Page 18 of 231 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

You're seeing the ugly side of the warriors tonight....the clippers are getting any shot they want. It's not just Paul breaking them down. JJ Redick is getting in on the action.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Andrew Bogut vs DeAndre Jordon. If there was one big white guy in the league I wouldn't mess with after a hard foul, it would be Bogut. He is Australian. They have a universal high tolerance of pain and like to fight for ***** and giggles.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

While I'm still in a good mood....before Memphis demolishes us tonight: A pretty good 2-minute summary of our frontcourt's production last night.

The 55 points and 29 rebounds I expected. The 9 assists were pretty.

If there's any doubt about Klay Thompson's defense, Chris Paul just posted him up, backed him down and scored on him.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd be so frustrated if I were a Clippers fan, I mean has Blake Griffin improved on anything since he got into the league, besides the amount of Kia/Game Fly commercials he's in?
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Both of these teams playing soft, for different reasons. LAC showing no killer instinct, and GSW just trying to outscore the clippers instead of trying to get stops.

Well, if you want to get blown out in LA, allowing CP3 and Blake into the open floor is a good idea...

Banned

Iguadola is so overpaid for what he does.

The first 3 days of the season show how tough it is to win on the road in the opponent's home opener. 2 for 19.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Good lord, up by 11 and Clippers have to take Jordon off the court. Thats embarrassing. But then GSW matches them and takes Bogut off the floor. Chris Dudley can not stop Bogut. They should have posted him up and got a few quick points and just played a zone on the other end. After Bogut makes a few easy buckets, they would be forced to bring Jordon back in and then GSW could continue to send him to the line to brick another dozen FT's. Always make the opposition adjust to your line up advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be so frustrated if I were a Clippers fan, I mean has Blake Griffin improved on anything since he got into the league, besides the amount of Kia/Game Fly commercials he's in?
    Not much, I think he has gotten his mid-range jumper to be respectable. But if I were the opponent I'd still let him have that shot every time down the floor until he absolutely kills you with it. Better then letting CP3 get going and start racking up assists and let them run out on you.....but these are the Warriors, old habits die hard.

You are seeing why both of these teams will not make the finals this year. No defense from either team and GSW has no other reliable option outside of Curry and Thompson raining 3's all game long.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Clippers took 50 free throws tonight, and only 6 were due to hack-a-Jordan

That's a nice deal for Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    The Clippers took 50 free throws tonight, and only 6 were due to hack-a-Jordan
    Mark Jackson's substitute for good defense is generally to foul the crap out of the other team, so that isn't surprising.

GSW has been in the top 5 in fouls committed every year since Jackson took over.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-01-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Banned

Henry Abbott ‏@TrueHoop 17h
    Stan Van Gundy's HoopIdea to fix tanking: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...to-fix-tanking

Other ideas in how to fix tanking, I believe that the only way to fix it is to give all 14 teams the same odds to win the lottery.

Banned

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Haven't we seen all of those before? I really don't understand the idea that you fix tanking by giving the best team to miss the playoffs the number 1 pick, or by setting up a bidding war for rookie players that basically means they go to LA, Chicago, NY, or whatever team is currently winning (which will become either LA, Chicago, or NY under such a scheme).

I think you fix tanking by making sure the team that gets the #1 pick is really the worst team, not the one that can fake it for a season or has some "bad" luck.

The "fixes" suggested are really just things that will make the media coverage more "exciting" - huge headlines for an all-team lottery, big speculation in the blogs for which big-market team will land the Kentucky player who wants to be on the biggest possible stage, what team will pay LeBron $70M since he is so pissed at his last team being unable to surround him with quality talent for $2M for 12 players.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Henry Abbott ‏@TrueHoop 17h
    Stan Van Gundy's HoopIdea to fix tanking: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...to-fix-tanking

Other ideas in how to fix tanking, I believe that the only way to fix it is to give all 14 teams the same odds to win the lottery.
    wouldn't that cause a bigger problems.

I mean if you wanting to fix tanking 100%, why not just give the team with the best record the first draft pick. That way we know every team in the NBA will want to get the best record.

I still don't think it's as big of a problem as everyone says it is.

I mean- everyone keeps complaining about tanking but it's astounding how many teams are NOT tanking in what Bill Simmons called the most loaded draft since 1984.

