Page 33 of 248 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Thread: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How terrible has Bennett been? Him being picked number one is a total disaster, and I cannot believe the scouts whiffed so badly on him. Should Bennett have even been a first rounder or drafted at all? This guy could be worse than Olowakandi and Kwame
    is this real life?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Banned

Default Re: The 10th NBA Random Thoughts thread 2013-2014: Coveting Miami's Crown

Not a huge fan of Howard/Asik at the same time that's going to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Thankfully, Oladipo wasn't injured. My point is that you can expect players coming off of injury to be out of shape.
    Out of shape and overweight are two totally different things. Nothing about being injured requires a player to put on weight.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    is this real life?
    what do you mean. Do you think Bennett is good? LOL. Terrible, inexcusable draft pick. You had Oladipo staring at you in the face, and you pass for Anthony friggin Bennett.
    David "And One" West

This is why people don't want Howard playing the Post, he doesn't have the skill yet to convert. He is like 30% conversion rate in post-ups.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Out of shape and overweight are two totally different things. Nothing about being injured requires a player to put on weight.
    Agreed. I never said that I think that he looks overweight. I think that he just is out of shape.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    How terrible has Bennett been? Him being picked number one is a total disaster, and I cannot believe the scouts whiffed so badly on him. Should Bennett have even been a first rounder or drafted at all? This guy could be worse than Olowakandi and Kwame
    We should come back to this quote in a few years. I think Bennett will grow into a beast, but he needs some time and maturation. He's 2016 David West in the making, IMO.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

2 undefeated teams left
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Has there ever been so few unbeaten teams left this early in a season?

One now

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    We should come back to this quote in a few years. I think Bennett will grow into a beast, but he needs some time and maturation. He's 2016 David West in the making, IMO.
    Bennett looks bigger on the court than his measurements suggest. Taller I mean. He is only 6-7 in shoes, so he will have to improve his athleticism, i.e. lose weight, to avoid being another Thomas Robinson or Derrick Williams or Michael Beasley. Tweeners all.

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    He was hurt. He had a shoulder injury that stopped him from working out for four months during the summer.
    Shoulder=no cardio?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Anthony Bennett is now working on 30+ career minutes without a basket. He's 0-7.
    Reverse Jason Kidd!

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/sto...ery-agent-says

He injured his shoulder in May and had to miss up to 4 months of basketball activity. That's why he looks like that.
    The shoulder bones connected to the leg bone...I don't remember that song.

Thankfully, Oladipo wasn't injured. My point is that you can expect players coming off of injury to be out of shape.
    Does Danny Granger look like he was eating value meals every day for the past year?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Does Danny Granger look like he was eating value meals every day for the past year?
    Look at Amare and he has been hurt forever.

It would be different if the guy's weight wasn't an issue in college and it was like damn this injury just really slowed me down. But this was the EXACT thing he was criticized for in school.

The Cavs out thought themselves plain and simple. They had Oladipo staring them in the face and they tried to get cute. It's not based off of three games or 100 games, it's just based off the fact that this decision was really pretty easy to make.

Oladipo had all the measurables, he had the work ethic, he has a great personality, and there was no clear cut superstar in the draft that made you say yeah Oladipo should go 2. The Cavs tried to get way too creative and they ended up picking a guy who probably should have gone more like 7 or 8.

I do think Bennett will end up being an OK player, like maybe a 10 and 8 guy off the bench for his career, but the Cavs had the chance to pair Kyrie with a great slashing two and instead they picked up a guy who is never going to beat out Thompson for playing time.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Banned

If I was a GM and I had the number one pick overall I'll be expecting my pick to be much better than David West, the number one pick is supposed to be a franchise player somebody that can turn your franchise around, I'll be dissapointed if I was a Cavs fan.

Good God just no.

David West was a fantastic physical specimen coming out of Xavier.

He has a 7' 4.25" wing span. Which is just insane for someone that is 6'8.25" without shoes. Darko's wingspan that year was 7'5" and he is almost 4 inches taller than West. On top of that, West measured out at 8% body fat. The same as Chris Bosh in that draft. West actually has a longer wingpsan than Bosh and nearly the same standing reach.

Bennett didn't do all the tests, but we do know he measured out at 6'7" in shoes and he weighs at least 255 right now (but almost certainly more). Bennett's reach of 7'1" is still pretty good, but nearly 3 inches shorter than West. You know when David hits those ridiculous turn arounds? Think about the extra space he's able to create with his long arms. Bennett will never be West.

He could however be 2016 Mike Sweetney.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-05-2013 at 12:40 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Banned

@netw3rk: Never a good sign when you make Dray Blatche look like svelte by comparison. http://t.co/Ct1VuEyKmu

Pretty awesome.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Shelby is on the IU softball team.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

No but Danny Granger and Anthony Bennett have different body types.

I think that the disconnect comes from the fact that I didn't watch Bennett in college. Therefore, I don't really know how he looked before the injury so I cannot make a comparison. I just assume that he has always been a bulky forward and that on top of his natural bulk he now looks extremely out of shape due to being months removed from any basketball activities.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    This is Pacers digest, people know everything about a player or team after 1 quarter

A great many felt after 1-1.5 yr to Evan Turner was a wash out after being drafted #2. Some feel the same about Derrick Williams a year later drafted at #2.

I've never written either off. Not all players develop as quickly as many feel they should.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are we really going to imply that fat guys can't play in the NBA? Did Charles Barkley and Zach Randolph just cease to exist?

Bennett's problem isn't that he's fat. He's been fat his whole life. His problem is he has no low post game to utilize his big body, and he is not going to beat anybody on the perimeter trying to blow by guys 50lbs lighter on their feet.

The red flag on Bennett skill-wise was always that he's a PF that plays like a SF. And at his body type, those types really struggle in the NBA because they can't move their feet well enough to play SF, and they lack the skills to play PF.

Advanced metrics loved Bennett's offense at UNLV, but the Cavs' draft strategy post-LeBron only shows how imperfect that data is. It served them well with Kyrie Irving, but it led them to draft two players in Waiters and Bennett that maybe they should have given the eye test a little more. Thompson is more of a wash because the numbers projected him as a defensive stopper, when he's actually better than anticipated on offense, and very mediocre on D.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-05-2013 at 05:40 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post: