Page 62 of 248 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 6200

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

  1. #1526
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,387

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote



    Twin Cities radio guy, no idea how plugged in he actually is.
    My sources tell me that Derrick Williams completed the obstacle course in 14:08...a new record! No word on whether he made the plane to Indy.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 11-25-2013 at 06:05 PM.

  2. #1527

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kobe never put the team before himself and played for less EVER he was always a little money grubber.


    Yes because all players would turn down a max contract/extension if they could. Most if not all players want to get paid anyone who says they wouldn't take that $$$ that was offered to them isn't being entirely honest with themselves.

  3. #1528
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,550

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes because all players would turn down a max contract/extension if they could. Most if not all players want to get paid anyone who says they wouldn't take that $$$ that was offered to them isn't being entirely honest with themselves.
    Players take discounts all of the time. Kobe just wants to have his cake and eat it too. Sure, he's worth it from a financial standpoint for LA, but that's only one aspect of this signing. The fact that a 37-year-old is going to be making upwards of $25M two years from now is ridiculous. Not only that, but that will be close to half of the salary cap each of the next two years. Next year will probably be around $60M and the year after will likely be similar... The Lakers are going to have about $25M to fill 9 roster spots this summer. They're going to be in trouble unless they can sign-and-trade Gasol for multiple good players next summer.

  4. #1529
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Players take discounts all of the time. Kobe just wants to have his cake and eat it too. Sure, he's worth it from a financial standpoint for LA, but that's only one aspect of this signing. The fact that a 37-year-old is going to be making upwards of $25M two years from now is ridiculous. Not only that, but that will be close to half of the salary cap each of the next two years. Next year will probably be around $60M and the year after will likely be similar... The Lakers are going to have about $25M to fill 9 roster spots this summer. They're going to be in trouble unless they can sign-and-trade Gasol for multiple good players next summer.
    They're the Lakers- they can pay the tax and not worry.

  5. #1530
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,550

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're the Lakers- they can pay the tax and not worry.

    They can only actually approach the tax through sign-and-trades, is my point. And the only guy that's going to give them much of a return in that regard is Gasol. So they're painting themselves into a corner.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:


  7. #1531
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,550

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    According to Marc Stein, the Wolves are close to swapping Derrick Williams for Luc Richard Mbah a Moute.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:


  9. #1532
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to Marc Stein, the Wolves are close to swapping Derrick Williams for Luc Richard Mbah a Moute.
    Ouch. Good Lord, that's selling low.

  10. #1533
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ouch. Good Lord, that's selling low.
    Mbah a Moute will end up having the better career IMO. I never liked Williams, and I guess you can call it selling low, but Moute is going to help the Wolves this year come playoff time.

  11. #1534

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Unless something happens, the trade for Williams is close to done.

    http://www.nba.com/2013/news/11/25/k...s=iref:nbahpts

    MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The Minnesota Timberwolves are trading former No. 2 overall draft pick Derrick Williams to the Sacramento Kings for Luc Mbah a Moute.

    Two person with knowledge of the deal say the agreement was reached on Monday night. The people requested anonymity because neither team has officially announced the deal.

  12. #1535
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,960

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Good trade for minny Moute is a good to great defender

    Derrick Williams is the second coming of Marvin Williams.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

  13. #1536
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good trade for minny Moute is a good to great defender

    Derrick Williams is the second coming of Marvin Williams.
    At least Marvin defends and tries at times he just isnt very skilled. Derrick is just not a smart player at all and add in his poor lateral movements he just cant play very good basketball. He had to be one of the laziest guy I have ever watched in college. He literally wouldn't get back on defense half of the game. I just don't understand how someone can be so lazy.

  14. #1537
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    There's been some truly horrific #2 overall picks in recent years...

    2000: Stromile Swift
    2001: Tyson Chandler
    2002: Jay Williams
    2003: Darko Milicic
    2004: Emeka Okafor
    2005: Marvin Williams
    2006: LaMarcus Aldridge
    2007: Kevin Durant
    2008: Michael Beasley
    2009: Hasheem Thabeet
    2010: Evan Turner
    2011: Derrick Williams
    2012: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    2013: Victor Oladipo

    By my count there's been at least seven outright busts (Swift, Williams (all three[!!!] of them), Milicic, Beasley, and Thabeet), one player who's giving off potential bust vibes, but it's too early to say for certain (Kidd-Gilchrist), a couple of solid-but-unspectacular picks (Chandler and Okafor), one very good pick (Aldridge), and one grand slam (Durant).

    Edit: I forgot Evan Turner, who was speeding down the bust highway until this season. We'll see if he continues playing like a stud in Philly...

    That's not a good track record.

