Page 206 of 248 FirstFirst ... 106156196202203204205206207208209210216 ... LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

  1. #5126
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,424

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Wow that game was hard to watch. Houston out-played Miami and yet they lost
    David "And One" West

  2. #5127
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,739

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beverly didn't even give a hard foul. The delay was a home because he actually sped up the game by giving the ref the ball, no matter the rule.
    That's like goaltending a shot and giving the excuse that the guy probably would have missed it anyway.

    What if he threw it too hard and the ref fumbled it into the stands?

    Don't touch the ball at all. It's that simple.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  3. #5128
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Miami outflopped Houston today

  4. #5129

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jeremy Lin coughs up 24 points to a 38 year old shooting guard, and the refs are the reason Miami won...
    Jeremy Lin is terrible though. I'm not even gonna lie, he is.

  5. #5130
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,436

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Houston still has some growing to do as a team. They went from ball movement to chucking up bad threes.

  6. #5131

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Well if your jersey says heat on it flop and drop you'll get the calls

  7. #5132
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,436

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's like goaltending a shot and giving the excuse that the guy probably would have missed it anyway.

    What if he threw it too hard and the ref fumbled it into the stands?

    Don't touch the ball at all. It's that simple.
    I'll go with van Gundy on this one. It isn't like the 3 heat players who stood there watching it bounce before he tapped it were in any hurry to get the ball in play. Not going to lose sleep over it.

  8. #5133
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Would really like to know what the rockets record is in close game decided by 5 points or less. I bet it's terrible cause as soon as the Heat got to a 3 point lead their answer was to chuck up 3 point shot after 3 point shot when you have Dwight Freaking Howard. Stuff like that should be considered a crime against humanity especially when you're going up against the little people of the Heat.

  9. #5134
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,436

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by granger4mvp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well if your jersey says heat on it flop and drop you'll get the calls
    I disagree actually. There were a couple calls the heat did not get.

  10. #5135
    The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carmel, IN/Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    471

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's like goaltending a shot and giving the excuse that the guy probably would have missed it anyway.

    What if he threw it too hard and the ref fumbled it into the stands?

    Don't touch the ball at all. It's that simple.
    It's a stupid rule that isn't called consistently. The fact that it probably changed the result of the game is even more frustrating.


    Carmel HS Class of 2011

  11. #5136
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,739

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a stupid rule that isn't called consistently. The fact that it probably changed the result of the game is even more frustrating.
    It's absolutely called consistently, and no it is not a stupid rule.

    It's only frustrating because you really wanted Miami to lose. If it went against Miami nobody here would be complaining.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  13. #5137
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Surely Houston could've put someone in besides Lin late. He was atrocious defensively.

  14. #5138

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree actually. There were a couple calls the heat did not get.
    I'm not just talking about today these guys get those calls all season it's becoming a joke

  15. #5139

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's absolutely called consistently, and no it is not a stupid rule.

    It's only frustrating because you really wanted Miami to lose. If it went against Miami nobody here would be complaining.
    some strong reasoning here.

  16. #5140
    The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carmel, IN/Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    471

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    So this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4sQp4c0Du9...ow/s1600/1.gif

    getting called for a technical is good in your book? Not sure how you figure.


    Carmel HS Class of 2011

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:


  18. #5141
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,739

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4sQp4c0Du9...ow/s1600/1.gif

    getting called for a technical is good in your book? Not sure how you figure.
    It's a rule. Been called all year.

    Did he touch the ball? Okay then.

    Even if you don't like the rule (and I do), it's still a rule and the players know it is a rule.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  19. #5142
    The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carmel, IN/Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    471

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a rule. Been called all year.

    Did he touch the ball? Okay then.

    Even if you don't like the rule (and I do), it's still a rule and the players know it is a rule.
    I think this sort of stubbornness is silly. If this is the sort of situation that warrants a technical, than the rule is absolutely counterintuitive. Dwight touching the ball probably sped the game up by a quarter of a second, and at most delayed it around that much. Calling a violation for that is incredibly idiotic.

    I also think there is no way you can say that this rule is consistently called. You'd have to go back and look at every inbounds play. I am almost certain that I see it done plenty of times, and don't think twice about it despite knowing it's a rule. While obviously I can't say for certain, its just as impossible to say for certain that it is always called.


    Carmel HS Class of 2011

  20. #5143
    The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carmel, IN/Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    471

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Incidentially, I think this could also be interpreted as not in violation of the rule...

    When it comes to live ball/after the field goal situations.
    Section II--Delay-of-Game A delay-of-game shall be called for
    Preventing the ball from being promptly put into play.
    Interfering with the ball after a successful field goal.
    .
    I don't think what Dwight did was interfering with the ball. Obviously it is a judgement call a ref makes, but again, my opinion of such a judgement being necessary has been stated.


    Carmel HS Class of 2011

  21. #5144
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,739

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Incidentially, I think this could also be interpreted as not in violation of the rule...



    I don't think what Dwight did was interfering with the ball. Obviously it is a judgement call a ref makes, but again, my opinion of such a judgement being necessary has been stated.
    From the nba director of officiating...

    http://www.nba.com/2013/news/10/24/ask-donnie-q-and-a/
    Great observation. This season you will notice a change in how we enforce the delay of game penalty based on conversations with the Competition Committee. It's not a "no-touch" provision, but players will no longer be permitted to direct the ball after it clears the net. Going forward, an offensive player who catches the ball after a made basket and passes it to a referee will receive a delay of game warning (if team's first delay) or a delay of game penalty if it's their second.
    But what does he know?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  22. #5145
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,377

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the nba director of officiating...

    http://www.nba.com/2013/news/10/24/ask-donnie-q-and-a/


    But what does he know?
    So did they already do this once during the game earlier for it to be a more than a warning? If so then the call is absolutely justified. Tacky, but still legit. I mean if the refs give you a warning each game, there is no reason to do it twice in one game. Houston wilted down the stretch regardless of the questionable foul calls.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  23. #5146
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,739

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So did they already do this once during the game earlier for it to be a more than a warning? If so then the call is absolutely justified. Tacky, but still legit. I mean if the refs give you a warning each game, there is no reason to do it twice in one game. Houston wilted down the stretch regardless of the questionable foul calls.
    It's a delay of game penalty. That part has never been changed. One warning, then a tech.

    Houston got their first warning 6 minutes into the game.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-16-2014 at 06:02 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  24. #5147
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this sort of stubbornness is silly. If this is the sort of situation that warrants a technical, than the rule is absolutely counterintuitive. Dwight touching the ball probably sped the game up by a quarter of a second, and at most delayed it around that much. Calling a violation for that is incredibly idiotic.

    I also think there is no way you can say that this rule is consistently called. You'd have to go back and look at every inbounds play. I am almost certain that I see it done plenty of times, and don't think twice about it despite knowing it's a rule. While obviously I can't say for certain, its just as impossible to say for certain that it is always called.
    It has been a point of emphasis all year really no excuse for you to touch the ball this late in the season. It should be ingrained by now.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  26. #5148
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,739

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It has been a point of emphasis all year really no excuse for you to touch the ball this late in the season. It should be ingrained by now.
    Yep. I once saw this called five times in one game. Anyone that thinks there hasn't been a clear emphasis on this hasn't been paying attention.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  27. #5149
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,059
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Yeah they mention(ed) it numerous times on the Pacer broadcasts, especially early on in the season.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  28. #5150
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,436

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    With all I said evidence, I retract my statement about the delay T. Houston will not go far unless teams give them a game like we did earlier this year. They do not play smart.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •