Page 101 of 248 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

The nfl has much bigger say over who plays on NBC than the NBA does on who plays on ABC.

The NFL also doesn't wait 2 full months before televising an NBC game....

The NBA's showcase games are TNT anyway. Those are the events held for the fans. ABC games are broadcast just because ABC owns ESPN and ESPN has the contract. ABC only wants the playoff ratings.

If ABC could opt not to show any nba regular season games outside of Christmas and just broadcast playoff/finals games, they would. They most likely agreed to show a certain number of regular season games on ABC, but demanded a say in what teams they would show.

San Antonio came within one shot of winning the title last season. They are on ABC once, and they only get that game because it's a finals rematch against the heat.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-25-2013 at 11:00 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

The most exciting player to watch in the entire NBA is playing for Indiana, Lance Stephenson, and nobody can see him. Blake Griffin is old news. ABC/ESPN are morons!!!
    David "And One" West

People will watch a Rams game on ABC. They won't watch a Pacers game on ABC. It's not bad marketing, it's market economics. If people watched Pacers games then they'd put them on ten times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The nfl has much bigger say over who plays on NBC than the NBA does on who plays on ABC.

The NFL also doesn't wait 2 full months before televising an NBC game....
    The NFL is dumb as well. Andrew Luck, the best young QB since Peyton Manning, has only had ONE MNF game so far
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    The most exciting player to watch in the entire NBA is playing for Indiana, Lance Stephenson, and nobody can see him. Blake Griffin is old news. ABC/ESPN are morons!!!
    I'm with you, I think Lance is objectively the funniest player I've ever seen in the NBA.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    People will watch a Rams game on ABC. They won't watch a Pacers game on ABC. It's not bad marketing, it's market economics. If people watched Pacers games then they'd put them on ten times a year.

Plenty of people watch the Heat-Pacers on national TV. It's pretty much a proven fact that it's a good draw.

No one is saying that Pacers-Raptors should be on ABC. What we're saying is that Pacers-Heat (the NBA's marquee champion) would be a very good ratings hit on ABC.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

ABC obviously disagrees.

They aren't interested in good regular season games, or even regular season basketball in general (outside of Christmas which is a pretty big draw). They're showing these games because they're contractually obligated to.

ABC wants New York, Chicago, Miami, LA and Kevin Durant on as much as possible. If they could fill their required quota by showing the Knicks and heat practicing on an off-day, they'd do that over two smaller markets playing an actual game. That's just economics.

The pacers will probably still squeeze out a game or two next season, because they're a legit contender and George is a near-superstar. ABC will show that game kicking and screaming though, just like they probably did when the spurs were forced on them this season.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-25-2013 at 11:21 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Plenty of people watch the Heat-Pacers on national TV. It's pretty much a proven fact that it's a good draw.

No one is saying that Pacers-Raptors should be on ABC. What we're saying is that Pacers-Heat (the NBA's marquee champion) would be a very good ratings hit on ABC.
    Next season I'm sure they will show it. But this year, going off last season's playoff ratings they obviously didn't wanna jump too soon on the Pacers. They may have missed the boat by a year but I doubt it's keeping them up at night.

ABC obviously disagrees.
    There's nothing to agree/disagree over. Heat-Pacers just set a ratings record on NBA TV. Heat-Pacers Game 7 last year was TNT's third highest rated program ever. This is a matter of fact, not a matter of agreement. Whether one chooses to look at the objective evidence is another issue.

If you're two time defending champion with one of the most famous players ever can't get ratings against a team that took them to Game 7 of the ECF's, then you have a complete failure of a product. But I don't believe that to be the case. The evidence says that Heat-Pacers is a huge ratings hit. The NBA and ABC just ignore it when making the schedules. ABC has say, but they don't set the schedules. The NBA makes the schedules and has the final say. A league like the NBA doesn't just sign away its TV rights without having substantial say in who plays in the nationally televised games. These games have a huge say in how its product is perceived. They don't just sit back and let ABC schedule whoever they want.

If something like Pacers-Knicks couldn't get big ratings on ABC after last year's playoff series, then the NBA really has failed big time. I don't believe that to be the case though. I think that game would get plenty of ratings. Pacers-Bulls with the Chicago market and recent history between the teams? That would get ratings too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

You're more than welcome to write a letter of complaint to the American Broadcasting Company explaining to them how wrong they are.

And yes, this is an ABC decision, not an NBA decision. You don't see the same lopsided scheduling with ESPN or TNT. It doesn't help the NBA to cram only 5 teams into one entire major network broadcasting schedule. It's just a cheap ratings ploy by the network.

If the nba had a say, the Warriors would not have been left off. TNT and ESPN are obsessed with them, and for good reason.

You care way too much about this.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-25-2013 at 11:30 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

ABC doesn't have any interest in forecasting what will work, they only care about what did work. Network TV executives are insanely risk averse, it's the reason there are 4 different versions of CSI, NCIS and Law and Order. They looked at the markets and the ratings for last year and decided what they thought would get them the highest ratings. They were wrong, and I'm sure they don't care.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you want the Pacers on National TV (and to be honest, I couldn't give two farts that they arent playing on Christmas Day, in fact I would prefer that they NOT; let the players, employees and arena workers enjoy a day off for crying out loud), then hope to god that someone with more interest in the product gets it in the next round of broadcast rights contract negotiation instead of Disney (or hope that Adam Silver is a fan of the old NBA on NBC double/triple/quadruple header setup).
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Taj Gibson is always impressive when I get the chance to watch him. Definitely one of the more underrated players in the NBA.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    Taj Gibson is always impressive when I get the chance to watch him. Definitely one of the more underrated players in the NBA.
    Yeah, I agree. I've always thought Gibson was a solid player. Good defensively, solid offensively--really, about as good of a third big as any in the league. Hell, I think he's better than the Booz Cruz.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I've always thought Gibson was a solid player. Good defensively, solid offensively--really, about as good of a third big as any in the league. Hell, I think he's better than the Booz Cruz.
    Expanding on this a little...I hate the Bulls. I hate their fans, and Lord knows I would never root for them to win a title...but you have to feel for their fans. Two years ago you had Derrick Rose in his prime at a MVP level, home court throughout the playoffs, a big man rotation of Noah, Boozer, Gibson, and Asik. Solid top to bottom, great defensive team. That injury to Rose really killed them. Now they are in purgatory. It would be like us securing the #1 seed this year and (Heaven forbid) Paul George blows an ACL in the first round.

You're more than welcome to write a letter of complaint to the American Broadcasting Company explaining to them how wrong they are.
    I am sure that there's all ready been some harsh internal memos shared among ABC execs about who made these bad scheduling decisions and how.

You are right in that it is all about economics, and economics is all about ratings, and the ratings for televised Pacers games so far have been so outstanding that one can conclude that most NBA fans are, relatively, very interested in watching them play and feel that they are underexposed.

I'd guess that the ratings for Nets and Knicks games will be abysmal.

As to whether we care too much or not, personally I don't care much at all. I will watch every Pacers game I can. I am a diehard. The only mildly annoying part is that there are a lot of people who don't pay attention to the NBA on a regular basis this early in the season, that don't commit the standings to memory, that don't get league pass, that now and then watch the national TV "marquee matchups" and those people are unaware that Indiana is having an exceptional season. Seems a shame. Based on the ratings, it also seems like stupid planning / marketing. I am sure that lots of ABC bigwigs will think the same if today's ratings are horrid. Do they then care way too much?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I am sure that there's all ready been some harsh internal memos shared among ABC execs about who made these bad scheduling decisions and how.

You are right in that it is all about economics, and economics is all about ratings, and the ratings for televised Pacers games so far have been so outstanding that one can conclude that most NBA fans are, relatively, very interested in watching them play and feel that they are underexposed.

I'd guess that the ratings for Nets and Knicks games will be abysmal.

As to whether we care too much or not, personally I don't care much at all. I will watch every Pacers game I can. I am a diehard. The only mildly annoying part is that there are a lot of people who don't pay attention to the NBA on a regular basis this early in the season, that don't commit the standings to memory, that don't get league pass, that now and then watch the national TV "marquee matchups" and those people are unaware that Indiana is having an exceptional season. Seems a shame. Based on the ratings, it also seems like stupid planning / marketing. I am sure that lots of ABC bigwigs will think the same if today's ratings are horrid. Do they then care way too much?
    They will fire the people responsible, then hire new people that will make the exact same decision next season.

Welcome to broadcast TV. King Tut's comment bout broadcast execs being risk-averse is spot-on. Sponsors like certainty, and by extension so do the networks. CBS is the blandest most conservative network out there and they dominate the other networks like Jordan's Bulls.

The ABC exec's logic is this: even if the bulls and lakers have a worse year than expected, Chicago and LA aren't going to get any smaller. But if Indiana has a surprisingly terrible season, there's nothing to fall back on.

The pacers need to be a mortal lock contender (like the spurs and thunder) before ABC puts them on tv.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-25-2013 at 01:54 PM.

I take it back. Watching the nets getting booed off of their own floor on Christmas Day makes this game worth it. That was awesome.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-25-2013 at 01:54 PM.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

to the games... my God how can I watch these horrid Nets.

I turned the remote control over to my teenaged daughters who begged to watch the Kardashians marathon. That is some awful TV, but I can't argue that it's a big step down from watching the Nyets lose by 25 at home, with no effort, to another awful team.

I had been about to turn to the Man-vs-Food marathon anyway.

I can always go to one of my other TVs, but why? Crap basketball is not entertaining. Jason Terry's sock are interesting, but that is about it.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-25-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

It is when it's so bad that it becomes comedy. The nets fall into that category.

When mike dunleavy and DJ Augustin are clowning people, that is must see tv. I want to see how bad this train wreck gets.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-25-2013 at 02:02 PM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

The bulls have been awesome in this game. They're dialed in. And that makes the nets look even worse than usual.

I take it back. Watching the nets getting booed off of their own floor on Christmas Day makes this game worth it. That was awesome.

Let's just hope that this is only round 1 of it. The only thing funnier than this would be watching the Thunder beat the Knicks by 30 in front of a booing MSG crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Let's just hope that this is only round 1 of it. The only thing funnier than this would be watching the Thunder beat the Knicks by 30 in front of a booing MSG crowd.
    Carmelo is inactive today for the Knicks, so this is actually possible.

Knicks fans will not get out-booed in their own city. This is a matter of pride.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Banned

Brooklyn should pull the trigger on the proposed deal they had with Houston bringing Lin back to NY at least can make them fun to watch.

Over/under for JR Smith's shot attempts in this game is 32.