Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to make this a political discussion, but sometimes I wish the government shutdown would have covered I-65. The vermin in red was THAT bad last night. I saw one getting carried out of the next to G2 by the security guard lovingly known as Lurch and getting cuffed by two IMPD officers before being led out of the building, and the ones to the left of Area 55 weren't much better.

Bloody vermin. Im pretty sure they thought they won the preseason championship or something.

It's probably the first and last time most will ever see a Bulls game in person.
    PSN: bhm184

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bird Fan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Observations from the first pre-season game vs. the Bulls for 13/14 season.

Haven't watched the game, can't comment much on how our guys performed. But to me I think they tried to be a little experimental given the minute spread-out and the different lineup combinations they played throughout the game. I guess it's better that they remove the bad out of their system here in the preseason while it's not counted as a loss.

Well, at least Danny played out without minding much of his knees while playing a good amount of minutes. I don't really mind much if we win or lose in the pre-season for as long as we'll get our guys in game shape on October 29 onwards. As I mentioned in the win-loss prediction thread for the pre-season games, I see them lose about half of the games and not take these too hard.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was at the game so I'll give a little.

Well I sat behind the backboard and I have to say there was a lot of
    bulls fans there ha. Towards the 3rd quarter a few Pacer fans were arguing with Bulls fans about whos better. I was like "whaaat? its preseason chill" they got into a heated arguement for a good 10 minutes that it even lead to a Colts and Bears arguement haha.

Anyways I'll discuss some players:

Granger: You could defiantly tell he hasn't played in forever. He missed so many easy layups and airballed half of his shots ha. I didn't think anything about it against for a good laugh. Do you expect him to
    come out with 25 and 6? Not gonna happen. Give him time.

George: I don't know how he fouled so much. I swear Rose was getting crappy calls towards him which causes George to get in foul trouble. He is going to br awesome this year. In the 3rd quarter when he went on his little scoring spurt was an awesome sight. I sat there thinking "Man this guy was so quiet his first two seasons." Now you can tell he wants to win.

Hibbert: Yea he missed a lot of bunnies around the rim but he had a lot of hustle. One of his fouls when he went straight up with Rose was BS though. I feel like Hibbert tried to play out of his game yesterday. He seemed to try jumpshots and a lot of spin post moves. Usually you see him just back his man down.

West: You can see he lost so weight. He had his jumper on lock but I didn't really notice at all throughout the game. He played a small spurt of great defense. Besides that I didnt notice him.

Stephenson: He seemed to attack the basketball but I don't think i saw him attempt many jumpshots really.

Scola: He missed a lot bunnies and didn't seemed to know how to play defense.

Copeland: He didn't reall do anything but jack shots up. He looked like a 2K game where they wing ball to the shooter and he misses and they swing the ball to him again and he misses and so on haha.

G. Hill: He did alright. He looked like a PG more than he usually has. Seemed like he was looking to open other people up. he did't really do anything else.

S.Hill: He is going to do alright in this league. The way he played yestersay reminded me of a younger Tony Allen. That layup had me laughing like crazy though.

Mahinmi: I could see us trying to trade him by the deadline. He just can't keep ahold of the ball and a liability on offense

Its just Preseason though.
    “This was just a taste,” George said. “I want to be here every year until I can’t go no more.”

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingGeorge_24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The national media and most of the basketball world is probably discounting the Pacers after this game. I would say we have something to prove at this point. That's not a bad situation to be in. I thought we had passed the Bulls, but that may not be the case at all.
    Preseason game, no one pays attattention

Bulls are good, not based on this game, but they are good.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think the Pacers were really trying to win this game. If they were, Frank would've played the starters more. This game reminded me how much preseason basketball stinks. Poor shooting, turnovers, and weird rotations are a staple always seem to be what we get from the Pacers every year. IMO, the coaching staff was more interested in evaluating the bench and new players than they were in winning the game.

Danny doesn't look like he can jump over a phone book right now as evidenced by those missed layups. He had a lot of trouble with his transition defense. Overall he just looked rusty.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    • I’ve saved the worst for last. We were trying to win that game. What I mean by that was that Frank treated that far more like a regular season game than a pre-season game. Just look at our rotations and the amount of min. our starters played. I’m not sure the Bulls did. Their bench players and even a couple of what I assume will be deep bench players all throughout the game while we didn’t until the very end. In other words our starters and regular rotation players could not overcome the Bulls team minus Noah & a limited Rose. Again, go to the very fist paragraph I wrote so I already know what people are going to say, I’m going to say it as well but to me it was worth noting this.
    The Bulls were trying to win this game as well. Jimmy Butler played 30 minutes and Taj Gibson (without Noah he's practically a starter for them) played 31 minutes.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Preseason game, no one pays attattention

Bulls are good, not based on this game, but they are good.
    Bulls are just a bad matchup for the Pacers. They also have two big wings that can defend. Normally the B&G can count on a size advantage somewhere and the Bulls just really don't give that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

I just looked at draft express out of curiosity, Danny is in fact 1.5 inches taller than Solomon Hill. Danny's arms are stupid long too, so I'm sure that makes it appear like he's much taller than he is..
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

I was watching Lance during warmups, and his stroke is so much smoother. Didn't get to see it much during the game, but you can tell he has been putting in work on his shooting.

You all shouldn't put too much thought into the effort or outcome of this game. I'm sure most of our guys had alot on their minds, having to leave for the Philippines about an hour after the game. Plus its the first game of the preseason, you main goal is just don't get injured, so thats why you didn't see our guys chasing down rebounds.

These next 2 against Houston won't matter much either. I don't think you see the team really dialed in until 4th pre-season game against Dallas.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Peck -

Lois Scola. Unintentional or implied/hidden meaning?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Our rotations played heavy minutes because we don't play until Wednesday. They will be on a plane for 18 hours. They played heavy minutes not to win, but for conditioning.
    Yeah, but playing the Starters more minutes than one would expect in a Pre-Season game while going into what appeared to be a loss in Pre-Season halfway through the 4th QTR? I agree with Peck, I get the sense that Vogel was approaching this as a "Statement" game.....since it was the Bulls and it was the 1st game that DRose played in.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Yeah, but playing the Starters more minutes than one would expect in a Pre-Season game while going into what appeared to be a loss in Pre-Season halfway through the 4th QTR? I agree with Peck, I get the sense that Vogel was approaching this as a "Statement" game.....since it was the Bulls and it was the 1st game that DRose played in.
    Even if it was, and the players now feel down about it....I think you have to ask so what? We've got a whole preseason and an 82 game season to bounce back. Nobody wins all the tough ones or even all of the easy ones. No big deal either way.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    Weird how Solo played so much more than Cope.
    It's not that weird, imo. Solo played as the back-up SG while Cope played as the 3rd PF.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Why do you think the rebounding was so bad? We were at or near the top of the league last year.
    We were at the top of the league last year. I don't believe that anything is going to change in this season. We will still be one of the top rebounding teams.

The rebounding was bad today due to those following reasons, imo:

1) Lack of chemistry in our second unit due to this being their first game together. This lack of chemistry led to defensive miscommunications that led to guys being in the wrong spot and thus losing the rebounds.

2) We got outhustled by Chicago. Simply put, they wanted this win more. We did hustle at points but we didn't match their intensity throughout the game.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Copeland is what I expected, a longer version of Gerald Green the guy shoots open or not, he doesn't give a damn about passing the ball and taking a better shot.
    I think that Copeland had a clear instruction from Vogel to "get in the game and try to bring us back".

It's important to note that Cope was the only player in that unit that had experience in bringing a team back in a pro game.

The first play that was drawn out when he got in was a side pick and pop with Cope as the receiver that got him an open 3 (that he missed) and in the next offensive possessions our players were setting screens for Cope to get open. That seemed like a clear instruction to me.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    The starter that played the most in this game played for the Bulls (Jimmy Butler with 30 minutes). The player that played the most minutes (Taj Gibson with 31 minutes) was also a Bull and is the de jure starter when Noah is out (since he always plays more than Nazr). On top of that, the Bulls hustled a lot more than us which indicates that they wanted the game more.

The only reason that Frank played the starters late in the 4th was because he didn't play them at the start of the 4th like Thibs did with his own starters.

Also, let's add up the minutes that both teams starters played (and let's add Nazr as a starter even though he isn't really a starter and played less than Taj):

Bulls: 25 + 25 + 21 + 20 + 30 = 121 minutes

Pacers: 27 + 27 + 28 + 25 + 18 = 125 minutes

The difference in minutes played is really minimal. I don't think that either coach instructed their team that they have to win this game. Chicago's players seemed to want it a bit more individually but that's it.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Regarding that Hibbert's foul on Rose that everyone was chippy about it. I want you to clear it up for me. From what I saw, Hibbert was vertical but he also dropped his hands down trying to block Rose. Now, did he get the ball or Rose's hands? Couldn't see that well cause the image was a bit grainy.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    • I wanted the Pacers to let Lance guard Rose for a play or two just to see how it would work. I think he can do it for spurts and his lack of respect for anyone would drive Rose up the wall. Perfect from the line, good shot selection and he made a real effort on the boards. I think he is going to have to look for his own shot a little more but overall a good game.
    I love how far Lance has come as a player and young man whereby this can be stated and taken in a totally positive light. I would love to see that too.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

All I could take from this game is that Lance only knows how to play one speed which is kind of awesome, but also terrifies me that he's going to hurt himself in a meaningless game. I thought perhaps Vogel was trying to win the game, but I honestly am not sure the starters cared. There were a lot of times we lost rebounds simply because we didn't chase hard engouh. I thought the starters played one stretch where they were trying to win, from the start of the 3rd quarter til Paul picked up his 5th foul, whcih was about a 7 minute stretch and in that stretch we blitzed the hell out of the Bulls. We outscored them 21-8 to take a 44-41 half time deficit to a 62-52 lead. Paul during this time period was other worldly. He's added a step in, step back jumper expansion pack to his patented 3 point curl that he hit 3 times, that move is pretty much unguardable for someone of his height. Basically for those who couldn't or didn't watch, Paul runs his baseline curl to the elbow of the 3 that we've seen him run hundreds of times, he receive the ball from Lance or Hill and if he's open he pops the 3, but now if the man guarding him is able to fight through, he's added a move where he takes the guy inside the 3 point line, does a little hesitation move and then nails a step back mid range J, it is a move that no NBA Pacer has ever had.

Also during that stretch, I think we had at least 2 steals and pretty much dominated the boards.

West is so much better than Boozer it is comical.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 10-07-2013 at 09:47 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    West is so much better than Boozer it is comical.

Lol of course you are going to say this

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Boozer is a horrible defender and a below average rebounder. The only way he rebounds is when he pushes people in the back.

West is a better screener.
    West is a better rebounder
    West is a better pick and pop
    West is a better passer
    Boozer is slightly better in the post against good defenders. The problem is he isn't any better in the post against poor defenders, while West abuses them.
    West elevates his game, Boozer coasts too often.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

And eventhough David shaves his head, he still has better "hair."

Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Lol of course you are going to say this
    I think your responses are far more predictable than his.

Banned

West is the better rebounder but how come Boozer averages more rebounds? West rebounded over double digits 14 times last year compared to Boozer's 46 times, Boozer grabbed 771 rebounds compared to West 563(208 more rebounds than West)

And sure West is better at pick and pop but "at everything else" as you guys are suggesting West is not that much better than Boozer, if anything Boozer was the better player last year, he had a bigger chance to be an all star before West(many reports confirm this).

And to those that like to overreact note that this conversation is not with you.