Page 134 of 248 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a really difficult comparison to make. I think over the course of watching an NBA game I get more irritated at the officiating than I do during NFL games, but there's a lot more action in an NBA game. It's just tough. I will say I gained a new appreciation for NFL officials after watching their catastrophic replacements.
    My problem with both NBA/NFL officials is that they are supposed to be the world's best officials. They shouldn't screw up as often as they do. I honestly believe I could do a better job, and I have zero experience
    David "And One" West

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

It's a really difficult comparison to make. I think over the course of watching an NBA game I get more irritated at the officiating than I do during NFL games, but there's a lot more action in an NBA game. It's just tough. I will say I gained a new appreciation for NFL officials after watching their catastrophic replacements.
    Seriously, anybody could tell that a foul was committed on Austin Rivers. How can professionals, guys that are supposed to be the best at their occupation, miss that obvious of a foul there
    David "And One" West

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    My problem with both NBA/NFL officials is that they are supposed to be the world's best officials. They shouldn't screw up as often as they do. I honestly believe I could do a better job, and I have zero experience
    No offense, but you absolutely could not.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    ...so you're one of those guys, huh....

Let me guess, you're the guy that stands up during a game and tells everyone "I would have made those free throws!"

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    They didn't give him that call because he is Austin Rivers. If he lights it up next season and grows into his potential they might give it to him next season. They probably don't respect the NOP that much anyways.
    So you are saying the NBA really is one step up from WWE where the refs really do purposefully give certain guys more calls than others? If so, the league needs to just say scrubs you will not get even blatant calls because, well you are not good enough. A little bump going to the rim which could or could not be a fouls I can see, but getting blatantly hacked on a shot which everyone in the building can see is pathetic. Has the league office apologized yet?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    So you are saying the NBA really is one step up from WWE where the refs really do purposefully give certain guys more calls than others? If so, the league needs to just say scrubs you will not get even blatant calls because, well you are not good enough. A little bump going to the rim which could or could not be a fouls I can see, but getting blatantly hacked on a shot which everyone in the building can see is pathetic. Has the league office apologized yet?

NBA refs have been terrible since the old 4-point-play days. Just more blatantly biased now.

This bias is the thing which has always bothered me about the NBA. No other league, pro or college, has officials who just say "screw you" and don't make calls evenly. At least the Pacers are finally to the point where we actually benefit from this mind set.

I don't think most fans even understand what even officiating is...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

yes, sorta. Did say it should have been a foul, Rivers shooting 3 with 0.6 seconds left.
    Last edited by xIndyFan; 01-12-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I don't think most fans even understand what even officiating is...
    This is going to be a little bit of hyperbole but...I think I'd be a better NBA player than an NBA referee. I don't really think people realize how difficult of a job that is.

NBA needs to hire me as an official, I'd be a superstar! lol LeBron would foul out in the first minute

This is going to be a little bit of hyperbole but...I think I'd be a better NBA player than an NBA referee. I don't really think people realize how difficult of a job that is.
    I agree, being a ref at any level is hard to do. I hated having to sub in as a ref in middle school games, let alone even imagine how hard it is at the pro level with the bodies and fast movement. That being said, blowing obvious calls in open space like this one is really bad.

I agree, being a ref at any level is hard to do. I hated having to sub in as a ref in middle school games, let alone even imagine how hard it is at the pro level with the bodies and fast movement. That being said, blowing obvious calls in open space like this one is really bad.
    Yeah, I honestly still haven't seen the play in question. I did see where the NBA actually admitted the refs missed a critical foul call during that game so it must have been pretty egregious.

Sacramento is up 44 points on the cavs right now.

The best part is the cavs were up 2 after the first quarter.

Anthony Bennett of course still has not scored.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-12-2014 at 08:22 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Sacramento is up 44 points on the cavs right now.

The best part is the cavs were up 2 after the first quarter.

Anthony Bennett of course still has not scored.
    The blowout really messed up Andy's chance at a trip-dub too.

Bennett finally scored on his 5th shot.

Kings 124, Cavs 80

Dutch Pacers Fan

The kings are feeling pretty good about themselves, heading into a roadtrip. First stop: us! They will get pounded into the ground though, all that athleticism means nothing when you play a solid team. Cleveland was like circus ugly the second half. Bennett looked like he tried a little bit. I think he'll get better post ASG and at least have a better rookie season than Kwame Brown did.
    Yay, I don't know if we're going back to the play-offs!

Sports Logo

Rudy Gay has been really good with the Kings. I'll have to give him credit. He has only shot below 50% in 4 games (1/6 vs Charlotte, 8/20 vs Orlando, 2/12 vs New Orleans and 9/18 vs Houston) and all his other games have been 50% or higher. He is also putting up effort in rebounding and defense. He is averaging 22.3 PPG, 8 RPG and 3.8 APG in January while shooting 61.1%.

I really hope that he keeps it up. If he does then this trade was a clear win-win and I will be sad that I trade him away from my fantasy team (got an offer for Dirk, though, couldn't resist).
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    As bad as Rudy's played and as bad as the Kings are, something is telling me this will work out on the court for the Kings.

I think this is one of those weird trades that looks terrible on paper but will work out. We'll see.
    Above is from the day of the trade.

The Kings were 6-14 before Rudy and are now 7-8 after. There's still a long way to go, but I'm sticking with my prediction.

I liked the trade as well. The Kings weren't going anywhere before the trade. And Gay clearly needed a change of scenery. The Kings can be a fun team to watch. Cousins seems to be growing up. Gay is playing way better. Thomas is exciting to watch. They don't defend really. But they are fun to watch. Gotta get to more games. Saving up for good tickets for when the Pacers come to town. I don't think I'll get 4th row for $60 this year haha

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Speaking of Anthony Bennett, I haven't really watched him this year beyond games against us, where he didn't really catch my attention then, either, but what I want to know is: Is he really this bad? I mean surely he was considered to be a lottery player for a reason, right? I know he's had significant conditioning/weight issues, but as an outsider who doesn't know any details, it makes me speculate that his psyche got crushed from being the surprise #1 pick and the expectations that come with it. Surely he doesn't really suck this much, right?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Surely he doesn't really suck this much, right?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    this is why my grade goes down every time i pass to him in 2k14. i'm serious, every single time i pass to him i get told "bad pass selection."

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Speaking of Anthony Bennett, I haven't really watched him this year beyond games against us, where he didn't really catch my attention then, either, but what I want to know is: Is he really this bad? I mean surely he was considered to be a lottery player for a reason, right? I know he's had significant conditioning/weight issues, but as an outsider who doesn't know any details, it makes me speculate that his psyche got crushed from being the surprise #1 pick and the expectations that come with it. Surely he doesn't really suck this much, right?
    He really does suck this much. Bennett represents "that guy" who wins an award that others were clearly more deserving to win. Being drafted #1 overall is prestigious, and Bennett did not remotely deserve this honor. As a result, the rest of the NBA is irritated that he was the supposed best player in the draft, and are fired up to play against him
    David "And One" West

looking at all the effort and hustle he put into setting that almost half-assed screen and his weight/conditioning issues screams lazy, lazy bust of a pick.
    incredible that Cleveland really thought he was worth that #1 pick.
    his weight and effort issues will likely stick with him his whole career.
    Last edited by clownskull; 01-13-2014 at 12:34 AM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post: