Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Week 6: @ Chargers

Default Re: Week 6: @ Chargers

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Remind me who was calling that game again? exactly.
    I think we are in agreement on Pagano.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    But what is he supposed to do about Darrius Heyward-Bey and Coby Fleener dropping touchdowns or Mike McGlynn being a disgrace to life itself? He's working with what he has and has adjusted to the team's strengths and weaknesses. Pep can't make the players hang on to the ball or make McGlynn block. The coaching staff has a problem and it's the head coach's inability to sack up and go for it on a 4th down.
    First of all, I think the dropped passes were the main problem. I have seen enough of Darrius Heyward-Bey at this point to cringe every time I see the ball thrown his way. And I agree, the lack of stones to go for the 4th-and-2 was weak as ****.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Punt.

For some reason every loss to the Chargers pisses me off more than it should. Phillip Rivers' face just pisses me off I think.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    For some reason every loss to the Chargers pisses me off more than it should. Phillip Rivers' face just pisses me off I think.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Remind me who was calling that game again? exactly.
    It was Clyde Christenson. I like the gameplan except for that one 4th down call. We just didn't execute today.

Bright side: Andrew Luck hasn't lost back-to-back games in 3 years.

Well it's going to happen this time
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I should've known we were doomed when they were going to bring out the powder blue jerseys.

Regardless of what they say they did overlook the Chargers because of next week.

At the end of the day they're still a young team so I expect them to make mistakes.

Can't really say Peyton is the only one with a Chargers block its the entire Colts team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Yep. As angry as I am, it isn't the end of the world.

Everyone had an off night pretty much, except for Adam.

Yeah it was pretty much

Vinateri 9 Chargers 19

The only bright spot in all of this is that the rest of the division lost this weekend as well.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 10-15-2013 at 01:29 AM.

Sports Logo

worth noting Pat McAfee's been pretty crappy this year, and he's a FA after the year. Hopefully he's not getting distracted with his 50 media engagements he does every week.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Luck apparently is human after all.

Team loss. Pep's play calling might suck but if Heward-Bay and Coby Fleener knew how to catch footballs we might be able to pull this out.

Again, team loss, the only person who didn't suck tonight was Adam. Not going for it on 4th and 2 was soft football at its best.

Now I can't watch ESPN for a week.

(Which probably isn't a bad thing)

Also, worst 4-2, division leading team ever....
    I hope you don't think ESPN cares about the colts or bolts enough to talk about this game a lot.

Also you could be 0-5 so this frustration over this game is entertaining to me.

Really crappy defense for only giving up 19 points. Offense? Nuf said. Played like we've been reading our recent press clippings or something. Bolts had sense of urgency. We had nothin.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Really crappy defense for only giving up 19 points. Offense? Nuf said. Played like we've been reading our recent press clippings or something. Bolts had sense of urgency. We had nothin.
    Yeah, it felt like they were already focusing on the Broncos and just overlooked the Chargers.

I know that pass was a little off to DHB, but for the love of god just make a play DHB. It hit your right hand and if you just lay out a bit you make a huge play. That was the DHB that Raider fans all know and hate. I know the guy is a good blocker and that is probably the reason we are keeping him where we are, but good lord the guy is useless in any other aspect of the game.

Maybe it is being spoiled for years by Peyton, but I just hate our slow tempo offense. All of these formations and trading in and out of personnel just slows Luck down. I just do not think this type of offense maximizes his abilities. I think it would even help Trent if we move things faster get the defenses to stay on the field and then pound them with the pass and Trent. We all know when we bring in our "power" formation we are going to run. At times this offense is just to predictable and everyone knows when we are going to run the ball.

Losing was not the way I wanted to go into the Broncos game.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

We couldn't do anything on offense and couldn't hold them defensively. Just a poor game overall
    Smothered Chicken!

I'm going to the doctor today to get my 'Coby Fleener Flu Shot'.

I've been told I'll never catch anything.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ahhh...don't know why I stayed up until 7 A.M. for this crap. I guess because of Luck just in case he achieved another comeback.

100% deserved win by SD. They were smart, ran the ball well, killed a a lot of time off the clock and they scored a TD something we didn't do.

Was screaming to the TV watching that unacceptable stupidity exhibited by Toler and that fat LB #54 who couldn't turn. He sucks even for a back up. Toler, gave up what 2 first downs by penalties when San Diego were about to punt after not completing the 3rd down? I know Freeman was injured but watching that LB and Toler giving up catches to SD's WR and TE was frustrating.

Add to that the DHB's and Fleener's inability to catch the ball and voila.
    Also did you know that the KO returner, Reed, is a home run hitter? You saw it right? I wish sometimes Pagano did the psychological build up in private.

At the end of the day, our pass rush wasn't there at all, we didn't make the catches when needed, we didn't have much of the ball and we didn't convert 3rd downs. The loss came as totally natural.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh forgot to add. What was the exact playcalling in the first quarter on that 3rd down and 1? You know the one Luck starts immediately running to his left thus making almost impossible to throw the ball with accuracy?

Also, I just saw cdash's post and thanked it. That 4th down and 2 in the end with 3 minutes left and some seconds where we decided to punt, was a ****** weak *** playcalling. Why not take the chance? What else have you got to lose? The game is winding down and San Diego made it 2 possession game afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    IRegardless of what they say they did overlook the Chargers because of next week.

