Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Colts-Broncos

Default Re: Colts-Broncos

Would nice to see Peyton or some the Broncos bust out in a lightsaber duel for the TD celebrations. Maybe Peyton could pull out The Force choke on his receiver. Of course in reference to the Star Wars offense.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

To each his own on the celebration part I guess. I would think living through the Curtis Painter season would have been punishment enough for some people but I guess not. You're sure you were a Colts fan before the jaded season?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually Roaming Gnome built LOS, and the taxpayers, and Irsay, and Peyton Manning by his popularity.

After awhile this Peyton Manning built Lucas Oil gets a little old. Next we'll be seeing the blind claim Peyton healed them and I can't wait for the piece of toast that has the miracle image of Peyton's face burnt on it.

Side note: So who built the fieldhouse? Was it Reggie, was it Larry Bird the coach?

It is a figure of speech. Nobody gave a crap about the Colts here in Indy. Sure they jumped on the bandwagon a bit when we had Captain Comeback, but overall nobody cared about the Colts. Once we drafted Peyton and he lead this team to become one of the best franchises of the decade. The city then turnd into a football city and the pacers became second fiddle. Without Manning and Polian this team is about as revelnt in the NFL as the Jags are.

The problem most people have with what Irsay said is because he basically crapped on a decade of success that only two other franchises had. He crapped on a decade of success that actually made his franchise relative in the NFL.

Of course, Irsay may have not meant for it to come odd that way, but his naive to think him saying what he did would come off as anything but that way. All this does is make him come off as another Jerry Jones.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

To each his own on the celebration part I guess. I would think living through the Curtis Painter season would have been punishment enough for some people but I guess not. You're sure you were a Colts fan before the jaded season?

I don't blame people for being turned off by the Colts with the "The Decision" to this day I'm still upset and really that was the beginning of the end of the Manning era the #1 draft pick was just the final nail on the coffin.

I mean the complete hypocrisy of it all still galls me it doesn't matter about going undefeated yet Manning's consecutive start streak and the players getting their stats was more important..

And in the end we didn't even win the SB(if we did I think people would've probably been a bit more accepting of it) so what was the point? At least Pats fans don't have any regrets.

I mean that kind of mentality is a large part of why the Colts were such underachievers to begin with.

That being said I don't use that as a reason to dislike the Colts of today because most of them had nothing to do with that.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    That being said I don't use that as a reason to dislike the Colts of today because most of them had nothing to do with that.
    Oh I agree and hated the decision not to go for the perfect season. Just hard for me to believe someone who was a fan got turned off so much they are no longer a fan of the team and actually will root for the Petyon Broncos to rub it in Irsay's face. Well it's not just Irsay, it will also be in the Colt fans faces as well.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    It is a figure of speech.
    Cool I know that. Here's a new one. The House Andrew Luck makes payments on.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Oh I agree and hated the decision not to go for the perfect season. Just hard for me to believe someone who was a fan got turned off so much they are no longer a fan of the team and actually will root for the Petyon Broncos to rub it in Irsay's face. Well it's not just Irsay, it will also be in the Colt fans faces as well.
    NO really I was a huge Colts fan back in the day, 1st Superbowl in Miami I was on cloud nine, beating the Patriots like we did in the AFC Championship game...it was a cathartic moment. But the Colts organization spit on everyone when the decided to pull the starters and essentially throw that game against the Jets. Sure I was thrilled we made the Superbowl again, sucks that we lost. But after reflecting on that season and all that happened, only to end in a Superbowl loss. Then seeing Brady and Pats do it the next year, and seeing how they wanted to make history. They wanted to be the undisputed #1 team of all time. It really galled me as a Colts fan that my team/ organization did not carry themselves with the same standards the year before. Even though they too lost their perfect season, at least it was in the actual Super Bowl that they lost. They did not shy away from big moments as an organization. That is a big reason why Brady and Patriots won 3 Superbowls.

So my from my perspective, it has nothing to do with the Players who are here now. Its all about the Leadership and Ownership that spit in our faces on the cusp of making history. Irsay is at the top, and thus I just can't bring myself to truly root for them anymore.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    NO really I was a huge Colts fan back in the day, 1st Superbowl in Miami I was on cloud nine, beating the Patriots like we did in the AFC Championship game...it was a cathartic moment. But the Colts organization spit on everyone when the decided to pull the starters and essentially throw that game against the Jets. Sure I was thrilled we made the Superbowl again, sucks that we lost. But after reflecting on that season and all that happened, only to end in a Superbowl loss. Then seeing Brady and Pats do it the next year, and seeing how they wanted to make history. They wanted to be the undisputed #1 team of all time. It really galled me as a Colts fan that my team/ organization did not carry themselves with the same standards the year before. Even though they too lost their perfect season, at least it was in the actual Super Bowl that they lost. They did not shy away from big moments as an organization. That is a big reason why Brady and Patriots won 3 Superbowls.

