Page 76 of 248 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still be on fox sports right?
    I assume so.

It also won the fan vote, not one it. Though there was ever only one choice.

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Still be on fox sports right?
    But it won't be on League Pass. So everyone that has LP but not NBATV is screwed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

An update on exactly how the Pistons are suddenly succeeding defensively with the big frontline when they failed miserably the first couple of weeks:

As P4ever said earlier, replacing Billups with KCP has tied everything together. He's been exceptional defensively.

http://nba.si.com/2013/12/03/the-fun...ns-frontcourt/

In the 10 games since the Pistons switched lineups and began dialing up the pressure on the perimeter, Drummond, Smith and Monroe have averaged a combined 5.5 steals per game. Detroit has cuffed its opponents by creating turnovers: Of the 25 lineups that have played 100 minutes or more this season, Detroit’s new starting unit ranks third in points allowed per possession. With that group turning opponents over on 31.2 percent of their possessions, avoiding fouls at a remarkable rate and locking down the defensive glass to avoid giving away extra scoring opportunities, the Pistons have seemingly found a way to survive their own over-helping and inconsistent rotations. They’ve leaned into the gambling tendencies of players like Smith and Jennings, in a sense, and had enough success in doing so to both undercut opponents and fuel their own fast breaks.
    I'm not naive enough to believe this is a lock to continue over the next 63 games, but this is fascinating enough that I'm really interested in how this new approach plays out.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-06-2013 at 03:51 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    They roll 3 and 4 guards out there. Why is this a shock?
    It's not a shock that they got ourebounded. That's expected most of the time. I was just kinda shocked by how few their total rebounds were and the fact that their assists were higher than their rebounds at the time. That doesn't happen very often after 3 quarters.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Miami is shooting 28% from the arc. But it's an evolved 28%.....
    You're obviously joking here, but it is an evolved offense. Shooting poorly in one game doesn't somehow negate that. I think the back to back titles proves that they're on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    You're obviously joking here, but it is an evolved offense. Shooting poorly in one game doesn't somehow negate that. I think the back to back titles proves that they're on to something.
    It proves that they have LeBron James on their team. When they have a cold shooting night, they're as helpless as any other guard-heavy offense.

Sticking your center above the key and your PF in the corner does not constitute genius. It means you must have an all-world player to make up for the fact you're playing midget-ball.

Replace LeBron with any other player in the NBA and tell me how evolved their offense is.

I'm not saying Miami isn't a great team. I'm saying there's nothing special about their system if only one human being on the planet is qualified to operate it.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-06-2013 at 04:07 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Clearly...it is possible. But doesn't Miami and the Spurs routinely rank very low in rebounding each season?
    The Spurs not so much. They were 8th in 11-12, 16th in 12-13 and 19th this season. I have to note that I'm talking about Total Rebounding % (Rebound Rate) here.

The main reason for this for the Spurs is that they have completely forsaken offensive rebounding (24th, 29th and 28th respectively). Defensive Rebounding % wise they tend to rank very well (1st in 11-12, 6th in 12-13 and 2nd this season). It seems obvious to me that the Spurs can rebound but they elect to abandon the offensive glass in favor of transition defense.

The Heat are different. Their best performance was 10th in Defensive Rebounding % in 11-12 and everything else is either very close to #20 or significantly below that.

In any case, they managed to reach 27 boards tonight so they didn't set any records (24 is the lowest recorded number for a team as far I know).

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

It proves that they have LeBron James on their team. When they have a cold shooting night, they're as helpless as any other guard-heavy offense.

Sticking your center above the key and your PF in the corner does not constitute genius. It means you must have an all-world player to make up for the fact you're playing midget-ball.

Replace LeBron with any other player in the NBA and tell me how evolved their offense is.
    Replace Robert DeNiro with any other actor and Raging Bull probably isn't all that great a movie. The Heat maximize LeBron's talent, which is why they succeed. If they had another player the system would be built differently.

Is the all world player making up for midget ball or is the midget ball unlocking aspects of his game that weren't utilized properly before?

Sports Logo

An update on exactly how the Pistons are suddenly succeeding defensively with the big frontline when they failed miserably the first couple of weeks:

As P4ever said earlier, replacing Billups with KCP has tied everything together. He's been exceptional defensively.

http://nba.si.com/2013/12/03/the-fun...ns-frontcourt/

I'm not naive enough to believe this is a lock to continue over the next 63 games, but this is fascinating enough that I'm really interested in how this new approach plays out.
    That's nice to see because Detroit's defensive struggled didn't make much sense. With the exception of Jennings, everyone else in that starting line-up is plus defender.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

The Heat can send whomever out there in whatever system. LeBron is LeBron. If he had improved his outside shooting and his post game in cleveland, Mike Brown would be running the most evolved offense right now too.

He's got better individual talent in Miami, but everything still runs through him. That isn't a special offense, it's a special player.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

The Heat can send whomever out there in whatever system. LeBron is LeBron. If he had improved his outside shooting and his post game in cleveland, Mike Brown would be running the most evolved offense right now too.
    Mike Brown barely ran a system, so I doubt he'd be running this one. LeBron's outside shooting and post game would have improved in Cleveland, just not at this rate. Coaching and development are part of the system as well, and getting players to buy into the game plan. What struck me in that article you linked to was how much LeBron sounded like Eric Spoelstra. He has completely bought into what they're doing. Cleveland had no system to buy into.

He's got better individual talent in Miami, but everything still runs through him. That isn't a special offense, it's a special player.
    It's a special offense that utilizes the talents of a special player. Offensive system's don't have to be easily replicable to be great.

Btw, love the "Slam Dunk" avatar.

Btw, love the "Slam Dunk" avatar.
    I consider it the best piece of basketball fiction ever told. It's a treasure trove of early-90's NBA references. Almost every player is based off of somebody.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-06-2013 at 04:59 AM.

The Jason Kidd coaching experiment has been a complete disaster. I cannot think of a worse coaching job I have seen, except maybe Tarkanian when he coached the Spurs for a month. I know the Nets have injuries, but if you watch the team they do have you can see they have not been coached, there is no plan there. When you look at what a number of the other first time head coaches are doing, the difference is significant. Watch the Suns, Bobcats, and Sixers and you can see teams without much talent, but teams that are well coached, and all coached by first timers. I think so far the job that Clifford is doing with the Bobcats is the best of the first timers.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-06-2013 at 09:42 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

^^ They should can Kidd and hire Frank. THAT would be sweet justice.

............ how much LeBron sounded like Eric Spoelstra.............
    Or maybe how much Spoelstra sounds like LeBron ??

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike Brown barely ran a system, so I doubt he'd be running this one. LeBron's outside shooting and post game would have improved in Cleveland, just not at this rate. Coaching and development are part of the system as well, and getting players to buy into the game plan. What struck me in that article you linked to was how much LeBron sounded like Eric Spoelstra. He has completely bought into what they're doing. Cleveland had no system to buy into. It's a special offense that utilizes the talents of a special player. Offensive system's don't have to be easily replicable to be great.
    Their "system" involves basic concepts is what Kstat is trying to convey. They spread the floor with shooters (1-5) who sit in their designated spots as Lebron or Wade drive the ball to the hoop. If they're double teamed, they kick it to the shooter. I agree with Kstat though, had Lebron been this good in CLE he definitely would have won a ring or two as well.

Their defense is a very good defensive system for their personnel however. Even Ray Allen tries to play good pressure defense from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    If the Heat keep playing like this, next Tuesday is going to be SO FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The more they lose, the more desperate they will be to defeat us. I doubt Wade misses the game against the Pacers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The Jason Kidd coaching experiment has been a complete disaster. I cannot think of a worse coaching job I have seen, except maybe Tarkanian when he coached the Spurs for a month. I know the Nets have injuries, but if you watch the team they do have you can see they have not been coached, there is no plan there. When you look at what a number of the other first time head coaches are doing, the difference is significant. Watch the Suns, Bobcats, and Sixers and you can see teams without much talent, but teams that are well coached, hbut first time head coaches.
    Give him time...said all the EC head coaches.

Seriously, for the best part they show they have absolutely no plan on offense. Just some guys going one on one against their opponents.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Isn't this the first time it was two straight games?
    11/16 he only logged 27 minutes (4 pts) then he missed 11/19 against the Hawks and 11/20 against the Magic.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

"My teammates stepped up and allowed me to lead them" Carmello Anthony

What a douche...

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Give him time...said all the EC head coaches.

Seriously, for the best part they show they have absolutely no plan on offense. Just some guys going one on one against their opponents.
    I watched the NBATV real training camp on the Nets and Frank did all the coaching. Kidd hardly said anything for 2 hours. And if you watched some of their early season games, Kidd was sitting on the bench and Frank was up doing the coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Ugh, Wade is sitting out again tonight. I was an idiot to draft this clown on my fantasy team.
    Wade should be a real concern for Miami right now, it's stuff like this that trips up teams looking for that 3peat. I don't know that I buy the "illness" story from last night. I keep wondering how much swelling his knee is displaying.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Miami is shooting 28% from the arc. But it's an evolved 28%.....
    Yeah, I wonder if Lebron will ever get the credit he deserves for their past two titles. When you really take a second and look at that roster it is nausea inducing. Like if you swapped Lebron for Paul wtih that roster, I don't know that they even get over 45 wins, and I like Paul a lot, but Lebron just may be that good.

That "something" is Lebron.