    By the way,

    This is unnecessary and confrontational

    Last edited by Lance George; 11-25-2013 at 09:31 PM.

  15. #1538

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's been some truly horrific #2 overall picks in recent years...

    2000: Stromile Swift
    2001: Tyson Chandler
    2002: Jay Williams
    2003: Darko Milicic
    2004: Emeka Okafor
    2005: Marvin Williams
    2006: LaMarcus Aldridge
    2007: Kevin Durant
    2008: Michael Beasley
    2009: Hasheem Thabeet
    2010: Evan Turner
    2011: Derrick Williams
    2012: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    2013: Victor Oladipo

    By my count there's been at least seven outright busts (Swift, Williams (all three[!!!] of them), Milicic, Beasley, and Thabeet), one player who's giving off potential bust vibes, but it's too early to say for certain (Kidd-Gilchrist), a couple of solid-but-unspectacular picks (Chandler and Okafor), one very good pick (Aldridge), and one grand slam (Durant).

    Edit: I forgot Evan Turner, who was speeding down the bust highway until this season. We'll see if he continues playing like a stud in Philly...

    That's not a good track record.

    By the way, I fully expect people to shed tears over my labeling of Kidd-Gilchrist as a potential bust. Flame away, children.
    To be fair Orlando is using Oladipo about as wrong as you can get

  16. #1539
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be fair Orlando is using Oladipo about as wrong as you can get
    I just threw Oladipo in there to complete the set. He's actually looking pretty good early on. I doubt he ends up in the home run category with Durant, but he looks skilled enough to be in the Aldridge tier in due time.

  17. #1540
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,550

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By the way, I fully expect people to shed tears over my labeling of Kidd-Gilchrist as a potential bust. Flame away, children.
    Is that really how you felt it would be best to punctuate what was otherwise a thoughtful and well-stated post? Come on man...

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:


  19. #1541
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,326

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown




    lol

  20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  21. #1542
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,837

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote



    lol
    this has to be one of the funniest things i've ever read

  22. #1543
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,387

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Of the 19 players selected by the Charlotte Bobcats in their 2004 expansion draft, only two remain in the NBA - Gerald Wallace and Zaza Pachulia (who never actually played for the team). The franchise needs to make a good selection this upcoming June so they don't tarnish the Hornets name.

  23. #1544
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,550

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good trade for minny Moute is a good to great defender

    Derrick Williams is the second coming of Marvin Williams.
    I've felt that the Wolves' current roster is short on versatile defenders, so Mbah a Moute fills that need for sure. He isn't a lockdown defensive specialist but he makes guys work hard for their points and is a smart team defender.

    Williams just can't play the three at all... kind of a problem when you're on a roster with Kevin Love, who can play 40MPG without much difficulty. I like the move for both teams.

    I also think Minnesota is in need of another wing defender... a trade along the lines of Alexey Shved for Courtney Lee might make sense for both them and Boston.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:


  25. #1545

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of the 19 players selected by the Charlotte Bobcats in their 2004 expansion draft, only two remain in the NBA - Gerald Wallace and Zaza Pachulia (who never actually played for the team). The franchise needs to make a good selection this upcoming June so they don't tarnish the Hornets name.
    I mean thats not so absurd teams were allowed to protect their what best 11 players? So literally the Bobcats were taking teams victory cigars for the most part.

  26. #1546
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,387

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean thats not so absurd teams were allowed to protect their what best 11 players? So literally the Bobcats were taking teams victory cigars for the most part.
    Teams could only protect eight, but your point is valid. In fact, after taking a look at the pool of players to choose from, building even a moderately successful team would have been near impossible. The Bobcats tried to find diamonds in the rough (by taking younger players) but there wasn't even cubic zirconia to be had.

    Here's the list of rules for the draft: http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/draf...s_summary.html


    • Each of the 29 NBA teams may protect a maximum of eight players on its roster who are under contract or are restricted free agents at the conclusion of the 2003-04 season.

  27. #1547
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,938

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    The Bulls are obviously tanking. There is no other explanation for that.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  28. #1548

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that really how you felt it would be best to punctuate what was otherwise a thoughtful and well-stated post? Come on man...
    I was more confused by it. Are people that protective of Kidd Gilchrist? I forgot he was in the league until I watched a Bobcats game last week.

  29. #1549
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,285

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Thibs may not say it, but his team is tanking. I mean, losing to UTAH?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  30. #1550

    Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Bulls are obviously tanking. There is no other explanation for that.
    Are they taking my advice too seriously? LOL

    The Bulls just has nowhere to go at this point than to blow up their roster. An OT game managing only 84 points and losing against Utah is just inexcusable for a team that's supposed to be the Heat's "rival." Not that I'm complaining since 1 less obstacle for the Pacers is always good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •