Page 207 of 248 FirstFirst ... 107157197203204205206207208209210211217 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,175 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

I know the Pellies are bad, but that kid's a superstar

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Anthony Davis will be the best player in the league sooner rather than later.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They absolutely have not called it consistently since the All Star Break. First 3 months of the year, yes, very consistent, but as most officiating emphasis' go, they stop being enforced as much as the season drags on.
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a rule. Been called all year.

Did he touch the ball? Okay then.

Even if you don't like the rule (and I do), it's still a rule and the players know it is a rule.
    How can you like a rule that gives a Technical foul to a player for helping the ref by tossing him the ball?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    How can you like a rule that gives a Technical foul to a player for helping the ref by tossing him the ball?
    You don't get it.

The NBA does not want players to "help." There is no room for interpretation. You do not catch or tap the basketball. Period.

Players have "helped" in the past by "accidentally throwing the ball too hard or too high over a ref's head. The nba has taken intent out the equation. It's a simple rule.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

owl

You don't get it.

The NBA does not want players to "help." There is no room for interpretation. You do not catch or tap the basketball. Period.

Players have "helped" in the past by "accidentally throwing the ball too hard or too high over a ref's head. The nba has taken intent out the equation. It's a simple rule.
    So now they give out technical fouls in close games for attempting to help the refs? I don't care why they do it, its dumb that you are given a technical foul in a close game for tossing the ball to the ref, not over his head, not too hard at him, right to him, and he gets a tech

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

They should change the rule to where a player can only touch the ball if they give it directly to the ref. It is slowing the game down if the ref has to go get it. I'm watching NBA TV and Brent Barry also dislikes the rule.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

I like the rule and I'm glad they emphasized it this year. Guys were going overboard the last couple years grabbing the ball after a made basket, walking two steps then casually lobbing it in the direction of the baseline.

I'd prefer they not give give techs for what Dwight did today because they've been letting it go recently if it's just a little tap to the ref. Grabbing the ball is usually always a warning, and I think Paul George got on in the Piston game for doing that.

Going forward I hope they kind of go by the sprit of the law and not gives techs for what Dwight did, but by the letter of the law it is a tech so it's hard to complain.

Donald Sloan was on a plane late Sunday afternoon. If he was flying to Indy, maybe he'll be available tonight.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

So now they give out technical fouls in close games for attempting to help the refs? I don't care why they do it, its dumb that you are given a technical foul in a close game for tossing the ball to the ref, not over his head, not too hard at him, right to him, and he gets a tech
    Oh? So now we want referees to whistle intent? What about balls just a little too fast or just barely out of his reach?

How about not trying to help out the referees like you were instructed.Twice.

There is no penalty for the first violation. You only get a technical for doing it twice.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Oh? So now we want referees to whistle intent?
    I do, and recently they have been.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    I do, and recently they have been.
    its been called less because players have stopped doing it. The only intent being judged is whether or not a ball has been purposely touched.

its been called less because players have stopped doing it. The only intent being judged is whether or not a ball has been purposely touched.
    I watch a ton of games (and I'm sure you do too) and I still see the ball tapped often. Grabbed and tossed I see far less, which I like.

I watch a ton of games (and I'm sure you do too) and I still see the ball tapped often. Grabbed and tossed I see far less, which I like.
    You can tap the ball so long as you're not doing it intentionally. Sometimes it deflects off of a fingertip and refs don't call it, and that's fine.

I'm just not seeing the obvious taps let go.

You can tap the ball so long as you're not doing it intentionally. Sometimes it deflects off of a fingertip and refs don't call it, and that's fine.

I'm just not seeing the obvious taps let go.
    Dwight's was on the heavy side because he did give it some force, which is why I didn't mind that he got the tech. Like I said before, I prefer they just let it go there (and not because I want Miami to lose, all things considered I'm probably the biggest Heat fan on this board), but it was right on the edge.

I feel like I still see taps like that quite often with no delay of game called. Anyone else seeing this or am I overstating it?

I feel like I still see taps like that quite often with no delay of game called. Anyone else seeing this or am I overstating it?
    Not at all. They were calling every tap at the beginning of the season, but the refs haven't been calling them consistently for at least 30 games. There have been plenty of intentional taps that went uncalled. In fact, only incredibly blatant violations (like David West catching it and throwing to the ref) have been called on the Pacers lately.

I think the league realized how bad the rule was, and I imagine they'll do away with it as soon as they can.

Yes, it is dumb. But dumb on Dwight's part. The reason the rule is a delay of game penalty, instead of a straight technical, is to let teams make a dumb play once without penalty. But if they keep doing it, then it is tech.

. . . I feel like I still see taps like that quite often with no delay of game called. Anyone else seeing this or am I overstating it?
    Taps like Dwight's have been called 99% of the time. Accidental taps and cases where the ball bounces into a guy don't get called as much. Dwight's was pretty blatant. If you watch games from now on, I bet you will see stuff like that called every time.

Sounds like the rule they implemented to cut down in players complaining about calls. Did they scale that one back or are they just not enforcing it like they did early?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are the posters defending the technical defending it because they think the rule is a good one or because it's simply the rule? That call will never be made in the NBA Finals, and that's the sole reason why it should be scraped to begin with. The NBA would have a huge problem on it's hands if something like that had a impact in the Finals.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

God, Rondo is one of a kind:

So dirty, so effective. How many centers *wouldn't* bite on that fake?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    God, Rondo is one of a kind:

So dirty, so effective. How many centers *wouldn't* bite on that fake?
    There have to be thousands of kids working on that move on the playground, right? Have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Sounds like the rule they implemented to cut down in players complaining about calls. Did they scale that one back or are they just not enforcing it like they did early?
    IIRC, the rule was made to stop teams like Miami and San Antonio from tapping the ball to the official every made basket. That extra tap allowed the defensive team more time to get back down court and disrupted the chances of a 'made basket fast break.' Paul used to do this almost every basket. He would catch the ball and turn around and gently teardrop the ball to the official who then has to catch it and toss it to the other team to inbound. By that time, the Indy defense is back and able to set up. Guys were doing this every possession. The league decided the only way to stop it is make a hard and fast rule against touching the ball after a made basket by the defensive team. Most guys get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Are the posters defending the technical defending it because they think the rule is a good one or because it's simply the rule? That call will never be made in the NBA Finals, and that's the sole reason why it should be scraped to begin with. The NBA would have a huge problem on it's hands if something like that had a impact in the Finals.
    It is a good rule. Mostly because the alternative is having guys like LeBron and Paul take the ball out of the basket and stop any chance of a quick play. Remember, it is a delay of game penalty. To get a tech, you have to be stupid enough to do it twice. The officials have been pretty good about incidental touches. To get a call, you have to do something like Dwight did that was pretty blatant.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    There have to be thousands of kids working on that move on the playground, right? Have to be.
    You need some pretty freakishly large hands to pull that off.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Who didn't use that on the court growing up?? It's a play ground move nothing earth shattering IMO

33. The Following User Says Thank You to MiaDragon For This Useful Post: