadelphia 76ers, will officially announce his retirement at the club's home opener Oct. 30, according to sources close to the situation.

The 38-year-old Iverson, an 11-time All-Star, finished his career averaging 26.7 points per game, the sixth-best career scoring mark in league history.

He trails only Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, LeBron James, Elgin Baylor and Jerry West in career points per game. At just 6 feet tall, Iverson is the smallest player ever to average 20 points or more for his career.

Jesse D. Garrabrant/Getty Images
    Allen Iverson, 38, will officially announce his retirement at the 76ers' home opener Oct. 30.
    Iverson, who also averaged 6.2 assists and 2.2 steals for his career, played his first 10 seasons in Philadelphia, winning Rookie of the Year honors in 1997 after being the No. 1 overall pick out of Georgetown. He led the league in scoring in four seasons and steals in three. He is Philadelphia's franchise leader in 40-point games (76) and 3-pointers (885) and is second behind Hal Greer in points (19,931).

In 2001, Iverson won the league's MVP award while leading the Sixers to the NBA Finals, where they lost in five games to Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers.

In 2006, Iverson was traded to the Denver Nuggets. He also played with Detroit and Memphis before returning to the Sixers for 25 games during the 2009-10 season.

In August, Slam Magazine reported that Iverson would announce his retirement during the summer.

It's fitting that Iverson will officially retire on a night when the Sixers play the Miami Heat. James recently told ESPN The Magazine that Iverson was his second-favorite player (behind Jordan) growing up.

"He played like a 6-8 2-guard," James said of Iverson. "He was one of the greatest finishers we've ever seen. You could never question his heart. Ever."

In recent years, Iverson has made headlines off the court. In December, divorce filings revealed he had serious financial issues.

Member Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Allen Iverson to officially retire on October 30th

October 2010?
    Oldness comes with a smile
    To every love given child
    Oldness comes to rile
    The youth who dream suicide

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi For This Useful Post:

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    October 2010?
    Just giving free agency a last gasp chance until now, I guess.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

The guy has millions coming to him at the age of 55. Then he can squander the rest of his money away.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

http://nba.si.com/2013/11/27/allen-i...-76ers-sixers/

Sixers to honor Allen Iverson with jersey retirement

The Sixers announced Wednesday that 11-time All-Star guard Allen Iverson will have his No. 3 jersey retired by the franchise. The ceremony will take place at halftime of Philadelphia’s March 1 game against Washington at the Wells Fargo Center.

“Allen Iverson is, without question, one of the most iconic players to ever wear the Sixers uniform,” Sixers CEO Scott O’Neil said in a statement. “Allen left everything out on the court and no one could ever question his heart – he was relentless, fearless and pound-for-pound, was one of the greatest to ever play the game.”

The jersey retirement was only a matter of time, as Iverson served as the face of the franchise that he carried to the 2001 Finals. Philadelphia selected him with the No. 1 pick in the 1996 draft and he spent the first 10-plus years of his career in the City of Brotherly Love. After stops with the Nuggets, Pistons and Grizzlies, Iverson then took a brief homecoming victory lap with the Sixers in 2009-10. This year, the Sixers have honored Iverson with his own bobblehead night and they played host in October when Iverson formally announced his retirement from basketball.

RELATED: Remembering Allen Iverson’s career

“You know, I thought once this day came it would be basically a tragic day,” Iverson said at his retirement press conference. “I promise you it is a happy day for me. I really thought this day would be a tough day for me, but it’s a happy day. … I gave everything I had to basketball and the passion is still there, the desire to play is just not. I just feel good that I’m happy with the decision I’m making. It was a great ride.”

Regarded by some as the best pound-for-pound scorer in league history, the 6-foot, 165-pound Iverson is tied with Wilt Chamberlain for the highest scoring average in Sixers franchise history. He also ranks second in minutes played, second in points, second in steals and third in assists on Philadelphia’s all-time lists. During his 14-year NBA career, Iverson won four scoring titles, was selected to seven All-NBA teams, was named 1997 Rookie of the Year and 2001 MVP.

“I’m going to always be a Sixer until I die,” Iverson told reporters in October.

Iverson will become the eighth player in franchise history to have his jersey retired, joining: Charles Barkley (No. 34), Wilt Chamberlain (No. 13), Maurice Cheeks (No. 10), Billy Cunningham (No. 32), Julius Erving (No. 6), Hal Greer (No. 15) and Bobby Jones (No. 24)

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They were going to have a run-through of the ceremony to make sure everything worked, but Iverson refused to show up
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Practice?
    "We want Miami"

Well deserved, that's for sure.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think the league will ever see another player like him. Trying to think who's closest right now and drawing a total blank.