At the end of the day they're still a young team so I expect them to make mistakes.
    So do you really think most of the Colts current players are all geeked up to play against Manning? Why would they be? I mean how many actual current Colts players played with Manning? 3, 5? I really don't know, but my guess is most of the Colts players don't see playing against the Broncos as that big of a deal, except they are undefeated.

I seriously doubt the Colts were over-looking the Chargers. or if they were it wasn't because of next week's game

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    We had 35 drop backs and 13 runs how is that conservative.

It's not just a matter of drop backs vs. runs. It's the type of plays and formations that we're running. The formations and constant substitutions do not maximize Luck's abilities, and they chop up the flow of the offense. We need a fast offense with constant 3WR formations. And we need to throw down field more. Sure, Bey and Fleener dropped long balls, but I feel that the only reason we flew a long ball to Fleener in that situation was because we were running a hurry up at the end of the half. On a "normal" drive, it's likely that we wouldn't have thrown the ball like that. This offense just has an ugly flow to it right now. We almost lost that Oakland game because of it.

I'm a huge fan of Pagano from a philosophy and motivational standpoint. The culture he has created is no doubt a major reason why we are 4-2 this season. But his in-game decisions leave a lot to be desired at times. At the end of that SF game, we scored a touchdown to go up 12. Instead of going for 2 to give us a 14 point lead, we took the PAT to go up 13. At the end of the game, there was no difference between a 12 and 13 point lead. In that situation, we should have tried to go for 2 to give us the 14 point lead just in case SF scored quickly and then recovered an onside kick. It obviously didn't hurt us, but that's just a poor understanding of situational football. Then last week against Seattle, we did not let Luck throw on a 3rd and 9 that would have iced the game since Seattle had no timeouts. Instead, we ran the ball like two yards to move it from a 51 yard FG to a 49 yard one. We put all of our hopes in a long Vinny FG to go up 6. He made it, but Seattle still had plenty of time to score a touchdown. And if he would have missed it, we would have only been up 3 and Seattle would have had solid field position. We should have let our red hot QB make a throw to win that game, and THEN kick the FG if he didn't convert the third down. Decisions like that will bite us in the future.

And of course, last night there were two awful decisions that stand out. With about 4 minutes left in the third quarter and down 13-6, we had put together a nice drive and were on the SD 40. Instead of letting Luck go for it on a 4th and 3 and capitalizing on momentum to possibly tie the game, we punt it back to SD and give them the ball back after not being able to do jack to stop them. That's just losing football there. And of course the decision to punt on that 4th and 2 at the end of the game was absolutely horrific and was essentially waiving the white flag. You don't punt the ball there to give them the ball when they are so close to FG range. Of course they were going to make a FG after that. Converting a 4th and 2 is your last chance to make a stand. We would have at least had a chance if we tried. But we had zero chance when we punted. SD's head coach should send Pagano a Thank You note for wrapping the game up for him.

Like I said, Pagano's philosophy is a huge reason we have been so successful this season. But some of his in-game decisions are extremely irritating.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-15-2013 at 12:01 PM.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    So do you really think most of the Colts current players are all geeked up to play against Manning? Why would they be? I mean how many actual current Colts players played with Manning? 3, 5? I really don't know, but my guess is most of the Colts players don't see playing against the Broncos as that big of a deal, except they are undefeated.

I seriously doubt the Colts were over-looking the Chargers. or if they were it wasn't because of next week's game
    I agree with this. The Chargers are a solid team, it was a tough road game, and we didn't make plays. Simple as that. The Manning excuse overlooks what actually happened on the field last night.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Oh forgot to add. What was the exact playcalling in the first quarter on that 3rd down and 1? You know the one Luck starts immediately running to his left thus making almost impossible to throw the ball with accuracy?

Also, I just saw cdash's post and thanked it. That 4th down and 2 in the end with 3 minutes left and some seconds where we decided to punt, was a ****** weak *** playcalling. Why not take the chance? What else have you got to lose? The game is winding down and San Diego made it 2 possession game afterwards.
    It's a rollout off play action that is designed to free up the fullback for an easy completion. The problem with that play is that the LB read the play and did not fall for the play action.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    The problem with that play is that the LB read the play and did not fall for the play action.
    Needed to hit right bumper before the play call and not run the play to the short side of the field. There was no option to make a play after the shut down the initial read, and there wasn't enough room to even look at picking it up running.

They've got to start using more play action. I like the idea of the power running game, but when you show run you can't seriously actually run the ball 99% of the time. The whole point of the play action is to set up passing, so freaking do it.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

As more of a layman, it just seemed like 'everything' was going wrong last night, and that's what it took to lose a semi-close game. It was awful to sit through, but the miserable experience of it aside, it took a lot of wrongs to lose a game that wasn't a blowout and still could have gone the other way most of the game.

In other words, it was really bad, and yet it told me the team is still pretty damn good. Assuming they don't make any bad habits based on last night.

I mean what SD did to us is what we need to do to Denver. Kill time and control the tempo. I also believe Pep needs to let Andrew have more freedom and try more 5 wide sets.
    Smothered Chicken!