Is it REALLY a problem?? Tanking teams give up assets, making other teams stronger- when teams are much more willing to trade, it makes it easier for teams to re-arrange their rosters for potentially good to great teams- There are at least 6 great teams in the NBA right now. Normally there is usually about 3 great teams that you can see compete for a championship.

Not only are there 6 great teams, there are at least 9 other teams that have the makings of a future powerhouse. There's a lot of teams with bright futures now, the league is as competitive as it has ever been.

I don't think tanking is a problem.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Definitely with StanVan on getting rid of max contracts

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think you fix tanking by making sure the team that gets the #1 pick is really the worst team, not the one that can fake it for a season or has some "bad" luck.
    But under the current system there's incentive to be the worst team. So teams gut themselves to become non-competitive and end up with high picks in multiple years. It's not tanking as in "not playing as good as we could", it's tanking as in "let's assemble a bad team and lose for awhile".

People are trying to take away the incentive to be the very worse team in the league. They want to change the current climate where there are 2-3 teams every year that are intentionally non-competitive. One way to do this is to create a situation in which the bad teams have to win to fight for the best pick (for example by reversing the lottery odds). It has nothing to do with making the lottery more exciting or steering the best players to the big markets. It's just about taking away the incentive to be the worst.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    wouldn't that cause a bigger problems.

I mean if you wanting to fix tanking 100%, why not just give the team with the best record the first draft pick. That way we know every team in the NBA will want to get the best record.
    Your idea would create Super teams and the teams that suck won't have the chance to get better, giving all 14 teams the same odds as I'm suggesting stops teams for trying to be the worse they can be like the Bobcats, Phoenix and Sixers this year, the only thing I don't like about my suggestion is that is going to create a lot of mediocre teams like Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Your idea would create Super teams and the teams that suck won't have the chance to get better, giving all 14 teams the same odds as I'm suggesting stops teams for trying to be the worse they can be like the Bobcats, Phoenix and Sixers this year, the only thing I don't like about my suggestion is that is going to create a lot of mediocre teams like Milwaukee.
    It wasn't really an idea, it was more a comment on the system. Teams will tank as long as there is a benefit to losing. In the current system, if you are a bottom 3 team you are guaranteed at absolute worst the sixth pick in the draft. Changing the odds wouldn't change that, and teams would still tank.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal in tanking is. If you want to throw the late-lottery teams a bone, you could just invert the 2nd round selections so the 14th team gets the 1st pick in the 2nd round, the 13th gets the 2nd, etc.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    But under the current system there's incentive to be the worst team. So teams gut themselves to become non-competitive and end up with high picks in multiple years. It's not tanking as in "not playing as good as we could", it's tanking as in "let's assemble a bad team and lose for awhile".

People are trying to take away the incentive to be the very worse team in the league. They want to change the current climate where there are 2-3 teams every year that are intentionally non-competitive. One way to do this is to create a situation in which the bad teams have to win to fight for the best pick (for example by reversing the lottery odds). It has nothing to do with making the lottery more exciting or steering the best players to the big markets. It's just about taking away the incentive to be the worst.
    I didn't say the current system was working. I just don't think replacing it with something that gives up even trying to address what the draft is there for is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I am on record as saying you get rid of the lottery and make draft position based on a rolling average of the last 5 years, with restrictions on number of #1 picks and even top 3 picks (to foil the Sterlings of the world). No team will be willing to suck for 5 years to get a guaranteed #1 pick in a draft they won't know who is in it for at least 3 years into their campaign. Even big market teams with almost guaranteed attendance would find it hard to make it through that kind of timeframe. The best part is that teams "stuck" in the middle usually won't stay stuck under such a model - especially teams with losing records who make the playoffs in a bad conference. Teams that "rebuild" will still have a couple of years of flying high to work past before leapfrogging the middle teams for better draft position. You still won't end up with the #1 pick, but I'd see a lot mor 9-10 picks from teams that have struggled to get beyond the middle of the road. Not only that but the value of draft picks for a trade becomes a heck of a lot easier to assess.

Why won't this be done? For one reason and one reason only - it doesn't make for great television. Period.

And isn't "the bad teams have to win" a bit of an oxymoron? What you're fixing is that the teams who are PRETENDING to be bad have to win - which they can do. The teams that are REALLY bad just stay that way.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh