Page 40 of 248 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Banned

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If study made you a great point guard Brandon Knight would be an all-star.

Rose also isn't going to hone his PG skills by practicing by himself for a year.
    So is Olayuwon stealing money from people by teaching them fundamentals? they go to his place to study his game right? that's what I mean by studding.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    So is Olayuwon stealing money from people by teaching them fundamentals? they go to his place to study his game right? that's what I mean by studding.
    How many Olajuwons do you see in the NBA?

Olajuwon can teach technique, but he can't teach his brand of footwork. You're either coordinated to pull those moves off, or you aren't.

The essence of point guard play isn't fundamentals as much as it is instinct. I can cite brandon knight a thousand times, but he's got a very high IQ and studies his *** off, yet struggles to make the simplest PG plays.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Of the teams in the East with the most surprising start, which one is more likely to make the playoffs and why?
    Magic- 3-2
    Philly- 3-2
    Bobcats- 3-2
    The Bobcats are the best of the three but I doubt any of them make it.

Philly won't win 20 games.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

Was the question not, which team is MOST LIKELY to make the playoffs and why?

AND your ONLY reason for the Magic to get into the playoffs is b/c of Olapido?

I based my reasoning on their youth( Vucevic, Nicholson, Harekless, Harris, O'Quinn, AND Olapido). Not to mention Nelson, Afflalo, and Davis. The last time I checked BB was a team sport, and in order to be successful it took a team of players.

I understand the IU homerism, but Olapido can't do it by himself. If that's the case, one could state Charlotte should be the choice b/c last years #2 pick Kid-Gilchrist will be the deciding factor. Forget IU's Cody Zeller, McBob, or any of the rest of Charlotte's players having anything to do with Charlotte getting in the playoffs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IU homerism?

The Magic said it themselves when they drafted the guy, they wanted him to lead by example with his work ethic.

Clearly he won't be the only reason they get to the playoffs, but he is a great leader and works as hard as anyone. It has nothing to do with being a homer.

I'm not sitting here saying Cody will lead Charlotte to anything.

If I'm not going to be able to enjoy or tout Victor's game here without being labeled a homer that is going to real old, real quick.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

IU homerism?

The Magic said it themselves when they drafted the guy, they wanted him to lead by example with his work ethic.

Clearly he won't be the only reason they get to the playoffs, but he is a great leader and works as hard as anyone. It has nothing to do with being a homer.

I'm not sitting here saying Cody will lead Charlotte to anything.

If I'm not going to be able to enjoy or tout Victor's game here without being labeled a homer that is going to real old, real quick.

You aren't the only poster who has a favorite college that produces NBA players. You don't see me praising/singing their laurels, but IU faithful seem to have to do so. Are you insecure, or afraid if you don't Olapido will go the way of other IU players who got drafted and failed to make it? Personally, if anything I've gone the other way saying player x with my college favorite made a mistake and left too early for the NBA when they weren't ready. My college team has what I feel is a bright future star in the NBA, but you don't see me having to shout their praises. I let their play speak for them. You saw their play the other night, and it spoke for itself!!! Yet, I NEVER said a thing about it.

The team he plays on might have a chance to make it to the playoffs, but if they do it won't be b/c of him alone but with the help of his team mates. AND I'll be quietly cheering for his team to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    You aren't the only poster who has a favorite college that produces NBA players. You don't see me praising/singing their laurels, but IU faithful seem to have to do so. Are you insecure, or afraid if you don't Olapido will go the way of other IU players who got drafted and failed to make it? Personally, if anything I've gone the other way saying player x with my college favorite made a mistake and left too early for the NBA when they weren't ready. My college team has what I feel is a bright future star in the NBA, but you don't see me having to shout their praises. I let their play speak for them. You saw their play the other night, and it spoke for itself!!! Yet, I NEVER said a thing about it.

The team he plays on might have a chance to make it to the playoffs, but if they do it won't be b/c of him alone but with the help of his team mates. AND I'll be quietly cheering for his team to do so.
    Oh so since it's known that I'm an IU fan and a Pacer fan my opinion on IU players is immediately homer based or not usable. Got it.

The question was which of these three teams has the best chance. I answered Orlando and I think Victor will play a big role in that, but it has pretty much zero to do with his time spent at IU and everything to do with who he is as a player. I don't see my saying that I think he could play a role in Orlando making the playoffs as hyping him up, but whatever floats your boat I guess. It's not like I came in here declaring Orlando would make the playoffs because of Oladipo on my own accord I was answering somebody else's question so I didn't even start the topic, so I would say no I clearly see no need to be in here shouting Oladipo's praises.

In fact he's still got a ton of flaws that are obvious to anyone that watches him for even 5 seconds.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-07-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    I liked it. Also got me thinking:

It's amazing how good a rebounder Kevin Love is despite the fact that he's not that tall, heavy, or long. And he doesn't really make up for it by being extremely quick or athletic either. I know Larry loves to say "I see a little bit of myself in him" about all 4 year college players we draft, but if ever there was a player who gets results despite having measurable advantages, it's Kevin Love.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Bargnani is the best.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

JK Redick will be an astute acquisition by the Clippers. Him and Dudley will offer much needed spacing in their starting 5. Both very good shooters of course.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    JK Redick will be an astute acquisition by the Clippers. Him and Dudley will offer much needed spacing in their starting 5. Both very good shooters of course.
    Yeah, but as the Chuckster and others were pointing out today, they give you very little on D.

Clippers are overrated.
    David "And One" West

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Oh so since it's known that I'm an IU fan and a Pacer fan my opinion on IU players is immediately homer based or not usable. Got it.

The question was which of these three teams has the best chance. I answered Orlando and I think Victor will play a big role in that, but it has pretty much zero to do with his time spent at IU and everything to do with who he is as a player. I don't see my saying that I think he could play a role in Orlando making the playoffs as hyping him up, but whatever floats your boat I guess. It's not like I came in here declaring Orlando would make the playoffs because of Oladipo on my own accord I was answering somebody else's question so I didn't even start the topic, so I would say no I clearly see no need to be in here shouting Oladipo's praises.

In fact he's still got a ton of flaws that are obvious to anyone that watches him for even 5 seconds.
    No point in arguing with that guy, he has IU Derangement Syndrome- a mental disorder characterized by irrational, borderline psychotic hatred of Indiana University. It's most commonly found in Purdue fans but seems to have spread to Butler fans as well in recent years. No known cure. Quarantine and social exclusion are recommended treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    No point in arguing with that guy, he has IU Derangement Syndrome- a mental disorder characterized by irrational, borderline psychotic hatred of Indiana University. It's most commonly found in Purdue fans but seems to have spread to Butler fans as well in recent years. No known cure. Quarantine and social exclusion are recommended treatments.
    Quotes the biggest homer of any team in any sport.

Here's hoosierguy's 2014 NBA draft top 5:

1. Noah Vonleh
    2. Yogi Ferrell
    3. Will Sheehey
    4. Stanford Robinson
    5. Jeremy Hollowell
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

I don't like to judge fans since I rarely get to go to games but it seems like an awful lot of open seats out there for a Heat/Clippers game.

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Quotes the biggest homer of any team in any sport.

Here's hoosierguy's 2014 NBA draft top 5:

1. Noah Vonleh
    2. Yogi Ferrell
    3. Will Sheehey
    4. Stanford Robinson
    5. Jeremy Hollowell
    No Hulls is going to re-enter go number 1. The rest is correct from there though.

Clippers D is pretty bad

No Hulls is going to re-enter go number 1. The rest is correct from there though.
    SMH.

Forgot about Hulls. That guy has N. B. A. written all over him. He's a white Chris Paul.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

So how can you defend Harden on the fast break when he just bulls his way into your space to draw the foul, it works every time.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    So how can you defend Harden on the fast break when he just bulls his way into your space to draw the foul, it works every time.
    Be interesting to see how they call Hibbert when we play them then.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, but as the Chuckster and others were pointing out today, they give you very little on D.

I totally disagree with that. I think Redick is a very good defender and Dudley is at least average at his position. I think the Clippers' biggest weakness is that they don't have a single post-up threat on the team (though Blake is slowly developing that aspect of his game), and Chris Paul is basically the only guy on the team that can get easy baskets.

Well half gimpy DWade did smoke JJ pretty hard tonight.

Rockets really blew that one. Mostly on Dwight Howard for refusing to learn how to shoot a FT (only excuse to be that terrible as a veteran). I really like Jodie Meeks' game this year. This Lakers team is a lot better than people expected IMO.

Shaw playing Denver with very strange rotations. The only guys playing 30 minutes or more are Ty Lawson and Randy Foye. They're going 11 players deep while two of their bests players sit out, and he's barely given any of them starters minutes. I haven't watched any of their games, maybe they have nobody that's ready for big minutes yet, but it seems odd.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

29. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post: