Page 139 of 237 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,475 of 5915

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What happened to negative Nancy?
    Nancy got buried in the snow insisting that there was no way it would ever accumulate enough to cover her face.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Bravo to the Wizards staff for this gem of a promotion they ran last night:

4. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Dallas has been on a little roll lately. Unfortunately, they are still only the 7 seed since the West is so tough. As long as they get in, I think they could be a bit difficult to handle since Dirk is playing out of his mind this season.

That was a devastating loss for the Mavs. They were leading 123-106 with 4:48 left in the game and ended up losing 127-129.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    did anyone watch the Clippers come back from 17 down with 4:48 to go in the 4th? Must have been amazing. Next time a pacers fan complains about Frank leaving the starters in with a similar lead, I will say what about the Clippers coming back from 17 down with 4:48 to play

This ing team.... jesus. We need to add some defenders.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

did anyone watch the Clippers come back from 17 down with 4:48 to go in the 4th? Must have been amazing. Next time a pacers fan complains about Frank leaving the starters in with a similar lead, I will say what about the Clippers coming back from 17 down with 4:48 to play
    Wizards game
    I complain when the other team clears their bench. We call timeout and have a 22 point lead with 3 minutes to play. Watson and Scola are the only bench players out there. Watson, George, Hibbert, Scola, and Lance.

At 2:40 Butler and Copeland come in. At 2:19 then he clears the bench by putting Sloan, Ian, and Johnson in the game.

22 points against a team who couldn't score and cleared their bench is completely different than almost 5 minutes with the other team playing their starters.

Vogel does a lot of great things. He over plays his starters.

But he did really well against the Kings. The starters got a lot of rest, after a long layoff. Monitoring your starters minutes in blowouts against sub-par teams is not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Smits Happens View Post
    Bravo to the Wizards staff for this gem of a promotion they ran last night:

absolutely brilliant.

Apparently HoopsWorld.com shut down. They're redirecting to HoopsHype.

A message from USA TODAY Sports

HOOPSWORLD fans,

As of January 15th, HOOPSWORLD has closed its doors. We have brought you to HoopsHype, the web’s best resource for NBA rumors, free agent news, and salary data. We’re confident you’re going to like what you see here.

On behalf of the USA TODAY Sports NBA team, we’d like to thank you for your support of HOOPSWORLD.

For the latest NBA news from the USA TODAY team, follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Bulls fans seem to think Mike Dunleavy would be a great fit were he traded to a contending team. Am I missing something? He couldn't possibly be the final piece on a contender
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo

I watched it. I felt that the Clippers got every call down the stretch but I do have a soft spot for Nowitzki so I could be biased. It was a very chippy game and the spark was ignited by a Darren Collison 3 followed by a flagrant on Griffin (arguable, imo). The final call on Crawford for the game-winning FTs seemed arguable to me as well but as I said I could be biased.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Bulls fans seem to think Mike Dunleavy would be a great fit were he traded to a contending team. Am I missing something? He couldn't possibly be the final piece on a contender
    Any fan that wants to do a Salary Dump will always think that their Player will always be a great fit on a Contending Team.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Any fan that wants to do a Salary Dump will always think that their Player will always be a great fit on a Contending Team.
    True. But 3 point shooters can easily fit as a (cheap) role player on contending teams.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

True. But 3 point shooters can easily fit as a (cheap) role player on contending teams.
    Cheap as in $3 mil a year Cheap?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Depth > 1 Good player khaos01207's Avatar
    Mood

Kevin Durant drives to the basket makes a contact layup and you clearly hear him say get off me*****
    3000th Post :
    1-11-14 10:54 PM

18. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

Did anyone just hear Marv Albert during the Rockets-Thunder game, said "Lance Stephenson deserves to be an all-star. He's come such a long way from being a member of the Washington Wizards." Uh Marv, you're thinking of DeShawn.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Did anyone just hear Marv Albert during the Rockets-Thunder game, said "Lance Stephenson deserves to be an all-star. He's come such a long way from being a member of the Washington Wizards." Uh Marv, you're thinking of DeShawn.
    Lmao seriously?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    Lmao seriously?
    You think that's bad? Later he said "Paul George has really come a long way since teaming up with John and Ringo"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, 73 point first half, 19 point second half...pretty amazing actually what happens when all those effing threes you shoot don't go in.

Carmelo scored 18 points in 1 quarter, the Rockets score 19 in a half with Harden and Dwight, they both lose in embarrassing fashion.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Apparently HoopsWorld.com shut down. They're redirecting to HoopsHype.
    It looks like most, if not all of their writers are joining Basketball Insiders.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    This is interesting to look at. Although I've always held a little bit of criticism for strength of schedule statistics.

I think they definitely have a purpose and a place but I feel like they "penalize" good teams and "reward" sucky teams. I think it would be a more accurate representation of the quality of your schedule if it disregarded the games you've played against each opponent. I mean, if you look at that chart of course it indicates our schedule has been easier than most of the other teams because we generally dole out a loss for whoever we're playing. Same goes for the crappy teams. Their schedule is going to be skewed towards the harder end of the spectrum because any team they play they are giving a win to.

For example, let's look at our matchups vs Cleveland. They are 14-25 for a .359 winning percentage. We've played them 3 times, all wins for us. If you are specifically looking at the Pacers strength of schedule it would paint a more accurate picture to throw out the 3 games we've played against Cleveland (and the games for every other team we've played). Doing this raises Cleveland's record to 14-22 for a .389 winning percentage. If you went back through and adjusted the record of every team we've played in this fashion it would show that the average winning percentage for the teams we've faced on our schedule is actually harder than this chart would show.

It works both ways. Utah for example has played San Antonio 3 times (all losses for Utah). According to that chart Utah has had the toughest schedule of any team. If you are considering only Utah's strength of schedule and you take away all 3 of San Antonio's wins against them, it drops San Antonio's win percentage from .795 to .778. Do that for every team Utah has played and the average winning percentage of most every team they've faced is gonna go down.

In other words, it keeps each team from inflating or deflating their own strength of schedule due to their own winning (or losing) proficiency. I can't say that I've seen any adjusted strength of schedule statistics like this so I can't say for certain whether or not it would actually reshuffle the teams on that chart a bit or not. I have a feeling it would though.
    Last edited by Phree Refill; 01-17-2014 at 06:59 AM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    This is interesting to look at. Although I've always held a little bit of criticism for strength of schedule statistics.

I think they definitely have a purpose and a place but I feel like they "penalize" good teams and "reward" sucky teams. I think it would be a more accurate representation of the quality of your schedule if it disregarded the games you've played against each opponent. I mean, if you look at that chart of course it indicates our schedule has been easier than most of the other teams because we generally dole out a loss for whoever we're playing. Same goes for the crappy teams. Their schedule is going to be skewed towards the harder end of the spectrum because any team they play they are giving a win to.

For example, let's look at our matchups vs Cleveland. They are 14-25 for a .359 winning percentage. We've played them 3 times, all wins for us. If you are specifically looking at the Pacers strength of schedule it would paint a more accurate picture to throw out the 3 games we've played against Cleveland (and the games for every other team we've played). Doing this raises Cleveland's record to 14-22 for a .389 winning percentage. If you went back through and adjusted the record of every team we've played in this fashion it would show that the average winning percentage for the teams we've faced on our schedule is actually harder than this chart would show.

It works both ways. Utah for example has played San Antonio 3 times (all losses for Utah). According to that chart Utah has had the toughest schedule of any team. If you are considering only Utah's strength of schedule and you take away all 3 of San Antonio's wins against them, it drops San Antonio's win percentage from .795 to .778. Do that for every team Utah has played and the average winning percentage of most every team they've faced is gonna go down.

In other words, it keeps each team from inflating or deflating their own strength of schedule due to their own winning (or losing) proficiency. I can't say that I've seen any adjusted strength of schedule statistics like this so I can't say for certain whether or not it would actually reshuffle the teams on that chart a bit or not. I have a feeling it would though.
    It "feels" like it's been adjusted somehow, though not in the way you've mentioned necessarily. Other SOS stats I've seen have had the Pacers creeping up towards the middle of the pack for a while. And though it looks good for the Pacers, some of the teams in the East seem to be headed toward respectability. So even though we have an easy schedule the rest of the way, teams in the east are playing better.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

How random from NBA to MBA

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...d=sportscenter

Kobe Bryant goes to school

Kobe Bryant has been out since Dec. 17, giving him time to explore post-career options.
    Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was drafted directly out of high school in 1996, so he never had the opportunity to experience college life first-hand. The injured superstar took the time to rectify that Thursday night. While traveling with the Lakers, who face the Boston Celtics on Friday, Bryant sat in on a class at Boston College. No word yet on Bryant's class participation grade, though he certainly was a hit with his temporary classmates.

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post

Obviously Miami and Indy will have the easiest schedule since they're East teams but don't have to play themselves.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brooklyn is also starting to come on strong, and has played the Pacers 3 times and the Heat twice I believe. That would be why their SoS is so high atm, but will be crashing down.

Pretty much the same with Toronto as well.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Portland plays in San Antonio tonight...should be a good game on a night with alot of games but not alot of good ones....lets hope Portland is able to help us out a bit and continue their success they have had against San Antonio in recent years...

Knicks up 15-9 over Clips
    Paul George for 3!