Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Colts-Broncos

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Colts-Broncos

Yea, I'm starting this early.... no, I'm not looking past SD............ Alright, I totally am. But I'm a fan, I'm allowed to do silly crap like that. And frankly, Peyton is worth jumping the gun on the pre-game thread a week early.

Let's face it --- the biggest symbolic game of the year, arguably league-wide, is Peyton Manning returning to Indianapolis to play against the Colts in front of a fan-base he largely built. Manning vs. Luck. This ***** is happening. In less than two weeks. Do I even need to explain how huge this game will be?

I'm am sooooooo looking forward to this game.

I think this game means a lot more for Manning than it does Luck. I can't wait to hear the introduction for Manning and the crowd give him a 5 minute standing O. And I hope (actually... I'm pretty confident that I know) that Luck won't take it badly. I'm guessing Manning is gonna "kick our ***" like he said he'd do to us in '98 if we had passed on him (thank God we didn't).

I'll be rooting for the Colts and Luck, and I want a win... but I won't be pissed if Manning comes in and gets one. He's the only person in the league I'd say that about. This could be the last time we see Manning in LOS, an opportunity that we never really had a chance to do properly.

We'll never forget you, Peyton.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 10-08-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colts-Broncos

Should be a great game. I would love to win this one and I would ESPECIALLY love to knock Peyton out of the playoffs, but if we don't I'll root for him when/if the Colts are eliminated.

I am somewhat more critical of Peyton than the average Colts fan but he is still one of the GOATs, and regardless of how good Luck does I'll always hold him in especially high regard because the team might not even be in Indianapolis today without him. Without Peyton we may not be able to enjoy what I think will be the great success Luck brings to the franchise (I have long predicted 2 SB's when it is all said and done).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

It's going to be one of the most watched regular season games in NFL history. This game will obviously be a major local story, but it's also going to be huge nationally. People all over the country are going to be eager to watch this.

I'll be curious to see if Peyton allows the emotion to get to him at all in the days leading up to the game, or if he will just give the standard "it's just another game, I'm just focusing on preparing for that defense", etc etc. Wonder if he'll do any interviews for The Star or TV stations?

Also, do you think that we'll do a tribute to him before the game or in between quarters? I hope they show it on NBC.

This will be intense. He is a legend and will always be a Colt. He is the main reason we became an elite NFL franchise, and that Super Bowl banner hangs forever.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

If Peyton can handle playing against his younger brother the Colts are nothing to him in comparison.

That being said I could see this being a very close game either way the Denver defense doesn't scare me I'm not sure how our defense will fare with Denver's offense.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dunno, I think this is much bigger for Peyton than playing against his brother, at least emotionally. I mean... we've only seen Manning near-cry once in his lifetime --- saying goodbye to Indianapolis. He will say all the right things leading up to the game, but you know he's had this day marked on his internal calendar since the day the schedule came out this year. It *has* to be on his mind, and will only grow in the days leading up. His return to Indy will be a huge event, for him and the city.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dunno, I think this is much bigger for Peyton than playing against his brother, at least emotionally. I mean... we've only seen Manning near-cry once in his lifetime --- saying goodbye to Indianapolis. He will say all the right things leading up to the game, but you know he's had this day marked on his internal calendar since the day the schedule came out this year. It *has* to be on his mind, and will only grow in the days leading up. His return to Indy will be a huge event, for him and the city.

I don't the Colts were a chapter in his life that he left behind (with occassional visits to the Children's hospital really the only link he has to Indy anymore), he was sad to leave Tennessee too but he did it anyways no real difference except the Colts exit was more dramatic.

Eli his his blood and when both their careers are over it will be just them.

Family > Former Employer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Peyton will want to crush the Colts because he plays no other way. He's the type of guy that will reflect on fond memories after he retires. I'm hoping Luck and the crew turn the table and run the Peyton Broncos out of town.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Of course Eli means more to him as family, but I don't think he was as *emotional* playing Eli as he will be playing in LOS. It's a completely different circumstance.

Peyton in a night game returning to the stadium he built vs. Luck who never shrinks from a chance to be great.

Should be an amazing atmosphere and game.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Of course Eli means more to him as family, but I don't think he was as *emotional* playing Eli as he will be playing in LOS. It's a completely different circumstance.
    I just don't see him emotional about this game. He's pretty robotic when it comes to this sort of thing its only when he plays the Giants does he feel kind of bad for winning afterwards...

He won't feel bad if they Broncos win.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    If Peyton can handle playing against his younger brother the Colts are nothing to him in comparison.

That being said I could see this being a very close game either way the Denver defense doesn't scare me I'm not sure how our defense will fare with Denver's offense.

When his brother was drafted into the NFL, he knew that he would inevitably play him a couple times. But this is way different. Until just a short time ago, he never thought that he would play anywhere other than the Colts, let alone come in as an opponent a short time after being released.

There is no way playing Eli is more emotional than this.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    When his brother was drafted into the NFL, he knew that he would inevitably play him a couple times. But this is way different. Until just a short time ago, he never thought that he would play anywhere other than the Colts, let alone come in as an opponent a short time after being released.

And I'm sure he knew he'd play the Colts at some point after he was dumped by them over a year ago. My point is that I think people overestimate the emotional attachment between players and the teams they play for.

There are exceptions I guess Elway/Broncos and Marino/Dolphins but they stayed their entire careers there.

Peyton is just one of many players who ended up playing for more than one team during their career. The Colts are just another team to him that he has to beat on the schedule sure they'll go through memory lane and play up that he was kicked to the curb for someone younger and wants revenge (the narrative is the best part) but he's a professional athlete and this game is a part of his job.

I don't think he thinks of the Colts anymore than the Colts do of him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Eh, I disagree. Manning and Indy are inexorably tied together, this city loves him, and from all accounts, he loved it here. On the surface, in the interviews, he's going to say one thing, but on the inside, he's human just like all of us. I'm sure the fans will be emotional that night too.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

And I'm sure he knew he'd play the Colts at some point after he was dumped by them over a year ago. My point is that I think people overestimate the emotional attachment between players and the teams they play for.

There are exceptions I guess Elway/Broncos and Marino/Dolphins but they stayed their entire careers there.

Peyton is just one of many players who ended up playing for more than one team during their career. The Colts are just another team to him that he has to beat on the schedule sure they'll go through memory lane and play up that he was kicked to the curb for someone younger and wants revenge (the narrative is the best part) but he's a professional athlete and this game is a part of his job.

I don't think he thinks of the Colts anymore than the Colts do of him.
    Baloney.

He's used to running out of the tunnel at Lucas Oil with 67,000 fans standing and going crazy for him (and his teammates). That Sunday night, he'll be running out of the tunnel for the first time as the opposition and the 67,000 (or at least the vast majority in my opinion) will be clapping for Peyton as a sign of love and respect and thanking him for everything he did for the Colts.

And then after the opening kick, Peyton is going to want to drop the hammer on the Colts like the Broncos have on each of their opponents thus far. And likewise, Colts fans will be hoping for a sack, a pick, or an incompletion on every Peyton dropback.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    Baloney.

He's used to running out of the tunnel at Lucas Oil with 67,000 fans standing and going crazy for him (and his teammates). That Sunday night, he'll be running out of the tunnel for the first time as the opposition and the 67,000 (or at least the vast majority in my opinion) will be clapping for Peyton as a sign of love and respect and thanking him for everything he did for the Colts.

And then after the opening kick, Peyton is going to want to drop the hammer on the Colts like the Broncos have on each of their opponents thus far. And likewise, Colts fans will be hoping for a sack, a pick, or an incompletion on every Peyton dropback.

