Page 4 of 248 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would we want DWest to give up his midrange game, and put him out on the 3pt line? That's the real problem here. Different positions/players should have different roles and different places where they score from, instead of turning big men into little guys.

Players have the ability to become good shooters from both spots, and it should be encouraged, not just telling them to pick one and avoid the other.
    Well no. Obviously a talented multifaceted player like West is going to be more valuable at PF than some random stretch 4 that only provides a 3 pt shot. Even the Spurs, who I think are the best at this, plays a big lineup (Duncan and Splitter) large chunks of time. But even the "smashmouth" Pacers see the value of having a stretch 4 some of the time. That's why we signed Copeland after all.

On developing both long and midrange games. Of course players who are good at multiple facets of the game are better than guys who do only one thing. I don't think that's in dispute.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

LOL, Shaq would deserve to have his number retired before that clown.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kstat 8-12 ft isn't what I consider midrange. Elbow and in is a pretty good shot imo depending on personal. Kobe or Dwest going to work at the elbow is not bad if they are attacking. The issue I have is when guys pull up or start isoing from 17ft especially when they aren't very good at it. I agree with your take on attacking from the high post. If they are attacking and not throwing up dome soft fade away. The high post and short corner are places on the court that are deadly with proper play. I dont really consider thoes areas mid range though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Jim Rome's take on Howard:

You were special down there Dwight. And the organization was extremely upset with the way you ditched it. What are you looking for them to do? Retire your jersey and hang it up in the rafters? Some fan would climb up there and tear it down. The Magic can’t risk that. Shaq doesn’t even have his Magic number retired. Penny Hardaway’s #1 is still up for grabs… And Magic fans actually still sort of like those guys.

Big man- you’re got a nice set up. You’re running with a nice team. Why are you worried about some jersey number from TWO TEAMS ago? Are you bent that the Lakers didn’t toss up a Dwight Statue next to Chick and Erv? Because that’s not going to happen either. Stop worrying about them retiring your jersey and just be grateful they’re not burning it.

lmao

http://jimrome.com/2013/10/16/d-12-is-at-it-again/

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Ugh I ****ing hate that tool.

The Pelicans are going to be really fun to watch this year.

Extension for Derrick Favors. 4 years, $49 million

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--de...180910657.html
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Banned

I like Robin Lopez in Portland.

Why are there back to backs in the pre season?

Mood

Love Austin Carr add enthusiasm to whatever you do! Lrts see if Bennett goes off like he did the other night. he isn't in shape, but so skilled.

Mood

Chris Paul is something else tonight. So deadly from all over the floor. I really like Collison and Paul playing together. DC is such a solid player when he doesn't have to be the primary guy. He has been terrific this preseason. Cp3 DC and Crawford all playing together just a preseason thing but damn I like it so dynamic. Add in Redick when healthy such a deadly small guard combo rotation s to play with
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-20-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Banned

So the Clippers did a pretty good job with their bench again, Jamison, DC, Barnes, Redick, Mullens and Hollins, no bad.

I'm not trying to start something and that is why I am posting this article in mthis thread

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...al_talent.html#

Raptors: Tyler Hansbrough’s toughness ‘a special talent’

Tyler Hansbrough’s hard-hitting style of play seldom makes the highlight reels, but his teammates and coach Dwane Casey appreciate what the new Raptor brings to the court day in and day out.

By: Doug Smith

The topic turns to basketball “skill sets” and what fans notice and what they appreciate and, of course, a workmanlike banger like Raptors forward Tyler Hansbrough understands that he might not be as aesthetically pleasing as most other NBA players.

He doesn’t care an awful lot. His hit-first, hit-often mentality has served him pretty well in his first four years in the league, but he knows he’ll never dominate the highlight reels like the swift and athletic men who populate the league.

He’s knows his teammates appreciate what he does, he knows that opponents largely hate going against him, and that’s just fine with him.

But the fact is that what Hansbrough does, how he plays, how he carries himself on the court, is as learned and important a “skill” and any 360 dunk, shake-and-bake offensive move or silky-smooth jump.

“The No. 1 thing is playing hard like that every day is an NBA skill, that is a talent,”

Toronto coach Dwane Casey said ahead of a visit from the New York Knicks on Monday. “I don’t know how you describe it or what you call it but for the guys I’ve seen over the years who bring it every day like that, that is not easy to do.

“You would want everybody to give it every day like that and hit people and play hard and take hits, get beat up every day, but it doesn’t happen.”

It does, however, with the 27-year-old Hansbrough, who could be poised to join an elite group of tough-minded fan favourites that has dotted the roster over the years.

