Page 108 of 248 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158208 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Heinson will pass away before he retires from broadcasting.

The point of all of that was, Heinson and Gormon have been the same for 33 years. The Celtics aren't going to let them go. They're a local tradition.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heinson was CBS's lead color commentary analyst during the 80's. He did the NBA finals for 4 straight seasons (of course the Celtics played in all four of them) before they cut him loose.

He and Tom Gormon have been doing Celtics games on TV since 1981. This is their 33rd season together.
    Agreed. Gorman's one of the best PBP guys in the NBA. Heinsohn's a homer, but no worse than Bob Lamey of the Colts. He's pretty humorous to me actually.

And if you want to watch something funny, youtube Tracy Porter's interception of Peyton Manning that clinched the Super Bowl for the Saints with the Colts radio broadcast. It's awesome, and the absolute epitome of a homer announcer.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post

And if you want to watch something funny, youtube Tracy Porter's interception of Peyton Manning that clinched the Super Bowl for the Saints with the Colts radio broadcast. It's awesome, and the absolute epitome of a homer announcer.
    Wanna hear something funny? Youtube the worst sports memory of your life and have a good laugh about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    That triple-double was pretty impressive. Curry is actually a pretty good rebounder for his position despite his short wingspan and not over the top athleticism.

Yes, Curry is a good reb'r. Nelson talked about it how good a reb'r Curry was.

If that's your worst sports memory, you're either very young or you've led an extremely charmed life.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

If that's your worst sports memory, you're either very young or you've led an extremely charmed life.

You're right, losing the Super Bowl on a heartbreaking pick 6 is a pretty obscure event that most Colts fans probably don't even remember.

Oh, the horror. They just missed out on their second superbowl championship in 4 years. How do you sleep at night?

Oh, the horror. They just missed out on their second superbowl championship in 4 years. How do you sleep at night?

No, I've slept fine, but what will keep me up at night is knowing that Kstat doesn't approve of what I choose to list of my worst sports memory.

I'm probably one of the few sports fans on the planet who would rank seeing their team losing a championship game as a bad memory. Instead, I should have just doused all of my Colts friends with beer after Manning threw the pick 6.

I'm sure that Pats fans aren't haunted by the two losses to the Giants.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Like I said, either your memory doesn't extend past 2006, or you've led a remarkably charmed life.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Kyrie is fairly overrated, but man does he have a ton of crap around him.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Like I said, either your memory doesn't extend past 2006, or you've led a remarkably charmed life.
    Yes, because there have been so many legendary championship moments in Indy sports over the years, who would get upset over seeing the Colts lose the biggest game in the world?

Let me spell it out for you: Since the Pacers won their last ABA championship in 1973 (which you'd have to be about 50 to remember), the two Indy teams have a whopping one championship (Colts 06). They have played in just three championship games (00 Finals for Pacers, 06 and 09 Colts). So yeah, a small market like Indianapolis isn't exactly Boston when it comes to celebrating championships. The 09 Colts had the opportunity to win their second Super Bowl in four years. That would have put them in very elite NFL company, and would have certainly helped increased Manning's all time stature. Shockingly as a Colts fan, I actually cared about that stuff. That was one of the biggest games in Indy sports history, so it should make logical intuitive sense that it was one of the worst defeats in Indy sports history. Plus it was the last big game that Manning played for the Colts. The Colts may not get to another Super Bowl for a long time, if ever. No guarantees. When your favorite team loses the biggest game in the world, it's an upsetting defeat. And I mean upsetting from the context of being a sports fan. I'm not comparing this to real life, so there's no need for all of the "charmed life" stuff.

I'm sure that Pats fans weren't upset about missing out on the perfect complete season in 07........
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-29-2013 at 12:02 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Personally I don't like Bob Lamey all that much. No problem with him being a homer, I'm a Colts fan after all, I just don't think he calls a very good game.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

famous last words

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The all-star game should be interesting w/ how many players were/may be lost to injury. Rose, Horford (least I thought he was going to make it), Westbrook and Rondo all would've made it for sure if healthy. Kobe might not play in the game, but who knows. A guy like Beal and Anthony Davis I thought had a chance but too many injuries.

For the West, if you take the line-up of CP3, Kobe, Durant, Griffin, and Dwight as starters...frontcourt would include Duncan, Love, and Aldridge (don't think Davis still makes it). Backcourt would be Curry, Harden, Parker and Lillard. Actually quite an easy lineup now, if Kobe doesn't play, you probably put in Davis for hometown team.

The East, who the hell knows...Irving, Wade, George, Anthony, LeBron are starting 5...in backcourt the only lock I can see for sure would be John Wall, Evan Turner or MCW may make it, Afflalo may make it, Teague could make it, Lance has a decent chance. In frontcourt... Hibbert and Bosh are locks, Millsap should make it imo, I think David West has a chance of making it on reputation, I think Jeff Green has a decent chance, Drummond could be considered.

I guess my main point is that there may actually be a decent chance the Pacers have 4 all-stars, not sure how often that has ever happened in modern NBA.
    Last edited by Cactus Jax; 12-28-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

He said sports memory. The rest of his life has nothing to do with it.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dirk currently averaging 21/6/3 on 49.9/39.8/92.3 splits... unbelievable for a 35-year-old. I think there's a pretty solid case that the only players in league history that were better at that age were Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Jordan and Elgin Baylor. Maybe Karl Malone and/or Alex English too, but either way, that's a damn exclusive list.

Just taking the temperature around here.... where do you guys feel Dirk ranks in terms of the all-time greats? Top 15? 20? 30? 50?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I don't know where I'd rank Dirk, would have to put some thought into it. But last numbers I saw had him at 51% from midrange, 2nd in the league. Behind Scola's 54%. Just taking advantage of a chance to work that in there.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't know where I'd rank Dirk, would have to put some thought into it. But last numbers I saw had him at 51% from midrange, 2nd in the league. Behind Scola's 54%. Just taking advantage of a chance to work that in there.
    Where do you find numbers like that? I'd be really interested to see who else is high up on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Dirk currently averaging 21/6/3 on 49.9/39.8/92.3 splits... unbelievable for a 35-year-old. I think there's a pretty solid case that the only players in league history that were better at that age were Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Jordan and Elgin Baylor. Maybe Karl Malone and/or Alex English too, but either way, that's a damn exclusive list.

Just taking the temperature around here.... where do you guys feel Dirk ranks in terms of the all-time greats? Top 15? 20? 30? 50?

Yeah, Dirk is currently popping fadeaways as if he's playing the Heat in the 2011 Finals. It looks like his solid finish last year was a sign of good things to come this year. His knee looks healed and he is still in prime form. It's hard to believe that he's in his 16th season. I always liked his game, but that 2011 playoff performance is one of the finest individual playoff runs in NBA history. He was absolutely possessed.

We hear a lot about Kobe because of the injury. We hear a lot about KG and Pierce rotting away on that dump of a Nets team. But everyone needs to take a look at another guy from their generation who is still in prime form. I would like to see him make some noise in the playoffs this year. I wish that the Mavs supporting cast was just a little bit better.

His 2011 playoff run certainly caused him to leap frog a lot of players. I'd put him in the top 15. Insane career statistics, a unique skill set unlike any other in NBA history, and a memorable championship run in which he took out Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh. How many guys in modern years have outplayed such an impressive batch of players?
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-28-2013 at 06:04 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Dirk is a tough cat to rank. Offensively he is certainly a top 20, isn't he? I know he isn't a great defensive threat but no worse than some of the 80/90s players (McHale, Worthy, Barkley). I would put him top 30 for sure. But I don't know where to put ahead of below him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Dirk is a tough cat to rank. Offensively he is certainly a top 20, isn't he? I know he isn't a great defensive threat but no worse than some of the 80/90s players (McHale, Worthy, Barkley). I would put him top 30 for sure. But I don't know where to put ahead of below him.
    McHale was one of the most versatile defensive players ever... not a lockdown defender by any means but he could guard basically any frontcourt player in the NBA during his prime. That should count for something. Dirk was better offensively though, since he has almost unlimited shooting range.

I do think Dirk is actually a little underrated as a defender... during his prime he was actually an above-average defensive player overall, and these days he defends the post pretty well and is great at stripping players on moves to the basket. He's just never been a great help defender or shot blocker, and unfortunately there is a premium on those skills these days.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still think the brawl has to be a worse sports memory than that pick 6, i mean, it pissed me off so much i didnt watch the pacers anymore for a decent amount of time.

Losing is losing, but that transcends the bounds of what normally is hurtful in sports.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

32. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

NBATV just showed a box score graphic of the Raptors/Knicks game. I saw the name "Murry" on the Knicks and legimitately could not conjure up who this basketball player was. It turns out there is a human being named Toure Murry and he plays for the Knicks.

Also, I knew Andre Drummond was a bad free throw shooter, but he is shooting 35% this season. That is absolutely amazing.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Kinda annoying that the local blackout on nbatv lasts until exactly 9:30, regardless of when the Pacers game ends. Missed some of the postgame stuff.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

35. The Following User Says Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    NBATV just showed a box score graphic of the Raptors/Knicks game. I saw the name "Murry" on the Knicks and legimitately could not conjure up who this basketball player was. It turns out there is a human being named Toure Murry and he plays for the Knicks.

Also, I knew Andre Drummond was a bad free throw shooter, but he is shooting 35% this season. That is absolutely amazing.
    Wow, at Uconn I remember thinking he was pretty good for a big guy.

I don't know how anyone can shoot that low of a percentage.