So my from my perspective, it has nothing to do with the Players who are here now. Its all about the Leadership and Ownership that spit in our faces on the cusp of making history. Irsay is at the top, and thus I just can't bring myself to truly root for them anymore.
    Brady and the Pats had a perfect regular season in 2007. The Colts p*ssed away their chance at theirs in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Brady and the Pats had a perfect regular season in 2007. The Colts p*ssed away their chance at theirs in 2009.
    Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post

Lets get real though. At that time it was Polian who ran the franchise. You should be mad at Polian only and he's not even here. Polian was so much in charge in those days that he even tried to appoint his son as his successor. Yes, Irsay should have ditched Polian way sooner than he did, but only now has Irsay regained his team somewhat and has much more say in what goes on and the blueprint of the team. I was as pissed as you that we threw away a perfect season, but now that Polian is gone I have no issues.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Lets get real though. At that time it was Polian who ran the franchise. You should be mad at Polian only and he's not even here. Polian was so much in charge in those days that he even tried to appoint his son as his successor. Yes, Irsay should have ditched Polian way sooner than he did, but only now has Irsay regained his team somewhat and has much more say in what goes on and the blueprint of the team. I was as pissed as you that we threw away a perfect season, but now that Polian is gone I have no issues.
    Irsay was still the owner, and allowed it to happen. He could have overruled him if he didn't agree with the approach, but he didn't. The buck stops with the owner.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Would've loved to try and go for the perfect regular season in 09, but they weren't winning in the snow in Buffalo the last game, Peyton just isn't designed for that, and the Bills would've gone all out.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Irsay was still the owner, and allowed it to happen. He could have overruled him if he didn't agree with the approach, but he didn't. The buck stops with the owner.
    I'd assume at that point Irsay still believed in Polian. Plus, Irsay hired Polian to make those kinds of decisions whether he liked it or not. Maybe he thought it best to let the manager manage.

Of course maybe that is one of the reasons Irsay lost faith and ultimately decided it was time for Polian to go. For all we know, maybe that was the beginning of the end?

I'm not sure I want Irsay over-ruling the coaches and the management. IMO he should've fired Polian before he did, but on the other hand, AFAIK he allowed Polian to do his job and didn't micromanage him.

I despise Polian and not going for the perfect season is one of the reasons. His arrogance is another. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that one of the reasons he didn't go for the perfect season was because the fans wanted it and the media and pundits were mostly on the side of going for it, so Polian, being the contrarian and thinking himself the smartest man in the room, did the opposite just to spite everyone. The main thing I have against him is how year after year, once the Colts' were figured out and the Achilles heel (run defense) was on display every weekend funneling teams into the perfect gameplan to beat the Colts, he didn't address it. He scoffed at fans and media who complained about it as not being 'football people'.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Irsay regrets not doing that in hindsight. But Irsay paid Bill and his ill-equipped son Fredo big money to make those sort of decisions. I'm sure that at the time, he didn't want to cross the line of meddling into how they ran a team that was at the top of the NFL. Though when it comes to something as big as the perfect season, I think it would have been appropriate for him to say something. That's a bit different than telling them who to pick in the fourth round. But as was mentioned earlier, Irsay had clearly allowed the Polians to have too much control of the franchise. Thankfully Irsay came to his senses and realized that Bill handing over the reigns to his son Fredo was an awful idea.

I really do think that was the beginning if the end for NaPolian in Indy. It's not a good thing when the President of a small market team is essentially telling the fans and local media to screw off. And by quitting on the perfect season, we pretty much gave the middle finger to everything that the NFL and professional sports stands for. We embarrassed the entire league with the whole country watching. The NFL couldn't have been happy about it either. And perhaps most importantly, we dishonored our HOF QB by not allowing him that opportunity. But that horse has been beaten to death. I do think that Irsay realized that the team had to get a bit "friendlier" with the local media and fans when they could no longer rely on Peyton for popularity. You won't see Grigs ever berating fans.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-18-2013 at 09:44 AM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'm sick of all this crap. I just want to beat the crap out of the Broncos tonight. Nothing less will satisfy my anger. GO COLTS.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I'm sick of all this crap. I just want to beat the crap out of the Broncos tonight. Nothing less will satisfy my anger. GO COLTS.

All of the elite national NFL media might as well just put on #18 Bronco jerseys tonight. I don't know if I've ever seen the media so biased in the outcome of a game. They are just dying for Peyton to come in here and stick it to the Colts. I sure hope we spoil their dream story. It's going to be a national day of mourning on ESPN tomorrow if the Broncos lose this game. Mort and Schefty will be inconsolable.

GO COLTS!!!!!!
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-20-2013 at 11:57 AM.

The media is always biased why does this surprise you?

They go for a better story it fits the narrative if the Broncos win than the Colts who personality wise are rather dull(to be honest they've always been which is fine for me but to to the media who always focuses on the negative)

I don't have an issue with it.

Regardless of the outcome it won't change the fact that one team loses and other team wins. That's all this game is to me anyways.

I mean nobody here will think going with Luck was the wrong choice right?
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 10-20-2013 at 12:10 PM.

The media is always biased why does this surprise you?

They go for a better story it fits the narrative if the Broncos win than the Colts who personality wise are rather dull(to be honest they've always been which is fine for me but to to the media who always focuses on the negative)

I don't have an issue with it.
    I never said that I was surprised by it.

Should've waited till after he retired to do all this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ield/#comments

Colts will play Peyton Manning tribute as Broncos enter the field

Posted by Mike Florio on October 19, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT

Getty Images
    Colts owner Jim Irsay has promised a “great tribute” of former Colts quarterback Peyton Manning.

According to WISH-TV, the tribute will come in the form of a video played when the Broncos are introduced.

As we explained on Friday, Manning won’t be individually introduced. By league rule (which was adopted fairly recently), the visiting team now must be introduced as a group.

The video is expected to be fairly short, and the Broncos believe, we’re told, that it will have no impact on Manning’s pregame preparations, which are notoriously meticulous.

Other pregame distractions aren’t likely, since Manning spends limited time on the field before a game. Unlike plenty of other players, Manning enters the field only when he’s fully dressed in his uniform, as part of the structured warmups.

Should've waited till after he retired to do all this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ield/#comments

Why? Even Kelvin Hayden got a video tribute when he returned with the Falcons in 2011. Cato June also got one in 2007 when he returned with Tampa. We obviously gave Saturday one last year when he returned with the Packers.

So why would we not give one to the greatest player in franchise history?

Peyton got to say goodbye the fans in the press conference. Peyton got to say goodbye to his teammates. Peyton got to say goodbye to the media. Irsay got to say goodbye to Peyton, and vice-versa. But the fans never got to say goodbye to Peyton. No one could have ever dreamed that the Jets game would be the last time he had a horseshoe on his dome. The fans deserve the opportunity to give him a round of applause tonight.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Why? Even Kelvin Hayden got a video tribute when he returned with the Falcons in 2011. Cato June also got one in 2007 when he returned with Tampa. We obviously gave Saturday one last year when he returned with the Packers.

So why would we not give one to the greatest player in franchise history?

Peyton got to say goodbye the fans in the press conference. Peyton got to say goodbye to his teammates. Peyton got to say goodbye to the media. Irsay got to say goodbye to Peyton, and vice-versa. But the fans never got to say goodbye to Peyton. No one could have ever dreamed that the Jets game would be the last time he had a horseshoe on his dome. The fans deserve the opportunity to give him a round of applause tonight.

I would've waited for retirement after Saturday as the other two weren't nearly as impactful for the Colts if given the choice but obviously Manning is different than the others we said our goodbye to him when he was cut it wasn't the nicest sendoff but it rarely is in professional sports a pregame tribute won't change that.

I'd say Manning was the greatest in the Indy Era Colts but not Colts in general with Unitas as an option.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 10-20-2013 at 01:14 PM.

I would've waited for retirement after Saturday as the other two weren't nearly as impactful for the Colts if given the choice but obviously Manning is different than the others we said our goodbye to him when he was cut it wasn't the nicest sendoff but it rarely is in professional sports a pregame tribute won't change that.

I'd say Manning was the greatest in the Indy Era Colts but not Colts in general with Unitas as an option.
    My point was that he's the best player that the Indy fans have ever rooted for. Whether he's better than Unitas doesn't really matter.

There's no way that the Colts could just ignore his return and not do anything. That would be viewed as the ultimate snub.

A pregame tribute doesn't change much, but it does allow the fans to get him a farewell standing ovation that he deserves. You can't run videos of dudes like Kelvin Hayden and Cato June while not doing anything for Peyton Manning.

My point was that he's the best player that the Indy fans have ever rooted for. Whether he's better than Unitas doesn't really matter.

There's no way that the Colts could just ignore his return and not do anything. That would be viewed as the ultimate snub.

A pregame tribute doesn't change much, but it does allow the fans to get him a farewell standing ovation that he deserves. You can't run videos of dudes like Kelvin Hayden and Cato June while not doing anything for Peyton Manning.

Yes but its not just him its going to be the Broncos team with him there's the rub here. That's why I would prefer retirement for these tributes because its just them and them alone.

Yes but its not just him its going to be the Broncos team with him there's the rub here. That's why I would prefer retirement for these tributes because its just them and them alone.
    I don't really mind it. I think it's pretty common and a classy thing to do. Get all the pre-game hugs over with though. I want the Colts to gut the ****ing Broncos once that game starts.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Roof open tonight...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: