Page 22 of 248 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
Results 526 to 550 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

  1. #526

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I fail to see how penalizing a team that can't figure out is supposed to make them better. These teams aren't purposefully staying bad for half of a decade or more. You can't just fire your clearly bad GM and hire a GM who is clearly good. Even individual GMs have their good years and bad years. Exhibit A: Donnie Walsh.

    Plus, it will never happen. You can't financially penalize them because no owner would ever agree to a provision that takes away money from the owners because players don't produce. Secondly, you can't impose a competitive penalty because...well, why would you need to impose a competitive penalty on a bad team?
    The Majority of owners would of course agree to this kind of cash hit for bad owners, because it would put more money in their pocket.

    And yes, some teams don't even try to be competitive, because the owners don't care. The Clippers for example for a long time didn't even try to be competitive. Because in the NBA you can make money without trying to win.

  2. #527
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    The Clippers got away with not competing because they didn't play in a market that cared.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  3. #528
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,618

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Majority of owners would of course agree to this kind of cash hit for bad owners, because it would put more money in their pocket.

    And yes, some teams don't even try to be competitive, because the owners don't care. The Clippers for example for a long time didn't even try to be competitive. Because in the NBA you can make money without trying to win.
    Which extremely rich and powerful owner do you think believes when his team loses it's because he's a bad owner and he hired the wrong guy?

    All teams have bad mulityear stretches at some point, and you can bet all the money in the world that the owners believe the losing is because the people under didn't do it right. Owners are not going to place millions of dollars that would belong to them in the hands of basketball players and general managers.

  4. #529

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which extremely rich and powerful owner do you think believes when his team loses it's because he's a bad owner and he hired the wrong guy?

    All teams have bad mulityear stretches at some point, and you can bet all the money in the world that the owners believe the losing is because the people under didn't do it right. Owners are not going to place millions of dollars that would belong to them in the hands of basketball players and general managers.
    Owners fire managers all the time. I don't really see your point. Cuban just fired one if I read the ticker correctly. And yes teams go through bad stretches, and usually its because they are being poorly run. IE the Bobcats.

  5. #530
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,618

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Owners fire managers all the time. I don't really see your point. Cuban just fired one if I read the ticker correctly. And yes teams go through bad stretches, and usually its because they are being poorly run. IE the Bobcats.
    Right. They fire them because they failed to do the job the owner hired them for. In other words, it was the GM's fault. Why would they want to risk millions of dollars because somebody they hired didn't do their job right? It's not going to happen. And even if it did, it wouldn't help anything. You would just be penalizing a team's ability to actually get back into the competitive sphere of the NBA.

    Besides, does anybody think the Pacers didn't rebuild correctly? We went four years without playoffs and six straight years without a winning record. Does that mean the Pacers were managed badly? By all black and white accounts, the Pacers were perennial losers at that point.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 11-01-2013 at 06:01 PM.

  6. #531

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think they need a revenue hit. I think they need a pride hit. IF there isn't a significant reward for losing, then they don't have any more empty excuses to sell their fanbase, they're just a bad owner of a bad team.

    The bigger issue is that fans don't demand success anymore, because they're buying in to the same fantasy.

    I can't help but notice once GSW's owner started getting booed in his own arena....the warriors stopped being a crappy team.
    The Dubs owner got booed because they have a bunch of dumb fans that had a stupid attachment to Monta Ellis. It's chicken and egg, he got booed AFTER taking steps toward making them good, he didn't start making steps after getting booed. So if he'd listened to the fans they'd still be mediocre.

  7. #532
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    MCW getting his welcome to the nba moment tonight. John Wall is destroying him.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  8. #533
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Wall may go for 40 tonight, on 15 layups. This is abuse.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  9. #534
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,627

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Eric Gordon looks healthy. Interested to see how long that lasts. My guess is not long. Hopefully for the Pellies, long enough to establish some trade value.

  10. #535

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown



    face of the franchise

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  12. #536
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Brooklyn is the opposite of New York everybody is passing too much, they pass less and they are going to be bada$$

  13. #537
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Jason Terry is alive I thought he was dead last year lol

  14. #538

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    guess AI's just gonna run with that look until he has no other choice

  15. #539

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Philly's kinda screwing up this tanking thing

  16. #540
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,139

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Philly's kinda screwing up this tanking thing
    Eh, it's the start of the season. Teams tend to tank after December.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  17. #541
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,424

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    I still find it hilarious that a tanking Philly is about to be tied for 1st in the conference....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  19. #542
    immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Wilderness Fortress, Sahara Desert
    Posts
    825
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    I didnt think it was possible, but they made the League Pass Broadband Stats Central music WORSE. Seriously, can we sign a petition to make these things silent? How many more people need to suffer from fatal seizures?

  20. #543
    Member IrishPacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,455

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Didn't the Magic start 3-0 last year? Plenty of games to be lost for the Sixers yet.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.


    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

  21. #544
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,978

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    The Nets need to get make sure that Kidd has a personal driver so that he doesn't get suspended again for wrapping his rig around another utility pole after hitting the sauce.

  22. #545
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,512

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    I got ripped for this question a week ago, but I'll ask again...Did Cleveland screw up the draft by going with Bennett? I know its only been 2 games, but he has scored a total of 2 points, and has yet to make a FG. If you are picked 1 overall, you have to contribute from day one
    David "And One" West

  23. #546
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,978

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    The Heat look like a team that has played in the Finals three straight seasons. It takes a toll on guys' bodies. They'll win plenty of games this year, but they're going to have that 2011 Laker vulnerability to them in the postseason.

  24. #547

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    So uh Thunder got dominated.

  25. #548
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,978

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So uh Thunder got dominated.
    Westbrook's absence in the playoffs and beginning of this regular season has shown that he is basically as important as Durant. That team just isn't that great without 0.

    Meanwhile, the Harden trade continues to look like one of the five worst in NBA history.

  26. #549
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,512

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Gerald Green looks very comfortable playing on a bad Suns' team. Just doesn't have what it takes to play "winning" basketball
    David "And One" West

  27. #550
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,139

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So uh Thunder got dominated.
    They were losing by 33 (67-100) but their 3rd string guys went on a 11-0 run to make the final score a bit closer.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •