1 2.56%
  • Signing Cory Redding

0 0%
  • Signing Greg Toler

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Grigson Move?

Default Best Grigson Move?

We all know that Irsay found a prodigy football genius to be GM. Ryan Grigson has made brilliant move after move after move. Tonight, Vontae Davis was the best player on the field. Grigson took in a player who was supremely troubled in Miami and turned him into a star. This is a Grigson trend, so I ask all of you, what is Grigson's best move he's made since becoming GM? There are so many options.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Best Grigson Move?

I am going to say either trading for Vontae Davis or picking up Jerrell Freeman, I am leading towards Davis, since he has been outstanding this year, and I am very close to calling him a shutdown corner

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We all know that Irsay found a prodigy football genius to be GM. Ryan Grigson has made brilliant move after move after move. Tonight, Vontae Davis was the best player on the field. Grigson took in a player who was supremely troubled in Miami and turned him into a star. This is a Grigson trend, so I ask all of you, what is Grigson's best move he's made since becoming GM? There are so many options.

I'd say it's Vontae Davis.

Luck certainly shouldn't be an answer. That was an organizational move with Irsay having the final say, just like the drafting of Manning in 1998. (I know you didn't put it as a choice, I'm just saying...)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's had some great moves but I have a hard time calling anyone who gave up a 1st for Trent Richardson a prodigy football genius. If I had to choose just one, it would be grabbing Vontae. You almost can't even throw in his direction anymore. Even Peyton barely tested him tonight and he tests everyone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'd say it's Vontae Davis.

Luck certainly shouldn't be an answer. That was an organizational move with Irsay having the final say, just like the drafting of Manning in 1998. (I know you didn't put it as a choice, I'm just saying...)
    Yeah honestly when we clinched the #1 spot I just started to consider Luck as being a Colt.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    He's had some great moves but I have a hard time calling anyone who gave up a 1st for Trent Richardson a prodigy football genius.
    Need a dislike button.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I can't pick. I think if it wasn't for injuries Allen and Ballard would be making people sing even more Grigson praise.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's between Davis and Freeman. I chose Freeman cause he was a rather unknown commodity playing in Canada. Trading for Davis was equally good though at a time there was a lot of doubt about him and especially inside the Dolphins organization.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TY Hilton? He moved up in the draft to draft one of the best slot receivers in the game today. Easily the best move
    Smothered Chicken!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't really say he has one "Oh yea" move, that just jumps out as being obviously better than the rest. He has a bunch of decent value moves. I'd rate almost all of those moves as pretty equal. He's done a good job. All of those guys are high-usage contributors. Toler has been about the only move that I haven't been all that happy about recently.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Hopefully his next move to deal with our wide receiver issue will be the brilliant, obvious one.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Vontae Davis has been an All-Pro corner to this point in the season. The biggest reason our defense has been better this year is because of our pass defense. Contrary to what the media and unfortunately our coaching staff seems to believe, our winning has very little to do with the running game. The "you win by running the football and stopping the run" mantra is nonsense. We've won by throwing and preventing the other team from doing the same.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

We've won in multiple ways all year, which is why this team is a contender. We beat San Fran by controlling possession on the ground, we beat Denver by forcing 3 and outs and good pass defense against Manning, we beat Seattle through the passing game. We adapt to our opponent and can one-up everyone at their own game.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't throw Richardson out with the bathwater just yet....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

All the moves are pretty solid. Cory Redding I think is an overlooked one, I for one saw him as a stopgap like some of those Polian stopgaps that were brought in (anyone remember Christian Peter?) but he's turned out to be a team leader and solid contributor.

Vontae is obviously huge and the Jerrell Freeman move is nice as well. Vontae I think gets a little extra love because the Colts corners were bad for so long while we at least did have some decent linebackers during the Polian era.

As for Richardson, I am unimpressed but I am willing to give him another shot behind an improved line next year and will be interested to see what he does for the rest of this year.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Redding must have been brought by Pagano.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jerrell Freeman was my choice, but man it's though to pick. Ballard, Allen and TY are all great picks. Bringing in Redding has been very good.

It's hard to criticize any of his moves to harshly, jury is still out on Richardson, but I've not given up hope till I see a few holes for him to run through.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

Well he had a hell of a draft last year, and I think TY, Allen, Fleener, Ballard are all great players...but I gotta go with taking the risk and trading for Vontae...guy is a hell of a football player. He plays great every single week and IMO he's a top ten CB. After that I'd go with finding Freeman in the CFL, he's the most important player in our D. We seen what we looked like without him in the chargers game. Then signing Redding has been HUGE. And I think Richardson will be a good pickup in the future...he's running behind a not so good line and he's only been here a couple weeks and hasn't had much of a chance as far as carries.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I wouldn't throw Richardson out with the bathwater just yet....
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...arnwell-week-7

As much as the Colts like to talk about the importance of their running game and how meaningful it is for them to get Trent Richardson involved, the truth is that it's mostly lip service. Running the ball does create the occasional shot downfield, but teams aren't afraid of Indianapolis's running game and don't commit serious resources to stopping it. Donald Brown at least produces the occasional big play, but Richardson has been DOA since arriving in Indy. He finished with another typical day on Sunday, producing 37 yards on 14 carries. Richardson averaged 3.5 yards per carry and 62.1 rushing yards per game during his time in Cleveland; since coming to town, he has averaged 3.0 yards per carry and a mere 45.6 rushing yards per game. He also lost a key fumble in the fourth quarter that allowed Denver back into the game, giving the Broncos the ball on Indy's 23-yard line. Forget not being worth the first-round pick that the Colts dealt for him earlier this year; Richardson is actively detracting from the Colts right now.
    Just to stir the pot.

When you see all of these moves listed together, you realize just how damn good of a GM Grigs has been in a very short amount of time. I love the Grigs-Pags tandem.

People rip Irsay, but the guy has ROUTINELY brought in top notch people to run his organization (Polian, Dungy, Grigson, Pagano). He fumbled the Caldwell transition, but it seems to have taught him a valuable lesson. The best coaching candidates are usually guys from the outside (Dungy, Pagano). He did the Pagano hire the right way.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-23-2013 at 09:30 AM.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Andrew Luck draft pick?
    Smothered Chicken!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...rth-1strounder

A great running back, in general, is wasted on a mediocre offensive line.The takeaway:

1) Richardson, who hasn't magically improved with the Colts, remains far from great. He's rushed for 228 yards on 75 carries for a 3.0 yards per carry.

2) Indy's O-line is mediocre (they rank 14th in run-blocking, according to PFF).

ProFootballFocus.com's Sam Monson has an explanation for Richardson's poor showing in Sunday night's win over the Broncos.

"[Other than a lost fumble] Richardson was dealt the blocking equivalent of the Dead Man's Hand, meeting players in the backfield on seemingly every carry, and barely getting an opportunity all day to run the ball without having to make a cut in the backfield as the play had been blown to hell. Richardson forced five missed tackles, and gained 25 of his 37 yards after contact. That means that on 14 carries his blocking generated him just 12 yards before he was hit."

Then Monson added, "The same [was] true for [Donald] Brown, who gained 12 of his 23 yards after contact."

Which only reinforces what we wrote earlier: Great running backs typically don't overcome average offensive lines.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Andrew Luck draft pick?

Organizational move with Irsay having the final say. Everyone agreed on Luck, so it was a moot point, but Grigs would not have been allowed to draft RGIII if Irsay wanted Luck. Owners want the final say on franchise altering moves (drafting Manning, releasing Manning, drafting Luck).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...bonus-edition/

Good article on Trent. Don't write him off yet.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

I am stealing this from Coltfreaks bye week thread but this is a good summary of all of Grigsons moves in stat form.

Defense:

2012 Points Allowed per game average = 24.2 (487 for total season)
    2013 Points Allowed per game average = 18.7 (projects to 299 for 16 games)

2012 Total Yards Allowed per game average = 374.2 (5,987 for total season)
    2013 Total Yards Allowed per game average = 350.7 (projects to 5,611 for 16 games)

2012 Passing Yards Allowed per game average = 236.8 (3,788 for total season)
    2013 Passing Yards Allowed per game average = 228.4 (projects to 3,655 for 16 games)

2012 Passing Attempts Allowed per game average = 33.4 (535 for total season)
    2013 Passing Attempts Allowed per game average = 33.6 (projects to 537 for 16 games)

2012 Passing Yards per Attempt allowed = 7.08
    2013 Passing Yards per Attempt allowed = 6.80

2012 QB Completion Percentage Allowed = 62.4% (334 / 535 for total season)
    2013 QB Completion Percentage Allowed = 58.7% (projects to 315 / 537 for 16 games)

