Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic Johnson leaving ESPN

Default Magic Johnson leaving ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/98...n-nba-coverage

Magic Johnson leaving ESPN

Earvin "Magic" Johnson has informed ESPN that he will no longer be part of its NBA coverage because of his other commitments.

Earvin "Magic" Johnson announced on Thursday that he'll no longer be part of ESPN's NBA coverage because of his other commitments.

Johnson, a five-time NBA champion, three-time MVP and member of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, joined the network in 2008. He appeared on ESPN and ABC as a studio and game analyst.

"We appreciate Magic's contributions and wish him well in his future endeavors," John Wildhack, ESPN's executive vice president, production, said in a statement. "We are in the process of determining our NBA commentator roles for the upcoming season."

Johnson is part of the ownership group that agreed to buy the Los Angeles Dodgers in March 2012. Since retiring from basketball, he has been successful in business, investing in movie theaters, a production company and restaurants. He also has been an activist in the fight against HIV after being diagnosed with the virus in 1991.

He expanded his role on ESPN to join "NBA Countdown" in 2011.

"I love ESPN. Unfortunately, due to the nature of my schedule and other commitments, I don't feel confident that I can continue to devote the time needed to thrive in my role," Johnson said in a statement. "I will always feel a strong connection to the ESPN family and I enjoyed working with them very much."

Earlier this week, ESPN announced the hiring of former 76ers coach Doug Collins as an analyst on a number of NBA shows. Collins was expected to work alongside Johnson on those shows.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Magic Johnson leaving ESPN

They need a charismatic former nba player in the studio. It just wasn't magic, especially with Simmons in there pissing him off.

I don't particularly care for Simmons either on TV, FYI. But if they're going to keep him, find someone that doesn't resent his existence. That whole studio was doomed from the start. The conference finals and nba finals when they went on the road was an embarrassment of pettiness.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-10-2013 at 03:28 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Steal Chris Webber from TNT.

I'm not too sure what I would do with their studio show. They need to decide what they want, an entertainment show or more of a sports show. Up to this point it hasn't really been anything. They should not true to duplicate TNT show - that would be a disaster. So TNT has that covered, and NBATV is great at sticking to the games and giving the diehard fans what they want.

I think brent Barry is the best thing on NBATV, so maybe they should try to steal him, but that probably won't work. And I don't think sticking Doug Collins in the studio is the best use of him, he needs to be at the games.

Maybe pair Jeff Van Gundy and Stan Van Gundy in the studio and see what happens.

I dont know

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, nevermind, Doris Burke w/ Simmons, that has to be odd, though it could work. Guessing the move will get mostly laughs from fans though, at least it keeps her off the broadcasts, I thought she was average at best on those. It's a bit different going from analizing 2 teams, to all 30 (well probably more like maybe 10 or so, most the rest get ignored anyway).

Simmons must make them a ton of money though.
    Last edited by Cactus Jax; 10-10-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Steal Chris Webber from TNT.
    See I like him on game telecast better than in the studio. (If I were running TNT and I might promote CWebb to lead analyst replacing Reggie and Steve Kerr)

Charles, Kenny and Ernie are the gold standard (although when I am in the mood for pure basketball I like NBATV)

Isiah is pretty good in the studio, except sometimes he beats a point to death.

If grant Hill hadn't already signed with TNT, I would say ESPN should go after him.

The fact is if you want to be on TV and unless you can be ESPN/ABC lead TV analyst (meaning you do the NBA Finals) I think Turner, TNT and NBATV is a better place to work. They give you more time, more freedom to say what you want, less scripted

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Actually that is not a bad idea. I have heard her interviewed on Dakich and other radio shows and she is very good, much better than her game analysis, so she might be pretty good in the studio
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-10-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'm not too sure what I would do with their studio show. They need to decide what they want, an entertainment show or more of a sports show. Up to this point it hasn't really been anything. They should not true to duplicate TNT show - that would be a disaster. So TNT has that covered, and NBATV is great at sticking to the games and giving the diehard fans what they want.

I think brent Barry is the best thing on NBATV, so maybe they should try to steal him, but that probably won't work. And I don't think sticking Doug Collins in the studio is the best use of him, he needs to be at the games.

Maybe pair Jeff Van Gundy and Stan Van Gundy in the studio and see what happens.

I dont know
    Stern/Adam Silver would be having to shake their heads all the time, if the ESPN Studio had both Van Gundy's and Bill Simmons on it lol.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Stern/Adam Silver would be having to shake their heads all the time, if the ESPN Studio had both Van Gundy's and Bill Simmons on it lol.
    No, i am saying get rid of Jalen, Simmons, move Doug to lead game. bring in a host for the Van Gundy's. I would watch that.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, i am saying get rid of Jalen, Simmons, move Doug to lead game. bring in a host for the Van Gundy's. I would watch that.
    That would be more ideal, but I guess using Simmons and having weird, awkward moments during every studio broadcast is worth the money he makes them off Grantland. I actually do think he was much better than the Magic/Wilbon duo by a fair margin, just when he goes off into either his crazy NBA trades or NBA should change these things theories, it throws the other people off. I think Doug will take it much more lightly than the guys that left did, I don't know about Doris.

That is an interesting dynamic Doris Burke and Simmons. So it is Rose/Simmons/Burke/Collins? Seems interesting, Rose and Simmons are great on Grantland. I wonder who is replacing Burke on the road. If ESPN get rids of Jon Barry, I'll be happy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Going from a legendary top 5 all time player to Doris Burke is great for any NBA show. The ratings should see a significant spike.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh dear god. Magic wasn't great, but he was better than drying paint.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

See I like him on game telecast better than in the studio. (If I were running TNT and I might promote CWebb to lead analyst replacing Reggie and Steve Kerr)
    I actually think studio analysis is a lot better for C-Webb. During games he can tend to get a little too caught up in the action to the point where his commentary becomes too rushed. That's not a major gripe, but nonetheless, he's excellent as a studio analyst and his energy is ideal for that kind of setting. I think ESPN would greatly benefit from having him on their show.

IMO, I'd ditch the current crew except for Jalen, who I think would be pretty good without Simmons there to bring him down. I'd like to see a crew of Jalen, C-Webb if possible, and Tim Legler who already works for ESPN, with Stuart Scott as the host/discussion leader again.

http://deadspin.com/sources-magic-jo...ium=socialflow

Sources: Magic Johnson Left ESPN Because Of Bill Simmons

ESPN announced today that Magic Johnson is leaving NBA Countdown and the network. Johnson, per ESPN, is leaving "due to his otherů Readů
    So, why did Magic make his sudden announcement that he's leaving ESPN, less than three weeks before the NBA season begins? An announcement so sudden that the newest addition to NBA Countdown, Doris Burke, appeared to have had no idea it was going down?

ESPN sources tell us that Johnson's departure was the result of an old-fashioned power war, with one very clear winner: Bill Simmons. "It's Simmons's show now," said one source.

Magic apparently was not at all happy when ESPN told his buddy Michael Wilbon that his role on NBA Countdown would be diminished. He was "booted," according to one source. Another ESPN insider also said that Magic was "privately seething over the Wilbon thing and in general did not like that Simmons held all the power and influence." Magic didn't necessarily need the power, our sources explained; he just didn't feel like kowtowing to Simmons when he's, well, Magic Johnson.

"The bottom line is they turned that show over to Simmons," said our source. "That's why Doug Collins got hired and why Wilbon was out."

And that's a very large part of why Johnson decided to bolt the show at the 11th hour. ESPN announced the news this afternoon and said that Johnson informed the network of his decision today. Johnson said in a statement he was leaving "due to the nature of my schedule and other commitments, I don't feel confident that I can continue to devote the time needed to thrive in my role."

Now, the show belongs entirely to Simmons. He's losing star power with Magic Johnson's departure, but he's not necessarily losing a key component of a studio show that had a much-improved but still uneven 2012-2013 season. ESPN said it's still "determining our NBA commentator roles for the upcoming season." Simmons will be able to get a proper host in for the show. He'll be able to shape it however he wants.

Such is his power now at ESPN. "The shadow president," a source called him.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

in other completely obvious news, smoking has proven to be bad for your health. There's no way they were going to go through another season of their studio guys hating each other.

I root for Simmons over Magic on this one. He's annoying, but at least he doesn't try to be everybody's friend. He has the balls to be critical. Lesser of two evils.

The Memphis/Rudy Gay discussion was a prime example. Simmons was the only guy in the room that said Gay wasn't a superstar and Magic absolutely refused to admit that he might not be worth his max contract and treated Simmons like the class dork that never played the game like the rest of the cool kids...
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-10-2013 at 07:54 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

I hate many of Simmons' opinions, but I love it when he goes after guys like Doc Rivers. That whole sequence on Draft Night was awesome.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

I couldn't watch any of the studio show because I only have league pass broadband. What was the deal with Magic and Simmons? Did they argue a lot?

Mood

Simmons has come out and said this allegation is false, and in fact Magic will be a guest on his podcast next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Well, nevermind, Doris Burke w/ Simmons, that has to be odd, though it could work. Guessing the move will get mostly laughs from fans though, at least it keeps her off the broadcasts, I thought she was average at best on those. It's a bit different going from analizing 2 teams, to all 30 (well probably more like maybe 10 or so, most the rest get ignored anyway).

Simmons must make them a ton of money though.
    Because someone who criticized women's basketball their entire career and a woman..who started her career analyzing women's basketball..should get along well.

Doris knows her stuff, she's well researched. This surprises me though, because she's not the most entertaining/humorous person, nor do I think she's the best improvisor. If they really wanted a woman, they should have gone with Lawson or Lobo. (Or if they could pull Taurasi away from Russia..)
    Last edited by Sookie; 10-10-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Because listening to JVG treat every nba coach like red Auerbach is entertaining....

He thought Obie was unfairly persecuted in Indiana too, or have you forgotten that....

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Magic was significantly worse on television than Shaq or Reggie.

That is a tremendous feat.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Because listening to JVG treat every nba coach like red Auerbach is entertaining....

He thought Obie was unfairly persecuted in Indiana too, or have you forgotten that....
    Wasn't that SVG?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post: