Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 96

Thread: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,527

    Default Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    First we will start off by saying what everyone already knows, it was a pre-season game, in the grand scheme of things it means nothing and has virtually no impact on our team or their team going forward. I say that because some of my observations are just going to be direct and to the point and I know someone is going to want to say “but it’s pre-season”. I know it’s pre-season so I hope to avoid those conversations.

    • I don’t care who is on our team, I don’t care what player we put on him. For whatever reason Taj Gibson is our Lord and Master. We just do not nor have we ever been able to match up to this guy. He abused Tyler when he was here and he now continues in the tradition by abusing Lois Scola. He’s a very good player, should be a starter & would be a on a lot of teams but there’s just no reason this guy should be this much trouble for us.
    • The fact that Jimmy Butler was called for 1 foul this entire game should be the basis of a Masters Thesis for someone. Brian Urlacher didn’t have as much contact in a normal game as what Butler did tonight yet not only did he only get one foul he went to the foul line himself 12 effen times. He attempted 1 less free throw than our entire starting lineup.
    • Derrick Rose certainly has lost none of his speed and he was making cuts just fine out there, I think any concern about him holding back mentally can be put to rest. He certainly did not appear to be afraid of driving.
    • Much to everyone’s shock, Bulls fans are still the most obnoxious group of horses @sses that have ever walked the planet. I can safely say that tonight we were either right at a 50/50 split or the sad truth is there may actually have been more of them present tonight. I never want to see them in the playoffs ever again and honestly I wish they wouldn’t come back this year for a game here at all. They are actually so bad that they are the one fan base that actually takes away my enjoyment of the game.
    • Our shooting was bad, our rebounding was worse. I don’t mind all of the missed shots, some of them where actually comical because they were either a foot short or long on many of our misses. However I can’t stand being outworked on the board. We lost the board battle by almost 20 and if you would have asked me right after the game I would have told you it was worse than that.
    • BTW, we already saw how the NBA is going to call the Derrick Rose throwing his body into a stationary Roy Hibbert. Get used to it.
    • Might as well just deal with this right now. Danny looked like crap. He looked out of place all night and obviously he couldn’t hit water from a boat. I can live with that, he always starts slow. But the zero rebounds was so offensive I was ready to ship him off on the Asian trip at half time.
    • On the other hand Danny physically looked fine. He looked a little winded but given the amount of min. he played I think that’s understandable seeing as how he hasn’t played for so long. But he was able to cut just fine and he was running okay with it. I haven’t heard any post game reports about him though.
    • Paul George, when he wasn’t fouling someone, was just a beast. He had a stretch in the 3rd quarter that was just absolutely magical, however short lived due to foul issues.
    • Here is an interesting thing, just prior to Paul fouling out Corbeil told Danny that he was done for the night, Danny asked why with a very confused look on his face and Josh seemed to indicate it was his knee and it was a min. limit to which Danny disgustedly said “man” and then Josh further questioned him about the knee and Danny indicated he was good to go and Josh shook his head okay and then Danny set down. It wasn’t but a few min. after that conversation took place that Paul fouled out and Danny came back.
    • CJ Watson is going to be a blessing as time goes on I have a feeling. I had forgotten how actually good he was at penetrating and dishing. He would have had several more assists but players were missing their shots (Granger) or dropping the ball (Mahinmi). He didn’t have overly impressive stats but I can tell you from seeing him in person he knows how to be a point guard and not suck on defense.
    • Solomon Hill is shorter than I thought. Standing next to Granger he was easily a good 2-3” shorter. He has a good nose for defense and isn’t afraid to mix it up on the boards. Hard to judge in one appearance but from some of his rebound attempts I’d say he can’t jump very high. I don’t know what his vertical was but tonight if he had it, it wasn’t on display. We won’t mention the shot I’m sure he’d rather not talk about.
    • The way West started out the game I thought he was going to be going for the DPOY this year. Straight up blocked Rose on a drive to the basket and easily had his hands in there disrupting the ball all night long. His shot was on, in other words he picked up where he left off.
    • Roy had an uneven night.
    • I wanted the Pacers to let Lance guard Rose for a play or two just to see how it would work. I think he can do it for spurts and his lack of respect for anyone would drive Rose up the wall. Perfect from the line, good shot selection and he made a real effort on the boards. I think he is going to have to look for his own shot a little more but overall a good game.
    • Scola had a rough debut but there certainly were signs of what he can be and what our bench can be if he could just get his shot to drop.
    • Ian was Ian. I really liked him at the beginning of last season but his inability to hold onto perfectly passed balls really makes me like him a lot less.
    • I’ve saved the worst for last. We were trying to win that game. What I mean by that was that Frank treated that far more like a regular season game than a pre-season game. Just look at our rotations and the amount of min. our starters played. I’m not sure the Bulls did. Their bench players and even a couple of what I assume will be deep bench players all throughout the game while we didn’t until the very end. In other words our starters and regular rotation players could not overcome the Bulls team minus Noah & a limited Rose. Again, go to the very fist paragraph I wrote so I already know what people are going to say, I’m going to say it as well but to me it was worth noting this.
    • I hate Bulls fans


