Page 165 of 248 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175215 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Once they get a new GM I think they should go for Lionel Hollins. That guy would be really go for that group.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By most accounts this move came from above Joe's head, though if things don't turn around Joe won't have a job next season either.
    He shouldn't have a job NOW.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Once they get a new GM I think they should go for Lionel Hollins. That guy would be really go for that group.
    Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 1m

The pitch for Lionel Hollins as new Pistons coach will be made, I'm told, & it's a good one. Tough, smart leader could help disjointed group

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ok, if they get Hollins I'm okay with this. Instant upgrade.

If they finish the season with a current assistant, I won't be.

And SHeed isn't the head coach type, so doubtful he's even a candidate.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Monroe a better fit next to drummond than smith? What drugs are you on?

Monroe should have been coming off the bench months ago. He can't defend for **** and it's killed us a lot more than Smith's threes.
    It's getting awfully lonely on the Josh Smith bandwagon, isn't it?

The facts are he's on pace to have one of the worst shooting seasons in NBA history. http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...-worst-shooter

Of the players in the top 100 in 3 point attempts (Smith is tied for 54th), Smith has the worst percentage. http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...false/count/81 In fact, you have to go 160th overall (Tobias Harris) to find a player with a worse percentage than Smith. I'm not even accounting for his long 2's. And he'd be doing this same crap at PF, because he did it last year in Atlanta. He's a net negative offensively.

And he's overrated defensively. In fact, according to advanced statistics at basketball reference and synergy, he's not much better than Monroe. I'd trade him to Charlotte for Ben Gordon and our pick back, and I'd trade him to Cleveland for Luol Deng. I'd also consider a lot of other trades that would provide salary cap flexibility and give the team better chemistry and fit on the court.

On the positive end, he has played better the past couple of weeks, and Drummond would probably average about 2 less offensive rebounds a game without Smith jacking up bad outside shots.

But hey, you keep using the eye test. Joe Dumars does, and look how well that's turned out.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Yep, Smith is a terrible 3-point shooter. Not enough reason to play monroe at the 4 ahead of him.

And if you think Monroe is anywhere near Smith defensively, well there's no arguing with a crazy person....

Smith has 154 combined blocks/steals this season. Monroe has 70. He's averaging 0.4 blocks per game. This is a near 7-foot human being that plays around the rim.

If you put Smith at PF next to Monroe, his efficiency improves dramatically. If you put Monroe on the 1996 Chicago Bulls, he still won't be able to shoot, dominate in the post or defend anybody at all.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-09-2014 at 01:01 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 6s

Former NBA coach Lionel Hollins is very interested in Pistons head coach opening, but has not been contacted yet, a source said.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

if Hollins is brought in and can get Smith to adhere to a Randolph low block post player, then Monroe is expendable.

Jettison him for Waiters on a sign and trade and get some of their picks. Cleveland would do that.

Yep, Smith is a terrible 3-point shooter. Not enough reason to play monroe at the 4 ahead of him.

And if you think Monroe is anywhere near Smith defensively, well there's no arguing with a crazy person....

Smith has 154 combined blocks/steals this season. Monroe has 70. He's averaging 0.4 blocks per game. This is a near 7-foot human being that plays around the rim.

If you put Smith at PF next to Monroe, his efficiency improves dramatically. If you put Monroe on the 1996 Chicago Bulls, he still won't be able to shoot, dominate in the post or defend anybody at all.
    Except his efficiency won't improve dramatically. Here's an article that spells out how Smith is essentially the same player at PF this season than he is at SF. http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2014/1...smith-sf-vs-pf

And here's basketball reference's Josh Smith page, which basically outlines how he did the same thing in Atlanta last season, where 75% of his minutes came at PF. http://www.basketball-reference.com/...smithjo03.html

For comparison's sake, Greg Monroe is a player with strengths and weaknesses who plays to his strengths. Josh Smith is a player with strengths and weaknesses who plays to his weaknesses. Trading Greg Monroe because you signed Josh Smith (Dion Waiters??? AYFKM) would be akin to trading Arron Afflalo because you signed Ben Gordon.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Except his efficiency won't improve dramatically. Here's an article that spells out how Smith is essentially the same player at PF this season than he is at SF. http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2014/1...smith-sf-vs-pf
    ...he averages 5 more points, double the blocks, nearly double the rebounds and double the FTAs playing at PF per-36.

You didn't read that article at all....

Also, I'd like to see Smith's numbers at PF next to Drummond (a much better fit) rather than Monroe (plodding non-shot blocker that everyone has to protect defensively).
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-09-2014 at 01:41 PM.

According to Adrian Wojnarowski, John Loyer will coach the Pistons the remainder of the season.
    UncleBuck:

According to Adrian Wojnarowski, John Loyer will coach the Pistons the remainder of the season.
    Not happy with this if true, but not entirely convinced it is. The timing makes no sense.

Mood

"George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Might as well fire Dumars now.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Central division is in such Turmoil.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

I also want to comment that the Lakers - Bulls game has motivated me to switch between golf and the Olympics. Nice job, NBA and ABC!!!
    UncleBuck:

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

The only reason I still have it on is for the inevitable JVG vs Steve Javie on-air fight.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    The only reason I still have it on is for the inevitable JVG vs Steve Javie on-air fight.
    Yea, I'm playing Rift and listening to them. I'm waiting for it, Javie took a jab at JVG a few minutes ago. LOL

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

It seems the most dysfunctional franchises start at the top, with the owner. Cleveland can't do anything right, and neither can Detroit, New York, or Charlotte (until this season).

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    It seems the most dysfunctional franchises start at the top, with the owner. Cleveland can't do anything right, and neither can Detroit, New York, or Charlotte (until this season).
    I still keeping waiting for the other shoe to drop with the Clippers. Although having Adam Silver hand the NBA title to Donald Sterling might be the most unbelievable thing that's ever happened in sports.
    UncleBuck:

Mood

I also want to comment that the Lakers - Bulls game has motivated me to switch between golf and the Olympics. Nice job, NBA and ABC!!!
    Umass @ Rhode Island is a pretty good game. I would recommend it over the other two

I am not abandoning the Kendall Marshall bandwagon yet. He makes some really nice plays. And he's apparently shooting 48% from 3 point range; funky release be damned.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I am not abandoning the Kendall Marshall bandwagon yet. He makes some really nice plays. And he's apparently shooting 48% from 3 point range; funky release be damned.
    He barley qualifies for 3pt, that isn't a bad thing he is only taking open 3s which is very good. Sadly he fits the Lakers team they collectively play no defense.

I still don't like him, and I will admit I will probably never like him. Jose Calderon is a good pg, but personally I wouldn't want him as my starting pg. I guess it is just personal preference in play style, and what I think wins.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    He barley qualifies for 3pt, that isn't a bad thing he is only taking open 3s which is very good. Sadly he fits the Lakers team they collectively play no defense.

I still don't like him, and I will admit I will probably never like him. Jose Calderon is a good pg, but personally I wouldn't want him as my starting pg. I guess it is just personal preference in play style, and what I think wins.
    Oh lord no I don't want him on the Pacers, and I definitely don't think he is a guy who is starting on a good team, but there's a place in the league for him. I just want him in the NBA and getting minutes because I selfishly enjoy watching him play.