Thread: I have felt this pain before

Default I have felt this pain before

When I was a kid, I was the world's biggest Dallas Cowboy fan. I've seen this before, I have felt this pain before. We could NEVER beat the Packers. In fact, Tom Landry was once quoted as saying "I'm getting tired of sucking hind tit to the Packers". They beat us twice for the NFL Championship, the next two years we lost to Cleveland in the playoffs, the next year we lost to the Colts in the Super Bowl before FINALLY winning against Miami. It was six looooooong years.

The simple fact is we are OWNED by the Patriots. I'm tired of losing to them. I'm tired of losing so we have to play in Foxboro. Sometimes, a team just has your number.

The way I feel right now is we are nothing more than bells and whistles with no substance. Manning has to answer for this and so does Dungy.

This on top of feeling any chance we had of winning the NBA championship was stolen by David Stern.

Feeling pretty low right now - yep, pretty low.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I have felt this pain before

Yeah me too I am feeling bad.Well last year after the Colt loss I had the Pacers to watch now but their possible championship season has been stolen.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You need to get your Xbox Live set up pacer2425, we have some pent up killing to do...

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You need to get your Xbox Live set up pacer2425, we have some pent up killing to do...
    I seriously doubt I will get it. I have to buy a router plus then we have to pay Insight like 6.95 a month.Our cable bill is already high. Halo 2 killing would ease the pain.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Manning has to answer for this? Give me a break; he was the best one out there playing for the Colts besides Dwight Freeney.

edit: If you're going to blame somebody, blame the Colts linebackers and defensive backs (minus Bob Sanders) and the Colts offensive linemen and receivers and the referees.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    Manning has to answer for this? Give me a break; he was the best one out there playing for the Colts besides Dwight Freeney.
    This loss falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. The Steelers with a rookie quarterback will attack more than we did and we had the best trio of WRs, a Probowl RB and the MVP.

I want a tell all interview from Dungy on the egg that got laid in Gillette Stadium...

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree. I place the blame for this loss squarely on the coaching staff. They came up with a horrible, horrible game plan. It's typically not advisable to wave the white flag before the contest begins...
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

By the way, this year NONE of the teams from the wildcard round advanced. The bye week is as important as ever, and was lost by the colts early in the season.

and we play New England in the regular season in Foxboro AGAIN next year

Is David Stern making out the NFL schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty
    I agree. I place the blame for this loss squarely on the coaching staff. They came up with a horrible, horrible game plan. It's typically not advisable to wave the white flag before the contest begins...
    Exactly right. I NEVER post on this forum but this has me pissed off enough. WTF was Moore calling? Are the Colts a conservative, dink-and-dunk, running, ball control team? Not in the past two years. So why did they play that way.

God forbid you come out against a team with problems in the secondary and actually throw the ball. Is it a coincidence that the one scoring drive came at the end of a half with time running out when they hurried things up and threw? I think not.

I HATE it when a team doesn't go with what got them there. And it isn't like the Patriots pressure was all that - other than the fumble Saturday fell on, did they register a sack all night? (I quit watching with about 5 minutes left BTW)

Pathetic. Play your friggin' game - not theirs.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I think the bigger problem is that the Colts need to build thier team around the prospects of playing playoff games outside in New England or Pittsburgh or Kansas City or Buffalo or other cold-weather cities. I think that, when push came to shove, the coaches realized that relying on a high-octane offense just isn't a good idea in the playoffs. Sure they could've danced with the girl they brought, and tried to open it up. They could've lost by even more. A better plan would be to trade certain of their high-priced 'skilled' players for some bruisers, especially in the front seven.

The Colts just aren't built to win games 9-7. And that's the only way that Pittsburgh or NE will lose at home in January. And that's not Manning's fault, and its not really Dungy's fault.

I do question if James is the type of RB you need to win playoff games. He's good but there's something to be said about guys that would rather run you over in the cold than try to dart around you.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Jay

As the former world's biggest Cowboys fan - I was at the Dallas-Pittsburgh Super Bowl in Miami. That why I hate even seeing that Terrible Towel.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

My blood's still boiling over SuperBowl XXX, and Neil O'Donnels two 4Q interceptions.

Or that the turf of Texas Stadium cost us Casey Hampton's knee this season, and that could still prove pivotal, he's an absolute force at NG.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I think the bigger problem is that the Colts need to build thier team around the prospects of playing playoff games outside in New England or Pittsburgh or Kansas City or Buffalo or other cold-weather cities. I think that, when push came to shove, the coaches realized that relying on a high-octane offense just isn't a good idea in the playoffs. Sure they could've danced with the girl they brought, and tried to open it up. They could've lost by even more. A better plan would be to trade certain of their high-priced 'skilled' players for some bruisers, especially in the front seven.

The Colts just aren't built to win games 9-7. And that's the only way that Pittsburgh or NE will lose at home in January. And that's not Manning's fault, and its not really Dungy's fault.
    I'm coming to believe we have at least two issues. I think both you and DK are hammering around the nail.

The historical recipe for playoff success is not a 'high octane' offense. ...

...and we have a coaching staff that truly doesn't believe in the system management is going with.

...And so when the stakes are highest they (coaching) will begin to revert back to a more traditional approach. The problem is, putting the game in the hands of this defense is a not going to work.

We have a Superbowl offense and a Poulan Weedeater Bowl defense. ..And a coaching staff not ready to totally believe in the system as it has been devised from ownership/management.

BTW... I believe Mora was more right than wrong.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sorry Btown, I've missed this...

Why don't you like Dungy?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by btownpacer
    Ever seen him coach in the playoffs? I don't think I really need to explain myself.

There's a reason Gruden won a Super Bowl with the exact same team (some would even argue a less talented one.........).

EDIT- I guess I will a little bit. It just comes down to this. He can take a really crappy team and turn them into a competitive one. But his style, his coaching philosohpies, and his game plans will never be successful in the playoffs. The best thing to do would be to unload him, and bring in Romeo Cromel at a big ol' whopping salary.
    The same thing that happened in Tampa, happened here as well. In Tampa their defense was lights out and their cap was invested heavily in that side of the ball. They tried to build from within and hoped one side would carry the other, and to an extent it did since they did win some playoff games but couldn't go all the way. When Tampa fired Dungy, they went out and got some help on offense, and became somewhat of a team.

However, the reason they won the SB was the fact that the holdouts played their asses off because they feared that they would go the way of Dungy if they didn't succeed. When they won, they got complacent and Gruden decided to build Raiders East and got rid of some of the key components that got them a SB. The Bucs are now masters of be

Look at the two coaches we have had in Peyton's tenure...

Mora- can take ****ty teams and make them respectable but alas can't win a single game in the playoffs.

Well we made the best turnaround in NFL History but couldn't win a damn thing in the playoffs.

Dungy- can take teams and win in the playoffs but cannot go all the way.

That's where we are today.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...