Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 games at Wembley in 2014!

Default 3 games at Wembley in 2014!

In response to growing fan support of American football in the
    United Kingdom, we will take another important step in our international
    development in 2014 when, for the first time, three regular-season games will
    be played in the UK. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the news this
    week at the league's fall meeting in Washington, DC.>>

The Jacksonville Jaguars,
    Atlanta Falcons,
    and Oakland Raiders
    each will play one home game in London next year at Wembley Stadium. The dates
    of the games and opponents for each club will be announced later this season.>>

Details
    of the ticket sales process for these games will be released in due course.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 3 games at Wembley in 2014!

I'd be beyond furious if the Colts ever lost a home game to London. It's not fair to take a home game away from communities who built stadiums with taxpayer dollars.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Next year the Colts won't be the home team it will be Raiders/Falcons/Jaguars

Regardless its time to bring back my annual "I hate NFL games in London" rant. Look if is preseason fine but regular season games? There's only 8 the home fans experience per yer per team why should that be taken away from us for a country that when they think of football its called "soccer" here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Next year the Colts won't be the home team it will be Raiders/Falcons/Jaguars

Regardless its time to bring back my annual "I hate NFL games in London" rant. Look if is preseason fine but regular season games? There's only 8 the home fans experience per yer per team why should that be taken away from us for a country that when they think of football its called "soccer" here.
    I agree.

The home field advantage that those 8 games give you is precious. Take away just one of those games when you go to a neutral field, and it could make a difference. I'm worried that sooner or later it's going to happen to the Colts. I just hope that they are the "away" team. It seems that they pick new teams every year, right? Sooner or later, we're going to be on a relatively short list of teams that haven't played there.

Indianapolis taxpayers paid for most of Lucas Oil Stadium. Most new stadiums are built with huge amounts of taxpayer dollars, though Lucas Oil has one of the most lopsided ratios in the NFL. If we're going to pay for the stadium, then at least let us have the 8 game at home. The Colts have a great home field advantage and it would suck big time if we ever lost a game here. It's just not fair to penalize the fans who support these teams in their home markets. And I'm just looking at it from the Colts' perspective. You can say the exact same thing about any of the teams that have played as the "home" team there. I feel bad for the Vikings fans that missed out on a home game this year. I feel bad for the Falcons next year, a team who will be missing out on a game with great home field advantage in their dome.

The money grub Goodell needs to worry about fixing Jacksonville's miserable situation in Jacksonville instead of shipping them off to London for a game just so he can line his pockets some more.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-10-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Hilarious that the Falcons turned ****** just in time to go to England.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Hilarious that the Falcons turned ****** just in time to go to England.
    This Falcons team reminds me of that 2001 Colts team that went 6-10 after having fantastic seasons in 1999 and 2000. We lost Edge, they have lost Julio. We had a lot of talent, but everything that could go wrong did, just like it is for them this year. I think they'll bounce back strong next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This Falcons team reminds me of that 2001 Colts team that went 6-10 after having fantastic seasons in 1999 and 2000. We lost Edge, they have lost Julio. We had a lot of talent, but everything that could go wrong did, just like it is for them this year. I think they'll bounce back strong next year.
    I dunno maybe, they are a lot older than that Colts team IMO. Plus Matt Ryan is good, but he's not Peyton.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I dunno maybe, they are a lot older than that Colts team IMO. Plus Matt Ryan is good, but he's not Peyton.
    True. Ryan is still young for a QB though, and Julio should have plenty of great years left if he heals properly.

I don't think that they'll ever win a Super Bowl like we did, but I do think that they'll return to being a decent team next season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It always drives me nuts that a team loses a home game because of this London game. Of course there is the obvious lost of home field advantage in a game because it is now on a neutral field. As others have pointed out the city that ends up paying for most of these monster stadium loses an entire game where they can make some money.

I just do not see how having a team in London is the end game for this. I could see having a team in Toronto, but all the way across the pond is a bit much. How many free agents will want to go over there and play while friends and family stay here in the states? It is one thing to catch a flight from say NY to Florida, but from London to Florida is a much bigger deal. So how many players they draft will want to re-sign with them? They will probably have to overpay a bunch just to keep their own guys. I just see being in London as negative on the business side of the game. Competitively they probably would be pretty good because teams traveling all the way over there would be at a huge disadvantage.

The travel for the London team would be terrible with 8 different flights across the pond. They would have to do a lot of work with the schedule to really combat travel issues.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Putting a team in London would be an incredibly stupid thing to do IMO, but I think the NFL will do it at some point soon.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    They would have to do a lot of work with the schedule to really combat travel issues.
    Work the road trips around a teams bye week. And with Thursday nite games, there's another break before or after a game. They'll figure it out. There's money to be made. 'nuff said.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does it really matter if you move a Jacksonville home game though? They had attendance issues even when they were good.

I sort of want them to have a team in London just to see if it works. If it doesn't we'll make jokes forever but if it does good for them. The NFL is really the only American sports league that could try it.

I have read surveys indicating that most UK NFL fans already have a preferred team which would make it very hard for them to embrace Jacksonville. If the Concord (which I think would entail a 3-4 hour flight to London from the East Coast) is ever reintroduced in a safe way I could maybe it could work having a team over there. However, a lot of players don't want to uproot their families and move to another country (silly I think since the UK isn't that far away and London is VERY similar to NYC culturally) and of course you have the tax issue (more legitimate). For better or worse, a lot of players will try to never get drafted there or demand trades, it would be a sticky situation. Plus, the NFL is cool as a novelty, but attendance wise could it really compete with Premier League in terms of attendance and TV rating every week? If Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea are all playing home games can you still get at least 60,000 to watch the NFL possibly the same day or day after?

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Does it really matter if you move a Jacksonville home game though? They had attendance issues even when they were good.
    That's a fair point. But Atlanta? The Dome is always packed. Sucks to penalize those fans.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Yeah, but I don't think you further alienate the fans by taking home games away. If they had done that to the Pacers in say 2007, we might not be on this board right now. That is, unless the NFL has given up on Jacksonville already.

A few facts instead of sentiments:

avg attendance at Wembley stadium = sold out aka 90,000 +
    avg ticket prices is $ 350
    both teams get their "normal" amount of the gate, it does not stay in the UK, NFL London organises the games and the costs are taken out, just like in the USA before there is an assignment of profit.
    lead-in and build up is weeks in advance, parade on Oxford Street etc for all teams.
    multiple tv stations now carry the games, including the BBC, commercial radio stations are now running Sunday night games on the radio (every week during NFL Season)
    Lots of events (like meeting Luck) are only available for UK registered fans of the teams, several have local(uk) fan clubs.
    there's loads of tailgate parties
    ALL the NFL is doing is proving that a stadium like Wembley can sell out 8 homegames @ 90K+ a game, how many teams in the USA can say that?
    the difference in flight time between London - NY and NY CA - 35 minutes.
    Tax? players would be contracted by USA company and have so many ways to avoid taxes here it is insane, once you earn more then 250k a year here you stop paying tax, mostly once you are over 1 mio you never pay tax or definitely no more than 50k
    Losing a homegame? NFL makes sure EU fan of the home team AND US fans have priority on the tickets, LOTS of priority, this year the JAGS were the 1st team to not sell out their allocation of fan tickets, the leftovers were sold here for approx. 450 a pop and sold out in 10 minutes.

Final fact: you don't live alone on this bowl we call world, people looked crosseyed at me if I said I went shoppin in paris on a Saturday whilst I lived in the Netherlands, a mere 4 hour drive, do shopping, get great dinner, stay the night and some more shopping and a leisure drive back.

it will be the same, you guys are now getting more serious about what you call soccer, wait till you can qualify a team for the "champions league" and I bet that you would be ab le to oversell tickets for away matches (IN EU) at rates you would think were the price of a new car.

get with the program, we are moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post

both teams get their "normal" amount of the gate, it does not stay in the UK, NFL London organises the games and the costs are taken out, just like in the USA before there is an assignment of profit.
    lead-in and build up is weeks in advance, parade on Oxford Street etc for all teams.
    multiple tv stations now carry the games, including the BBC, commercial radio stations are now running Sunday night games on the radio (every week during NFL Season)
    Lots of events (like meeting Luck) are only available for UK registered fans of the teams, several have local(uk) fan clubs.
    ALL the NFL is doing is proving that a stadium like Wembley can sell out 8 homegames @ 90K+ a game, how many teams in the USA can say that?
    Tax? players would be contracted by USA company and have so many ways to avoid taxes here it is insane, once you earn more then 250k a year here you stop paying tax, mostly once you are over 1 mio you never pay tax or definitely no more than 50k
    Losing a homegame? NFL makes sure EU fan of the home team AND US fans have priority on the tickets, LOTS of priority, this year the JAGS were the 1st team to not sell out their allocation of fan tickets, the leftovers were sold here for approx. 450 a pop and sold out in 10 minutes.

Final fact: you don't live alone on this bowl we call world, people looked crosseyed at me if I said I went shoppin in paris on a Saturday whilst I lived in the Netherlands, a mere 4 hour drive, do shopping, get great dinner, stay the night and some more shopping and a leisure drive back.

it will be the same, you guys are now getting more serious about what you call soccer, wait till you can qualify a team for the "champions league" and I bet that you would be ab le to oversell tickets for away matches (IN EU) at rates you would think were the price of a new car.

So if the Colts lost a home game to London, would the NFL reimburse all of the downtown businesses for the lost 12.5% (1/8) of gameday revenues that they make from Colts home games? Of course not. And that's why it's unfair.

No one is arguing against the fact that it's a big moneymaker for the NFL and London. And no one is denying that the teams themselves still get gate money. What we're saying is that it's unfair for the communities whose taxes pay for the stadiums. Did London taxpayers finance Lucas Oil Stadium or any of the other NFL stadiums? Of course not. It wouldn't be fair to the Indy taxpayer to take away one of only eight games. It wouldn't be fair to the downtown businesses to take away 1/8 of their NFL season revenue. These are the people who support the Colts all year long on a financial and emotional level. They deserve all eight games and nothing less. Sure there are some wealthy people in Indy who could afford to fly to London to see the game, but it's just a tiny minority. Most would lose out on that game.

If the NFL is so obsessed with London, then they should put a team there. It's unfair to keep stealing home games from communities who finance these stadiums.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

no but London people did pay additional taxes and still are for Wembley to the tune of close to $2,000,000,000.00

Jags average how many ?
    just because the Colts made out l like a thief, unlike the Pacers who are blamed to cost to much, don't mean they not to be a part, did you notice that no matter how many teams went, Colts didn't?
    perhaps NFL let them choose.

who knows but no matter what I would love to have the Colts here for a game, home or away
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

no but London people did pay additional taxes and still are for Wembley to the tune of close to $2,000,000,000.00

Jags average how many ?
    just because the Colts made out l like a thief, unlike the Pacers who are blamed to cost to much, don't mean they not to be a part, did you notice that no matter how many teams went, Colts didn't?
    perhaps NFL let them choose.

who knows but no matter what I would love to have the Colts here for a game, home or away

I would love to go to a Colts game in London if they were an away team. That would certainly make for a fun vacation. I'd just hate it if they were the home team and lost a game here.

But these London games are certainly a huge financial success for the NFL, no doubt about it. The NFL is only interested in doing things that make a lot of money, and they keep doing these every year. So they're obviously a huge financial success.

I am with you on most of these points but I worry about whether London will ever sustain a team long term.

Look, I have lived in Europe, have a foreign wife, and travel overseas at least 2-3 times a year so I am with you on people acting too provincial about this. Right now many NFL players don't want to live in London though, you have to remember a large number of NFL players are from the inner city and prior to playing in college may have never left the state or even city they grew up in. I think eventually players would get acclimated to living there but it would take time.

But you talk about supporters clubs and the weeks of build up to the game, do you think London could support a team every week, especially when the NFL plays on weekends when tens of thousands of fans all around the country are at Premier League games? Do you think London fans would ditch the teams they like now for the new home team? I have been a Tottenham supporter for many years and even if the Fulham owner moved the team to Washington I would not change my allegiance.

Sometimes I wonder if they'll just start having one game there every week, and teams and fans will have to get used to the fact their team will have to play in London every X years. It will just be a fact of life for each U.S. fan.

And that tax money goes where? Certainly not to Indy nor it's residents, so their taxes mean nothing for the people that are missing out.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

You would never see two BPL teams play a BPL match that would count in the standings in America. Call it a sentiment or an opinion or whatever you want, it's the truth. And I feel the NFL should behave the same way. Could you imagine Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U, Man City, Chelsea, etc. giving up a crucial precious home game in the BPL table to come play in NYC? Hell no.

Beyond that, the flight time comment comparing NY to London to NY to CA is fine in one off scenarios, how often does a NY team fly to CA? Maybe once every 2-3 years? A London based team would be flying here EIGHT times. Their divisional members would have to fly over there yearly. There's a reason NFL divisions are divided by region. In the concept of a one off trip, sure, it's not that much different, but I am totally opposed as a fan to these games that count being in London.

Also, "Champions League" already exists for CONCACAF just exists for UEFA, we do play into a worldwide championship that is almost always won by the European champion. An American team will never qualify into the UEFA CL.

If y'all want to enjoy an NFL game, I'm cool with that, but it should be a preseason game. It shouldn't be a game that counts in the standings. Or they should just add a franchise, but my concerns of travel which I stated above are then looming large.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 10-11-2013 at 03:55 PM.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I would love to go to a Colts game in London if they were an away team. That would certainly make for a fun vacation. I'd just hate it if they were the home team and lost a game here.

But these London games are certainly a huge financial success for the NFL, no doubt about it. The NFL is only interested in doing things that make a lot of money, and they keep doing these every year. So they're obviously a huge financial success.

Speaking of the NFL and money, saw a disturbing fact today, the NFL rakes 45% of the proceeds from the any pink gear they sell for breast cancer awareness, only about 3% makes it to charity.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if they'll just start having one game there every week, and teams and fans will have to get used to the fact their team will have to play in London every X years. It will just be a fact of life for each U.S. fan.
    Good Lord. What a pile of horse dung that would be.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: