Thread: Granger and Mahinmi for Turkoglu and Big Baby

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Granger and Mahinmi for Turkoglu and Big Baby

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mugbvaw

This is the most even trade I could come up with. Danny (if healthy) is much better than Hedo (if healthy) but Big Baby is much better than Ian even at less than 100%. The Pacers would basically do this deal to get an upgrade at backup Center which is a bigger need than what Danny provides at SF.

Danny and Hedo are both on the last year of their deals so the salary is pretty much a wash. The Pacers only take on an additional $378k in salary for this season and will still be a couple of million dollars under the luxury threshold.

I'm not advocating trading Danny but in some ways I think the Pacers need to address the back up Center position because Ian just isn't very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger and Mahinmi for Turkoglu and Big Baby

Screw that. No thanks.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

In absolutely no way would Glen Davis be an upgrade over Ian Mahinmi for this team.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Glen Davis is a very good player. However, he is not a better rim protector than Ian Mahinmi. Therefore, we have no need for him. We already have David West and Luis Scola to provide the scoring from the PF spot.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    In absolutely no way would Glen Davis be an upgrade over Ian Mahinmi for this team.
    lol you are funny...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

I think that Davis would average more than 8 minutes per game in the playoffs.

Mahinmi has been a big disappointment. We gave him a four year contract AND gave up a decent backup PG for him.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I think that Davis would average more than 8 minutes per game in the playoffs.

Mahinmi has been a big disappointment. We gave him a four year contract AND gave up a decent backup PG for him.
    A backup PG that the vast majority of this forum (I don't remember if you were a part of this) wanted to run out of town as soon as possible claiming that he was awful and the cause of all our problems.

In any case, BRushWithDeath has a point.

Glen Davis is a better player than Ian Mahinmi. That's granted. But what does this team needs its back-up Center to provide? Rim protection. Can Glen do that? No, he cannot. Can Ian do that instead? Yes, he can.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    A backup PG that the vast majority of this forum (I don't remember if you were a part of this) wanted to run out of town as soon as possible claiming that he was awful and the cause of all our problems.

In any case, BRushWithDeath has a point.

Glen Davis is a better player than Ian Mahinmi. That's granted. But what does this team needs its back-up Center to provide? Rim protection. Can Glen do that? No, he cannot. Can Ian do that instead? Yes, he can.

I never wanted to run DC out of town. I felt that he was a flawed starter for an elite team like the Pacers, but he was a very decent backup PG. He offered consistent instant offense off of the bench, something we completely lacked in last year's playoffs.

I never liked trading DC for Mahinmi and then giving Mahinmi a sizable contract. I've seen nothing to change my mind. How much rim protection was Mahinmi giving us in his 8 MPG last postseason?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I never liked trading DC for Mahinmi and then giving Mahinmi a sizable contract. I've seen nothing to change my mind. How much rim protection was Mahinmi giving us in his 8 MPG last postseason?
    0.7 blocks in those 8 minutes, which is pretty damn good. Guess you don't remember LeBron going straight at Ian and Ian doing Hibberts infamous straight up move during Game 1 that resulted in a wild shot attempt. The guy averaged 9mins on the road, and .9 blocks to go with it. I guess he should be closer to 1.5 every 10mins in order to get some love though.

To put it in persepective, Roy averaged 36.6 mpg and 1.9 bpg, so that breaks down to 0.0246 bpm. Ian with his 8.3mpg and his .7 bpg, breaks down to 0.0843 bpm.
    Last edited by Since86; 10-14-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I never wanted to run DC out of town. I felt that he was a flawed starter for an elite team like the Pacers, but he was a very decent backup PG. He offered consistent instant offense off of the bench, something we completely lacked in last year's playoffs.
    So, you were one of the exceptions in here. It doesn't change the fact that a very large percentage of PD at the time considered DC trash because they had believed the words of a certain someone (we all know who he is). Did we forget that this certain someone was dying to replace DC with DJ Augustin and that he was overjoyed when we signed DJ? Of course, he will deny this now but that's what he said at the time.

I never liked trading DC away but I understood it since he wanted a chance to start. I felt that Mahinmi was a good return for him and his contract is the standard amount that back-up Cs that are young and worth a damn get. If you take a look around the league the standard league value for Cs of Ian's age and skill ranges between 3 and 5 millions.

About his rim protection Since86 already gave the answer. The reason that Ian played so little was because Roy was awesome.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    So, you were one of the exceptions in here. It doesn't change the fact that a very large percentage of PD at the time considered DC trash because they had believed the words of a certain someone (we all know who he is). Did we forget that this certain someone was dying to replace DC with DJ Augustin and that he was overjoyed when we signed DJ? Of course, he will deny this now but that's what he said at the time.

I never liked trading DC away but I understood it since he wanted a chance to start. I felt that Mahinmi was a good return for him and his contract is the standard amount that back-up Cs that are young and worth a damn get. If you take a look around the league the standard league value for Cs of Ian's age and skill ranges between 3 and 5 millions.

About his rim protection Since86 already gave the answer. The reason that Ian played so little was because Roy was awesome.
    Never liked DC even when he was fresh. Knew he was just too small to be an effective starter. Anyway, I think most hated the DC for Ian trade cause Ian was a FA. Could have just signed him. Dallas wasn't going to match. Could have traded DC for something else, maybe a late round pick. DC is a good backup, but he's no starter.

I'd be ok with this trade if Lance really steps up his game, and the Pacers want out of Ian's contract. Or the Pacers lay a fat egg for the season (don't see that happening). I haven't seen Lance show much so far. I still think Ian is a decent backup big. Plus, the Pacers don't really have anyone to take his place.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

In the Restricted area, Ian let opponents shoot 363-626 for 58.0%.
    In the Paint (non-RA), Ian let opponents shoot 127-332 for 38.3%

In the Restricted Area, Glen Davis let opponents shoot 334-545 for 61.3%
    In the Paint (non-RA), Glen Davis let opponents shoot 121-293 for 41.3%

Both are well below the league leaders ( Roy Hibbert for in the RA, allowing only 51.5% and George Hill in the paint for players over 500 attempt at 33.7%) , but Ian has proven to be the better rim protector while Davis has proven to be the better scorer. With Luis Scola, Davis is redundant.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

2 things: I don't think someone's size renders them incapable of starting...plenty of players have been effective at 6'0''...even at 5'3''. Secondly, all I know about Mahinmi is that he had the worst +/- of all Pacers last season.
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ian mahinmi is a luxury, not many teams have a 6 11 backup true center like we do, if we got davis instead we would have to change our entire 2nd unit defense. The guy is actually 6 6

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mahinmi's improved defense has made me completely change my mind. That and Big Baby is still rehabbing his foot injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Mahinmi's improved defense has made me completely change my mind. That and Big Baby is still rehabbing his foot injury.
    yes, ian has been playing his best ball this year and i love it. in fact, i wouldn't want to trade anyone at this point. i love this TEAM that we got. no point in tinkering with what is working so well.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post: