Thread: Patriots sign WR Austin Collie

Default Patriots sign WR Austin Collie

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...-austin-collie

Patriots sign WR Austin Collie

The New England Patriots have signed veteran wide receiver Austin Collie, according to a league source.

Collie, who will wear No. 10 for the team, was spotted at Thursday's practice during the media availability, though the team has not yet officially announced the move.

The veteran wide receiver spent training camp with the 49ers before being released during the team's final cut downs. He has worked out for other teams since that time, but will now have a chance to contribute in New England, where four of the team's six wide receivers were on Wednesday's injury report.

Originally a 2009 fourth-round pick of the Indianapolis Colts, the 27-year-old Collie was limited to just one game during the 2012 season due to a ruptured patellar tendon. He has also dealt with concussions in recent seasons.

When healthy, the 6-foot-1, 200-pound receiver has been a productive player, as he totaled 172 receptions during his first three NFL seasons, all with the Colts. His best season came during his rookie year in 2009 during which managed 60 catches for 676 yards while catching passes from Peyton Manning.

The Patriots have been without their top receiver, Danny Amendola, since Week 1, as he has missed three straight games due to a groin issue. A pair of rookie receivers, Kenbrell Thompkins (shoulder) and Aaron Dobson (neck), suffered injuries in Week 4 that limited them during practice on Wednesday.

The status of all three is unclear for Week 5, though Collie provides insurance and experience at the position.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Patriots sign WR Austin Collie

As much as I dislike the Pats, good for them and good for Austin. Hopefully he sticks and hopefully this means Tom will start getting me points in Fantasy.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

It's just a shame that this guy had all of those concussions. He was a damn talented player. Him and Luck would have been fabulous together.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I fear this will end badly with a blow to the head.

I hope not, though, of course, but 4 concussions in 15 months...

someone may need to save him from himself
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 10-03-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

The Pats have now signed three former offensive Colts in the last two seasons:

Addai
    Anthony Gonzalez
    Collie

Of course, neither Addai or Gonzalez ever made it anywhere near the regular season roster.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-03-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Don't do it Austin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...quan-williams/

Patriots cut Austin Collie, sign LaQuan Williams

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 5, 2013, 2:54 PM EST

Getty Images
    Austin Collie’s stint in New England didn’t last long.

Collie, the veteran receiver who signed with the Patriots five weeks ago, has been released, according to Field Yates of ESPNBoston.com.

The 27-year-old Collie played three games with the Patriots and caught three passes for 34 yards. Although Collie showed a lot of promise early in his career with the Colts, he has played sparingly the last two years after he had a series of concussions. He also suffered a knee injury on Sunday against the Steelers.

The Patriots have also signed former Ravens wide receiver LaQuan Williams. Although Williams has less experience as a receiver than Collie, he’s a better special teams player, and now that the Patriots are getting healthier in the passing game, a receiver who can contribute on special teams is a higher priority.

He's back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's back again.

While I really want Austin to hang it up for his sake I can honestly say it did cross my mind maybe the Colts could use the help.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I really want Austin to hang it up for his sake I can honestly say it did cross my mind maybe the Colts could use the help.
    I thought of him too but in the context of "Wow, the Colts only have 4 receivers on the roster, one of whom has 0 NFL catches, and they're still not willing to sign Austin Collie."

I can understand why the Colts are hesitant based on past history.

That being said we could've used him but our track record with injuries this season he's probably better off.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

No Dobson, No Thompkins

Amendola, Edelman, Collie, Gronk....

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)