Page 86 of 248 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boston fans would have been absolute morons to not give Glenn a standing o. He helped restore a dormant franchise to its former glory with the help of Truth, Ticket, Shuttlesworth, and 9. He might have left, but the Boston fans can never forget the fact that the most recent banner was one by Glenn and his crew. You can't take away those memories. Boston fans will always appreciate what he did.
    Didn't they boo Ray Allen when he returned?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Correct me if I'm wrong but last season, even with Nash in, didn't Kobe initiate many times the offense by carrying the ball to the other halfcourt? Was so weird watching Nash without the ball and partly been marginalized.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Didn't they boo Ray Allen when he returned?
    Doc Rivers didn't take a worse contract with a perceived rival. Celtics fans hate Ray Allen now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Doc Rivers didn't take a worse contract with a perceived rival. Celtics fans hate Ray Allen now.
    Nope, he just admittingly quit on the franchise. If it's okay for Doc to jump ship, then it's okay for Ray.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

if Ray went to the Cavs, nobody in Boston would care.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I wouldn't have boo'd Doc, because I don't boo anyone, I just dont' think quitters deserve respect and admiration.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Nope, he just admittingly quit on the franchise. If it's okay for Doc to jump ship, then it's okay for Ray.

Boston sports fans are only happy when they're unhappy. They pick certain players to develop vendettas against when they feel that player has betrayed The Hub. The borderline creepy hatred of Roger Clemens is a perfect example. He won three CY Youngs there and is one of the few pitchers to ever win an MVP, yet Beantown fans act as if he is Satan himself.

My guess is that they view the Doc/Ray thing this way: Ray left for less cash to sign with the team who had just eliminated the Celtics in a 7 game ECF series. When Ray left, Boston fans still felt that the Celtics were obvious contenders, so it stung to see him take less money to play for the team that eliminated them. But when Doc left a year later, it was clear that the team was in full rebuild mode. Plus he went to an organization on the opposite coast. I agree that quitting is quitting, but that's probably how Boston fans would rationalize it.

I agree, booing Ray Allen is dumb. That would be like booing David West in a couple of years if he decided to go somewhere else. Shuttlesworth helped bring that organization out of the miserable gutter it was in and was a huge reason they were so successful from 07-12.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't have boo'd Doc, because I don't boo anyone, I just dont' think quitters deserve respect and admiration.
    I find it hard to associate "quitter" with someone who already coached championship teams in Boston.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I find it hard to associate "quitter" with someone who already coached championship teams in Boston.
    Doc himself admits that he "walked away" from Boston.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...boston-celtics

The real issue I have, which I mentioned on the last page, was how insulted he pretended to be when Simmons accused him of it last year. He feigned outrage and moral superiority, only to admit it this week. If you wanted to leave because there were greener pasturers, just own it.

Also about Ray Allen. Only one of them threatened to retire, to get out of their contract, and get their way. Ray wasn't out there telling people he'd live up to his Boston contract, while trying to squirm out of it privately.

Doc himself admits that he "walked away" from Boston.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...boston-celtics

The real issue I have, which I mentioned on the last page, was how insulted he pretended to be when Simmons accused him of it last year. He feigned outrage and moral superiority, only to admit it this week. If you wanted to leave because there were greener pasturers, just own it.
    I agree with that part, I guess I just wouldn't use "quitter" as the way to describe it. My phrasing would probably involve references to the product that male bovines create from alfalfa and water.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also about Ray Allen. Only one of them threatened to retire, to get out of their contract, and get their way. Ray wasn't out there telling people he'd live up to his Boston contract, while trying to squirm out of it privately.
    retiring means your team doesn't have to pay you anymore. That is not a threat.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    retiring means your team doesn't have to pay you anymore. That is not a threat.....
    Actually, for a player I think that is not correct. Except for a medical retirement, usually the salary is still on the books. I know Reggie still counted against the cap for us until we amnestied him.
    BillS

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

It's still a threat. He's saying that they'll either let him out of his contract, or he'll get out of his contract. The message is, he gets his way regardless of what happens.

if Ray went to the Cavs, nobody in Boston would care.
    That's the thing he would still have left the Celtics so how was he worse than Doc and he's a player I mean while coaches get fired players get traded/cut at a moment's notice so even though I never cared for Ray Ray I don't blame him for moving on to something better before he got traded like KG/Pierce did.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think there needs to be another animated gif thread for this season, obviously following the rules of last season, I thought It was funny.

"It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

^ The best part of that is watching the people in the crowd stand up because they think they're about to see a Jordan-esque move.

Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose will appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live December 18th

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...around-the-nba

So I guess a Ryan Anderson + Aminu for Z-Bo might be a thing. Would suck for Zach as it seems like he really likes Memphis, I always thought of the Grizzlies as Pacers West, but they don't seem to want to be keeping the core; they're more concerned about the tax than the Pacers.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post

So I guess a Ryan Anderson + Aminu for Z-Bo might be a thing. Would suck for Zach as it seems like he really likes Memphis, I always thought of the Grizzlies as Pacers West, but they don't seem to want to be keeping the core; they're more concerned about the tax than the Pacers.
    They are concerned about the tax and statistics, maybe Zbo stats are not that good anymore.

I don't understand? What constitutes quitting? I am asking because many players jump teams at the end of their contracts, even though their teams still want them. And, even Reggie retired (quit) with a year left on his contract, due to being tired of the drama on the team, even though the Pacers were still hoping Reggie would continue.

Coaches get out of contracts early, but then teams fire coaches before the end of their contracts.

So, I guess that's why I ask, "What constitutes quitting?"

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

That'd be dumb for the Pelicans. They're still a couple years away and ZBo's on his last legs.

Sports Logo

The wierd thing is that the Grizzlies are over the Salary Cap...but are under the LT for the next 2 seasons. I get that they want to save $$$ but trading him due to $$$ reasons doesn't appear to make sense.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

After the Coaching change in the offseason....they no longer are as defensive minded as they used to be.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

I think there needs to be another animated gif thread for this season, obviously following the rules of last season, I thought It was funny.

What's funny is that the Lakers signed SwaggyP for 2 seasons ( despite it being some $1.2 mil a year cnotract ) and they have as talented ( if not smarter ) Wing Players like Xavier Henry and Wesley Johnson on tap just for this season.