Page 63 of 248 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Bulls are obviously tanking. There is no other explanation for that.
    I dont think so.

The bench is probably the worst in the league.

They dont hate Nate or Bellinelli to handle the ball and create shots.

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Hayward had 15pts & 12 Ast tonight. Overtime win over the Bulls. His Season so far has resembled last years Paul George in terms of making lot of great plays but also turning the ball over like crazy, but they are running the offense thru him. I'd like to him attack the basket more and try to draw some fouls, seems like he passes out of alot of opportunities.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

just a reminder

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Future View Post
    I dont think so.

The bench is probably the worst in the league.

They dont hate Nate or Bellinelli to handle the ball and create shots.
    I agree that they lack shot creators without Rose but still their D should be good enough to beat the Jazz. I mean, we're talking about the tanking Jazz. The team that is 30th in Offensive Efficiency and 29th in Defensive Efficiency.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    Are they taking my advice too seriously? LOL

The Bulls just has nowhere to go at this point than to blow up their roster. An OT game managing only 84 points and losing against Utah is just inexcusable for a team that's supposed to be the Heat's "rival." Not that I'm complaining since 1 less obstacle for the Pacers is always good.
    I don't know about blowing up the roster but tanking would be good for them.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Hayward had 15pts & 12 Ast tonight. Overtime win over the Bulls. His Season so far has resembled last years Paul George in terms of making lot of great plays but also turning the ball over like crazy, but they are running the offense thru him. I'd like to him attack the basket more and try to draw some fouls, seems like he passes out of alot of opportunities.
    He is facilitating very nicely. He already has 3 games of 10+ assists.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    He has disappointed me so far I though he would play better than he has.

No one is going to beat the Spurs if they keep defending. I have went back and watched there past few games and they are scary. It is a basketball clinic on both ends. The Cavs game the other night was one of the game best games I have seen(by one team)

In a way, that will indirectly cause them to tank. With Deng and Boozer most likely gone by next season, that team now lacks the scorers it needs. Right now letting Nate go and replacing him with Dunleavy has been a one big mistake by the Bulls with the results before and after.

Speaking of Nate, his Nuggets team is on the groove right now. Looks like Shaw is doing a good job as a head coach.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Players take discounts all of the time. Kobe just wants to have his cake and eat it too. Sure, he's worth it from a financial standpoint for LA, but that's only one aspect of this signing. The fact that a 37-year-old is going to be making upwards of $25M two years from now is ridiculous. Not only that, but that will be close to half of the salary cap each of the next two years. Next year will probably be around $60M and the year after will likely be similar... The Lakers are going to have about $25M to fill 9 roster spots this summer. They're going to be in trouble unless they can sign-and-trade Gasol for multiple good players next summer.
    just to add to this when you consider that Amare Stoudemire is going to be making 23.4 million next year and kobe will be making 23.5 kind of puts things into perspective about how screwed the knicks really are even an old man kobe is a bazillion times better than no knees amare

Iman Shumpert posted a historically bad line on Monday, becoming the first Knicks player in 30 years to play 20 minutes without recording a single point, a single rebound or a single assist.

There is some evidence that he was on the court, however, given that the boxscore notes three missed shots and two turnovers in his 23 minutes, and, yes, one positive: a steal.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    There's been some truly horrific #2 overall picks in recent years...

2000: Stromile Swift
    2001: Tyson Chandler
    2002: Jay Williams
    2003: Darko Milicic
    2004: Emeka Okafor
    2005: Marvin Williams
    2006: LaMarcus Aldridge
    2007: Kevin Durant
    2008: Michael Beasley
    2009: Hasheem Thabeet
    2010: Evan Turner
    2011: Derrick Williams
    2012: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    2013: Victor Oladipo

By my count there's been at least seven outright busts (Swift, Williams (all three[!!!] of them), Milicic, Beasley, and Thabeet), one player who's giving off potential bust vibes, but it's too early to say for certain (Kidd-Gilchrist), a couple of solid-but-unspectacular picks (Chandler and Okafor), one very good pick (Aldridge), and one grand slam (Durant).

Edit: I forgot Evan Turner, who was speeding down the bust highway until this season. We'll see if he continues playing like a stud in Philly...

That's not a good track record.

By the way, I fully expect people to shed tears over my labeling of Kidd-Gilchrist as a potential bust. Flame away, children.

I felt Williams was playing some good ball at times last year, and was expecting to see more improvement this year. Personally, I feel the Kings got the better end of the trade, but only time will tell.

Yeah, 1 year under his belt and MK-G is a bust. No chance he can turn his career around. Must be b/c he went to KY.

I was just looking at the top 10 stats, and I noticed Victor O was ranked 4/5 in TO's. And to think I get upset with PG for his silly careless TO's, and he's not even ranked in the top 10 let alone the top 5.

Players take discounts all of the time. Kobe just wants to have his cake and eat it too. Sure, he's worth it from a financial standpoint for LA, but that's only one aspect of this signing. The fact that a 37-year-old is going to be making upwards of $25M two years from now is ridiculous. Not only that, but that will be close to half of the salary cap each of the next two years. Next year will probably be around $60M and the year after will likely be similar... The Lakers are going to have about $25M to fill 9 roster spots this summer. They're going to be in trouble unless they can sign-and-trade Gasol for multiple good players next summer.

All the time? Usually no but for those that do how often has that actually helped them in getting better players.

Tom Brady took less and well the Pats didn't use it to retain talent they kept it for themselves. So really what was the point of his paycut? Nice gesture but you can't expect others to be as selfless either. Just not realistic.

Sports Logo

Yeah....they can just have the 14th worst record in the league and Silver will just give them the #1 pick so that they can get Wiggins to replace DRose. Lightning can strike twice, right?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Iman Shumpert posted a historically bad line on Monday, becoming the first Knicks player in 30 years to play 20 minutes without recording a single point, a single rebound or a single assist.

There is some evidence that he was on the court, however, given that the boxscore notes three missed shots and two turnovers in his 23 minutes, and, yes, one positive: a steal.
    And to think the Knicks thought they could get The Manimal for him.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post

Most people would not care about a Knicks Player putting up crappy #s....in fact, I am sure that there are some here on PD cheering this.

Unfortunately, I do care.....cuz I have him on both my Fantasy Teams.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    All the time? Usually no but for those that do how often has that actually helped them in getting better players.

Tom Brady took less and well the Pats didn't use it to retain talent they kept it for themselves. So really what was the point of his paycut? Nice gesture but you can't expect others to be as selfless either. Just not realistic.
    Guys that probably could have gotten max deals the last 5 years and instead took less: LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Dirk, Duncan, KG... and ALL of those guys were on teams that routinely made deep postseason runs. That's Kobe's problem... he wants to compete AND get his money, but unless they waive their rights to Pau and trade Nash for nothing, they won't be able to afford anything after signing a top-level free agent. I think this signing all but guarantees that Kobe will not win another ring and that he will be all-out gunning in hopes of winning the all-time scoring title. Should be fun to watch, but Kobe really should have taken $10M a season so the Lakers could have signed a couple of real difference-makers.

You cant count the discounts Lebron, Bosh and Wade took because the tax laws in florida.

[QUOTE=GrangeRusHibbert;1741534]

Edit: I forgot Evan Turner, who was speeding down the bust highway until this season. We'll see if he continues playing like a stud in Philly.../QUOTE]

If you watched or paid any attention to Turner last season, you would have noticed he was in the process of changing his career around then, not all of a sudden this season. Too many people are too quick to use the term bust if a player doesn't play to their expectations in their precieved time frame. NOT ALL PLAYERS DEVELOP AN NBA GAME AT THE SAME RATE! NOT PLAYERS ARE DRAFTED BY A TEAM THAT HAS THE RIGHT SYSTEM FOR THEM.

A player is rated a bust if they become a bust on where in the draft they are picked, and yet they have no control over where they are drafted. It doesn't mean they can't play in the NBA, it means some GM overvalued them as a pick. In reality, the GM's are at blame b/c they picked a player at #2 who wasn't a #2 quality player, but the player gets the bust label. Sometimes players are drafted by the wrong team, and it just isn't a good fit. Yet, the player get labeled a bust.

Then OTOH, a player like Chandler Parsons, #38 pick, who develops from his rookie year forward, and 37 players were drafted by GM's who undervalued his ability to play in the NBA. Houston GM drafts him, and looks like a draft guru.

Then a team gets a player by trade or FA, and that player isn't a good fit. Thus the BUST label is applied to that player. Prime example is Gerald Green. He was signed for how he played the last half of the season for the Nets. He never produced as expected as a Pacer, thus he was considered a BUST, and yet he's traded to the Suns where he's playing good ball. He's a Top 10 3pt shooter who is producing for the Suns at 3.5 mil which is anything but being overpaid for his production. He's on the RIGHT TEAM for his abilities.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    You cant count the discounts Lebron, Bosh and Wade took because the tax laws in florida.
    They took about a million dollar pay cut for each season.

This says LeBron will make $110,000,000 over the lifetime of the contract. They say he'll lose 15mil than what he could have with Clevaland.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...-on-the-table/

Pretending like Florida has a 6.5% income tax, which is the national average for the 43 states that have an income tax, they would have to have signed a contract worth about $120,000,000 in order to take home that $110,000,000. So they'd still miss their max from each respective former teams by about 5mil, over 6 years.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Since86, There is also his Nike income to consider, a deal which dwarfs his basketball contract.

Establishing a Florida residence protects him from any state income tax on that as well.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Yeah, I was just trying to keep it just to his NBA salary. Bosh might actually end up making a similiar amount, with how high Canadian tax rates are. They cap the national tax rate at 29%, so 6% less than the US, but Ontario's provinical tax rate is a whooping 13%. (Nova Scotia is 21%!!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Then you can't count any player who has ever taken less money to play for the Spurs, Mavericks, Rockets, Heat or Magic. That's ridiculous. They still could have gotten more than they ended up getting. Kobe technically did too, but the fact that he'll be taking up about 40% of their available cap space on his own is insane. I'm not saying that he doesn't want to him, but when he signs a contract like that it sure looks like it.

Guys that probably could have gotten max deals the last 5 years and instead took less: LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Dirk, Duncan, KG... and ALL of those guys were on teams that routinely made deep postseason runs. That's Kobe's problem... he wants to compete AND get his money, but unless they waive their rights to Pau and trade Nash for nothing, they won't be able to afford anything after signing a top-level free agent. I think this signing all but guarantees that Kobe will not win another ring and that he will be all-out gunning in hopes of winning the all-time scoring title. Should be fun to watch, but Kobe really should have taken $10M a season so the Lakers could have signed a couple of real difference-makers.

The Lakers won it all 3 years ago last I checked that was within 5 years.

Kobe wasn't going to win another ring anyways not because I don't think he's capable but they hired D'Antoni as a coach and well he sucks.

So really the amount of $$$ he took doesn't matter. Would I have paid him that much? No but considering that the Lakers aren't going anywhere anytime soon they offered this and he took it.

Its nice that others who did take less but KG took less and he ended up getting traded to the Nets along with Pierce (only 1 ring for them)

Dirk took less and well the Mavs haven't done much since their last title. They let Chandler go and others and brought in Lamar which was an epic fail.

So how did a paycut help them? Management matters here. The Spurs are a well oiled machine and the Big 3 in Miami well no need to explain them.

I just think its unrealistic to expect all players to take a paycut for the sake of winning especially since owners are so quick to dump their players the minute they are no longer useful.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think the Bulls are tanking as much as I believe their spirit is broken.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I don't think the Bulls are tanking as much as I believe their spirit is broken.
    This. They will get over it and start playing good ball again sooner than later. Besides, they clearly aren't tanking since that isn't how tanking works anyway.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post: