Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 10/13/2013 Official Live Gamethread Preseason Indiana vs Houston in TaiPei, Taiwan

Sports Logo

Default Re: 10/13/2013 Official Live Gamethread Preseason Indiana vs Houston in TaiPei, Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately, the problem that we had last season is still there. The Starters ( including Granger and/or Lance ) was able to shutdown the other Team and proved to be the better Starting 5 then thr other Team. Whereas when the 2nd unit started to filter in, the Team would slowly falter and stop scoring and not able to effectively slow the other Team down.
    The starters didn't shutdown the other team and they didn't prove to be the better starting 5. They only had an outburst in the 3rd quarter that was quite similar to the Bulls game. Other than that timeframe they didn't put forth enough effort on rebounding and defending. The starters are exhibiting good signs but they're mostly coasting so far.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: 10/13/2013 Official Live Gamethread Preseason Indiana vs Houston in TaiPei, Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Copeland isn't any worse than West on the defensive end in my opinion. I'm really looking forward to seeing him get regular minutes in the rotation and see how he settles in.
    West was good defensively last year. If Cope manages to be like West defensively then that would be amazing.

At the moment, though, there is a huge difference between West's and Cope's defense. And that difference is pretty simple. West knows exactly where to be defensively. He knows where he has to be, he knows when to help and when not to help, he knows the tendencies of several players of the league and he is also able to read the opponent's offense so he can predict the next move. Copeland has no idea about any of that. And that makes sense since he does not our defensive system yet. It is pretty obvious that he has to hit the tape hard in order to improve defensively. He is still a little slow but he moved better today, imo.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

J7F

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    How about that Motiejunas, that guy is like a bigger tougher version of Ryan Anderson. I've been really impressed with him.
    I will be honest here. I didn't like Motiejunas as a prospect. He was very inconsistent (had a 22 rebound game the one day, and a 3 rebound game the other), he was weird offensively (good 3 point shooter that shot below 50% in FTs) and generally looked like a risk. But I have been impressed with him as well. He seemed improved defensively and he can really be useful for the Rockets this year.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry, I haven't read the thread so someone might've mentioned it already but what was the play the Pacers kept running during the 3rd Quarter that lead to all those open 3 point shots? Someone from the Rockets kept yelling, "Same play!" but the Pacers kept burning them on it. Their ball movement was so much better in that set than in anything else they tried to run.

The biggest positive from that uneven game - Danny Granger looked great! He was running harder on both ends of the court. His defense was much better and is getting better from one game to the next. He was able to slow down Chandler Parsons in the 3rd and that was a big reason they were able to get back into the game. The 9 rebounds were also excellent to see. He was the only player on the team hustling for rebounds all game.

It is completely evident that Paul George spent a lot of time working on his jumper this summer. Every now and then he'll launch a flat line-drive shot towards the rim but for the most part he's putting a higher arc on his shot and his release is consistently quicker. He could've easily had 25 points yesterday if the refs had given him the same benefit of the doubt they gave James Harden and Lin. He's defense during the 3rd quarter was fantastic as well. I'm excited to see how well he plays during the regular season but I really think he'll reach full-blown Superstar status after this season.

My biggest concern right now is Roy Hibbert. His defense was better this game and the 4 blocks were each greatly timed. He's not getting any offensive rebounds which is a major part of his game and the Pacers success. The bad thing is he's getting out worked and out muscled for boards so far. He's so inconsistent right now on the offensive side of the floor but I think he'll round into form eventually.

I'm glad this is just the preseason and it doesn't really mean anything but the Pacers and Bucks are the only 0-3 teams in the league. I'm just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Ok, the third quarter is starting and I'm watching specifically to see Danny's defense against Parsons. Other than biting on a couple of pump fakes, I don't remember any errors from Danny on D from when I watched this morning, but for this quarter I'll try to focus on it.

At 9:29 it looks like Danny might have been about to get beat on the drive by Parsons, but Dwight was called for the offensive foul.

Next defensive play, Danny blocks Dwight's shot out of bounds.

Next defensive play, Danny grabs the loose ball and goes towards the other end; gets fouled by Harden.

7:05 Danny gets rubbed off a screen by Parsons, but Parsons throws to Harden, who misses the three.

6:43 Danny bites on pump fake, but Parsons immediately called for traveling. Hard to tell if that's a mistake by Danny or if the bite was justified due to Parsons weird footwork.

5:17 Danny steals ball from Dwight.

Danny was easily the second best Pacers player that game. When he got that steal in the 1st quarter and drove it all the way to the hoop for the layup, I could tell that he was finally over the fear of his knee. He was running harder on both ends of the court and he looked much more confident.

I think it would be much better for Danny to start and Lance to come off the bench. Danny is such a better shooter than Lance and a threat when he's moving off screens. The defense has to focus on him more than they do Lance in the half-court so it opens up the floor more for PG, Hill, and West. I also think that Lance looked more confident out there on the floor with the reserves.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rebounding will come around. I really can't envision going from the best rebounding team and just dropping off a cliff. A major problem for defensive rebounds is the defense has been scrambling in their rotations. Really hard to box out and go get the ball, when you're not matched up with a player and you're in the middle of trying to close out somewhere. The pieces started to fit together there in the 3rd quarter. The Pacers were outrebounded by like 9 in the first quarter alone, and it was just as bad in the second, but ended up "only" getting outrebounded by 11 for the game. Pacers outrebounded the rockets 13-8 in the 3rd quarter.

Danny's play is still encouraging. He played 30 minutes, and was left on the floor to close out the game, showing that neither he nor the coaching staff are monitoring minutes and aren't using kid gloves with his knees. If there was any concern, they would have had him on the bench icing his knees, but instead he's out there trying to get back in the flow with the camp invitees.

Paul is going to be a beast this year. He's getting to where he wants to on the floor, instead of just simply reacting to how the defense is playing him.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Does anyone have a clip of that Granger block on Dwight??

I didn't get to see the game, I'd love to see that highlight. Hate how on NBA.com, they don't show certain highlights depending on who the person is..
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Just watching this game now... man they weren't trying to protect Jeremy Lin in this game or anything were they?
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

All I learned from the game is that Vogel is hiding his intentions, and showing them very very sporadic, preferably in the 3rd quarter.
    It is clear now that DG will be the starter over Lance, and if that 3rd quarter is anything to go by, well deserved.
    No one will have any defence capable of stopping us with that line-up

Lance is so much better suited to come of the bench, inject energy, be a steam train and go for it than be a real threat and making opponents force on defence compared to Danny.

I firmly believe Vogel is not near on showing what he has in mind, and he has darn sure worked it out in his head, as is the same for the 13-15 spots as well

I liked what I saw, oh and Roy? he's twice as good as he was last year, he's just not yet scrambling or "fighting " for rebounds like he will be, but he ate "Superman" alive in this game.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

I will say that I've neglected to praise Roy for some of his on-ball blocks on Dwight the last two games. They were the kind where I at first thought he was fouling, but sure enough the replay showed just sweet blocks.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy was able to push Dwight off the spot both offensively and defensively, which he's never been able to do on either end let alone both. Dwight will be able to put the ball on teh floor and put his shoulder into 90+% of defenders and get them to budge, but Roy was having none of it. Roy just keeps getting better and better. Really hard to fathom just how bad he was when he came into the league, it's almost 180 degrees different now.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Does anyone have a clip of that Granger block on Dwight??
    Nope. It was a good solid block, but it wasn't particularly showy or highlight-worthy. Lin's block of Granger was the type of thing I'd expect to see on SportsCenter.

Actually it seems like Danny's been getting blocked more this year. I don't think it's an elevation thing, as several of them were before he even got off the ground. Rather, each one was by a help defender. Anybody have a theory as to why that would be?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Nope. It was a good solid block, but it wasn't particularly showy or highlight-worthy. Lin's block of Granger was the type of thing I'd expect to see on SportsCenter.

Actually it seems like Danny's been getting blocked more this year. I don't think it's an elevation thing, as several of them were before he even got off the ground. Rather, each one was by a help defender. Anybody have a theory as to why that would be?
    I think it is probably just needing to get his timing back. I have noticed that teams still key in on him as if he was never injured, especially when he is in the post.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post: