Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 141

Thread: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

  1. #76
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone remember how weakly the Pacers ended the regaulr season last year?
    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was when the seedings had been decided and there was really nothing to play for.
    That's entirely untrue. On April 2nd, the Pacers were only .004 percentage points behind the Knicks for the #2 seed. Indy went 1-5 from the, Knicks went 7-1, and Nets, who were 5 games back on 4/2, almost caught Indy.

    The April games mattered in the standings.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:


  3. #77
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,903

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was when the seedings had been decided and there was really nothing to play for. This year - they need to start strong from Day 1. Home court in the POs. They can't afford to whizz away a few games to get in their groove.
    So wait, are you suggesting that preseason games 1-4 are more important than regular season games that lead directly into the most important time of the season, the playoffs. (and no, the seedings had not been decided, at least not all of them)


    Yes they do need to start strong from game #1 if the regular season. But the point is does a good preseason lead to a good start of the regular season?

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  5. #78

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So games 78, 79, 80, 81, and 82 were meaningless while game 1, 2, 3, and 4 are super-duper important?
    When you get to the end of the season standings, well - yes.

  6. #79
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,475

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you get to the end of the season standings, well - yes.
    So end of the season games, aren't important for season ending standings, but beginning sesaon games are important for season ending standings. It's completely flipped. When you stumble out of the gate at the beginning of a season, you have 70+ games to make up the difference and you get those games to correct the issues. When you falter at the end of the season, you don't have that many games to make up for it and then you have to deal with correcting issues when you're dealing with playoffs.

    I'm much rather the Pacers struggle games 1-10 than 72-82.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  7. #80
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,384

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So end of the season games, aren't important for season ending standings, but beginning sesaon games are important for season ending standings. It's completely flipped. When you stumble out of the gate at the beginning of a season, you have 70+ games to make up the difference and you get those games to correct the issues. When you falter at the end of the season, you don't have that many games to make up for it and then you have to deal with correcting issues when you're dealing with playoffs.

    I'm much rather the Pacers struggle games 1-10 than 72-82.
    I think by the end of the season and games 72-82 you have established who you are. Last year bares that out.
    They lost there last few games but we knew who they were as far as defense and offense is concerned.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:


  9. #81

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Good Lord. You folks are as bad as the damn mediots at twisting and contriving things.

    Games 1-4 in the REGULAR SEASON are important. They matter at the end of the season in the standings. It's not like they get to throw out a bad stretch of games.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  11. #82
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,475

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good Lord. You folks are as bad as the damn mediots at twisting and contriving things.

    Games 1-4 in the REGULAR SEASON are important. They matter at the end of the season in the standings. It's not like they get to throw out a bad stretch of games.
    What am I twisting and contriving? Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I'm making stuff up.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  12. #83
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,903

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    But this isn't the regular season this is the preseason.

    Yes 1-4 games of regular season are important. But I contend that a bad preseason does not lead to a bad start of the regular season. Just like a bad finish to the regular season doesn't mean that the playoffs are going to start off bad. IMO there is no cause and effect.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-17-2013 at 11:00 AM.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  14. #84
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,475

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes 1-4 games of regular season are important.
    Sure, they're important but the value of games goes up as the remaining total of games goes down. 1 game out of 82 carries a lot less weight than 1 game out of 10. The deeper the season goes, the more important games become when you're fighting for position.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  15. #85
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,604

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    So far here are our games

    Game 1 against a division rival who had their super star return for his first game in a year.
    Then we literally hopped right onto a plane for what I am assuming is an 18-20 hour flight not counting time spent in airports.
    Played a game what 2 days later? Think about that, these guys had to try and recover from their first NBA game action in close to 5 months on an airplane and in airports. Not exactly ideal conditions. They left right after the Bulls game.
    Flew to another country, played another game.
    Flew all the way home and played a game 3 days later.

    I've flown from Chicago to China before. It wipes you out. Our preseason is meaningless. These guys are probably barely adjusted even just now. They probably won't truly feel themselves til the 20th or 21st which will be a week removed from their flight.

    Our travel and schedule in this preseason, takes an already unimportant thing, and makes it virtually meaningless. Even if we were winning our games by 30, I would say we don't really know what we have because these guys just simply aren't themselves. And all it takes is to watch pretty much any clip of Paul George on defense so far this preseason. Dude has been the laziest defensive player on the court in every game he's played in. You really think that's going to continue? He's not crashing the boards pretty much at all. We're clearly just coasting and trying to stay healthy and get some cardio in.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 10-17-2013 at 11:25 AM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  17. #86
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,903

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure, they're important but the value of games goes up as the remaining total of games goes down. 1 game out of 82 carries a lot less weight than 1 game out of 10. The deeper the season goes, the more important games become when you're fighting for position.
    I tend to believe though a lot of times the last 6 or so games of the regular season often are not meaningful. Teams that are out of it will rest players. Teams that have clinched will rest some starters. playoff teams are gearing up for playoffs, rather than trying to win the current regular season games.

    My wacky theory is that the months of January, February and March are the three most important months. And I am not talking about the math of trying to get the best seed, I am talking about months when the best teams distance themselves from the other teams (and not just record wise) For some reason january is when I learn the most about teams. If I had to pick only 1 week of the regular season to watch, I would probably pick the 2nd of 3rd week of January.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  19. #87
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,604

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I tend to believe though a lot of times the last 6 or so games of the regular season often are not meaningful. Teams that are out of it will rest players. Teams that have clinched will rest some starters. playoff teams are gearing up for playoffs, rather than trying to win the current regular season games.

    My wacky theory is that the months of January, February and March are the three most important months. And I am not talking about the math of trying to get the best seed, I am talking about months when the best teams distance themselves from the other teams (and not just record wise) For some reason january is when I learn the most about teams.
    The best player int he world pretty much said this exact same thing a couple weeks ago. He basically said Miami didn't really turn it on until January. You'll notice something about the months of Jan, Feb, and March. Miami and the Pacers rolled those months. The Knicks who were world beaters in Nov and Dec and April sucked it up big time.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  21. #88
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,475

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Knicks who were world beaters in Nov and Dec and April sucked it up big time.
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the Knicks went 8-2 during the month of April, in the regular season. They beat Miami, OKC, the Pacers, and Atl (twice).

    The heat, btw, went 8-1 during the month of April. And that loss was the first game in April. Not to mention that was after going 13-1 during March.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  22. #89
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,604

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the Knicks went 8-2 during the month of April, in the regular season. They beat Miami, OKC, the Pacers, and Atl (twice).

    The heat, btw, went 8-1 during the month of April. And that loss was the first game in April.
    Sorry I meant they were great in Nov Dec and Apr, not so great in Jan Feb March.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  23. #90
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,604

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    To me, the two most important and interesting games of the Pacers preseason will be the last 2. Frank has said he plans to play normal rotations that game and it would be far enough removed from the travel that we should see a more engaged and rested team.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  25. #91
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me, the two most important and interesting games of the Pacers preseason will be the last 2. Frank has said he plans to play normal rotations that game and it would be far enough removed from the travel that we should see a more engaged and rested team.
    And, of course, I won't be able to watch either of them because I don't have NBATV and they are not on locally.

  26. #92
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,857

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by FireTheCoach View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nuntius needs to contact Mark and Slick to remind them that this is only the preseason and it's "to be expected" that they wouldn't play well.
    I am only stating my opinion, my friend. You have every right to think otherwise and I don't plan to change your or the announcer's opinions. You have every right to think that the sky is falling for all I care.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  27. #93
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,475

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am only stating my opinion, my friend. You have every right to think otherwise and I don't plan to change your or the announcer's opinions. You have every right to think that the sky is falling for all I care.
    And we all have the right to laugh at the doom and gloom predictions, just like we did last year. Anyone remember how awful this board was when the Pacers were sitting at 10-11 with certain posters declaring the season over?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  29. #94
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,857

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Games 1-4 in the REGULAR SEASON are important.
    Yeah but we're not in the Regular Season yet.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  30. #95
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,857

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And we all have the right to laugh at the doom and gloom predictions, just like we did last year. Anyone remember how awful this board was when the Pacers were sitting at 10-11 with certain posters declaring the season over?
    Yep. It's always funny when those people return when they realize that the season was never over
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  31. #96
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,492

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And we all have the right to laugh at the doom and gloom predictions, just like we did last year. Anyone remember how awful this board was when the Pacers were sitting at 10-11 with certain posters declaring the season over?
    I'm still laughing and mocking the panic mode that the board was in at that point, not to mention the mocking of those who didn't lose their minds and called for the team to be blown and Vogel to be canned.

    So much mileage there...
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  33. #97
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Any one hear what Vogel was yelling across the court at Lance at the close of the 3rd qtr. It sounded like he was yelling for him to move the ball. Yet Lance just power-drived right to the cup. Then proceeded to act like he was hit by a mac truck.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  34. #98

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And we all have the right to laugh at the doom and gloom predictions, just like we did last year. Anyone remember how awful this board was when the Pacers were sitting at 10-11 with certain posters declaring the season over?
    Ya I remember a certain poster claimed Paul George's value "will never be any higher". **** was cray back in them days.

  35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:


  36. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    @ScottAgness: Chris Copeland opens up: "I would like to be everything and more that they thought they got with me." http://t.co/1II0uE37SH

    Vogel needs to stop telling him to keep shooting.

  37. #100
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,857

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mavs @ Pacers 3rd preseason game

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @ScottAgness: Chris Copeland opens up: "I would like to be everything and more that they thought they got with me." http://t.co/1II0uE37SH

    Vogel needs to stop telling him to keep shooting.
    Thanks for the link, vnzla. That's a very interesting read and it also confirms my suspicion that Copeland kept shooting because he was instructed by Frank to do so. That's exactly what I said after the 1st game, by the way.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •