36 58.06%
  • Neither, play Copeland at the 3

10 16.13%
  • Neither, play George Hill at the 2

3 4.84%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th Wing - Solo or Pulp?

Default 4th Wing - Solo or Pulp?

Who should get wing minutes after Paul George, Danny, and Stephenson?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: 4th Wing - Solo or Pulp?

It looks like it will come down to defense, an area in which Hill seems to have the advantage. However, I think this debate will rage on throughout the season and there will be no clear-cut answer. If Danny ends up starting with Lance in the second unit, Frank may opt for a taller wing. It might come down to something that simple rather than a favorability for one player over another. I'm looking forward to the minutes battle this year, in several spots.

(Cocky suggestion: The main minutes battle I'm looking forward to is Paul versus everyone else during the All Star game.)

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It looks like it will come down to defense, an area in which Hill seems to have the advantage. However, I think this debate will rage on throughout the season and there will be no clear-cut answer. If Danny ends up starting with Lance in the second unit, Frank may opt for a taller wing. It might come down to something that simple rather than a favorability for one player over another. I'm looking forward to the minutes battle this year, in several spots.

(Cocky suggestion: The main minutes battle I'm looking forward to is Paul versus everyone else during the All Star game.)
    Agreed, like I said in another thread who gets more minutes in any particular game will probably come down to if we need points or defense. Right Solo has shown offensively, which is nothing, so far lends me to think OJ is overall the better player right now, that could change as the season goes on, as he is good on offense and solid defensively. I really hope Solo doesn't get the minutes solely based on height if Lance comes off the bench as I think Lance is more than capable of guarding most SFs, especially back-up SFs.

I don't know, but I do know I hate the nickname Pulp

5. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

By the end of the season and into the playoffs I don't want to see them on the floor. Play them in the get go. Which of these two will be the first wing off of the bench next year?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I voted for Johnson. I really like what he offers as the 4th choice wing. He has a good shot and also showed at times last season he can drive to the basket with success. Solo might turn out to be the better player overall and I think there is a very good chance of that happening but until then, I prefer Pulp all the way.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Ride hot hand and/or matchups if/when you get to this point.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

9. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Mood

PULP

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

I'd take Johnson right now. Really what we're talking about whether it's the 4th. wing or 4th. big is very minimal, we're just seeing it inflated at this point. Both our 2/3 and our 4/5 rotations will take up 90+ % of the minutes. That leaves less then 10 minutes to split between Ian and Copeland and less then 10 minutes to split between OJ and Hill.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

PD prediction. OJ will not get the burn that you all think he should get and it will be a complaint ala Pendergraph/McRoberts/AJ Price.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Depends on what we need that night.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Depends on what we need that night.
    I agree and won't feel that strongly on it no matter what Vogel decides.

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

OJ has already impressed me, I can't say that about Solo yet.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

Solomon's looked pretty bad in the preseason while OJ has looked good, but I have to take Solomon. He's really going to surprise some people once he adjusts to the speed of the NBA. He's going to be one of my favorites for sure.

OJ's looking really good though. I hope he has a future in the NBA somewhere.

I love what Solo brings, but OJ looks to the better shooter and scorer in general, and I think we need that off the bench more than Solo's versatility. I'm giddy about the future for both though

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Solomon's looked pretty bad in the preseason while OJ has looked good, but I have to take Solomon. He's really going to surprise some people once he adjusts to the speed of the NBA. He's going to be one of my favorites for sure.

OJ's looking really good though. I hope he has a future in the NBA somewhere.
    With the likelihood that we lose one of Lance or Granger after the season, hopefully that future is here as the wing scorer off the bench.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    PD prediction. OJ will not get the burn that you all think he should get and it will be a complaint ala Pendergraph/McRoberts/AJ Price.
    I hope so, but I don't expect it to be as big of a deal as those three unless Solo is really laying eggs out there because the minutes he will be fighting for will be minimal.

I know I will probably be taking a lot of flak for this, but if I am completely honest I think Orlando will prove to be a better scorer than Lance. I'm not convinced that Lance can be the scorer off the bench most people think he is, at least not in the half court. I do think Lance + Orlando + Watson can be a deadly combination off the bench in a more fast paced offense.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerGranger3pointranger View Post
    OJ has already impressed me, I can't say that about Solo yet.
    Well Solomon Hill hasn't played in a real game yet.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, OJ has the Brandon Jennings mohawk, so.
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

26. The Following User Says Thank You to RobRoy317 For This Useful Post:

It's tough. I think both are going to be solid NBA players. Which is really cool, because normally when we have debates like this, it's between two garbage players. As someone mentioned above - Pendy, AJ, there were a few other guys in the past that we talked about. But they weren't good.

OJ can shoot. Really well, he looks like he should be a solid defender. Solo looks like the SG version of Kawhi Leonard. Should be fun to see both of them working themselves into contributors.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly, I never understood the OJ love on here. I think Solo wins it out because he can play the 2/3 and is a better defender.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

I'm just happy that both look like good players, and I think when Danny moves on this summer, we can reasonably deal with it by promoting these two up a spot in the rotation (from 4th and 5th wing to 3rd and 4th).

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I hope so, but I don't expect it to be as big of a deal as those three unless Solo is really laying eggs out there because the minutes he will be fighting for will be minimal.

I know I will probably be taking a lot of flak for this, but if I am completely honest I think Orlando will prove to be a better scorer than Lance. I'm not convinced that Lance can be the scorer off the bench most people think he is, at least not in the half court. I do think Lance + Orlando + Watson can be a deadly combination off the bench in a more fast paced offense.
    People don't value Lance so much for his scoring by itself. It's everything else he can do in addition to that.

I wouldn't be opposed to starting Solomon Hill in the SG spot and moving DG and Lance to the bench. I know some are going to argue this but I'll explain why. We have four great starters and there are only so many shot attempts. Allow Hill to focus on defense and contribute what he can offensively. I think Lance isn't aggressive enough offensively because he knows he is the last resort on offense. Having Lance, DG and Scola in your second unit isn't a bad thing. Again this would allow Ian to focus on defense and garbage points if Vogel insists on playing the two five man squads again this season. Plus Watson has played well so far. This allows Danny and Lance both plenty of scoring opportunities and I believe Lance will become more aggressive offensively. It's just a thought. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    People don't value Lance so much for his scoring by itself. It's everything else he can do in addition to that.
    I am well aware of this.