Page 6 of 248 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

  1. #126
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,375

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So Can Irving and Waiters, which is why they passed on Vic.
    Orlando would laugh if Cleveland offered a Waiters for Okadipo trade. You don't draft for need when picking 1 overall. Ask Portland
    David "And One" West

  2. #127
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,123

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    For those who don't have the luxury of NBATV, Steve Kerr shared Toni Kukoc's pregame ritual on Open Court last night:

    http://deadspin.com/steve-kerrs-stor...-is-1450650848
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  3. #128

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Orlando would laugh if Cleveland offered a Waiters for Okadipo trade. You don't draft for need when picking 1 overall. Ask Portland
    Kind of hard to argue against Cleveland in this case though, Irving is just as dynamic as Okadipo. His talents would have been a waste on that team behind Waiters and Irving.

  4. #129

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kind of hard to argue against Cleveland in this case though, Irving is just as dynamic as Okadipo. His talents would have been a waste on that team behind Waiters and Irving.
    You mean Waiters? And I disagree that Oladipo would have been wasted in Cleveland; Irving, Oladipo, and Waiters would have been a dynamic 3-guard rotation. Even if it doesn't work, they could trade either Vic or Waiters for another need.

  5. #130
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,794

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Orlando would laugh if Cleveland offered a Waiters for Okadipo trade. You don't draft for need when picking 1 overall. Ask Portland
    Yeah, because Portland passed on Durant because of James Jones and Travis Outlaw.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  7. #131
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,794

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean Waiters? And I disagree that Oladipo would have been wasted in Cleveland; Irving, Oladipo, and Waiters would have been a dynamic 3-guard rotation. Even if it doesn't work, they could trade either Vic or Waiters for another need.
    Why would they have to trade for another need, when they had the ability to simply draft for another need?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  9. #132
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,375

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kind of hard to argue against Cleveland in this case though, Irving is just as dynamic as Okadipo. His talents would have been a waste on that team behind Waiters and Irving.
    Not a waste. You take the best player available at 1. Always. No exceptions, certainly not for Dion Waiters. Just my opinion that Oladipo is better than Bennett. If you want to wait until the season starts, that's totally understandable.
    David "And One" West

  10. #133

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would they have to trade for another need, when they had the ability to simply draft for another need?
    Trading for another need would be a worst-case scenario. And anyway, the "need" they drafted is someone who plays the same position as one of their core guys (Thompson), so drafting Oladipo wouldn't have been any different than what they already did.

  11. #134
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,441

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a waste. You take the best player available at 1. Always. No exceptions, certainly not for Dion Waiters. Just my opinion that Oladipo is better than Bennett. If you want to wait until the season starts, that's totally understandable.
    Maybe they didn't think Oladipo was better than Bennett? Imagine David West with Bennett's athleticism. I think that's a real possibility for him.

  12. #135
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,794

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Trading for another need would be a worst-case scenario. And anyway, the "need" they drafted is someone who plays the same position as one of their core guys (Thompson), so drafting Oladipo wouldn't have been any different than what they already did.
    They got him so they could try and move him to the 3, a position they need to fill.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  14. #136
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,510

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a waste. You take the best player available at 1. Always. No exceptions, certainly not for Dion Waiters. Just my opinion that Oladipo is better than Bennett. If you want to wait until the season starts, that's totally understandable.
    He's better defensively. Scoring the ball there is no comparison.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  15. #137
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,375

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, because Portland passed on Durant because of James Jones and Travis Outlaw.
    Portland picked Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan because they needed a center. Wasn't referring to the 07 draft
    David "And One" West

  16. #138
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,510

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Portland picked Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan because they needed a center. Wasn't referring to the 07 draft
    Houston passed on Jordan for a center too.

    The hindsight lesson is don't pass up future hall of famers for average players.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  17. #139

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They got him so they could try and move him to the 3, a position they need to fill.
    Is that why they have no plans of playing him there?

  18. #140

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown


  19. #141
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,794

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that why they have no plans of playing him there?
    Those last two words in the title are pretty important, don't ya think?

    Mike Brown: Anthony Bennett is 'strictly a 4,' for now
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  20. #142

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those last two words in the title are pretty important, don't ya think?
    You said the reason they drafted Bennett was to move him to the 3. If you read the whole thing, it's pretty clear that Cleveland envisions him as Kevin Love-type of 4.
    Last edited by Doddage; 10-23-2013 at 01:43 PM.

  21. #143
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,794

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You said the reason they drafted Bennett was to move him to the 3. If you read the whole thing, it's pretty clear that Cleveland envisions him as Kevin Love-type of 4 "for now."
    Fixed.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  22. #144

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fixed.
    Brown says that Bennett could possibly be used as a small forward at some point in the future, but that would happen "way, way, way down the road."
    If it's only a possibility that he'll play the 3 in the distant future, meaning it may never even happen at all, it doesn't sound like the main reason they drafted him was to play the 3. Which makes sense, because Bennett is absolutely a 4 in today's league.

  23. #145
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,794

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    When he was drafted, it was because they thought he could play both the 3 and the 4. Brown's quote about it not happening yet, or even at all indicates that they were looking at that direction. Whether or not it actually happens doesn't invalidate the point that he was selected with the thought that he could.

    You're not saying anything that actually refutes what I said. I can dig up article after article talking about them looking at him as a tweener, if I really need to.

    EDIT: If it wasn't a question whether or not he'd play the 3, then there would be no reason to tell people you're not going to. The simple fact that it had to be answered shows that was a possibility.
    Last edited by Since86; 10-23-2013 at 03:27 PM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  25. #146

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    You haven't provided any support to your claim that he was picked with the intention of moving him to the 3. That was your original point and the one being argued. Brown saying it's possible in the future doesn't necessarily indicate the Cavs were looking in that direction, but rather more so addresses speculation amongst the public/media regarding what position Bennett will be played at.

  26. #147
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,794

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Yeah, you're right. Brown saying they have no intentions of playing him at the 3 "for now" means they aren't even considering the possibility. I don't know how I screwed that up. We can move along now.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  27. #148
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,008
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    I am pretty sure they drafted Bennett because he was the best player available. And just because Oladipo is playing well in the preseason does not mean that he was the best player 3 years from now.

    Bennett has the potential to be an All-Star and by the time Tristan can he will be up for a contract. One that the Cavs will not pay if they are getting Lebron.

    Kyrie/Waiters/Lebron/Bennett could be a starting lineup on this team.

  28. #149
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,371

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Here's another Pacers article from NBA.com, this one talking about our defense and bench production last season. This piece is part of the website's One Team, One Stat series and is written by John Schuhmann.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 10-23-2013 at 04:59 PM.

  29. #150
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,796
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am pretty sure they drafted Bennett because he was the best player available. And just because Oladipo is playing well in the preseason does not mean that he was the best player 3 years from now.

    Bennett has the potential to be an All-Star and by the time Tristan can he will be up for a contract. One that the Cavs will not pay if they are getting Lebron.

    Kyrie/Waiters/Lebron/Bennett could be a starting lineup on this team.
    You left out a key point. He was the bpa in their opinion and that is why he was the right pick for them. Judging a players future prognosis on is numbers as a rookie is insane. Vic is my pick for rookie of the year but only based on the opportunity he will get. If I was drafting for the Cavs I would of taken Ben McLemore because he was the bpa imo. But Ben wouldn't be the best player this year he needs time. You are drafting a guy in the top 5 for the next 10 years not the rookie year when the team is still going to be bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •