Page 159 of 248 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169209 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by The Future View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would probably lead to more fouls in a game and slow the game down a lot...
    I don't know about that. I think they'd be very reluctant to foul after 5 fouls. Each foul is one free throw for the opponent, plus they could also foul in the act of shooting or the team could be in the penalty, resulting in 2 additional free throws.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I feel like nobody should ever foul out in the NBA. Just start giving them technicals on the sixth personal foul all the time for everybody.
    I've never liked that idea. That would mean that star players would never foul out, they could just keep playing until the final buzzer. Some bench players would play much less, if at all. You could probably shorten rosters to 12 players and just dress 10. Teams that able to draw fouls from star players would never reap the rewards of their efforts because star players would never be forced to go to the bench. Some teams only have a chance of beating the better teams if they can get a few of their opponents players in foul trouble. Seems like having unlimited fouls would also be detrimental to competition.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On ESPN's front page right now there is a glorious headline that states the following: "Pelicans set to play in Smoothie King Center". Oddly fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I've never liked that idea. That would mean that star players would never foul out, they could just keep playing until the final buzzer. Some bench players would play much less, if at all. You could probably shorten rosters to 12 players and just dress 10. Teams that able to draw fouls from star players would never reap the rewards of their efforts because star players would never be forced to go to the bench. Some teams only have a chance of beating the better teams if they can get a few of their opponents players in foul trouble. Seems like having unlimited fouls would also be detrimental to competition.
    I'm all for keeping stars from being eliminated from games due to foul trouble. Past that, I don't think it'll be very different. You could even make it so that if it's the first half the technicals start with the 4th personal, but with the 6th if it's the second half. Stars also sit due to fatigue, remember. I don't think it'd alter rotations a ton.

I'm all for keeping stars from being eliminated from games due to foul trouble. Past that, I don't think it'll be very different. You could even make it so that if it's the first half the technicals start with the 4th personal, but with the 6th if it's the second half. Stars also sit due to fatigue, remember. I don't think it'd alter rotations a ton.
    I think that it def has the possibility to alter rotations, specifically in the first half... For instance, the other night in BLF vs the Suns, DWest gets two quick fouls in the first two minutes... There is no real risk in leaving West in the game if the consequence leads to technicals... You have to take him out with the traditional scoring of fouls so you might have him for the second half...

Yeah, that would be preserving the normal rotations that everybody in the building wants to see. I think that's a good thing. I'm just saying it doesn't mean star players are going to average 45 minutes a game.

you gotta throw Oden out for that

Yeah, that would be preserving the normal rotations that everybody in the building wants to see. I think that's a good thing. I'm just saying it doesn't mean star players are going to average 45 minutes a game.
    I get that, but it potentially negates mistakes and poor play of a team... I mean, if you want to preserve normal rotations, then why count fouls at all... I think that this also negates some of advantages/disadvantage of having a good/bad coach

So it can't be what I'm suggesting unless we go further to the extreme with it?

No, not at all... But if you want to preserve the rotations, then the foul becomes less important that what it means currently... I simply think that it would be unwise to make a rule just to preserve rotations... I believe that it is an intregal part of the game to be able to adjust when foul trouble arises...

Let me ask why you think that the fouls are counted?? I believe that it to give more importance to the in game planning and helps to further provide a reason to not foul...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Don't tell me this isn't a shot at the Pacers...
    @qandrews9428

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    No, not at all... But if you want to preserve the rotations, then the foul becomes less important that what it means currently... I simply think that it would be unwise to make a rule just to preserve rotations... I believe that it is an intregal part of the game to be able to adjust when foul trouble arises...

Let me ask why you think that the fouls are counted?? I believe that it to give more importance to the in game planning and helps to further provide a reason to not foul...
    It's not about changing a rule for the sake of preserving rotations. That might be a side effect, though.

I believe fouls are counted to discourage too many fouls. I believe this could be done in better ways. Possibly by doing what I've suggested, possibly by doing something else.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

What are your guys' thoughts on Anthony Bennett? He had a 14 point half earlier this week and a 14 pt game on 40% shooting tonight and now a lot of the riff raff here in cleveland are ready to remove the bust label. i still don't buy it.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    What are your guys' thoughts on Anthony Bennett? He had a 14 point half earlier this week and a 14 pt game on 40% shooting tonight and now a lot of the riff raff here in cleveland are ready to remove the bust label. i still don't buy it.
    Against the worst defense in the NBA he shot 40% ? :/

that'd be a nice lineup

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

It's not about changing a rule for the sake of preserving rotations. That might be a side effect, though.