2012 QB Interception Rate Inflicted = 0.75 (intercepted 12 passes for total season)
    2013 QB Interception Rate Inflicted = 1.14 (projected to intercept 18 passes for total season)

2012 QB TD Rate Allowed = 1.438 (allowed 23 TD passes for total season)
    2013 QB TD Rate Allowed = 1.571 (projected to allow 25 TD passes for 16 games)

2012 Sack Rate = 2.00 (inflicted 32 sacks for total season)
    2013 Sack Rate = 3.00 (projected to inflict 48 sacks for 16 games)

2012 QB Rating Allowed = 90.1
    2013 QB Rating Allowed = 78.3

2012 Rushing Yards Allowed per game average = 137.5 (2,200 for total season)
    2013 Rushing Yards Allowed per game average = 122.3 (projects to 1,956 yards for 16 games)

2012 Rushing Attempts Allowed per game average = 26.8 (428 for total season)
    2013 Rushing Attempts Allowed per game average = 27.4 (projects to 439 for 16 games)

2012 Rushing Yards Allowed per attempt = 5.1
    2013 Rushing Yards Allowed per attempt = 4.5

2012 Rushing TD Allowed Rate = 0.875 (14 allowed for total season)
    2013 Rushing TD Allowed Rate = 0.714 (projected to allow 11 for 16 games)

2012 Allowed 3rd down success rate = 38.1% (75 / 197 for total season)
    2013 Allowed 3rd down success rate = 34.8% (projects to 73 / 210 for 16 games)

Random Defensive Comments:

- I started with Defense because almost every single stat shows an improvement in 2013 over the 2012 performance. The Colts defense is allowing less points, less yards, a lower QB completion percentage, making more interceptions, getting more sacks, decreasing opponents yards per rush and allowing a lower successful completion rate on 3rd downs. I have no real comments on the Defense other than to say that they are statistically improved across the board. Well done, Mr. Manusky!

- I was even trying to come up with a non-stat “style” complaint that I have about the defense and I find that I really do not have one. I have wanted aggressive press coverage from our secondary and we have seen it this year. I want creative, unpredictable blitz packages and we have seen them this year. I want to be able to control the LOS and we have seen it this year. We don’t see any of it all the time but we see all these things here and there. I guess I would like to get gouged by the run in spurts a bit less often but overall, I have almost zero complaints about the defense this year.

Offense:

2012 Points scored per game average = 22.3 (357 points for total season)
    2013 Points scored per game average = 26.7 (projected to 427 for 16 game season)

2012 Total Yards gained per game average = 362.4 (5,798 yards for total season)
    2013 Total Yards gained per game average = 344.7 (projected to 5,515 yards for 16 game season)

2012 Passing Yards per game average = 258.0 (4,128 yards for total season)
    2013 Passing Yards per game average = 215.4 (projected to 3,446 yards for 16 games)

2012 Passing Attempts per game average = 39.3 (628 attempts for total season)
    2013 Passing Attempt per game average = 32.4 (projected to 518 attempts for 16 games)

2012 Passing Yards per Attempt = 6.57
    2013 Passing Yards per Attempt = 6.64

2012 QB Completion Percentage = 54.0% (339 / 628 for total season)
    2013 QB Completion Percentage = 60.8% (projected to 315 / 518 for 16 games)

2012 QB Interception Rate = 1.125 per game (18 for total season)
    2013 QB Interception Rate = 0.429 per game (projected to 7 for 16 games)

2012 TD Thrown Rate = 1.438 per game (23 for total season)
    2013 TD Thrown Rate = 1.429 per game (projected to 23 for 16 games)

2012 Sack Rate = 2.56 (41 for total season)
    2013 Sack Rate = 2.14 (projects to 34 for 16 games)

2012 QB Rating = 76.4
    2013 QB Rating = 91.5

2012 Rushing Yards per game average = 104.4 (1,671 yards for total season)
    2013 Rushing Yards per game average = 129.3 (projected to 2,069 yards for 16 games)

2012 Rushing Attempts per game average = 27.5 (440 attempts for total season)
    2013 Rushing Attempt s per game average = 28.4 (projected to 454 attempts for 16 games)

2012 Rushing Yards per Attempt = 3.8
    2013 Rushing Yards per Attempt = 4.5

2012 Rushing TD rate = 0.688 (11 for total season)
    2013 Rushing TD rate = 1.143 (projects to 18 for 16 games)

2012 3rd down success rate = 42.8% ( 98 / 229 for total season)
    2013 3rd down success rate = 42.8% (projected to 87 / 203)

Random Offensive Comments:

- Again, the 2013 Colts have improved in points scored, QB completion percentage, rushing yards per game, rushing yards per attempt, rushing touchdowns scored, throwing less interceptions, and taking less sacks. What is not improved is the total yardage gained, passing yardage gained and 3rd down success rate.

- These stats make me rethink greatly my “hate” for Pep Hamilton and his offensive scheme. By almost every metric, the offense is improved. Sure, we are not gaining as many yards (by a whole 40 yards per game) but our offensive play is so much more EFFICIENT in making yards per play, cutting down the mistakes in interceptions and sacks and having us be a more balanced offense. Overall, the stats show that Pep’s offense is being pretty darn efficient.

- However, the one stat that jumps out at me is the 3rd down success rate. If our offense was so much more efficient, you would expect that our success rate on converting 3rd downs would have improved but it is not. I am glad that it has not gotten worse but we are not doing well on 3rd downs and that kills drives and thus does not allow us to play “ball control” offense (as the below stated Time of Possession comparison shows as well).

- So, after thinking about this, I have decided that my “hate” for Pep Hamilton can be boiled down to two things. The first is his continued calling for the jumbo package on 1st down and 10 yards to go. I hate this because it typically telegraphs that we are running the ball for our 2 or 3 yards and basically wastes the down. In the NFL, you cannot telegraph and have success. Sure, we have now passed out of the formation a couple of times but I still think that it is pretty much a wasted down and would like it done away with.

- The second thing I hate about Pep’s play calling is his 3rd down play selection. Regardless of the yardage, it feels like Pep often calls the exact opposite of what I think we should be doing. 3rd and 1 and we go 4-wide and pass? Go 4-wide and run it, dude. 3rd and 4 and we set up in the power formation? I don’t know what Pep sees but we have to get better on 3rd down conversions for me to be happy with the offense.

Total Team:

2012 Turn Over Differential = - 12
    2013 Turn Over Differential = Currently + 7

2012 Penalty Rate = 5.875 (94 for total season) for 50.0 yards average (801 yards for total season)
    2013 Penalty Rate = 4.000 (projects to 64 for 16 games) for 32.4 yards average (projects to 518 yards for 16 games)

2012 Time of Possession average = 30:46
    2013 Time of Possession average = 30:23

Random Total Team Comments:

- What does Pagano say? Cut down on the mistakes and you have a better chance to win games? We are creating turnovers better, giving up turnovers at a lesser rate and getting called for less penalties than last year. This team (minus the SD game) has some real swagger and appears to be truly bonding against some tough opponents. This is Pagano football and I think that if it continues, will go a long way in quieting those who question whether Pagano can be a real NFL head coach.

- While the loss of Wayne will require the Colts offense to adapt, I don’t believe that they are going to change what they plan on doing. I don’t think you will see a trade for a young stud WR which is the only real solution for a new WR1 or WR2 since there is no one capable of doing that left unsigned. We will promote from within with Hilton/DHB as the WR1 and WR2, Brazill as the WR3 and Whalen/Reed as WR4. We will probably see more 2TE sets with Fleener paired with Jones/Doyle but I don’t think we will see Pep go all “running, running every play” without Reggie.

- That said, I think we need to find another WR next year that can become a WR1 or WR2 and allow Wayne (if he returns) to become the WR3 and be killing it when opposing defenses choose to put a safety or LB on him. Hilton has the ability to be on the field every play but we need another one capable of doing that. Perhaps Brazill is that guy but he is unproven. I am pretty sure DHB is not that guy and is now a one year rental. I am pretty sure a 2nd round rookie will not be that guy either so I think it is now critical that the Colts go shopping in 2014 for a top notch free agent WR going forward.

- Otherwise, the only thing that the team needs to do is fix the O-Line interior (Donald Thomas is part of that solution in 2014; Hugh Thornton might be part of the solution as well) and get back Allen and Ballard along with T-Rich, Fleener and Hilton and we will be cooking on oil on offense. Add a few playmakers (DE, ILB, OLB which perhaps Werner is that guy) on defense and this team is ready to challenge for the championship.

I could say more but that is enough or now. Keep the faith, Colts fans.

Cheers,