He hears the ovations when he gets in the game, he feels the buzz when he knocks people around chasing loose balls; he says he’s just doing what comes naturally and if it brings accolades, all the better.

“Sure, you hear it,” he said. “I just play my game . . . I feel like I can be a leader. I’m not the most vocal guy but I lead by example, do those kinds of things.

“Whatever that job is that night, you have to do. It’s not like you have different identities; each night out you have to do the same thing.”

Hansbrough’s consistent work ethic and style of play are sure to endear him to fans as the season progresses. Casey evokes the names of two of the more popular players in franchise history when he’s talking about Hansbrough, the former Indiana Pacer who was signed as a summer free agent to provide a measure of toughness to the team.

“Guys I’ve seen, the Reggie Evanses, the Tyler Hansbroughs, Jerome Williams, guys like that, that is a special talent that you need and I think it’s a big part of our personality,” said Casey.

“A city like Toronto, a city like Chicago has the love for a player like that. Utah, San Antonio . . . some cities have that flavour and like that kind of play and Toronto is one of them. And it fits me. I love that type of play, like hit-first mentality, and the more guys we can get like that, the better.”
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-21-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Anybody watch any Magic preseason games? The entire game is shot from the angle of those camera guys sitting under the baskets and they cut back and forth between the two cameras as each team brings the ball up the floor. Never seen a basketball game shot like this. It's hard to tell where the ball is sometimes but you get to see a lot of under the basket stuff you can't see in a normal game.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'm not trying to start something and that is why I am posting this article in mthis thread

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...al_talent.html#

Raptors: Tyler Hansbrough’s toughness ‘a special talent’

Tyler Hansbrough’s hard-hitting style of play seldom makes the highlight reels, but his teammates and coach Dwane Casey appreciate what the new Raptor brings to the court day in and day out.

By: Doug Smith

The topic turns to basketball “skill sets” and what fans notice and what they appreciate and, of course, a workmanlike banger like Raptors forward Tyler Hansbrough understands that he might not be as aesthetically pleasing as most other NBA players.

He doesn’t care an awful lot. His hit-first, hit-often mentality has served him pretty well in his first four years in the league, but he knows he’ll never dominate the highlight reels like the swift and athletic men who populate the league.

He’s knows his teammates appreciate what he does, he knows that opponents largely hate going against him, and that’s just fine with him.

But the fact is that what Hansbrough does, how he plays, how he carries himself on the court, is as learned and important a “skill” and any 360 dunk, shake-and-bake offensive move or silky-smooth jump.

“The No. 1 thing is playing hard like that every day is an NBA skill, that is a talent,”

Toronto coach Dwane Casey said ahead of a visit from the New York Knicks on Monday. “I don’t know how you describe it or what you call it but for the guys I’ve seen over the years who bring it every day like that, that is not easy to do.

“You would want everybody to give it every day like that and hit people and play hard and take hits, get beat up every day, but it doesn’t happen.”

It does, however, with the 27-year-old Hansbrough, who could be poised to join an elite group of tough-minded fan favourites that has dotted the roster over the years.

He hears the ovations when he gets in the game, he feels the buzz when he knocks people around chasing loose balls; he says he’s just doing what comes naturally and if it brings accolades, all the better.

“Sure, you hear it,” he said. “I just play my game . . . I feel like I can be a leader. I’m not the most vocal guy but I lead by example, do those kinds of things.

“Whatever that job is that night, you have to do. It’s not like you have different identities; each night out you have to do the same thing.”

Hansbrough’s consistent work ethic and style of play are sure to endear him to fans as the season progresses. Casey evokes the names of two of the more popular players in franchise history when he’s talking about Hansbrough, the former Indiana Pacer who was signed as a summer free agent to provide a measure of toughness to the team.

“Guys I’ve seen, the Reggie Evanses, the Tyler Hansbroughs, Jerome Williams, guys like that, that is a special talent that you need and I think it’s a big part of our personality,” said Casey.

“A city like Toronto, a city like Chicago has the love for a player like that. Utah, San Antonio . . . some cities have that flavour and like that kind of play and Toronto is one of them. And it fits me. I love that type of play, like hit-first mentality, and the more guys we can get like that, the better.”
    I'm not a Tyler hater; I appreciate his motor and what he brings to the floor. But Casey is deluding himself - Reggie Evans and Jerome Williams hit the boards hard. Tyler plays hard but he's far from prolific on the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Anybody watch any Magic preseason games? The entire game is shot from the angle of those camera guys sitting under the baskets and they cut back and forth between the two cameras as each team brings the ball up the floor. Never seen a basketball game shot like this. It's hard to tell where the ball is sometimes but you get to see a lot of under the basket stuff you can't see in a normal game.
    It was their jumbo-tron feed. It does give a different insight to the game like you said.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to lolwuttermelons For This Useful Post:

I'm not actually sure where to put this, but this was a hilarious read:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...-kent-bazemore

Lance Stephenson

Why We Love Him: If LeBron James is the Patrón of NBA superstars, Lance Stephenson is a bottle of tequila you got for three dollars in Tijuana. Some nights the pull-up jumpers will be air balls and the fouls will be flagrant; others, he'll drop 25 and shut down D-Wade. Either way: Every night is an adventure when you add a bunch of cheap tequila to the mix.

The no. 1 criteria for this All-Star team is whether you could put a camera on a player all night long and be entertained. Lance? Passes with flying colors.

We wrote about him during last year's playoffs, and among the many different reasons it's been fun to watch him in Indiana, the biggest reason was this: Lance was supposed to fail. He was supposed to be a cautionary tale about entitled high school kids hyped too early and prone to laziness. Instead, the guy who personifies New York City basketball better than anyone in the NBA found redemption among Hoosiers, and rather than a cautionary tale, we've gotten this nightly fever dream in which Lance Stephenson is a bona fide catalyst who saved his career with hard work and humility. If all that sounds like a horrible cliché, that's OK, because that's what really happened.

Every night/week/year it continues, the story gets better. In the meantime, Lance is relentless and relentlessly entertaining. Of course he's a Triangle All-Star.

Why Some People Don't Love Him:
    Opponents and opposing fans don't love him because he's currently wearing the Bruce Bowen crown as the most obnoxious defender in the NBA. He will play dirty, he will talk ****, he is not actually that talented, but there's never any doubt that he thinks he's the best player on the floor. Shockingly, a player fitting that description occasionally rubs people the wrong way.

Anecdote That Only Makes Us Love Him More: Three submissions here.

1. Pacers announcer Mark Boyle: "We've had some guys here in the '90s that were older-school guys who would have snapped him in half by now. I'm surprised that he's still in one piece. He agitates his own teammates during practices. Not that it's that bad. But day after day for six months, I imagine it gets on your nerves."

2. Larry Bird is his mentor: "He gave me the confidence to feel like I could play in this league. We text all the time. And I just want to thank him, because he's a legend, and when he tells you that you can do something, it gives you the confidence."

3. Lance has a brother named Lantz.

Video or GIF Evidence of His Supremacy: Someone scrape Tony Parker off the floor.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kstat, give me your Pistons season record prediction for this year.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

If we stay healthy, I think we max out at 50 and bottom out at 41. Way too much talent in a crappy conference to not have a winning season.

No Brandon Jennings the first 2 weeks might get us off on the wrong foot, though.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-21-2013 at 06:22 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

http://www.fearthesword.com/2013/10/...retired-number

No offense to Big Z, but that is a joke. There is no way the Cavs should retire his number.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    http://www.fearthesword.com/2013/10/...retired-number

No offense to Big Z, but that is a joke. There is no way the Cavs should retire his number.
    Yea doesn't really make sense, dilutes their criteria for retiring jerseys.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Haven't seen Oladipo playing at all cause I don't watch college basketball. Is he that good as his draft pick suggests so? He can play both the guards positions I read. Is he a tweener like Hill for example? As far as athleticism is concerned, is it a department he excels there?
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Haven't seen Oladipo playing at all cause I don't watch college basketball. Is he that good as his draft pick suggests so? He can play both the guards positions I read. Is he a tweener like Hill for example? As far as athleticism is concerned, is it a department he excels there?
    Watched him play last night. Terrific defense but 4/14 with 7 assists and 5 turnovers sums up his performance perfectly.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

He isn't a tweener he is an elite athlete (probably the best in his draft McLemore and him are super close IMO). He moves like a gazel on defense it is beautiful. I would try him at pg just like the Magic are doing, but he is a natural prototypical SG who moves like an elite quickness pg. I like him at pg because of the type of person he is. No doubt he is going to be a TO machine early, but i would live with it if I am his coach( game changer on defense plus he has never played the pg spot so it will take time). I think he is better offensively than he showed at IU. I had him as a top 3 pick in the draft. He and McLemore were my two favorite players to watch play in college last year (outside of Ian Clark but Ian wasn't really a good NBA prospect so he doesn't count)

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

he's a little overrated but he has a lot of upside if he can put it all together
    "We want Miami"