Thread: Cbs Local: North Andover High Punishes Teen For Giving Drunken Pal Ride Home From Party

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Cbs Local: North Andover High Punishes Teen For Giving Drunken Pal Ride Home From Party

Zero tolerance and zero common sense

NORTH ANDOVER (CBS) ó Itís tough for Eleanor Cox to talk about how heartbroken her daughter Erin is over the punishment she received for doing what she thought was right.

ďSheís very fragile and Iím worried about her. Very worried about her. She didnít do anything wrong,Ē Cox told WBZ-TV on Sunday.

Two weeks ago, Erin received a call from a friend at a party who was too drunk to drive. Erin drove to Boxford after work to pick up her friend. Moments after she arrived, the cops arrived too and busted several kids for underage possession of alcohol.

A North Andover High School honor student, Erin was cleared by police, who agreed she had not been drinking and was not in possession of alcohol. But Andover High told Erin she was in violation of the districtís zero tolerance policy against alcohol and drug use. In the middle of her senior year, Erin was demoted from captain of the volleyball team and told she would be suspended from playing for five games.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/10/13/north-andover-high-punishes-teen-for-giving-drunken-pal-ride-home-from-party/

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cbs Local: North Andover High Punishes Teen For Giving Drunken Pal Ride Home From Party

A lot of schools look to zero tolerance is out of necessity due to the idiocy of a lot of parents. I guarantee you if they would not have suspended her some parent of another child that was suspended would throw a fit and try to sue the school for discrimination or something.

This is so horrible because all it does is teach this kid not to help people when they are in need. It sucks that zero tolerance is going to ruin this girls senior year. The principal should have some back bone and tell any complaining parents off if they complain about her not being suspended.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Cbs Local: North Andover High Punishes Teen For Giving Drunken Pal Ride Home From Party

If it were me, it would teach me to not respect authority as much as I did before the incident.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

25-30 years ago the cops probably would've dumped out the booze and called the kids' parents from the scene with nobody getting written up officially. ...and probably been glad the sober teen was there to get her friend and allowed them to be on their way.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

And if this wasn't on school grounds or during school hours (when they were supposed to be in school) then why is the school involved anyway?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if this wasn't on school grounds or during school hours (when they were supposed to be in school) then why is the school involved anyway?
    Because the school wanted to stick their nose in it.

Keep in mind, it wasn't all that long ago that a school district in Philly thought it would be a GREAT idea to issue laptops to students that could have the webcams remotely turned on, even while at home. Of course, it didn't get out until they tried to discipline a kid for something they did at home because they watched it on the webcam.

The results there were pretty predictable.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

According to the police she did not drink or possess alcohol and was only there to take her friend home. How can the zero tolerance policy even be applied to her? Schools need to fight battles worth fighting, not make up ones and waste resources defending them and alienating students and parents who are positives for the school.

I'm sending this e-mail tot he school's principal:

Good evening,

On behalf of teachers, administrators and public schools in general, I would like to thank you and your district for making public schools look dumb again. By suspending an honor student for breaking a policy even the police stated she did not, you have made the institution look bad in a time where public schools are under more scrutiny than ever.

I do hope your district comes to its senses and reverses course before this gets any worse. Do you not have other more important battles to fight where you have to create one? If not, your district and town must be an educational utopia.

Ken Anstead
    Last edited by SycamoreKen; 10-15-2013 at 11:04 PM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Common sense ain't so common anymore.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

My nature is to always side with the schools. But in this case I cannot find a reason to.

I would bet it doesn't stand though

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ANother example of policy over people.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd love to see them try and suspend a student for being around their parent, while their parent is drinking. "You dad has beer in the fridge? You're gone."
    ďJust because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.Ē ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    My nature is to always side with the schools. But in this case I cannot find a reason to.

No matter what happens, if the do reverse themselves it will be like putting toothpaste back in the tube.

------

-John Wooden

When I was in high school I had to sign a contract before every athletic season saying I understood that I could (and would) be punished if I was in trouble with the law outside of school.

I feel like this was more of a "safety" net, though I do not remember what happened to my classmates who counterfeited $20 bills and got caught by the USSS. I want to say our baseball players may have been suspended from the team, but I am not 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

The courts said they did not have jurisdiction. Who else is going to over turn this stupid decision?

No matter what happens, if the do reverse themselves it will be like putting toothpaste back in the tube.
    To be fair this girl got all kinds of publicity, and lets be real. I bet plenty of colleges will make her an offer.

You are the girl who is a captain, made a good and smart decision, and showed maturity way beyond your years. Here is a scholarship for you to play for us.....

Not the right way to get it though. She was probably going to get a free ride athletics or not. To put someone through this kind of stress and turmoil for no reason is plain wrong.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post: