Page 100 of 248 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee was a Bird pick. He was always a good pick. Some people on here just didn't like him because he wasn't special at Duke.
    IMHO…I think that many people didn't like him cuz they thought that he was garbage cuz he wasn't getting Playing time ahead of Players like Hansbrough. I had the same type of opinion of Lance before he Started before the 2012-2013 season until I saw what he could do. Before he started Playing….I didn't see enough of what Lance could do….so I just wrote him off. But that's why I took a "let's wait and see what he can actually do when given the minutes" approach to Plumlee instead of writing him off of as another wasted pick. But the reality was that none of us knew what he could or could not do because there were Players ahead of him in the rotation that Vogel chose to play ahead of Plumlee. I'm not saying that Plumlee will be an All Star or anything….I'm saying that he is clearly better than what many here thought he would turn out to be.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by solid View Post
    If everyone would have known how well Green and Plum would do maybe we could have kept that pick!
    Oh well.
    I had no real opinion of him cuz I simply didn't see him play enough minutes to form a real opinion….whereas others thought that he was garbage.

There's a difference between thinking that Plumlee would have been that good before trading him and not passing any judgement on him when he was here.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This may seem really dumb, but what's the song the Pacers play when they win a game at home? I tried to figure it out myself for a while without success, I'm sure it's something I'll laugh at myself for.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This may seem really dumb, but what's the song the Pacers play when they win a game at home? I tried to figure it out myself for a while without success, I'm sure it's something I'll laugh at myself for.
    Merry x-mas

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Some outstanding games on the Christmas schedule tomorrow. Why would anyone want to waste their time watching a Pacer team that took the Heat to Game 7 of the ECF's when they could watch the following:

10-16 Chicago @ 9-18 Brooklyn. Man, this competition between two opponents with a combined 19-34 record will be intense.

OKC @ 9-18 NY. This game will complete the NBA's fetish with shoving the overhyped New York teams down our throats. Who cares about the quality of competition when you can get some cool shots of MSG and Manhattan at Christmas time? Oklahoma City should win this game by a comfortable 20+. Maybe KD can try to break Kobe's MSG single game scoring record. That's the only thing that will make this game interesting.

Miami @ 13-15 Lakers. Make sure you open your presents early and have an early Christmas dinner, because this is some must see TV. Who wouldn't want to see the Heat bulldoze a 13-15 Kobe-less Laker team? This will be NBA competition at its finest. Apparently, the NBA is still under the delusion that it's 2009 and the Lakers are still a great team worthy of playing a defending champion on Christmas Day. The Lakers could finish 0-82, but the NBA would still award them with a Christmas game the following season. It must be a mandatory provision in the CBA.

The Houston @ SA and LAL @ GS games are decent.

Just no excuse for the Pacers not being part of the "10 Christmas teams" featured in ESPN/ABC's silly Christmas songs.

I bet the players would rather be with their families on Christmas anyway.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Some outstanding games on the Christmas schedule tomorrow. Why would anyone want to waste their time watching a Pacer team that took the Heat to Game 7 of the ECF's when they could watch the following:

10-16 Chicago @ 9-18 Brooklyn. Man, this competition between two opponents with a combined 19-34 record will be intense.

OKC @ 9-18 NY. This game will complete the NBA's fetish with shoving the overhyped New York teams down our throats. Who cares about the quality of competition when you can get some cool shots of MSG and Manhattan at Christmas time? Oklahoma City should win this game by a comfortable 20+. Maybe KD can try to break Kobe's MSG single game scoring record. That's the only thing that will make this game interesting.

Miami @ 13-15 Lakers. Make sure you open your presents early and have an early Christmas dinner, because this is some must see TV. Who wouldn't want to see the Heat bulldoze a 13-15 Kobe-less Laker team? This will be NBA competition at its finest. Apparently, the NBA is still under the delusion that it's 2009 and the Lakers are still a great team worthy of playing a defending champion on Christmas Day. The Lakers could finish 0-82, but the NBA would still award them with a Christmas game the following season. It must be a mandatory provision in the CBA.

Just no excuse for the Pacers not being part of the "10 Christmas teams" featured in ESPN/ABC's silly Christmas songs.
    Screw the NBA for this schedule. I hope the Pacers opt out of playing on Christmas every year just to spite them (and to give the players and PSE workers a well-deserved Christmas break).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For what it's worth, the Miami heat thinks the NBA is mistreating them by telling them to play in the road in consecutive holidays...

Perspective is a wonderful thing.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Note that all the teams involved(except for the lakers, who were still a draw with Kobe, who has reached league statesman status) were predicted to be top tier playoff teams when the season started. The nba can't flex them out after the fact as if this is football or something.

Did the pacers probably deserve to be playing today? Yes. Will they next year? Probably. Is this something to really get offended over?

Could easily do without this last line; needlessly condescending

Last edited by Kstat; 12-25-2013 at 02:56 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    IMHO…I think that many people didn't like him cuz they thought that he was garbage cuz he wasn't getting Playing time ahead of Players like Hansbrough. I had the same type of opinion of Lance before he Started before the 2012-2013 season until I saw what he could do. Before he started Playing….I didn't see enough of what Lance could do….so I just wrote him off. But that's why I took a "let's wait and see what he can actually do when given the minutes" approach to Plumlee instead of writing him off of as another wasted pick. But the reality was that none of us knew what he could or could not do because there were Players ahead of him in the rotation that Vogel chose to play ahead of Plumlee. I'm not saying that Plumlee will be an All Star or anything….I'm saying that he is clearly better than what many here thought he would turn out to be.
    Yeah, I can see why one would think that if he doesn't get minutes then he must not be any good. But I'm not of that opinion, personally.

I said that numerous times last year. Our big man rotation was DEEP last year. We had 6 available bigs in Hibbert, West, Hans, Mahinmi, Pendy and Miles. Miles was considered a prospect so he was never expected to get a lot of PT. He was considered our 3rd string Center and would only play if one of our other 2 Cs got injured.

That's why I agree with you about the "wait and see" approach. That's the approach that all rookies should be treated with, imo. That's why I thought it was unfair that some people started bashing him from the get go.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Note that all the teams involved(except for the lakers, who were still a draw with Kobe, who has reached league statesman status) were predicted to be top tier playoff teams when the season started. The nba can't flex them out after the fact as if this is football or something.

Did the pacers probably deserve to be playing today? Yes. Will they next year? Probably. Is this something to really get offended over? Only if you're still a teenager.
    I think the thing that upsets me is the Golden State who got they're asses kicked in semi finals get a Xmas game but we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    I think the thing that upsets me is the Golden State who got they're asses kicked in semi finals get a Xmas game but we don't.
    "Got their asses kicked?"

We're you watching a different series than the rest of us?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Did the pacers probably deserve to be playing today? Yes. Will they next year? Probably. Is this something to really get offended over? Only if you're still a teenager.
    Lol, so I'm a "teenager" because I'm making an NBA-related complaint on an NBA forum. It's not as if I went on a 20 minute rant about this during my family's Christmas Eve dinner.

It's a legit complaint. The Pacers deserved a game today over either New York team. The only reason they got games and we didn't is because the NBA has an obvious non-debatable pro-New York bias.

Yes, shockingly a New York team has a better chance at a Christmas game than an Indiana team. Welcome to real life, which is not always fair.

That said, neither team was supposed to be bad this season, and Indiana admittedly got snubbed. The spurs get snubbed quite a bit in Christmas Day, yet they're playing this year.

Is OKC a big market? They're playing today. It's likely with the growth in the popularity of the pacers that they will be playing on Christmas next season. I can't imagine getting upset over something so silly as a Christmas Day snub. It's just petty.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-25-2013 at 09:48 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Instead of getting all upset about the Pacers not playing on Christmas, why are we not happy that the team gets to spend Christmas with their family....just saying
    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama-Redneck For This Useful Post:

It's not just a Christmas complaint. The general public is most likely to watch an ABC game.

Lakers, Knicks, Pacers games on ABC for the whole year? I think the tally is six, six, ZERO.

It's market driven for sure, but still a ridiculous oversight. And considering the high ratings for ESPN for Heat-Pacers and even Rockets-Pacers, and a record high rating for a Pacers game on NBATV, IIRC, the TV executive assumption about people in general not being interested in teams from lesser markets (other than SA and OKC) is seriously flawed.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-25-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck View Post
    Instead of getting all upset about the Pacers not playing on Christmas, why are we not happy that the team gets to spend Christmas with their family....just saying
    To he fair, the entire league gets to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas morning with family. They do set that time aside every year.

Yes, shockingly a New York team has a better chance at a Christmas game than an Indiana team. Welcome to real life, which is not always fair.

That said, neither team was supposed to be bad this season, and Indiana admittedly got snubbed. The spurs get snubbed quite a bit in Christmas Day, yet they're playing this year.

Is OKC a big market? They're playing today. It's likely with the growth in the popularity of the pacers that they will be playing on Christmas next season. I can't imagine getting upset over something so silly as a Christmas Day snub. It's just petty.

The Christmas snub is just a noticeable example from a season's worth of snubbing, i.e. 6 ABC games for the Knicks compared to 0 for the Pacers. Do I expect the Knicks to get some favoritism because they play in New York? Yes, so I wouldn't be complaining if the Knicks had something like 5 ABC games to our 3. But a 6 to 0 ratio after the Pacers whooped the Knicks in the playoffs last year shows just how lopsided the NBA's marketing biases are to New York. It's perfect evidence to support the fact that the NBA has a severe big market bias. It's the only way to explain the 6 ABC games for the Knicks compared to 0 for the Pacers. The Christmas Day games today are a key example because it's arguably the NBA's biggest regular season day.

Oklahoma City is rare because they have two of the best superstars in the game and have made the Finals, so they have become impossible to ignore. It's like how the Cavs used to get a lot of national games with Lebron. But I'm not saying that the Pacers should get as many national games as OKC. All I'm saying is that we should be one of the 10 teams playing on Christmas today, and also that we should be getting a couple of ABC games.

If you're good in the NFL, you get SNF and MNF games the next year. The Colts had a good season last year, so they were rewarded with two SNF games and a MNF games this season. The NFL has an NFC East bias, but it's not so bad that it causes them to unfair to the rest of the teams. The NFL by and large does an an excellent job of giving a huge number of teams an opportunity to perform on its biggest stage. No, I'm not saying that the NBA can ever be as popular as the NFL, but they are both professional sports leagues, so it's fair to look at what another league is doing.

And spare me all of the haughty "life isn't fair" talk. It's an NBA forum and this is an NBA complaint. It's not as if this issue turned me into Scrooge when I was opening Christmas presents last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    It's not just a Christmas complaint. The general public is most likely to watch an ABC game.

Lakers, Knicks, Pacers games on ABC for the whole year? I think the tally is six, six, ZERO.

It's market driven for sure, but still a ridiculous oversight. And considering the high ratings for ESPN for Heat-Pacers and even Rockets-Pacers, and a record high rating for a Pacers game on NBATV, IIRC, the TV executive assumption about people in general not being interested in teams from lesser markets (other than SA and OKC) is seriously flawed.
    This is a somewhat more valid complaint, though not as relevant anymore since most everyone with a tv has access to basic cable now.

I'd also counter that all four Heat Pacers games are either on NBA tv or ESPN. Still an oversight that ABC or TNT couldn't pick one up. Doubtful that happens again.

The Christmas snub is just a noticeable example from a season's worth of snubbing, i.e. 6 ABC games for the Knicks compared to 0 for the Pacers. Do I expect the Knicks to get some favoritism because they play in New York? Yes, so I wouldn't be complaining if the Knicks had something like 5 ABC games to our 3. But a 6 to 0 ratio after the Pacers whooped the Knicks in the playoffs last year shows just how lopsided the NBA's marketing biases are to New York. It's perfect evidence to support the fact that the NBA has a severe big market bias. It's the only way to explain the 6 ABC games for the Knicks compared to 0 for the Pacers. The Christmas Day games today are a key example because it's arguably the NBA's biggest regular season day.

Oklahoma City is rare because they have two of the best superstars in the game and have made the Finals, so they have become impossible to ignore. It's like how the Cavs used to get a lot of national games with Lebron. But I'm not saying that the Pacers should get as many national games as OKC. All I'm saying is that we should be one of the 10 teams playing on Christmas today, and also that we should be getting a couple of ABC games.

If you're good in the NFL, you get SNF and MNF games the next year. The Colts had a good season last year, so they were rewarded with two SNF games and a MNF games this season. The NFL has an NFC East bias, but it's not so bad that it causes them to unfair to the rest of the teams. The NFL by and large does an an excellent job of giving a huge number of teams an opportunity to perform on its biggest stage. No, I'm not saying that the NBA can ever be as popular as the NFL, but they are both professional sports leagues, so it's fair to look at what another league is doing.

And spare me all of the haughty "life isn't fair" talk. It's an NBA forum and this is an NBA complaint. It's not as if this issue turned me into Scrooge when I was opening Christmas presents last night.
    The nfl has 17 Monday night games and 17 Sunday night games. That's 34 total.

The nba plays a grand total of 15 games on abc this season, including two today.

The math doesn't really allow for the nba to hand out abc showcase games to every decent team. Brooklyn and golden state, both mega market teams and popular preseason picks, didn't make the cut either. The Knicks do have a staggering amount of appearances (they won't next season), but, again, real life stuff. Santa Claus isn't real either.

I'm thinking the ABC schedule had far less to do with who the nba wanted people to see and more with what ABC wanted to show. I recall seeing the pacers on NBC a lot in the 90's back when they had the contract. But it's far easier to complain about the big mean nba than a faceless broadcasting company.

And we really don't need to go over the "fairness" (which is a joke) and "popularity" of the nfl for the umpteenth time, as it's been played out and really just a backhanded way of complaining about the nba.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-25-2013 at 10:29 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I can't remember all the particulars but the the Pacers playoff TV ratings were abysmal last year. People on this board may not like it but this Pacers team just might not resonate with a national audience. Who cares about national TV games anyway? It's not like a win counts for double. We could play 82 games on public access for all I care.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

I think it takes a bit longer for a smaller market to get notoriety because of the smaller built in audience, and the ABC games are ridiculously exclusive. The pacers, if they keep having a great season, will make it there next season and the terrible seasons the bulls and Knicks are having will eat into their numbers. The lakers will continue to be shown because, well, Kobe.

I'm more shocked the warriors didn't get one. That's a really popular team in a huge market.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-25-2013 at 10:39 AM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

One more thing to keep in mind, ABC has a totally different motivation and mindset for showing sports than ESPN or TNT. ABC is a broadcast network and their sole goal is to use the live broadcast aspect of sports to get ratings. ESPN and TNT are cable channels and have a little more leeway to show interesting matchups. They make money in totally different ways and they use sports in totally different ways. ABC doesn't not show Pacers games to diss the Pacers, they don't show them because the Pacers don't make them money.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

The Pacers have Lance Stephenson. He is must watch television!!! Its a shame that the national market can't see him, and are stuck watching Jason Kidd try and coach
    David "And One" West

The nfl has 17 Monday night games and 17 Sunday night games. That's 34 total.

The nba plays a grand total of 15 games on abc this season, including two today.

The math doesn't really allow for the nba to hand out abc showcase games to every decent team.

And we really don't need to go over the "fairness" and "popularity" of the nfl (which is a joke) for the umpteenth time, as it's been played out and really just a backhanded way of complaining about the nba.

Fine, I'll just look at the 19 Sunday Night (I'll count the Thursday season kickoff game and Thanksgiving game) games and compare them to the 15 ABC games. Seems like a pretty fair comparison considering both can be considered the marquee games of their respective sports. Sure, there are 4 more SNF games than ABC NBA games, but if ABC had five more then they would all just be some sort of combo of the Lakers/Heat/Thunder/Bulls/Knicks.

Number of SNF games by team:

Broncos - 4
    Cowboys -4
    Steelers -3
    Ravens -2
    Giants -2
    Niners -2
    Bears -2
    Texans -2
    Redskins -2
    Colts -2
    Patriots -2
    Eagles -2
    Saints -2
    Seahawks -1
    Falcons 1
    Packers 1
    Vikings 1
    Chiefs 1
    Panthers 1
    Bengals 1

It looks like 20 NFL franchises got at least 1 SNF games. Wow, that's pretty good. It shows a league that tries its hardest to give most teams a fair chance of SNF. If you had a good season in 2012, then you were virtually guaranteed at least 1 SNF appearance. Sure they are a bit biased towards teams like the Broncos, Cowboys, and Steelers, but overall that's pretty fair. That's 20 different teams in just 19 weeks.

Now let's look at NBA on ABC appearances by team:

Knicks - 6
    Heat -6
    Lakers -5
    Bulls -5
    Thunder -4
    Clippers -2
    Spurs -1
    Rockets - 1

Wow, that's just 8 franchises in 15 games, compared to 20 franchises in 19 SNF NFL games. The Spurs and Rockets each have one, and the Clippers have 2. Outside of that, the ABC games revolve around the same five franchises: LAL, Miami, NYK, Chicago, OKC. It's all so boring and predictable. No one is saying that the NBA can ever be the NFL. But they are both professional sports leagues, so it's fair to draw some comparisons. It's not as if I'm comparing the NBA to bible study. There are definitely things that the NBA could learn from the NFL to improve it's product, and this is one of them. The NFL is very good at making sure that most of it's league gets the opportunity to shine in its marquee SNF games, whereas the NBA acts as if its league revolves around the same 5 franchises. The Spurs, Grizz, and Pacers were all three Conference Finalists last year, yet there is only ONE ABC game between the three of them (SA). Awful awful marketing.