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,174
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Very nice summary I couldn't and wouldn't have said it better myself.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  4. #3
    PD original FireTheCoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    southport, indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Yeah, Danny looked pretty bad last night. I know, I know, I know he always starts slow......... whatever, I was hoping to see a better game from him. All the talking about it aside, he needs to develop some chemistry with this group, seems to me it is lacking at this point.

    I wasn't overly impressed by anything I saw in the game last night.... meh.

  5. #4
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,586

    Default

    Wish Cope would have gotten more minutes.

    Also, we missed SO MANY shots right at the basket you almost had to laugh. Not a big deal
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Member Miller_time04's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Martinsville
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,300
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Weird how Solo played so much more than Cope.

  8. #6
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,576

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    I didn't see any of the game, but it is really unsettling that you say there may have been more Bulls fans than Pacers fans. I just think we're going to be dealing with big name team bandwagon fans coming in and making it a home game much like they did last year. The Indy fans won't care til about the second round of the Playoffs if we make it that far.

    Just annoys me. Just like how I'm going to see a lot of Seahawk fans later today when I'm in Indy.

    I'm not worried about the team, though. Just ranting.

    Just wish our casual fans were better.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:


  10. #7

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Sheesh! These "observations" (e.g., Bulls fans ) are not odd thoughts at all!
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

  11. #8
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve saved the worst for last. We were trying to win that game. What I mean by that was that Frank treated that far more like a regular season game than a pre-season game. Just look at our rotations and the amount of min. our starters played.
    You think so? The game got away from us during a stretch in the early 4th quarter where he played the bench as a unit for an extended amount of time. There's no reason whatsoever to rest 5 starters at once with this squad... we should have 3 or 4 of our top 7 players in at all times.

    If we're trying to win games, I don't ever want to see Ian/Scola/Danny/Solomon/CJ as a unit. I like each one of those guys, but let's mix in some starters to play with Danny and Scola.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,062

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Why do you think the rebounding was so bad? We were at or near the top of the league last year.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  14. #10
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,997

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    The national media and most of the basketball world is probably discounting the Pacers after this game. I would say we have something to prove at this point. That's not a bad situation to be in. I thought we had passed the Bulls, but that may not be the case at all.

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,473

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The national media and most of the basketball world is probably discounting the Pacers after this game. I would say we have something to prove at this point. That's not a bad situation to be in. I thought we had passed the Bulls, but that may not be the case at all.
    I agree.

    Let's not forget that this Bulls team had a better record than Miami in both 2011 and 2012. They are really really good. If Rose can stay explosive like he was last night, then this team is obviously going to be tough to beat for the Central Division crown.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  18. #12
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,109

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    I might be alone but I don't really take much away from this game at all. First pre season game of the year after what sounded like a long brutal training camp, and before along brutal flight to Asia. More than anything guys missed shots (esp Roy down low, Paul before the 3rd, and Danny from everywhere--all night) the lack of effort rebounding makes me queasy but again pre season game number one.

    If the national media writes us off because of that game, we weren't highly thought of in the first place lol.

    I look forward to how we look in our next game. But until game 1 of 82; I don't know if we should get too excited or too disappointed about anything we see from a team who's looking to make a deep playoff run.

    Edit: I will agree on we have something to prove to our central division nemesis bulls later down the line. They were much more physical, active and aggressive and we definitely need to step that up as that's normally our style


    Ps--this post is coming from a guy who was PISSED watching last nights effort live. As my gf says, true fans live and die by each game. Lol
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 10-06-2013 at 09:38 AM.

  19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  20. #13
    Member ejwallace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    I completely agree with what you said about Danny. I specifically watched him most of the game, and was pretty disappointed with his effort. He wasn't following his shots, slow to close out on shooters, wasn't getting a hand up in shooters faces, wasn't crashing the boards, and missed several little bunnies at the rim...He was also very slow getting down the court in transition...At one point in the second quarter, due to foul trouble on George, Danny was running with the starters and was outworked and out hustled by ALL of them...It almost looked like he was somewhat lethargic. It almost seemed like he just wasn't into the game....Hell, at the end of the game Dunleavy was guarding him, and vice versa, and from what I saw it looked like Dunleavy got the better of him...