I believe fouls are counted to discourage too many fouls. I believe this could be done in better ways. Possibly by doing what I've suggested, possibly by doing something else.
    To each their own... I dont mind the current scoring of fouls... I admit that it can possibly change the course of a game for a team in an adverse way, and it does on occasion... But there are many factors that can and do as well... I dont think that it happens enough to warrant changes...

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

that'd be a nice lineup
    Seems nice, though I don't see Lillard or Wall as major dunkers, or I guess I never liked the whole bit about this dunk scores more for a shorter player thing. Just looking at this, George and Ross should dominate, and if it's fan vote still, I think PG has it in the bag.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

If anything I would like to see the charge call more narrow. For example if an offensive player is already in the air, he shouldn't be called for a charge. Also big guys who go towards the basket, and some small guard takes a "charge." Of course the small guard is always going to fall down.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So yeah...the Boogie Cousins vs Mike Dunleavy hatred is real lol.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

In the 90s, games were more physical. Flagrant foul calls were eventually added to the game. The game progressed, but with even more flopping to help sell "fouls" than ever before.

If it's purity of the game we want, keep the flagrant foul system, REDUCE fouls to 5 per game, and liberally begin calling flopping on reviews, only with a $25k fine. If that doesn't do it, begin assessing technical fouls for flopping.

I feel like nobody should ever foul out in the NBA. Just start giving them technicals on the sixth personal foul all the time for everybody.
    I would be in favor of that. Does an offensive line get disqualified if they commit too many holding penalties? No of course not, so I have never understood why a basketball player can foul out. I would be in favor of allowing players to committ as many fouls as they want and not access technicals. .

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

I think go a step further and after 5 fouls give the team getting fouled 1 point and retain possession, then maybe after the 7th foul they get 2 points and retain possession.

The reason for the automatic points instead of free throws is due to the fact that dominant centers and forwards that are horrible at free throws would be getting hacked all game long. Who cares if you get a technical and they get free throws, if they are horrible at free throws and you can't foul out then you would just hack away.

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post

Don't tell me this isn't a shot at the Pacers...

As far as basketball is concerned, Lebron is kind of right. History shows time and time again that elite offense wins championships. Sure, having a great defense can get you far and most championship teams have great defenses, but history has shown time and time again that having a special elite offensive player is what leads to a trophy in June.

12-13: Lebron
    11: Dirk
    09-10: Kobe
    08: Pierce/Big 3
    99,03,05,07: Duncan
    06: Wade
    04: Glaring exception with the 2004 Pistons
    00-02: Shaq/Kobe
    91-93, 96-98: Jordan
    94-95: Hakeem

Then you had the 80's Celtics with Bird and the 80's Lakers and Magic. I could go on and on. NBA championship history has been very consistent over the last three decades. Having an elite offensive player who cannot be guarded is what pushes teams over the top in June. Defense may win championships in football, but offense wins championships in the NBA. Most of the teams I listed were great defensive teams too, but the majority of teams who go far in the playoffs can play great defense since a lot about defense is effort. It's the offensive skill that makes the difference most of the time. You cannot effort your way into elite offense.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The Spurs teams, the Bulls teams with Jordan, and Hakeem's teams were also elite defensively too, though (edit, I see you mentioned that too).

I'd say you ought to be top 10 in both offense and defense, with a all-NBA level star to bail you out when needed.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

I always say this. You have to be one of the top defensive teams. And you have to be able to get stops late in close games. You also have to be one of the better offensive teams, and you must without any doubt be able to score late in close playoff games.

But if someone put a gun to my head and said you could either have the top rated defensive team in the NBA and have lets say the 8th best offensive team, or you could have the 8th best defensive team and the best offensive team. If I had to choose one or the other - everything else being equal and not knowing other factors. I would take the top ranted defensive team. I think that would give you a better chance at winning a championship.

Beyond all that, I always figure the best player wins the championship most of the time. (it seems though that the best player is also on a good defensvie and offensive team, funny how that usually works)