The last sentence I agree with the rest? Eh

He of all people knows its a business I mean his dad went through the same thing himself with the Saints. He moved on as soon as we secured Andrew Luck and not a moment sooner. Fans moved on sooner than that wearing Luck jerseys before it was even possible we were going to get him and that dumping Manning was the way to go etc to say otherwise is just false. If there's someone better on the horizon fans move on I mean look how quickly the Packers forgot about Favre with Rodgers, Montana with Young etc. And here most people have already moved on from Peyton and if you said this 3 years ago this would've been laughed at.

Colts fans who think he's going to be all warm and fuzzy with the fans before kickoff are overestimating themselves here he'll acknowledge it and keep it moving ala Andy Reid. Its going to be no different than McNabb/Eagles, Montana/Niners etc sure the media will make it into some emotional moment but the players are immune to that sort of thing.

Regardless of the outcome I will be glad when this game is over.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 10-08-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks for breaking my thread streak kid
    "We want Miami"

He of all people knows its a business I mean his dad went through the same thing himself with the Saints. He moved on as soon as we secured Andrew Luck and not a moment sooner. Fans moved on sooner than that wearing Luck jerseys before it was even possible we were going to get him and that dumping Manning was the way to go etc to say otherwise is just false. If there's someone better on the horizon fans move on I mean look how quickly the Packers forgot about Favre with Rodgers, Montana with Young etc. And here most people have already moved on from Peyton and if you said this 3 years ago this would've been laughed at.

Colts fans who think he's going to be all warm and fuzzy with the fans before kickoff are overestimating themselves here he'll acknowledge it and keep it moving ala Andy Reid. Its going to be no different than McNabb/Eagles, Montana/Niners etc sure the media will make it into some emotional moment but the players are immune to that sort of thing.

No one is saying that he's going to break down in tears and weep openly on the field as soon as he takes the first snap. But there's no way that he's not going to be feeling quite a bit of emotion as he takes the field. Of course he is still going to play the game the exact same way as he would if we were any other team, but that doesn't mean that he won't feel weird when he goes into that visitors locker room.

Sure his own dad went through it, but Archie's pro career doesn't hold a candle to Peyton. Archie didn't win a Super Bowl and transform a franchise from dumpster to elite like Peyton did. Archie didn't put up the freakish stats that Peyton did. Prior to a couple of years ago, there's no way that Peyton or anyone else could have ever dreamed that he would have finished his career anywhere else. It was an unpredictable series of events for him, fans, Irsay, and everyone else. There's no way that playing here is going to be the same for him as traveling out to Oakland. A legend like Peyton Manning usually doesn't get released from a team when they still have years of ball left (not saying Colts made wrong move, just saying that it's not an everyday thing).
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-08-2013 at 04:16 PM.

No one is saying it's going to be a cryfest or that Peyton will address the crowd for 10 minutes prior to the game. He's not going to be inducted into the Ring of Honor, they're not going to retire his jersey that night.

But it will absolutely be emotional for him and the fans when Peyton is announced or when he runs out of the tunnel. He's used to being booed ferociously on the road. This is Colts fans' first opportunity to publicly thank Peyton for all he did for the Colts and the city.

And again, after that moment, it's back to Broncos vs. Colts for the players and the fans.
    Last edited by bunt; 10-08-2013 at 04:24 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    No one is saying that he's going to break down in tears and weep openly on the field as soon as he takes the first snap. But there's no way that he's not going to be feeling quite a bit of emotion as he takes the field. Of course he is still going to play the game the exact same way as he would if we were any other team, but that doesn't mean that he won't feel weird when he goes into that visitors locker room.

Sure his own dad went through it, but Archie's pro career doesn't hold a candle to Peyton. Archie didn't win a Super Bowl and transform a franchise from dumpster to elite like Peyton did. Archie didn't put up the freakish stats that Peyton did. Prior to a couple of years ago, there's no way that Peyton or anyone else could have ever dreamed that he would have finished his career anywhere else. It was an unpredictable series of events for him, fans, Irsay, and everyone else. There's no way that playing here is going to be the same for him as traveling out to Oakland. A legend like Peyton Manning usually doesn't get released from a team when they still have years of ball left (not saying Colts made wrong move, just saying that it's not an everyday thing).

Joe Montana did and won more SB's too if he can get kicked to the curb Manning wasn't any different except that it involved the Colts.

Joe Montana did and won more SB's too if he can get kicked to the curb Manning wasn't any different except that it involved the Colts.
    Yes, Montanta did when he had just two years left of lower quality (by his standards) football left in him. Favre left the Packers only after he screwed around with them by retiring and then coming back. They didn't release him before that. Did it happen to Brady? Elway? Marino? Staubach? I guess Unitas played one year in SD, but that's hardly the same as Peyton's situation. You'll be hard pressed to find a quarterback who was cut by a team that he was iconic with and THEN went on to play some of the best football of his entire career.

No one would have ever predicted that it would ever get to a point where the Colts would release Peyton when he still had plenty of gas left in the tank. If I would have said three years ago that Peyton Manning would finish his career somewhere else, I would have been laughed off the forum. No one ever saw this coming. If there was one thing in the world that was certain, it's that Manning would finish his career as a Colt.

Besides, the fact that similar situations have happened before has nothing to do with this. This game on October 20 is about Peyton Manning coming back to Indianapolis, not Montanta going back to San Francisco. Manning will always be remembered as a Colt, practically built the stadium, played some of the best QB ball ever here, won a Super Bowl, elevated the franchise from dumpster to elite, and did about everything else that an athlete can do for a franchise/city. You really think that he's just going to internally be able to shrug that off and treat it like it's a game in Kansas City? I'm not saying that John Fox is going to have to bring Kleenexes to him in between snaps, nor am I saying that it's going to affect his throw to Wesley Welker in the end zone. All I'm saying is that he's human and there's no way that he won't be feeling emotion about the place where he spent 14 memorable years.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-08-2013 at 04:44 PM.

People are saying now he has gas left in the tank but where was this talk when he was out for the season a couple years ago many thought he wouldn't play again if we knew he was going to play again and be like this then why did the Colts cut him?

Irsay must have crappy doctors or he wanted to go with younger cheaper version of Manning in Andrew Luck. I'm leaning towards the latter as time passes after all he has to think of the Colts beyond the Manning era

Regardless Montana lead the Chiefs to the AFC Championship it was unfortunate he got injured in that game and pretty much ended his career at that point for good so he had something left now obviously it wasn't his best years but they weren't crappy either.

My point is if Joe Montana an icon of 49ers Lore can be kicked to the curb after all he's done then Manning was no different when it came down to it or anyone else.

There's no real loyalty in professional sports or anywhere else if something better comes along.

People are saying now he has gas left in the tank but where was this talk when he was out for the season a couple years ago many thought he wouldn't play again if we knew he was going to play again and be like this then why did the Colts cut him?

Irsay must have crappy doctors or he wanted to go with younger cheaper version of Manning in Andrew Luck. I'm leaning towards the latter as time passes after all he has to think of the Colts beyond the Manning era

Regardless Montana lead the Chiefs to the AFC Championship it was unfortunate he got injured in that game and pretty much ended his career at that point for good so he had something left now obviously it wasn't his best years but they weren't crappy either.

My point is if Joe Montana an icon of 49ers Lore can be kicked to the curb after all he's done then Manning was no different when it came down to it or anyone else.

There's no real loyalty in professional sports or anywhere else if something better comes along.
    I think we had all these discussions and arguments about a year ago.

Bottom line, when Peyton returns to Indy there will be tons of emotions from the fans and him. Look no further than his exit press conference with the Colts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

And if Montana went to San Fran, it would have been a big deal.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

this will be super emotional for Peyton and the whole city of Indy. To be completely honest I am going to be rooting for the Colts but would not be disappointed if the Broncos win. I grew up watching Peyton, from the age of 8-19 I became a diehard Colts fan because of him. I can and will never root against him. The guy will and will always be the man that got me hooked on football.