Page 24 of 237 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ....apparently it doesnt take a genius to guard paul george then? Because he defended him pretty easily once they switched him to SF...
    Yeah, that never happened.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah, that never happened.
    Yeah, it did. But I'm not going to argue with someone that apparently didn't watch his own team's playoff series. Re-watch games 3-6 and get back to me. Thanks.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Yeah, it did. But I'm not going to argue with someone that apparently didn't watch his own team's playoff series.
    In other words, "I have no way to prove that or anything to back that up, so I'm going to slip out of this while I still can."

In other words, "I have no way to prove that or anything to back that up, so I'm going to slip out of this while I still can."
    Yes, because box scores of that series aren't readily available at all! We may as well be searching for Jimmy Hoffa.....

You can go ahead and post them. I'm done with you because frankly my patience for ignorance is low tonight.

Yes, because box scores of that series aren't readily available at all! We may as well be searching for Jimmy Hoffa.....
    I'd be delighted to see them. Not just box scores, the splits from when Smith was playing PF and (presumably) guarding David West, and then when he switched to SF and (presumably) began guarding Paul George. Show me something and I'll be happy to eat crow.

I'd be delighted to see them. Not just box scores, the splits from when Smith was playing PF and (presumably) guarding David West, and then when he switched to SF and (presumably) began guarding Paul George. Show me something and I'll be happy to eat crow.
    uh....Who in their lineup do you think played SF in those games? Johan Petro? Al Horford?

You did at least watch those games, right? Right? Silly me, that's a stupid question. We wouldn't be having this discussion if you had.

uh....Who in their lineup do you think played SF in those games? Johan Petro? Al Horford?

You did at least watch those games, right? Right? Silly me, that's a stupid question. We wouldn't be having this discussion if you had.
    All of them but one when I was on a plane and the WiFi failed me, yes. Anyone else see Josh Smith shut down Paul George? Any recollection of this? Or did we all not watch the Hawks series?

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

You can go ahead and post them. I'm done with you because frankly my patience for ignorance is low tonight.
    Game 3

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Josh Smith will cause many more nights like this. Take some Xanax and enjoy the ride.

Sports Logo

All of them but one when I was on a plane and the WiFi failed me, yes. Anyone else see Josh Smith shut down Paul George? Any recollection of this? Or did we all not watch the Hawks series?
    Shut down is a bit harsh but he played good D against George. In general, Josh Smith is a very good defensive player.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Banned

I went back to look at the game highlights and it looks to me like Korver was the one guarding Paul George.

so Josh was really really good at guarding small forwards, and so he played power forward 6 times as many minutes as he did SF?

Josh playing SF was barely more frequent than him playing center last year. 51%/9%/6%

http://www.82games.com/1213/12ATL14.HTM
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Josh Smith will cause many more nights like this. Take some Xanax and enjoy the ride.
    I hope he does. Because we'll win 50+ games with defense like that even if he has bad shooting nights.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I went back to look at the game highlights and it looks to me like Korver was the one guarding Paul George.
    In the first two games, yes. That's why PG had 16 FTs in game 1. The Hawks changed their line-up when the series went back to Atlanta.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Shut down is a bit harsh but he played good D against George. In general, Josh Smith is a very good defensive player.
    Yes, I know he is a good defender. Better while playing PF than SF though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    In the first two games, yes. That's why PG had 16 FTs in game 1. The Hawks changed their line-up when the series went back to Atlanta.
    Holy crap, a pacer fan that actually watched the pacers play in the playoffs. I was beginning to think I was more qualified to speak on the matter....

yeah.....no.

He's too small on the block to defend the bigger fours. At SF he can roam the floor and be free of the pounding.

I would think the Pacers/Hawks series where he was beaten up by David West and in turn beat up Paul George after the lineup change was enough proof of that, but I made the mistake of taking into account people paying attention to detail.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I hope he does. Because we'll win 50+ games with defense like that even if he has bad shooting nights.
    And lose in the first round. A scenario J-Smoove is very well-versed in.

Poking and prodding aside, I do think the Pistons will be frisky this year. I'd be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs. Obviously with the way the 76ers have played they have a spot locked up, but the other two are up for grabs.

Holy crap, a pacer fan that actually watched the pacers play in the playoffs. I was beginning to think I was more qualified to speak on the matter....
    You are more qualified to speak on that matter, if you agree I am more qualified to speak on the horrendous signings Joe Dumars makes. Chaz Villanueva and Ben Gordon. Never forget.

And lose in the first round. A scenario J-Smoove is very well-versed in.
    He has a lot more talent and size on this team than he had in Atlanta. He had to protect Horford and Korver/Williams on defense constantly. On this team drummond and Monroe protect him from quality bigs. He doesn't have to guard the Garnetts or David Wests anymore.

You are more qualified to speak on that matter, if you agree I am more qualified to speak on the horrendous signings Joe Dumars makes. Chaz Villanueva and Ben Gordon. Never forget.
    You apparently care about it more than I do, so feel free....

yeah.....no.

He's too small on the block to defend the bigger fours. At SF he can roam the floor and be free of the pounding.

I would think the Pacers/Hawks series where he was beaten up by David West and in turn beat up Paul George after the lineup change was enough proof of that, but I made the mistake of taking into account people paying attention to detail.
    You never disappoint. You and hoosierguy are far too much fun to **** off. So he "beat up" Paul George now?

Sports Logo

Well, here are last season's stats -> http://www.82games.com/1213/12ATL14.HTM

When he was playing at SF he was holding his counterpart at a 8.9 PER. That's a very good number and considerably better than the number that he has at PF. He is better offensively as a PF, though, according to those stats.

In any case, I believe that Smith is a very good defender in both the PF and SF spots. He has the body, the athleticism and the defensive awareness to do it.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

You apparently care about it more than I do, so feel free....
    Nah, I really don't. I just knew posting about Josh Smith's line tonight would rile you up, and sure enough, I was able to wreak havoc on you like Josh Smith on Paul George.

I'm happy with Smith. He had a really bad night against the NBA's best defensive team in their house. It happens. He still put us in position to win the game, and Memphis had to have 3 or 4 things go their way in the last minute to come back.

Smith had the ball in the post a lot. He just couldn't get anything going. He also deflected about 8-9 passes and altered at least 7 more shots at the rim. He's an incredibly disruptive force and it led to multiple stops.

Hate that we blew the game. Liked that we were in position to blow it at all with two backup guards in the starting lineup.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-01-2013 at 10:53 PM.