Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Colts-Broncos

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colts-Broncos

http://www.indystar.com/interactive/...ng-Oct-20-game

Colts will pay tribute to Peyton Manning at Oct. 20 game

When Peyton Manning returns to Indianapolis in 11 days for a prime-time showdown against his former team, he can expect a hero’s welcome at Lucas Oil Stadium.
    And that will include a gracious reception from the Indianapolis Colts.
    The Colts are planning a tribute for Manning to acknowledge his remarkable contributions during 14 seasons with the franchise, team owner Jim Irsay told USA TODAY Sports.
    Details — including the extent of the tribute, which will likely occur during pregame festivities for the nationally-televised Sunday night game — are still being finalized.
    “We’re going to have a great tribute to him,” Irsay said while in Washington for NFL owners meetings. “It’s going to be something where you go into it wanting to have a lot of fun, where you love Peyton as a Colt fan, but now we’re competing against him.”

The game would have been big enough simply with the Denver Broncos quarterback, a four-time NFL Most Valuable Player, returning to face his former team.
    Yet the game has added value, given the success of the respective franchises.
    It could be a preview of the AFC Championship Game.
    With Manning off to the best start of his career, the Broncos (5-0) head into Sunday’s game against the Jaguars as overwhelming favorites to remain unbeaten. The Colts (4-1), with second-year franchise quarterback Andrew Luck, lead the AFC South and are a legitimate contender as they play at San Diego on Monday night.
    “For this one day, we’re competitors,” Irsay said. “You look for a great game and that’s the main thing.”
    Paying tribute to an opponent comes with an element of risk.
    The Philadelphia Eagles paid homage to former coach Andy Reid when he returned with the Kansas City Chiefs for a Thursday night game in Week 3, and the video tribute and standing ovation set the tone for a huge Kansas City victory.
    Nonetheless, Irsay said that a tribute for Manning is appropriate.
    He can envision the reception.
    “It’ll be tremendous,” Irsay said. “They will cheer, as deserved. When he comes back on the field, I think there will be a boisterous standing ovation, as there should be. He means so much to our franchise.
    “It’s going to be crazy, but mostly it’ll be fun. I hope it’s just a great game.”
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I predict that Trent Richardson will breakout in this game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well hopefully we do not have to many douche fans who boo Peyton. Thankfully we are not like Eagle fans or Bulls fans for the most part.

The worst thing is I will be flying in from Texas right before this game so I will have to be in blackout mode once the flight lands and book it home and catch it on my DVR. This game is going to be nuts and I have no clue how it will turn out.

I could see Peyton just going nuts and dropping 7 touchdowns on us or I could see our team going nuts and just beating the crap out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well hopefully we do not have to many douche fans who boo Peyton. Thankfully we are not like Eagle fans or Bulls fans for the most part.

The worst thing is I will be flying in from Texas right before this game so I will have to be in blackout mode once the flight lands and book it home and catch it on my DVR. This game is going to be nuts and I have no clue how it will turn out.

I could see Peyton just going nuts and dropping 7 touchdowns on us or I could see our team going nuts and just beating the crap out of them.

They'll boo him during the game.

I mean really the Eagles fans applauded for McNabb before the game and then booed him during the game.

Same thing will happen here.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post

I mean really the Eagles fans applauded for McNabb before the game and then booed him during the game.

1) Philly fans suck. This is known.
    2) McNabb != Manning
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    I predict that Trent Richardson will breakout in this game.
    It would be a lovely time to do so. I rather hope he continues to build on his nice second half against Seattle against the Chargers, and then we are really going to need him against Denver. There is no stopping that offense, so we have to control the clock and grind out those long, 10 play 76 yard type of drives that eat up 8 or so minutes. We cannot kick the ball to Trindon Holliday under any circumstances, and we need to try to create a few turnovers, especially when they run the ball.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Interesting stat - Denver has the #1 rush defense and the 32nd pass defense.

I'm sure it's because teams are trying to catch up. Kind of makes sense that you'd want to get a lead on them early. They'll need to be successful with the run from the start.

[QUOTE=Kid Minneapolis;1715894]http://www.indystar.com/interactive/...ng-Oct-20-game
    QUOTE]

Man the Colts are so good at this stuff. Well played pre-emptive strike in case the place is filled with Bronco/Manning fans. I would imagine Pete Ward and Craig Kelly have been working on this for awhile.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Interesting stat - Denver has the #1 rush defense and the 32nd pass defense.

I'm sure it's because teams are trying to catch up. Kind of makes sense that you'd want to get a lead on them early. They'll need to be successful with the run from the start.
    Yeah when you think about it, it only makes sense. Denver is jumping all over teams so quickly that they really don't have any choice but to throw the ball to catch up.

Weird question to pose but: What would you do if we won the coin toss? Would you want the ball first so that your offense could set the tempo and (with any luck, no pun intended) grab an early lead? The risk there is that we all know Peyton is the master of the two minute drill before halftime, and if he successfully completed that and then they got the ball to start the second half it could put us in a hole. The other side is to defer and let Manning and the offense go out first, hope they are sluggish and you can get a stop, but run the real risk of going down 7-0 and then having to worry about the offense playing with a sense of urgency to score because they know Denver is going to pile on the points.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Of course there will be a bunch of Manning fans there. I'm a Colts fan, but I also love me some Manning. I'd say this is true of a huge portion of the fan base.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    2) McNabb != Manning

I meant in how this is going to go its not going to be like Grandpa Favre when he returned to Green Bay he was booed throughout

He'll be cheered at the beginning before the game begins and then during the game they'll boo/root against him like they do every other QB. I think people overestimate that fans are going to suddenly cheer for Denver because Manning is QB unless they were either Manning fans first or Denver fans (and there's a lot that actually do live here before Peyton came to their team) who came to Indy to watch their team.

As for the tribute I guess you can't really win either way if he does it its considered being soft with the competition and it should wait till after he retires (and I do agree with that) and if he doesn't do something he's being a dick.

At least this makes more sense than putting Marshall Faulk and Eric Dickerson in the Ring Of Honor... that is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah when you think about it, it only makes sense. Denver is jumping all over teams so quickly that they really don't have any choice but to throw the ball to catch up.

Weird question to pose but: What would you do if we won the coin toss? Would you want the ball first so that your offense could set the tempo and (with any luck, no pun intended) grab an early lead? The risk there is that we all know Peyton is the master of the two minute drill before halftime, and if he successfully completed that and then they got the ball to start the second half it could put us in a hole. The other side is to defer and let Manning and the offense go out first, hope they are sluggish and you can get a stop, but run the real risk of going down 7-0 and then having to worry about the offense playing with a sense of urgency to score because they know Denver is going to pile on the points.

Ugh, that's a tough call.

You really don't want to give Peyton Manning the ball at the beginning of the game and allow him to immediately grab the momentum in such a big game.

OTOH, he is the master of the two minute drill at the end of the half, so if he gets the ball first after the half, then you are potentially allowing him the opportunity to hang 14 consecutive points on you.

That's a tough call. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say give them the ball first and pray that you get a stop. It would be nice to play the first half under the peace of mind that we're getting the ball back at the start of the second half. That way we don't have to worry about him hanging 10 or 14 straight points on us.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

At least this makes more sense than putting Marshall Faulk and Eric Dickerson in the Ring Of Honor... that is absurd.

I'm OK with Dickerson. He was the first "big star" in our Indy era and brought us attention that we desperately needed.

Faulk though? No way. Stud running back here, but there's just not enough on the resume' to justify it, IMHO. We're really starting to lower the standards with him. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but I think it should be reserved for the elite of the elite. Aren't we going to be adding like eight or so names from the Manning era?

Harrison is already there (no brainer)
    Edge is already there (no brainer)
    Dungy is already there (no brainer)
    Peyton will obviously get in
    Saturday will get in
    Wayne will get in
    Freeney and Mathis will get in
    Tarik Glenn should get in

Who else? All of these guys played here longer than Faulk's five.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-10-2013 at 01:07 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    That's a tough call. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say give them the ball first and pray that you get a stop. It would be nice to play the first half under the peace of mind that we're getting the ball back at the start of the second half. That way we don't have to worry about him hanging 10 or 14 straight points on us.
    Yeah, that's kind of where I am leaning too.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah, that's kind of where I am leaning too.

Another thing to consider is that our offense starts out slow sometimes. The last two weeks are a perfect example. It would suck to come up empty handed after receiving first. I think we'd have a better chance of doing something coming out of halftime than we would at the very start. Yeah, the more I think about it, kick off to him and hope that you can get a stop or at least hold them to 3. The peace of mind of getting the ball back to start the half would be very very nice.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Too opposites --- Manning tends to jump out to leads... Luck tends to come from behind. I wouldn't be jumping off a cliff if Denver jumped out to a 7- or 14-point lead. I'd almost expect it. And then I'd expect Luck and Co. to hang in and make it a game in the 4th.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why fake it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free
    Maybe it was poorly worded.

What I mean is someone on here suggested that Peyton's tears was PR.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, I understand the implication. I'm just thinking it through. What does any grown man have to stand by tearing up in a press conference in this circumstance? What's the thinking behind that? I mean, if you're not genuinely crying, then you are crying for some ulterior purpose, so what would the purpose be? Sell something? I just don't buy it. He was a God in Indiana, he didn't need to cry to sell anything. It felt very genuine to me when he did it. All the reasons in the world for tearing up for a purpose other than just plain sadness don't really add up for me.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I am fine with booing him during the game. I just hope our fanbase has some decorum during the honoring ceremony for Peyton. Other than that boo him and make it as uncomfortable as possible for him.

My only concern in an early Peyton score is the 50/50 dummies in the crowd deciding to cheer for Denver.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

I'm concerned that the "fans" will be quiet for Peyton and the Broncos.

Worried it could be a "mutual" setting for both teams.

I love Peyton as much as the next Colts fan, but he's the enemy in this game. He's trying to kick our asses, and we as fans need to be ready to help our team out and be loud. You can cheer for him before and after the game, but not during.

If he's torching us and you're not that upset or mad we're getting beat, I hate to go there, but I would seriously have to question your allegiance to the Colts.

I could easy see the casual/soft Indy fans laughing a bit and then clapping after Peyton throws a TD against us, maybe even rooting for it. This isn't a preseason game, every game matters, the fan base can't just take a game off and essentially not care who wins, because hey, "If Colts lose, then it's OK, because Peyton won!" Ummmm, NO. Every game matters. 4-1 right now and looking good, but hell I already look at that loss to Miami and get sick to my stomach. I want every win we can realistically get and I'm going to be mad if we don't get W's when we should have and could have.

The only time you can justify being happy for a Peyton win, IMO, is as long as it doesn't come at the expense of the Indianapolis Colts. If you don't care that it came at our expense, then I seriously have to question your allegiance to the Colts.

The softness of our casual fan base just scares me.

If I'm able to go to the game I probably won't boo Peyton, but I'm going to yell and make noise for sure.
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 10-10-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, I don't think LOS will be quiet for Peyton. We love him, but he still has to lose.

Of course there will be a bunch of Manning fans there. I'm a Colts fan, but I also love me some Manning. I'd say this is true of a huge portion of the fan base.
    Like most Colts fans, 18 is the reason I love the colts as much as I do. I will be attending the game and am absolutely going to be rooting for the colts to win..but I also will be rooting for 18. I'm not sure whether this game will be as emotional for Manning or not (which has been discussed within this thread) but it will certainly be an emotional night for Colts fans.

Unlike a Brett Favre and in spite of his commercials and his celebrity, there was very little "diva" in Peyton during his time here. Nobody wanted to see him go, and there is still quite a bit of love and admiration for the guy and what he accomplished here by all colts fans.

Yes the majority of us have moved on and love what we have in Luck, but for anyone that was a fan of the team before 98 (yes all 76 of us); our love for Peyton is different because of the way he changed this franchise.

Peyton ALWAYS made us believe we would win. No matter the odds, no matter the score, he always gave us hope. No matter how many times we lost in the playoffs he always made us believe "we got it this year".

I look forward to seeing him at the Luke for most likely the last time ever. I will be at the game in Colts blue...wearing my signed Manning jersey lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'm OK with Dickerson. He was the first "big star" in our Indy era and brought us attention that we desperately needed.

Faulk though? No way. Stud running back here, but there's just not enough on the resume' to justify it, IMHO. We're really starting to lower the standards with him. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but I think it should be reserved for the elite of the elite. Aren't we going to be adding like eight or so names from the Manning era?

Harrison is already there (no brainer)
    Edge is already there (no brainer)
    Dungy is already there (no brainer)
    Peyton will obviously get in
    Saturday will get in
    Wayne will get in
    Freeney and Mathis will get in
    Tarik Glenn should get in

Who else? All of these guys played here longer than Faulk's five.
    I think of Faulk as a Ram first and a Colt second. He didn't play the defining years of his career in Indianapolis. He was a great guy and by all accounts a good citizen while he was here, but still, most NFL fans think of him as a Ram. Hell, he was even hurt during the AFCCG run, Zack Crockett and Lamont Warren had to fill in.

I would put Harbaugh up there if he isn't already, just because of the conference title game run. I realize I'm contradicting myself and a lot of people associate him with other teams, but he nearly took us to the promised land at a time when the Colts had no business being there. It almost would be like a crappy team signing a castoff QB like, say Phillip Rivers (accidentely wrote Ryan Leaf here first lol) before this year and him taking them deep into the playoffs. Harbaugh is the only guy from that era I would put in there though, except for Marchibroda who is already there.
    Last edited by idioteque; 10-10-2013 at 07:16 PM.

2) McNabb != Manning
    Such a hater.

We cheered McNabb at the appropriate time. Hell we just gave Andy Reid and McNabb standing ovations when they were back at the Linc.