    I realize that Danny is typically slow to start the season, and that he is still "testing" out his knee, but it just seemed like his drive and passion wasn't there last night....I want to see The Captain that's jawing with Lebron and stealing Novak's "discount double check" instead of just jogging back and forth...

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:


  22. #14

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    One thing to keep in mind, and I may be wrong -- Pacers are more of a playoff team than a regular season team. I think they may have a "disappointing" season by SOME fans' standards. Maybe "only" 3rd-5th in the East. But I would fully expect them to be the toughest, deepest team in the playoffs, then, provided they make it in healthy.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  24. #15
    Member TOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,854

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I might be alone but I don't really take much away from this game at all.
    And rightfully so.

    I've never really paid attention to NBA preseason games but I know the NFL, many teams have gone 4-0 in preseason only to be horrible during the regular season and teams have gone 0-4 only to be amazing the rest of the season.

    I question anyone who takes anything away from preseason let alone the first preseason game. Even the regular season is irrelevant to the playoffs. The 67-15 Mavs and 42-40 Warriors know what I'm talking about.

  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:


  26. #16
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,208

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    ^^Well that's how it is. I mean if you start to get worried for a preseason match let alone the first of it, then you're wrongly reading too much into it. This is the time to test systems and player sets and your fringe players to take playing minutes.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:


  28. #17
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    5,190

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Bad effort was the rebounding problem. They weren't chasing the ball at all.

  29. #18
    The Mole ColeTheMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The national media and most of the basketball world is probably discounting the Pacers after this game.
    Wait what?
    DG for 3

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:


  31. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Danny reminded me of Michael Redd on his second come back in Phoenix, slow, no hustle, hanging out around the 3 point line a lot, he was so lost on defense that brought a lot of bad memories back(the JOB years).

    Copeland is what I expected, a longer version of Gerald Green the guy shoots open or not, he doesn't give a damn about passing the ball and taking a better shot.

    Mahinmi? meh.

    West, Paul George, Lance, Hill and Hibbert looked in really good shape, Paul George was showing us a little bit of his "super star" mode.

    Scola didn't hit shots but is nice to see a guy not quitting on plays he is going to be great, same with Watson.

  32. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bad effort was the rebounding problem. They weren't chasing the ball at all.
    That was the deciding factor IMO and it wasn't just Granger although he was guilty of it as much as anyone. We did have a couple of bad calls and I hope our staff keeps pushing going vertical with the league. That call against Roy with Rose jumping into him was BS. It's worth it for the front office to make an issue of how that's called with the league.

  33. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny reminded me of Michael Redd on his second come back in Phoenix, slow, no hustle, hanging out around the 3 point line a lot, he was so lost on defense that brought a lot of bad memories back(the JOB years).

    .
    All I would say here is that I agree with some of what you say. He didn't hustle and didn't look good on D, several of our players didn't. Granger didn't just stand around the 3 point line though. He moved very well with the ball which gives us an indication that his knee was not an issue. I'm not worried about him picking it up in the next few games. That alone makes it a positive game for Danny.

  34. #22
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,109

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I would say here is that I agree with some of what you say. He didn't hustle and didn't look good on D, several of our players didn't. Granger didn't just stand around the 3 point line though. He moved very well with the ball which gives us an indication that his knee was not an issue. I'm not worried about him picking it up in the next few games. That alone makes it a positive game for Danny.
    Danny actually had a few moments of "burst" (fastbreak layup he missed, and a few catching the ball on the move in half court) where he got to where he wanted, but couldn't finish. In fact I only remember 2 3pt attempts (edit: he took 3) so he definitely wasn't hanging around the 3pt line.

    Physically he looked fine, mentally though the game was a bit too fast for him.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 10-06-2013 at 11:21 AM.

  35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  36. #23
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,040
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Our rotations played heavy minutes because we don't play until Wednesday. They will be on a plane for 18 hours. They played heavy minutes not to win, but for conditioning.

  37. #24
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Physically he looked fine, mentally though the game was a bit too fast for him.
    Agreed. There were repeated instances where Danny hesitated just a little, which threw off a shot or a rebound. This is why they're feeding him minutes right now; to break off the rust and let him gain confidence in the knee.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  39. #25
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

    Not to make this a political discussion, but sometimes I wish the government shutdown would have covered I-65. The vermin in red was THAT bad last night. I saw one getting carried out of the next to G2 by the security guard lovingly known as Lurch and getting cuffed by two IMPD officers before being led out of the building, and the ones to the left of Area 55 weren't much better.

    Bloody vermin. Im pretty sure they thought they won the preseason championship or something.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •